HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 10:24 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Savory Coast is my personal fave Robson eatery. its a little pricey, but its good stuff!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 10:35 PM

What Robson needs to complete the Japanese experience is くしかつ! (kushikatsu). It is a Kansai style and those were the best places to just hang out with friends.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I just wish that the Izakayas were cheap like they are in Japan. I haven't been to Japan yet but this is what I've heard from Japanese friends.
The food is cheap (and pretty tasty), but the liquor is EXPENSIVE. That's how they get ya.

A Japanese girl I know went with her friends, and they somehow ended up with a 120,000 JPY bill... about $1600 now

A lot of the Izakaya's in Japan are operated by the Yakuza (like the Pachinko parlors) and they can be pretty... uhh... full service at certain hours.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 1:35 AM

the indian place on robson is pretty good and its cozy

cactus club is always good, milestones, earls, fogg n sudds fit the bill too if you don't mind the 20 somethings

many Canadian cities would be blessed to have a street like Robson in it - the food, the shopping, the vibe, the people watching

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 2:04 AM

Not to mention Future Shop, Chapters and HMV. Also the fact that it crosses such important streets as Granville, Burrard and Denmen, taking a traveller to many different feeling regions of the city. Along with having a good mix of chain/local shops and restaurants. For me it also just the sheer number of people walking along the street, it has so much flavor! All the way down to the same people who sell hotdogs on the street.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Last edited by bugsy; Oct 16, 2009 at 7:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 3:56 AM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Savory Coast is my personal fave Robson eatery. its a little pricey, but its good stuff!
Shut down, no?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Robson street is Japanese/Korean street for sure, hence why it is my favorite.
Yeah... Robson Street has sure changed over time.

There was a time when Robson Street was known as Robson Straße for good reason... esp. the segment west of Burrard St.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 8:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Capstone tea is where you can find the all you can eat chocolate fondue, along with other desserts and bubble tea.

http://www.capstonetea.com/index2.php?ID=9
The last time I was there, it took them half an hour to make my bubble tea, and another ten minutes to get my fondue out. It was actually my first fondue experience and I wasn't exactly impressed. That place is too Asian.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 8:19 AM

Well speaking (fractured) Mandarin and Japanese always helps in many asian restaurants Have yet to study Korean though. Also i have been loosing much of my Mandarin over the past couple years spending time in Japan.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 9:51 AM

That's funny, I just wrote a lengthy post on Robson on my blog where I talk about the different segments of Robson, and how you can't really just paint it all with the same colour.

I even made my own map!

I find that Robson actually has some great restaurants, especially if you're seeking izakaya (ie: Guu with Garlic, Hapa Izakaya, Gyoza King). At Robson/Denman is a great tapas restaurant, Tapas Tree. And I've always had good meals at Zin.

Sure the section between Burrard and Bute is touristy crap and home to the city's chain restaurants, but then you also have places like CinCin and Tropika up there, which are great.

BTW - I love the vibe of the West End and I love the eateries on Denman, but when I'm looking for good food, I rarely ever venture to Davie unless I'm seeking Lolita's. The majority of what I've had on Davie has been just "meh". I haven't been to Brasserie yet and lining up for cheap Greek food is not my thing.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 10:56 AM

mmm cheap greek food

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 7:00 PM

Cheap Greek food?

Lining up for cheap Greek food?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 9:29 PM

we are having greek food for our xmas party in new west though and its kinda cheap

only ever been to that place on davie twice it was okay - for the amount of food you get its a bargain for budget savvy eaters

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:34 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Many cities in North America would kill to have Robson. Is there any competition? (ok, outside of NY, Chicago, DC, SF, LA, TO). NO.

And Vancouver's Robson holds it's own with those cities imo. Just a little different focus (towards E. Asia), that's all.

True, there's more to Vancouver than just Robson - which is what makes the city so AWESOME. But just because you get tired of Robson doesn't mean you should negate it or not visit.

Like I said, I can name almost every city west of LA and South of Chicago that would KILL to have Robson!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining