HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:14 AM

Exactly how could one not know it is being built. From the airtrain at JFK you notice 2 things the Empire State and 1 WTC, they are huge and everything else looks non existent. Maybe they don't realize its the world trade center, But I'd find it hard to believe that any person entering Manhattan wouldn't glance at that tower for at least few seconds.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have to say, I never was a fan of this building, but the taller it gets, the better it looks. I didn't expect it to look so iconic in the skyline, it's beautiful! I'm not that bummed out that the other towers have been delayed because this tower along with 4WTC really have filled out the skyline quite nicely. It's exciting to see that old view of New York again, I can't wait to see the view from the observation deck someday...
Ha, I totally agree with that! 1 WTC (and 4 WTC) is filling out the skyline quite nicely right now. It's going to be SO weird when it's completely topped out/completely cladded... I'm so used to the under-construction building. It just feels completely right to me whenever I see skyline pictures.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:58 AM

You can say that people. I know people that think that this building would be shorter than the original Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:28 AM

The tower is going to be iconic.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ To show how iconic this building is... About 8 million people live in NYC, and about less than 3 million know that a NEW WTC is even being built.
That's impossible. Anyone living anywhere near Manhattan can't not know 1 WTC exists. It's a huge building and you can almost see it from the east side of Brooklyn. I say cite your source, or did you just make up that number?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:55 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Immigrants make up 40% of the city population. Very few immigrants know about the WTC. That leaves about 5 million people who live in NYC born in the USA. About 1.1 million KIDS go to 1,700 schools in NYC. Some are immigrants. So lets round off to 700,000 kids born in the USA who go to school in NYC. Some kids are smart but most kids don't know shit. That leaves 4.3 million. 41,000 homeless people live in NYC. Some were at one point middle class, but most don't know about the WTC. That leaves 4.2 million. 1.3 million people in NYC are over the age of 60. Half might know about the WTC. That leaves 3.6 million people.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
That's impossible. Anyone living anywhere near Manhattan can't not know 1 WTC exists. It's a huge building and you can almost see it from the east side of Brooklyn. I say cite your source, or did you just make up that number?
I am sooooo not defending any one argument over the other, however, I do have a friend here in California who is from NYCity ,she stayed in Manhattan for a while and didnt even really know about the old World Trade Center towers like that until 9/11. I called her real ignorant for that lol . . . but its a possilbilty either way . . . just sayin . . . dont tar and feather me

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:52 AM

Apparently immigrants don't notice tall buildings? funny considering how many of them helped build landmark skyscrapers like the Empire State.

I think there is a big difference between not knowing it exists and caring about its construction. I'm sure there are plenty of people who view it as a building and nothing more and really don't follow anything about it, But most of those people are probably aware a new large building is being erected downtown.

In regards to other comments about the observation decks I wonder if the 3 deck system is because they are expecting a large demand. I love Rockefeller Centers top of the Rock because of its 3 floors which allow you to usually find a good spot to stake out without being overrun like the Empire State's decks.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

Perhaps back in 2008 people had no idea a new World Trade Center, more specifically Tower One was being built because there was nothing to show for. I've noticed a lot more New Yorkers actually know about Tower One now because it stands out in the skyline. It's not steel beams just starting to rise from a foundation anymore, it's a skyscraper now. The same goes for Tower 4 because look how far that one has come along and it's been under construction about 4 years now meanwhile Tower 1 will hit 6 years this coming April.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ To show how iconic this building is... About 8 million people live in NYC, and about less than 3 million know that a NEW WTC is even being built.

I know all about it, and I'm all the way out here in Denver.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 11:37 AM
Bionic Boogie

from a distance...

IMG_3311 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_777 View Post

In regards to other comments about the observation decks I wonder if the 3 deck system is because they are expecting a large demand. I love Rockefeller Centers top of the Rock because of its 3 floors which allow you to usually find a good spot to stake out without being overrun like the Empire State's decks.
Yup, the designing team made an estimate of the total number of visitors and realised they would need the 102nd floor. I'm guessing you'll be able to choose between 100 & 101 and the 102nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
The same goes for Tower 4 because look how far that one has come along and it's been under construction about 4 years now
So true, people is starting to confuse which one is the "Freedom Tower".

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 2:38 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Trailing away from the controversial argument that's taking place right now, I have a question about the beacon. According to wtc.com, the spire emits a horizontal beam of light from its beacon.http://www.wtc.com/about/freedom-tow...-center-design You guys are saying the beacon shoots the light vertically. I'm really confused right now, can somebody who knows what their talking about please help?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffybagel View Post
Trailing away from the controversial argument that's taking place right now, I have a question about the beacon. According to wtc.com, the spire emits a horizontal beam of light from its beacon.http://www.wtc.com/about/freedom-tow...-center-design You guys are saying the beacon shoots the light vertically. I'm really confused right now, can somebody who knows what their talking about please help?
A little bit of both depening on which animation you see.

As far as knowledge of the rebuilding goes, there are many people who aren't aware of exactly what is going on, even as they see the towers rise. (most people in general just aren't into skyscrapers). Of the people who are aware, most of them think the Freedom Tower will be the world's tallest. When this tower is [i]built[i], it will become the face of New York around the world. David Childs designed this tower to be simple and iconic, something even a child could remember. I will rival the Empire State itself in terms of popularity.

cvhedge

JeremyPhoto

NEOCLEOPHILE

-ytf-

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffybagel View Post
The beam will be horizontal - It was originally conceived to blink the letter N in Morse code but the mirror and mechanism were very complicated and probably would not have survived the environment and first few lightning strikes. So it will be a horizontal beam like a light house beacon and will be provided by strong lighting. Here is their URL http://www.strong-world.com/Products/Lighting.aspx

alan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:23 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Thumbs up

Thanks for the prompt, concise, and clear responces guys, it really helped

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:50 PM
Bionic Boogie

Beautiful morning in NYC.....cold but sunny!

DSC_5362 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:08 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
I know all about it, and I'm all the way out here in Denver.
The same for me in San Francisco along with many others here. The anti immigrant statements are absurd and plainly ignorant too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:26 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Yeah, and according to him, all hobos, elders, and children are completely stupid and oblivious of their surroundings. Ridiculous assumptions. in my opinion.

Last edited by Fluffybagel; Feb 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:31 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

And P.S., you have any statistics that support your numbers? Because it seems that your just assuming that if the person isn't a U.S. born legal adult in NYC, they can't take the time to notice the most obvious in their surroundings. You don't need to be a genius to recognize that construction is occurring. Ignorance shouldn't affiliate with cluelessness, IMO.

Last edited by Fluffybagel; Feb 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive