HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:51 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:51 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 7:03 PM

The South Bay Galleria is probably one of the oddest/most useless malls in the county. Literally less than a mile away from Del Amo mall, a bigger and better mall. I wish they would just tear the whole thing down and replace it with a mixed use mega development since the parking lots alone are big enough to hold a few thousand housing units if done correctly.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 7:07 PM

News out of Long Beach. There is a mixed use development going up on Los Alamitos ave. Between 1st and Broadway. I haven't found any info on the project at all. Its a silent creeper apparently. The gas station attendant across the street said he heard it was a 14 story building but I haven't found any info anywhere. There isn't even a notice on the gate surrounding the property with details of the project but they are already digging down. When I asked one of the workers, he just brushed me off.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:04 PM

Nice! Good to see Long Beach building highrise again.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:20 AM

Would love to see Glendale start building highrises again.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
News out of Long Beach. There is a mixed use development going up on Los Alamitos ave. Between 1st and Broadway. I haven't found any info on the project at all. Its a silent creeper apparently. The gas station attendant across the street said he heard it was a 14 story building but I haven't found any info anywhere. There isn't even a notice on the gate surrounding the property with details of the project but they are already digging down. When I asked one of the workers, he just brushed me off.
Is this a part of the LB City Hall redevelopment?!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
https://www.bisnow.com/los-angeles/n...-project-59277

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:10 AM

Sooooo... the Enterprise rent-a-car in Hollywood has vacated its property on Ivar Ave. I hope this is a sign that the long dormant NIMBY stalled Millenium project may be close to going forward

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:54 PM

^^^ I hope so. Driving south on the 101, driving passed the area, it has changed a LOT in the last 2 years alone. Those buildings will only add to the revitalization of Hollywood which, like downtown, has already reached its tipping point and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Hollywood of the 90s/early 2000s is officially dead and gone....Thank god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Same here. But I don't think that's going to heat up anytime soon. Seems like all the attention is on the basin. Downtown, Long Beach, Century City, Hollywood. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
Is this a part of the LB City Hall redevelopment?!
Oh no, this is on the opposite end of downtown, down the street from where Long Beach current proposed Tallest is supposed to be built.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:53 PM

Random progress photos from the past couple months for the new replacement bridge.

Photo by Jonathan Alcorn

Photo by Jonathan Alcorn

Photo by Jonathan Alcorn

Photo by Jonathan Alcorn

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:20 PM

Wilshire & Crescent Heights by Hunter, on Flickr

Academy Museum by Hunter, on Flickr

Some images from this week.

Sunset & La Cienega by Hunter, on Flickr

Gehry site
8150 Sunset Blvd by Hunter, on Flickr

1755 Argyle by Hunter, on Flickr

Blvd 6200 by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:27 PM

As usual Hunter fantastic photography. Some of the oldest parking lots of central Hollywood (some dating from the fifties and as old as I am) have been given their rightful burial--RIP. Amen.

PS how can any sane person object to this kind of evolution.

Last edited by Wilcal; Aug 7, 2017 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:29 AM

^^^ Exactly. Even LAs roughest areas are getting revitalized top to bottom. Its amazing. I love it.

Also Hunter. What time of day and what day was this taken ?? Hollywood Blvd, Wilshire, Sunset, the streets in general are alllll empty lol i would love to take a drive at whatever time of day that was.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
You can build up to like 16-20 stories in Downtown Glendale. Developers haven't done this though because wood construction is more efficent when you can only go that high. So many parking lots and underutilized sites in Glendale have been eaten up by new 7 stories in the last 5 years that there aren't a hige amount left. Hopefully this will force developers to build highrise now. Ideally they could up to like 30 stories though.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

Isnt it funny how nimby's went CRAZY over the Millennium Twins, saying "they will block views!, cause congestion!, they are soooo out of sync with the surrounding area, THERES A FAULTLINE THERE ! and THEY WILL DWARF THE CAPITAL RECORDS BUILDING!"........HHHMMMMMM....fast forward what? 2 years.... and now look. 2 boxy buildings that snuck up on us all are now completed right next to the Capital Records building......on top of the same fault line.... next to where the millennium towers are supposed to go and oh look. Both seem to top the Capital Records building.....So what happened? did anyone whine about these? If I were the developers of the Millennium project, I would quickly point this out in court. So that they can finally move forward.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
You can build up to like 16-20 stories in Downtown Glendale. Developers haven't done this though because wood construction is more efficent when you can only go that high. So many parking lots and underutilized sites in Glendale have been eaten up by new 7 stories in the last 5 years that there aren't a hige amount left. Hopefully this will force developers to build highrise now. Ideally they could up to like 30 stories though.
Glendale is above average in terms of density. It's very close to DTLA, but transit needs to improve for density to have the most impact. We desperately need electrification and/or a high frequency overlay service on the Metrolink tracks + some kind of improved transit (BRT, Streetcar, or light rail) on Brand. BRT between Pasadena and North Hollywood will definitely help.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 6:55 PM

Hollywood still has a ton of development potential East of Argyle on Hollywood and Sunset boulevards, wow.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:36 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0636...7i13312!8i6656

I walked on this stretch of Wilshire yesterday morning. It's pretty quiet, but I guess that makes sense, since it's more of a office district.

That said, it looks like every other structure could be razed for a bigger tower when the subway opens at La Cienga and Fairfax.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:58 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations