HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Never underestimate the extent of law enforcement databases. U.S. Customs even knows about the skyscraperpage. I know this because they brought me in over the weekend and had me show them this page. They made a record of the url. Who knows, they probably looked at my tour of Marine City, MI this week.
Wow that's paranoia to the max! They pulled you into Customs why? B/c you had a camera?

To be fair, if we're in an urban environment, chances are we're being watched anyway. Don't froget about all the businesses which have cams that face the streets near their entrances. Pizza Pizza has one. I'm sure there are dozens more 'private' security cams in our Downtown, and throughout the City.

We're always being watched whether it be police cams, business security cams, patrolling cops and even just by-standards (pedestrians, people in their homes/apartment bldgs, etc).
Just don't do anything in public you dont' want people knowing about and you're fine!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the US was never a democracy. It is and always was a republic. There are fundamental differences.
In practice there is only a formalistic difference (the term "republic" nowadays is most significant as a term of art amongst political scientists). "Republic" is generally used to refer to a type of political organization in a formal sense -- i.e. a state which does not have a monarch at its head.

There can be different types of republics. Because (at least ostensibly) its government rules at the pleasure of the people, the US happens to be a democratic republic. In other words, its sovereignty inheres in its people as a whole, not in any particular potentate or class. Therefore it can legitimately be called both a republic and a democracy.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 3:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Technical glitches delay Concession Street cameras

By Mark Newman, News Staff
News
Oct 31, 2008

Two police surveillance cameras planned for Concession Street have been put on hold until police figure out exactly how they will be linked to the downtown central station.

"There's a lot of technical issues," said Hamilton deputy police chief Ken Leendertse, who noted wireless Internet service is not available in the locations police have scouted including Concession and East 19th, Concession and East 24th and Concession and 32nd.

DC Leendertse said police are considering a variety of alternatives including a radio wave system and hard wiring the cameras into the local cable system.

In addition, a couple of wireless Internet cameras that were installed on James North two months ago are not working as well as police would like with breaks in the transmission and the Concession Street project will not move forward until that's fixed.

"Until we get the glitches out, we can't put the cameras up there," DC Leendertse said. "We're still committed to doing Concession Street as quickly as we can."

The use of surveillance cameras by police dates back to a 2004 closed circuit television project where five cameras were installed along King Street in the downtown area in a bid to reduce crime.

About two years ago the Hamilton Police Services Board agreed to spend $10,000 on 10 new cameras to be installed at various locations in the city.

The Concession Street cameras were requested by local merchants and patrol officers as a crime prevention tool.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues