HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist

Another thing. With a surface lot there is potential for something better. With the Bonaventure, we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future, as it continues to decay ungracefully into old age.

exactly! i was in downtown last night, doing some scouting cause im planning on moving into the Roosevelt when it opens in mid 2007, and i came to a couple of conclusions. First, were making great strides here and its really going to be a great place to live (Downtown), second, we need more and more places open at night, and i know that comes with time, Third, there were a few places (and Buildings) that really need attention that can turn a whole area around. Examples include getting a few mixed use projects at 4th and Broadway, olympic and Broadway, cleaning the damn streets, More Lighting like the 7th street lighting, all over DTLA, and finally, a few buildings really need to go or be changed. Macys is cool, but i wish they had some more street front retail. it would make such a difference in the area. also, there is a glass building on 7th and Grand? that just doesnt fit with the rest of the buildings and the area. Kills all of it. it is such a good location for a 30 story mixed use with a nice stone finish. there were other things to, but in general its looking better and better. Even some people walking around at 9 o clock.

by the way, here is the Roosevelt Page www.rsvlt.com

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 11:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
exactly! i was in downtown last night, doing some scouting cause im planning on moving into the Roosevelt when it opens in mid 2007
Congrats, man! Here's to another forumer moving downtown!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 12:27 AM
Cool dude

Speaking of downtown street cleanliness, I've always wondered if the city could impose a small tax (more or less a fee) on downtown businesses to steam-clean downtown sidewalks once a week. Is such a process even possible? Could they get the money from the CRA budget? Could a business association impose and collect the fee and provide the service?

And how do we kick into high gear the effort to add more trees and street furniture, and improve some pedestrian crossings?

Additionally, here's an idea that I'll explain with a picture of one of the streets in Cambridge, Massachusetts which is right next to Boston:

The brick lining really adds character to the sidewalk. In L.A. this might not necessarily be red bricks (maybe they're lighter and larger bricks), but the goal should be do provide a change up to the boring concrete slabs without increasing the city's water consumption.

Also, I love the extended sidewalks. It adds a parking space to every corner, space for street furniture and most importantly it visually shortens the distance pedestrians have to walk to cross the street.

Then again, as people have already stated in this thread, all these suggestions may just be academic, because until there is more street-facing retail and open spaces people won't have any reason to walk around. But it could be argued that building owners won't convert their ground floors to retail until more people start walking. It's the old chicken vs. the egg!

Last edited by Damien; Aug 19, 2006 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
Congrats, man! Here's to another forumer moving downtown!

thanks. its my motivation right now.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 6:10 AM

Next month Huell Howser is going to dedicate a whole week to downtown LA. So check your local listings.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 6:16 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great, I like Huell Howser and there is a lot to see downtown.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 7:50 AM
Priest = Cura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Next month Huell Howser is going to dedicate a whole week to downtown LA. So check your local listings.
Are you referring to the Downtown News article on Huell's new series? If so, I think he indicated 20-30 episodes, which should be enough for a months'-worth of segments at least. The more the better when it comes to Huell's shows.

Odd how it often it takes someone from out-of-state to expose and fully appreciate our city's and state's hidden treasures, the sort of stuff that'd (thankfully) never appear in Conde Nast or T&L.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordUnum
Are you referring to the Downtown News article on Huell's new series? If so, I think he indicated 20-30 episodes, which should be enough for a months'-worth of segments at least. The more the better when it comes to Huell's shows.
Because his shows for awhile have become exceptionally esoteric, where he'll be spending all his time dealing with things like Joe Schmoe & his stamp collection, or pet hamsters or orange trees, I started bypassing them on the dial. Sounds like he'll now have some programs that once again will attract my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumoto
If those places were open, the corner wouldn't look half bad...
Makes me think of someone telling a 450 pound woman she'd no longer look so obese if she wore dark colored clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist
As much as I hate seeing downtown lots being used for surface parking, at least they aren't as dead as a concrete soul-sucker like the Bonaventure.
Makes me think of a 450 pound guy (who hasn't taken a shower for a month) worrying that his thinning hair is hurting his popularity with the women.

The Bonaventure from various vantage points at least adds to the skyline, & parts of its lobby, esp when a lot of the rms above it are booked solid & alot of guests are milling about, has a certain liveliness. And things like the bldg's rooftop restaurant at least add some value to the hood. OTOH, places like "bar costena" oir that parking lot look like hell 24/7 & are deadzones through & through.

Getting back to huell Howser, I'm sure alot of the ppl he described here:

Quote:
"I think most people are somewhat hesitant to come Downtown because they have this stereotypical view that this is where so many problems are that they just don't want to come into contact with that. So they just stay away."

In a 2000 episode of "California's Gold," Howser visited Clifton's Cafeteria, a spot he delights in for its history, family story and outrageous decor. Unfortunately for some of the viewers who watched the episode and followed in his footsteps, it wasn't the kind of antiseptic experience they were hoping for. Some felt betrayed.

"It's one of the few programs that, every time we air it, we get negative emails on it. They're from people who go, 'Why didn't you tell us that in order to get to Clifton's you have to step over people,' or, 'I didn't want to get out of the car,'" Howser said. "I'm amazed by how many people there are who just don't like any encounters with any situation that's in the least bit rough around the edges."
....aren't slamming the hood because of things like a hotel on Bunker Hill or sites immediately around it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 10:06 PM
Cool dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Someone please put it on YouTube.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 3:34 AM

8-19 Concerto

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 3:39 AM

I hope these floors are ramps for parking at hanover. Am I looking at these right?
You can buy a level for 2 bucks at homedepot.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 3:42 AM

Pool area at market lofts

Sorry for all the differnt posts. I'm waiting for someone to pick me up and I don't know how many I can get done

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 4:04 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by danparker276
I hope these floors are ramps for parking at hanover. Am I looking at these right?
You can buy a level for 2 bucks at homedepot.

Nice pics, sir. Yes, the first 7-8 floors are for parking.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 5:02 AM

Braving LA LA Land: A walking tour in Los Angeles
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=386272

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 3:41 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

Delete.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 6:19 AM

Plans Build for Downtown L.A.

Moinian Group expects to put up two condo towers, restaurants and shops on a four-acre parcel by Staples Center.

By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer
August 22, 2006

Efforts to make the Staples Center area of downtown Los Angeles a hub for housing, retail and entertainment got a boost Monday when a New York developer announced plans to build two condominium towers, shops and restaurants across the street from the arena. Moinian Group, one of the country's largest privately held real estate firms, said it paid $80 million for four acres at the corner of 11th and Figueroa streets and plans two residential towers of 45 stories and 33 stories with more than 700 units combined.

The land, sold by Staples owner Anschutz Entertainment Group, was previously slated to be developed as housing by KB Home and Lennar Corp. It is across the street diagonally from the $2.5-billion LA Live development under construction north of Staples.

"We have a great deal of faith in the redevelopment of downtown Los Angeles and we think we can add to what is happening in a significant way," said Oskar Brecher, director of development at Moinian, which has major luxury high-rise residential and hotel projects in New York.

The company expects to break ground in 2007 and complete the nearly 2 million-square-foot project within three years. It was founded in 1990 by Joseph Moinian, who leveraged his earnings in the fashion industry to acquire loft buildings in Manhattan. Today, the company owns and manages more than $8 billion in residential, retail and hotel properties including the former Downtown Athletic Club in New York, home of the Heisman Trophy.

KB and Lennar's planned project unraveled after KB withdrew to instead form a partnership with AEG to develop a hotel and condo tower at L.A. Live.

Moinian's residential towers would house three types of units: lofts that could include condominiums, penthouses and so-called live-work units that could house small businesses. The target buyers are young professionals who work downtown. Prices are likely to range from $500,000 to $2 million. At street level would be 250,000 square feet of retail space earmarked for a specialty grocery store, health club, shops and restaurants.

Several buyers bid on the property, said broker Rich Mayo of O'Donnell/Atkins, who represented Moinian in the deal. "It demonstrates there is a lot of confidence in downtown," Mayo said, even as residential builders have been pulling back in other regions. Moinian also plans to develop condominiums and perhaps a small hotel at a nearby site it recently acquired at 808 S. Olive St., Brecher said. That project would include 250 to 300 condos and cost as much as $100 million.

Partnering with Moinian on the Los Angeles projects is investor Henry Shahery, a partner at Miami-based Cabi Developers, which is a subsidiary of GICSA of Mexico City. Other downtown projects are being considered by the team, Shahery said. "It's a growing market and we see opportunity," he said.

AEG, the developer of Staples Center and L.A. Live, has been selling land in the area with the intent that it be used for upscale housing. Developers have completed one condominium tower and have three more under construction on former AEG property.

AEG is the sports and entertainment subsidiary of the Anschutz Co., which is owned by Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz. Among AEG's properties are Home Depot Center in Carson and Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie, Texas. It is developing arenas in London, Berlin and Kansas City and owns the Los Angeles Kings hockey team and four Major League soccer franchises.

The company also has increased the housing component it is building at L.A. Live to about 2,000 apartments and condos by reducing planned office space and other uses, bringing the total number of housing units planned around the arena to about 3,000. The strategy, said AEG Vice President Ted Tanner, "is to build a vibrant residential community — and add a lot more patrons for our restaurants, clubs and other venues" at L.A. Live.

The tourist-oriented "sports-entertainment" hub is slated to have a 54-story hotel and condo tower, 7,100-seat live performance theater, broadcast facilities, a 14-screen movie theater and nearly a dozen restaurants and clubs. Excavation of the L.A. Live site is underway and completion is expected in phases starting in fall 2007. Tanner said AEG hoped to start work next year with co-developer KB Home on the hotel and condo portion of the project that is expected to house a JW Marriott and a Ritz-Carlton with a combined total of 1,000 rooms.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danparker276

A refresher of what that proj will look like should be inserted here:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 6:35 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Great news! I have high expectations for the project and hope the Moinian Group delivers given the fact that they have much experience developing in Manhattan and I happen to love all of their projects. And at 45 and 33 stories, those buildings will have a great impact on the skyline!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 6:53 AM

I'm glad that Moinian took over this project because they are a big pockets developer with a diversified portfolio unlike that of LNR, which is far too overexposed in the bubbly condo markets. This is one of the few developments in downtown that I feel confident about even in a real estate slowdown because the location is just too good to leave as a parking lot. Interesting that the new design has increased the number of floors in the towers from 40/27 to 45/33. I wonder if the basic design is still the same or if that has been modified as well.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 9:44 AM

^ I hope that the new design will be much more akin to CIM's proposed Park Tower, which is the Modernist style? Since they're from NY, it might be something they're more apt to go with. I liked LNR's original design as well though because it wasn't too "Vancouver-ish."

Looks like it'll remain the same with commercial retail space at about 250,000sf. I really hope they'll still focus on the Blue Line/Aqua Line station as a major source of traffic. I'm sure there will be plenty of parking to please the avid car driver too!

Let's hope that whatever the design is, that it'll continue with the same ENTERTAINMENT theme as LA Live. Specifically, the large LED screens and billboard signages. AND LOTSA SPOTLIGHTS AND LASERS would be nice too.

Can we say HK?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West