HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Lots of mediocre on this years list. Was looking forward to see McDonalds win "best fries" again.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:59 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I feel a little chagrined that, maybe, the same people who voted for me for "best professor" also voted for Co Do for best Vietnamese or Higher Ground for best coffeehouse.

But I'll take that bronze medal anyway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
Lots of mediocre on this years list. Was looking forward to see McDonalds win "best fries" again.
Any list that has "Julio's Barrio" on it can be immediately tossed into the recycle bin.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:58 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
really?
It's where the average Joe/Jill seems to go.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 9:59 PM

Just tried out the National Beer Hall. It's in the "communal pub" vein, with mostly long shared tables and bars, and only about ten or so private tables along the windows. The patio has one long table on the south side, and several smaller on the west. TVs are only located over the bar, so it's fairly easy to seat yourself away from them if you prefer. I won't comment about service, as my server was, well... odd... and probably not representative of the standard of the establishment.

Food was decent, but pricy - $16 for a burger and fries seems kinda steep for a pub, and I'd honestly have been more satisfied for half the price at either CliveBurger or the Ship. The meat is ground on-site though, so those of you who like your burgers on the rare side can get your fix. Menu selection is fairly limited, with daytime entree options of salads, burger (just one beef burger with some optional additions), a few sandwiches and some $18 meat pies (chicken, pork or mussel). Evening adds rotisserie meat plates that look like a better value.

Beer, on the other hand, is a strength: 71 taps, with a nicely balanced selection of about 60 fixed products, at least 2 brewery seasonals (one was Alley Kat, can't recall the other, and there may have been more), and 9 rotating taps. The focus is definitely on regional microbrews - I don't believe there was anything on tap from outside North America, and most were from no further afield than Oregon. Fewer gimmick beers than Craft, and a broader range than Beer Revolution. Prices are fixed across the board at $8 for 20oz, $6.50 for 14oz. They do flights for $15, but we didn't inquire as to size or number of selections.

Overall, good place for a pint and appetizer, but there are definitely better options for a meal.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:10 PM

so I happened to go to a few of the new burger joints over roughly the same week as sort of a comparison. Some of these burgers are so similar that it is hard to compare especially if you wait weeks or months in between.

Just in terms of general burger review I would rank:

1. Clive Burger
2. Smash Burger
3. Five Guys

For pubs also checked out Jamesons on 17th and National. I'd say both are positive additions to the red mile.

btw National has not yet setup their proper patio tables (still on order), the stuff they have setup on the patio now is just temporary

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
The patio has one long table on the south side, and several smaller on the west. T
This patio, Twisted Kilt, Model Milk, Ox and Angela etc will hopefully push the vibrancy of 17th Ave east towards the stamped grounds. Here's hoping it becomes a known as a foodie district as much as a bar district

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:49 PM

Love the restaurants that are coming into town! 17th ave sure is getting some great locales.

Laughed at some of the FFwd lists. I find it hard to believe the Ship & Anchor would objectively win so many categories, i mean sure its a good place to go for a pint or two, but in no way would i say it out does many other places in town (other than perhaps the patio space)

I tried UNA last week (i know its been reviewed before) i liked it. good pizza. however, if there is one thing this town needs it is some good ol' Chicago style pies! There really isnt any great deep dish pizza here which is a bummer as i prefer it to neopolitan any day. With WOP, UNA, Double-Zero, etc. you think someone would take it upon themselves to get a good deep dish place started.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC-LAW View Post
Love the restaurants that are coming into town! 17th ave sure is getting some great locales.

Laughed at some of the FFwd lists. I find it hard to believe the Ship & Anchor would objectively win so many categories, i mean sure its a good place to go for a pint or two, but in no way would i say it out does many other places in town (other than perhaps the patio space)

I tried UNA last week (i know its been reviewed before) i liked it. good pizza. however, if there is one thing this town needs it is some good ol' Chicago style pies! There really isnt any great deep dish pizza here which is a bummer as i prefer it to neopolitan any day. With WOP, UNA, Double-Zero, etc. you think someone would take it upon themselves to get a good deep dish place started.
I've got a request if anyone decides to open another pizza joint, do pizza old-school, this UNA/Double Zero thin crust is ok once in a while, but I'd like a good Canadian pizza, also I'd like a decent sized gluten free crust. Went to Woodstock's Pizza in Santa Cruz, had a greasy cheesy gluten free pie that hit the spot!

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:17 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

What you don't like this? It even says "Best Authentic" !

yellowpages.ca

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:

I hear what you are saying. It seems like in the 90s Chigago Deep Dish was popular. Kind of the way thin crust is now.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
What you don't like this? It even says "Best Authentic" !

yellowpages.ca

HA! i knew someone would mention this.

Although full disclosure my undergrad days were marked with many of these ads after a night out on the town...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:56 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
HA! i knew someone would mention this.

Although full disclosure my undergrad days were marked with many of these ads after a night out on the town...
Worst pizza ever.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 9:53 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Worst pizza ever.
my former roommate and I ordered from both "Chicago Deep Dish" places but can't remember for the life of me which was worse.
there's this one http://www.chicagodeepdishpizza.com/homepage/ which claims to be the original
and then http://www.chicagodeepdish2for1.ca/en/call_us_now.html which also claims to be the original.
what was it with deep dish pizza in Calgary in 1987

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

You can't get the deep-dish or stuffed (they're not the same) versions of Chicago-style pizza anywhere in Canada, period. There was once an Uno's (which is a bit of a joke in Chicago) in Toronto- and it closed about 14 years ago. It's not even available in the vast majority of the US.

But real Chicagoans rarely eat what you know as "Chicago style pizza" anyway. The vast majority of pizza in Chicagoland is actually a thin crust style, toppings below the cheese, and it's always cut in squares. Gondola does a fair approximation of it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

so called "deep dish" pizza in Calgary would be more accurately named "deep dough".

I guess sometime in the 80s it was good business selling something "exotic" to Calgarians that one could assume most would be completely ignorant of what it really was.

kinda reminds of me condos by train tracks that advertise "Manhatten living"

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Round Head

I had Pizzeria Due in Chicago when I was there. Fantastic. I wish it was a style that was widely available. Similarly, I had a Buffalo style pizza when there from Bocce Club - WIGS, you must know something about that.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:30 PM

Michael's Pizza

Would Michael's Pizza (no affiliation ) on 10th ave between Centre and 1st Street West fill the needs of deep dish pizza? Been a while since I ate there, but remember it being pretty thick.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Any list that has "Julio's Barrio" on it can be immediately tossed into the recycle bin.
The problem is Calgary is a wee bit short on some types of cuisine and Mexican would be one of them. Even Salt and pepper is kinda meh. There was once a place on 9th in Inglewood that was not bad at times but driving by recently I think they might have closed.

The BBQ list is depressing, because they had slim pickings to even chose from. The best BBQ I have had in Calgary is funny enough Big D's smokehouse in the Calgary Farmers Market, they have killer beef brisket that is actually really well smoked. But this city (Cowtown FFS...) is so overdue for someone to build a proper top notch BBQ joint with a bunch of smokers out back that have briskets, pulled pork, smoked ribs, ect... smoking non-stop and with smells wafting from it that drag people in in a 4 block radius. Heck, I am almost tempted to try it myself because done right I think it would be really successful.

The burger list should have had 5 Guys and Fries on there IMO, until we get an IN & OUT in Calgary they are probably the best semi-fast burger joint in town. Peters not being at the top is a good sign, the last time I went there I was shocked at the patty being more like a bland sausage patty then a real beef burger. For a real quick drivethrough burger CB's Drive In blows Peters out of the water.

Gonna have to try Una Pizza + Wine, not a huge pizza eater but a good pizza once in a blue moon is a craving.

It looks like the regulars at the Ship and Anchor were asked to vote and came out in force, they even voted their waitresses not only the hottest in town but the surliest as well, nice.

It must be too small and unknown but I was very surprised to not see Sushi Club K'z in the top 3, that is an unreal sushi restaurant for anyone who likes sushi.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
Construction Enthusiast

The deep dish pizza I had for my friends rehearsal dinner in Chicago - well, lets just say that one slice was just about enough to feed a family.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation