HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 2:19 AM

I saw that article too and found it very strange. As soon as I saw it I figured he had no chance at being Governor. He's mixing in religion too much. If you think the constitution is being abused, then use that as your platform. You don't need to single out your church with it.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 2:49 AM

Sawtooth:

Quote:
That is crazy. I know the non native Canadians have invaded places like Lowman and Sun Valley. In the winter you can see the Canadian wolves walking through the streets of Lowman and Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley. Maybe Tom Hanks will get set straight by a pack of wolves! If you ever decide to snowshoe up beyond Bogus Basin towards Idaho City keep your eyes peeled.
My mom had a pack of wolves that moved in for an extended period of time on the mountain right behind her house in Hailey/Sun Valley (Greenhorn Gulch, west of Hwy 75). It is one thing if the wolves are in remote wilderness in Alaska, Canada, or elsewhere but your opinion of wolves can change very quickly when they reside in very close proximity to people. My mom said that the wolves seemed to lose their tendency to avoid humans and often came close to the homes in this area and killed from the elk herd not for subsistence but for sport instead.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 3:58 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Sawtooth:

My mom had a pack of wolves that moved in for an extended period of time on the mountain right behind her house in Hailey/Sun Valley (Greenhorn Gulch, west of Hwy 75). It is one thing if the wolves are in remote wilderness in Alaska, Canada, or elsewhere but your opinion of wolves can change very quickly when they reside in very close proximity to people. My mom said that the wolves seemed to lose their tendency to avoid humans and often came close to the homes in this area and killed from the elk herd not for subsistence but for sport instead.
Check out this video from a Twin Falls news station from back in March.

Pack of wolves spotted just north of Hailey near subdivision

http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/41244...?video=YHI&t=a
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 9:34 PM

frightening!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 4:34 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005129587

Bald Mountain Lodge developers were sent a clear message Monday night that their proposed five-story hotel on Main Street would be scrutinized from every angle before the Ketchum Planning and Zoning Commission even votes on approving the design.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 5:23 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

A view from the top of Banner Ridge @ Beaver Creek Summit, Boise National Forest, February 21

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM. Reason: summit mishap

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 5:59 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Highway 21, The Ponderosa Pine Scenic Byway between Boise and Idaho City, Boise National Forest, February 21

Mores Creek Summit, The Ponderosa Pine Scenic Byway north of Boise, Boise National Forest, February 21

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 22, 2010 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 5:44 PM

Gorgeous Idaho scenery! I have to say thanks for this visual treat after having to scan through the clutter of threads this morning.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
A view from the top of Banner Summit, Boise National Forest, February 21

Hate to chime in for just this BUT this is NOT Banner Summit Sawtooth. It's either Mores Creek Summit or the summit just outside of Lowman (Beaver Creek).

Outside of that, Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Boizean; Feb 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM. Reason: Added Summit Name - Beaver Creek

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:11 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
Hate to chime in for just this BUT this is NOT Banner Summit Sawtooth. It's either Mores Creek Summit or the summit just outside of Lowman (Beaver Creek).

Outside of that, Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for catching my mistake, my bad. I meant to say Banner Ridge which is at Beaver Creek Summit. I took those photos at a pullout right by the elevation sign at Beaver Creek and the Banner Ridge Nordic skiing area.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Thanks for catching my mistake, my bad. I meant to say Banner Ridge which is at Beaver Creek Summit. I took those photos at a pullout right by the elevation sign at Beaver Creek and the Banner Ridge Nordic skiing area.
Ah! I see. I just didn't want somebody getting confused looking for Banner Summit (which is quite aways away) and really only has a view of the avalanche gates for blocking the highway...LOL!

The mountain in view is called Steel Mountain which happens to be the highest point visible in the Treasure Valley.

Last edited by Boizean; Feb 23, 2010 at 4:11 AM. Reason: corrected Avalanche spelling

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 2:54 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Ah! I see. I just didn't want somebody getting confused looking for Banner Summit (which is quite aways away) and really only has a view of the avalance gates for blocking the highway...LOL!

The mountain in view is called Steel Mountain which happens to be the highest point visible in the Treasure Valley.
That's true about the avalanche gates

Do you know the name of this mountain? I am looking on my forest map and can't see a name. This view is from one of the park and ski lots at Mores Creek Summit. It kind of looks like Steel Mountain but has more trees.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:15 AM

I haven't been able to figure that mountain out for sure. Seems like it should be Pilot Peak and Freeman Peak but that's to the west. I know I get twisted around on the road pretty good, but isn't this view to the east? Might it be Sunset Mountain?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:17 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
I haven't been able to figure that mountain out for sure. Seems like it should be Pilot Peak and Freeman Peak but that's to the west. I know I get twisted around on the road pretty good, but isn't this view to the east? Might it be Sunset Mountain?
It seems like I was looking northeast and I was near Whoop-em-up campground.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:47 AM

I don't know Sawtooth. That mountain(s) has baffled me for years. Like you said earlier, nothing lines up with the view on the maps. I doubt it but it might just be a few more of the endless un-named mountains in the state.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 5:35 PM

Love the world class scenery we have in this state.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 10:35 PM

Pocatello is getting some love

Best Old House Neighborhoods 2010: the West and Northwest
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...738769,00.html

The West Side, Pocatello, Idaho
Since the mid-1990s, "the West side of Pokey," as locals call it, has transformed itself from beat-down to bohemian. Young, forward-thinking couples are moving here to raise families, and young business owners are opening bookstores, brewpubs, and bike shops catering to those looking for a cool, creative lifestyle far, far away from big cities, like New York or San Francisco. The West Side is also luring outdoorsy types, who love the area's skiing, hiking, hunting, and fishing, and retirees looking for a stimulating college town to live in. (Pocatello is home to Idaho State.) The West Side got its start in the late 1800s as home to hundreds of working-class employees of the Union Pacific Railroad. As the town grew and businesses started moving in, many of Pocatello's more affluent families started coming here, building large, luxurious Queen Anne mansions.

The Houses
Most date from the 1920s and 1930s. Despite the growing popularity of the neighborhood, West Side real estate prices remain affordable, hovering just above the $150,000 mark, but at press time we found a 2,100-square-foot, five-bedroom 1920s house for just $109,900.

Why Buy Now?
Investment in the West Side has been steady since the mid-1990s, when urban pioneers began restoring its old houses and commercial buildings. The economy in Pocatello is surviving the downturn thanks to stalwart employers, such as Idaho State and the medical and semiconductor industries.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:50 PM

Spot on sawtooth. You guys up in Boise are so lucky to live by so much natural beauty and I have to make a point this year to make some trips up into your mountains when I am up there for business.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 5:42 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlad View Post
Spot on sawtooth. You guys up in Boise are so lucky to live by so much natural beauty and I have to make a point this year to make some trips up into your mountains when I am up there for business.
There are a lot of different areas you can visit because the mountains and forests north, east , and west of Boise flow for hundreds of miles without interruption in all three directions, the mountains and forests continue all of the way north to Canada and to the eastern and western borders of the state. The landscape is a good example of why Idaho is considered the most mountainess of any state in the lower 48.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 1:49 PM
Always running Late

rare earth metals deposits found in idaho

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...rucialminerals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West