HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How far back are you going? I don't remember either of those.
I am going off the top of my head to say there were around in the 1970's.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Donald Collins, 65, was found early Saturday morning near Hargrave Street, while Stony Bushie, 48, was found Saturday evening north of news network APTN's Portage Avenue headquarters.
From WFP. Again, 'bizarre' that one location be so vague while the other is quite specific. Collins wasn't found near Chipman's new development... no...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:52 PM

^ Now that you mention it, they are being oddly coy about the location of the first incident. Have the words "CentrePoint" or "Alt Hotel" appeared anywhere in the Freep's coverage of this story?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
From WFP. Again, 'bizarre' that one location be so vague while the other is quite specific. Collins wasn't found near Chipman's new development... no...
Quote:
^ Now that you mention it, they are being oddly coy about the location of the first incident. Have the words "CentrePoint" or "Alt Hotel" appeared anywhere in the Freep's coverage of this story?
?? Hmm. So posters are now talking about about a conspiracy/cover-up by the Freep in a multiple homicide within a blocks radius and this somehow appears to be connected to Mark Chipmans Alt/CentrePoint development and the power he wields over the WPS and the media in this city? Tell me more?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 10:54 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Censorship at its finest!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 1:37 AM
Armchair urbanist

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...301392651.html

Quote:
Police said the body of a man in his late 60s had been found in the east lane of 329 Hargrave St. on Saturday at about 12:45 a.m., and the body of a man in his late 40s was discovered behind 333 Portage Ave. at about 6:30 p.m.
Addresses are specific, no? Or do they need to specify APTN, Air Canada building, Ken's restaurant/LC, near former Wagon Wheel location?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
No the province made a huge underestimation of the amount of moisture in Sask and didn't sufficiently empty the resevoir. Water resources, like the the rest of the MB government, are incompetent bunglers.
I figured it was something like that, I just couldn't figure out how they managed to fuck up this time. Of all the years we should have no problems with the river level, they still blow it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:08 AM

Quote:
That one I recall. Always thought it was a shame that the entire commercial building it was in was torn down to make way for a small Playhouse rehearsal space and a big, useless windswept plaza.

I think I heard Bill Norrie had it torn down, basically because he was an asshole.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:30 AM

Anyone want to watch a video on the Manitoba dairy industry from 1953? Yeah you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Trvma6Z2MI

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...301392651.html

Addresses are specific, no? Or do they need to specify APTN, Air Canada building, Ken's restaurant/LC, near former Wagon Wheel location?
Yup. That quote was from the Free Press, they chose to word it differently.
No, I don't think they're covering up a homicide lol, just that it's funny how WFP is always all-Chipman all-day. I actually like Chipman and everything they have planned, just find that coverage funny.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yup. That quote was from the Free Press, they chose to word it differently.
No, I don't think they're covering up a homicide lol, just that it's funny how WFP is always all-Chipman all-day. I actually like Chipman and everything they have planned, just find that coverage funny.
Why mention Chipman in this project when is his only 1 of many companies involved in project. FP did nothing wrong.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:14 PM

Having worked for a well known hotel/nightclub for years, this subject came up many times. I became pretty good friends with some local media. The way it was explained to me, the media would not name a business if the crime had nothing to do with that business.

For example, there was a shooting incident involving patrons from our nightclub but it was after they had left and was a couple of blocks away. The initial media description had the shooting "at" our location. We objected and said the shooting was actually down the street and some media reports used the actual address it happened after that.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:26 PM

Yet the Free Press names APTN and not Centrepoint.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Yet the Free Press names APTN and not Centrepoint.
Exactly.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:10 PM

According to today's Free Press, it's just sunshine and rainbows at Centrepoint:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...ce=d-more-news

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:31 PM
What could go wrong?

The police have arrested the man in the photo's and charged him with 3 murders. The two over the weekend and the one in the bus shack 2 weeks ago. I guess this dude really didn't like homeless people.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the article mentioned he is "transient", which to me, sounds like it would not be uncommon for him to be found on the streets. Which is a long winded way of saying, he would probably be considered "homeless" as well.

If he is guilty, then it just sounds like a straight up evil guy. Luring vulnerable people to somewhere quiet and beating them to death. He also has a recent domestic charge on the books as well.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:42 PM

I think Winnipeg is still safe.

Cant really think of a recent murder case that was totally 'random', seems to be troubled youths getting killed, gang related or this case local transients targeting each other.

If this was say a random father of 3 or an honor roll university grad then yea this city will be pretty scary.

but now he's just moved up from street life to a place to live, daily food and shower and prob a whole heap of people he knows.

/threadjack

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:46 PM

^ Just because it involved a homeless guy doesn't make it any less random... the police seem to be suggesting (unless they said it outright?) that there was no apparent connection between the killer and the victims. Someone that psycho could have easily been emboldened enough to move on to random students or office workers had he successfully managed to avoid arrest. Not to be alarmist, but it is a bit scary that there are people that unhinged walking the streets around here.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:49 PM

no doubt my friend, times sure have changed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan