HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxyz View Post
Actually, it is still called Mecca. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name of a city in one language being different than another.
It is still spelled Mecca in English by many people, but the Saudi authorities have made all signs and references to it in English to "Makkah" because "mecca" is being used as a term in English now to refer to any place of interest to many people, for eg. "Las Vegas is the mecca of gambling".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:06 AM
Back in the Windy City

The Associated Press is planning a feature on changes in Mecca, with special emphasis on this project. I can't share the details because the story is embargoed until August 13.

Incidentally, the AP, which is one of the guardians of language in English-speaking nations, continues to spell the city's name as "Mecca."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 2:20 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

..and La Mecque in french. At the end, it is still is the same city.

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 10:53 PM

Are Muslims outside of Saudi Arabia pissed off about this?

The Saudis are Wahhabist, and its a fundamental tenet of that sect to not be concerned with famous / important structures, buildings, objects, etc. They consider it a form of idolatry. So the Saudis probably don't care about building a supertall structure right next to one of the most holy sites in the Muslim world because it's just a building. But other Muslims might be, no?

Is there anyone here from the region who knows if this has been controversial?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 11:07 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

hmmm It's a nice building. The tower goes well with the city and a GIANT digital clock would look horrible in a tower like this one. Since the building is designed to match with the religion it's obvious they can not make a modern looking building if they want it to be similar to the style/religion of the city.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 11:17 PM

I'll avoid commenting on the incompatibility that you allude to between Islam and modernity (not that I necessarily disagree, but that's not a conversation for this forum). I think they'd be better of stopping where they are now and not building the tallest building in the center, personally.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
The Abraj Al Bait Towers is a building complex under construction (Completion 2008) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. It will be the largest (not tallest) building in the world by mass, the tallest building in Saudi Arabia, and one of the tallest buildings in the world at 577 m.

The site of the structure is across the street from the entrance to the Masjid al Haram, which houses the Kaaba, the holiest site in Islam. As a result, the Abraj Al Bait Towers will have a large prayer room capable of holding nearly four thousand worshippers. It will contain a five-star hotel to help accommodate the over two million pilgrims who participate in hajj each year.

In addition, the Abraj Al Bait Towers will have a four-story shopping mall and a parking garage capable of holding over eight hundred vehicles. Residential towers will house permanent residents while two heliports and a conference center are to accommodate business travellers. In total, up to 65,000 people would be housed inside the Towers.

Previous Designs:

400m?

Old Design (2005):

485m.

Now Design (2007):

577m.

U/C picture from March

Enjoy!
I'm so thrilled by this project! Thanks Dubai for providing the images, etc. This project is way to underacknowledged here in the States. Al Bait gives the impression of a mini city within a city. It also does well at recognizing in a large scale the existance of business and capitalism in Saudi Arabia. With that, shows muslims and international observers that there is more to associate Saudi Arabia with than Mecca. The sheer magnitude of this project is astounding - occupied height - not so much. It will earn respect among the tallest towers provided the spire/structural adornment. The giant clock is a great element of the tower as it adds a demension of logic and science but to me seems sort of out of place as it reflects some Western/British influence. I quoted the original pix to refresh the forum and to also recharge some intelligent discussion on the design/impact of the project.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 11:28 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I've heard Mecca has no metro, with so many people isn't it really time they built one? That way they could build a lot more further away while still being in easy reach of the grand mosque and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 1:30 AM

this project is so weird, in my personal opinion i dont like this

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 4:10 AM

with so much oil money I would expect to see more high-rises in Saudi Arabia.

I do not like this project at all. The leaders must be too busy playing buy the European prostitutes to pay any attention to the real designs.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 5:25 AM
Cleared for takeoff

Whats the overall sq ftage?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 10:26 AM

I like it! It's got a bit of an old royale palace theme to it that fits well with the area.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch View Post
I would have preferred this version

wow! amazing!!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork View Post
wow! amazing!!
Yes, I agree this initial rendering would have been amazing.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 10:35 PM

For sure, that model is the best out of all the versions!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 12:24 AM
Back in the Windy City

I wonder how Jews would feel if this were being built in Jerusalem, or Christians if it were Bethlehem.

Gimme some other religion/city combos. Who'd want this? Who wouldn't?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:37 AM

For such a massive structure, isn't 800 parking spots way too few? I would think 8000 would be a more reasonable number....

Asheesh

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled View Post
I wonder how Jews would feel if this were being built in Jerusalem, or Christians if it were Bethlehem.

Gimme some other religion/city combos. Who'd want this? Who wouldn't?
But then again, Jesus' birthplace is a small, serene space, while the Kaaba is about grandeur and ability to accomodate as many people as possible. Though it's debatable whether the building is too grand for its location, it is definitely more fitting for where it is as opposed to other religious centers for other religions.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 7:16 AM
The Desert Apple

FYI: This thing is very visible and fairly recent looking on Google maps.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
But then again, Jesus' birthplace is a small, serene space, while the Kaaba is about grandeur and ability to accomodate as many people as possible. Though it's debatable whether the building is too grand for its location, it is definitely more fitting for where it is as opposed to other religious centers for other religions.
Good point about Bethlehem. What about the Vatican?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive