HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:46 PM

That's actually my least favorite view, because you get the worst side of Comcast Center, and the fat side of CTC. Philly's skyline lends itself really well to angle shots, whether from the north east on I-95, South Street, Spring Garden bridge, etc. Shots looking due west from NJ look nice, as you can see the separation between the main buildings as well as CC's slender (and better looking) E/W side, though you lose the density. From the North is OK too, because the "window" on CC is smaller and better looking than the giant square on the south.

I'm curious to see how the shots from NJ will look once this is complete. Will CC totally eclipse it, or will it peak out from behind? While I really like this building, it's width really doesn't work well for sklyine shots from the south. That's not a criticism of this building, just facts based on the position of all the buildings.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:35 AM

R5 - Interesting-thx. I actually think the view of CTC from CBP is impressive since it's so unusual to have that kind of width go so high on a supertall. (LA's Wilshire Grand can't compare to CTC because of its 200' flagpole & SF's Salesforce has the height but is too slender in this regard.) Phillies are out of town for a week so probably will be awhile until someone posts a current photo of Center City from inside the ballpark.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:53 AM

I personally love the view from the south, specifically from the Walt Whitman. I actually prefer the CC from the south, and I love the density that the wide CTC adds.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 5:08 AM

Yeah I have no idea what he's smoking..., but when coming from the south whether it be I-95 south, the airport, or Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia looks gigantic, with 40 something plus blocks of skyline.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:03 AM

Didn't realize having a different opinion meant I was smoking drugs. Just my opinion that the view from the south isn't the most flattering. I'm happy so many enjoy it. There's probably a lot of people that don't care for the views that I find most pleasing. It's incredible that different people think different things.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I personally love the view from the south, specifically from the Walt Whitman. I actually prefer the CC from the south, and I love the density that the wide CTC adds.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:51 PM

^leviathan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^leviathan
Mastodon

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:41 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:04 AM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I like the spacing in this one. CC1 looks great from the north. I'm guessing CTC's lantern will top off right around where the crane is there, so it'll look impressive next to CC1 from that angle.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:14 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:49 PM

Damn. All of those excellent pics make mine look horrible.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 7:58 PM

have the two cooling units that were sitting on top of the office section forever both been placed in the cooling tower frame yet? I can't tell from the pictures. I did see one of them being lifted here a few days ago... If they've been placed has the framing begun yet for the second set? That tower cam being out of commission for the past month or two has put a serious damper on my enjoyment of watching this puppy go up

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
have the two cooling units that were sitting on top of the office section forever both been placed in the cooling tower frame yet? I can't tell from the pictures. I did see one of them being lifted here a few days ago... If they've been placed has the framing begun yet for the second set? That tower cam being out of commission for the past month or two has put a serious damper on my enjoyment of watching this puppy go up
From what I've heard those two cooling units that are sitting on the north roof of the office section are just temporary units that are providing HVAC service to the building til the permanent ones are installed up top.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
They are still where they've been for the last few months. I hope they disappear at some point in time.
Aren't the top set of 3 floors, just before where the set back for the hotel starts, floors that are glazed with a different glass, mechanical/service floors? For some reason I assumed that this area would serve the Comcast part of the building and the hotel would have its own area someplace in its section of the tower.
I've never thought of this before, but since the windows in most offices don't open, once the glazing and curtain wall is in place, without AC any south facing areas are going to heat up nicely. So, maybe there is some basis for the idea of having some temporary cooling going on during construction. I wouldn't want to work in a unvented green house.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt8750 View Post
From what I've heard those two cooling units that are sitting on the north roof of the office section are just temporary units that are providing HVAC service to the building til the permanent ones are installed up top.
highly unlikely. You need a ton of piping and infrastructure to make a cooling tower work. Way too much effort to have a temporary location. Not to mention you would see physical evidence they were operating.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:22 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
highly unlikely. You need a ton of piping and infrastructure to make a cooling tower work. Way too much effort to have a temporary location. Not to mention you would see physical evidence they were operating.
Wrong. I give you credit in that you are always so super confident in your complete guesses.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Wrong. I give you credit in that you are always so super confident in your complete guesses.
It's not a guess. Cooling towers need power, water, circulation piping, pumps dunnage, etc. Having one installed temporarily would be a very expensive proposition. IN addition, to actually make any use of a cooling tower you need fully functioning air handlers and ductwork to distribute cool air. I've not seen any hi rise building provide (pricey) air conditioning for construction workers. In fact, the cooling towers and chillers are often installed near end of the project AFTER much of the HVAC infrastructure is installed- at least on lower floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction