HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
According to their website, the one corporate store in Victoria charges $3.58, tax included.
That's an easier price to swallow.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:29 PM
Round Head

Looks like the Simmons building will end up having an offering of various food and drink establishments

http://calgary.openfile.ca/calgary/f...mmons-building

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Folk Fest food was a big disappointment this year. It was great to have P&S for coffee- really great- but among other things, $12 for TWO halibut tacos was ridiculous, but not as bad as the $15 I paid for some allegedly "Indonesian" beef dish at Nomad's Kitchen ($17 with plate deposit) that had, incredibly for something advertised as "indonesian," almost no flavour. It also had almost no beef. Never again.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Folk Fest food was a big disappointment this year. It was great to have P&S for coffee- really great- but among other things, $12 for TWO halibut tacos was ridiculous, but not as bad as the $15 I paid for some allegedly "Indonesian" beef dish at Nomad's Kitchen ($17 with plate deposit) that had, incredibly for something advertised as "indonesian," almost no flavour. It also had almost no beef. Never again.
The best deal that I found was the place that had the Greek Ribs, their name escapes me now as they had no signs. Something catering. Smoked pork ribs, potatoes and a Caesar salad for $7 bucks. Huge portion as well. Was such a deal, I ate there Saturday and Sunday. They also had a beef dip that looked tasty for $5.00

The volunteer food was the crappiest I've seen yet. I had the chicken stew on Thursday and it was more like chicken flavoured water.

Although I really enjoyed myself this year, I found this fest to be the weakest one I've attended yet. Not sure if it was just my bad luck but I caught more crappy workshops than good ones.

Froze my ass off to watch Vernon Reid and Bernie Worrell play together and felt like crying they were so bad.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:25 PM

Likely not being able to charge for bottled water had a bearing in the higher prices some of the vendors were charging for other goods. If I was a vendor and looked at years before and wanted to maintain profit, it needs to be made up in other areas *unless in the past the bottled water was already marked up by the folkfest before being sold to the vendors which is common at many closed events like this*

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Looks like the Simmons building will end up having an offering of various food and drink establishments

http://calgary.openfile.ca/calgary/f...mmons-building
I want the Wild Rose brewery to move there. I can't fathom anything that would make me happier.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
I want the Wild Rose brewery to move there. I can't fathom anything that would make me happier.
I wouldn't mind seeing a start-up microbrewery open up. It would be nice to have some diversity in the local micro-brew in this city.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 12:45 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
that would be an awesome location!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a start-up microbrewery open up. It would be nice to have some diversity in the local micro-brew in this city.
Diversity would be great, but does WR have a home after they're booted from the barracks?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:12 PM

Mayor wants mobile eateries on Calgary streets

CBC News
Posted: Jul 29, 2011 9:11 AM MT

The latest gourmet dining experience in Calgary may soon be as close as the sidewalk.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi said he is considering changing the rules to allow mobile kitchens on city streets.

One of the city's premier steakhouses, Charcut Roast House, is already planning a truck selling gourmet burgers.

"We're also going to be serving fries. They'll be fried in duck fat and hand cut on the truck," said chef Connie deSouza.

Nenshi said despite health and regulatory issues, he'd like to see the trucks operating soon.

"We're making our way through how to make that happen. We hope we will have the first of these by the end of the summer," he said.

Read More: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...s.html?ref=rss

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:14 PM
Here and There

Now theres something to yahoo about!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 4:42 AM

Awesome news about the food trucks!

FYI. a new place has opened on 4th street NW (a block from my place) called 4th Spot, and I finally tried out out tonight. It's great. Highly recommend trying it.

They bill themselves as 'gourmet casual', and that's probably the best way to describe it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 6:46 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Diversity would be great, but does WR have a home after they're booted from the barracks?
I forgot that they got the boot.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Last I asked, their lease runs to 2014 or 2015, so they have a while left there if they want it. But, because they've already exceeded the capacity of the building, they've been looking to move sooner.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 8:40 PM
Round Head

Lots of exciting things with regard to food trucks.

Mayor's office has been working with the vendors and various City departments to make sure things are aligned to facilitate food trucks through a pilot program (for instance current by-laws prohibit food trucks from selling from the street - a special on-street permit is needed to get around this by-law for now). Lots of great cooperation and things are moving along fast.

There are a number of really great vendors that have banded together that all happen to be going into operation right around the same time. They have a website - www.yycfoodtrucks.com

So far there's BBQ, Gelato, Alley Burger, Fries and Sausages, Perogies, and tacos. An excellent start - and I bet it just blossoms from here.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 9:08 PM

I saw the Los Compadres MX truck in front of Penn West on Friday at lunch... I would have stopped by if I wasn't alreay on the way to a resturant.

Quote:
It's official!! #yycfoodtrucks pilot project launching august 11th, noon on 1000 block of Stephen ave. @downtowncalgary viva la revolution!
Does this mean 8th ave and 10th street? Why start on the empty end of downtown, wouldn't somewhere between Olympic plaza and Bankers Hall make more sense?

Last edited by GTING; Aug 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 9:25 PM

Wow, I'm impressed! Looks like the food trucks here are set to blow the Toronto and Vancouver food truck programs out of the water. I can't wait to try Alley Burger and the Taco one.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 9:41 PM
Littering and............

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTING View Post
I saw the Los Compadres MX truck in front of Penn West on Friday at lunch... I would have stopped by if I wasn't alreay on the way to a resturant.

Does this mean 8th ave and 10th street? Why start on the empty end of downtown, wouldn't somewhere between Olympic plaza and Bankers Hall make more sense?
Looks like it was corrected to say 100E block of Stephen. Makes much more sense.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Lots of exciting things with regard to food trucks.

Mayor's office has been working with the vendors and various City departments to make sure things are aligned to facilitate food trucks through a pilot program (for instance current by-laws prohibit food trucks from selling from the street - a special on-street permit is needed to get around this by-law for now). Lots of great cooperation and things are moving along fast.

There are a number of really great vendors that have banded together that all happen to be going into operation right around the same time. They have a website - www.yycfoodtrucks.com

So far there's BBQ, Gelato, Alley Burger, Fries and Sausages, Perogies, and tacos. An excellent start - and I bet it just blossoms from here.
That's great. It looks like the launch is from 11 am to 3 pm. I think that's good for the lunch crowd, but I'd like to see them close that part of Stephen off at night for the same thing for those are not downtown in the middle of the day.

Looks like a place called Blue Vinny Diner is opening up where Avenue Diner used to be on Stephen Ave.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 5:43 PM

Artisan Bistro is toast in Bridgeland as of a couple months ago (I don't understand why, they had great breakfast and you could reserve and not stand in line. Many days I'd go there after being scared off by massive lines at Diner Deluxe or Over Easy).

There is a new place going in, although I already forgot the name of it. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation