HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:16 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR2NY- View Post
If this building gets approval and goes up, I think it's possible that we're going to start seeing alot more 'dubai-like' buildings around NYC.
Why would we want to?

New York need not emulate; it is a model for others. (To paraphrase Sen. Moynihan)

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

From worldarchitecturnews.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:46 PM

Just because an assembly of shapes makes a pretty cool form, it doesn't mean that this form is bound to make a good building. Koolhaas' only requirement was to create an iconic tower; wasn't there a more graceful solution to the problem?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:13 PM

Design is rather European in it's form, I am not sure it is the best one, but it is certainly original.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 10:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Koolhaas' only requirement was to create an iconic tower; wasn't there a more graceful solution to the problem?
Maybe a 1,000 footer would have done the trick. I don't mind the design for this one though. It's certainly distinctive for JC.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Maybe a 1,000 footer would have done the trick. I don't mind the design for this one though. It's certainly distinctive for JC.
What I was saying is there are thousands of ways to make a building distinctive and iconic, even a 600 footer, and the architect had to stick to the most prosaic and awkward one - 3 nearly identical boxes stacked one on top of anther, one turned at 90 degrees. Original and memorable? Yes. Awkward? even more so. It's the same as if the teacher assigned to do an essay on an original and memorable person you have met, and you write your essay on that cracked-out toothless bum that's the only one of his kind in your nice suburban town.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This project is canceled. Should probably be moved to not clutter the proposal section.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive