HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:15 PM

Height variance approved for 24-story tower along Milwaukee River

Quote:
A city panel on Thursday approved a request by HKS Holdings to build a 24-story tower along the Milwaukee River just north of downtown, but the developer isn’t saying what the development will include.

The Redevelopment Authority voted unanimously to approve a waiver to the maximum 12-story height established in the Park East Redevelopment Plan to permit the 24 story tower, which would be located north of the office building occupied by Bader Rutter on the former Laacke & Joys site at 1433 N. Water St.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^wow, that would be a really tall building for that part of the river, i hope it moves forward.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^wow, that would be a really tall building for that part of the river, i hope it moves forward.
If Marcus gets Edison Place going also that would be a drastic change for the northern edge of downtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 3:09 PM

If Marcus gets Edison Place going, the devil is going to need a parka.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:07 PM

Apartment project at The Brewery moving forward

Quote:
The Indianapolis-based development firm planning two apartment buildings at the former Pabst Brewery complex near downtown Milwaukee has purchased the property for $3 million and is planning to begin construction this fall.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan15 View Post
Also, a little birdie (fairly high up little birdie) told me they are in the process of luring a company that would bring a HQ with 900-1000 jobs to the arena district. Take that for what it's worth but thought I would share.
Randomly thinking about how I was told that the Bucks were in the process of luring a HQ with 900 people to the arena district. Coincidence that Fiserv is said to employ about 900 in Brookfield and looking to potentially relocate it's HQ to the city?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:50 AM

State Street Station adds to Tosa’s apartment boom

Quote:
Other apartment developers also have realized the potential Wauwatosa brings, with its proximity to downtown Milwaukee and its central location that is accessible to many of Milwaukee’s largest employers, including Kohl’s Corp., MillerCoors LLC and Harley-Davidson Inc.–not to mention the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, which employs 15,000 people, according to VISIT Wauwatosa.

Since the recession ended, the city has made a concerted effort to attract more multi-family developments, like State Street Station, to Wauwatosa. In the past eight years, more than 1,500 new apartment units either have opened or been approved, and city officials would like to see more.
Wauwatosa's boom seems poised to be long lasting. 1,000 apartments are planned at The District alone (the first 250 of which have started). Tosa has a lot going for it from being the geographic center of the metro area to being the 2nd largest (and quickly growing) population center outside of downtown Milwaukee. Restaurants that rival downtown Milwaukee, nightlife, shopping, great schools, and hell, Miller Park is just outside of the Wauwatosa city limits. It's too bad Tosa is pushing back at that planned 21-story tower. I'd love to see Tosa's mini skyline continue to grow over by the Research Park/Innovation Park/Medical Complex area.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 2:51 PM

More apartments to break ground soon north of Brady Street in Milwaukee

Quote:
​Construction will soon start on a 30-unit apartment building near East Brady Street in Milwaukee after Ogden Multifamily Partners LLC closed on the project financing last week.
Not quite sure what apartment this, I don't remember hearing about it, but looks like another small, infill project should be starting.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Randomly thinking about how I was told that the Bucks were in the process of luring a HQ with 900 people to the arena district. Coincidence that Fiserv is said to employ about 900 in Brookfield and looking to potentially relocate it's HQ to the city?
That would be great, but I read a quote from Feigin, I think sometime over the last year or so that they want to bring in someone from outside the region.

I was thinking there must be some company in NYC that wouldn't mind a less stressful existence.

Both would be better!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Wauwatosa's boom seems poised to be long lasting. 1,000 apartments are planned at The District alone (the first 250 of which have started). Tosa has a lot going for it from being the geographic center of the metro area to being the 2nd largest (and quickly growing) population center outside of downtown Milwaukee. Restaurants that rival downtown Milwaukee, nightlife, shopping, great schools, and hell, Miller Park is just outside of the Wauwatosa city limits. It's too bad Tosa is pushing back at that planned 21-story tower. I'd love to see Tosa's mini skyline continue to grow over by the Research Park/Innovation Park/Medical Complex area.
I find it odd that I posted this a few days ago. I received this in the mail today regarding expansion plans. This tower, which was initially rejected by the city due to NIMBYs, was first introduced at 21 stories. I now count 17 floors on this new rendering. Maybe they found a height compromise but this certainly seems like they are ready to move forward with what would be the tallest building in Wauwatosa. This could be exciting. Right across the freeway will be another vertical expansion of an already (newly constructed) existing building. Tosa is starting to get some height.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 1:43 PM
The City

Damn, Milwaukee! Keep rolling on

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:09 AM

Milhaus breaks ground on 274-unit Vim and Vigor apartment community in downtown Milwaukee

Quote:
Working in conjunction with local Milwaukee-based real estate developer WiRED Properties, the Vim and Vigor community is being developed on two separate lots, about a block apart from one another at The Brewery, the mixed-use development that revitalized the former Pabst complex.
Picture included in the article. I believe this, in addition to the U/C Hyatt Place, just about completes "The Brewery" redevelopment. Now let's just get that streetcar extension to The Brewery/Arena District!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 6:41 PM

Add Jackson to the list of streets (Broadway and St. Paul) being dug up for the streetcar. Started digging a trench today.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 7:20 PM

Additionally, fencing is now up around both Milhaus apartment sites at The Brewery.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:59 PM

Foxconn

Site in Caledonia pitched to large industrial tenant

Quote:
As Caledonia vies for this mystery tenant, the village and other municipalities are also waiting to see if any will be in the running for Foxconn Technology Group, the Taiwanese company that is considering Wisconsin along with other Midwestern states.

Benkowski said Caledonia has the land along I-94 for Foxconn, but Mount Pleasant might be better suited because Highway 20 is more developed.

“Kenosha does not have the land, but Mount Pleasant does and Caledonia does, so maybe we could put something together where Foxconn is located in both municipalities,” he said. “If Foxconn occurs, the additional support services that come with it would be a benefit for all of the surround municipalities.”
Could Foxconn come to Racine County?

Just some interesting articles about the continued rush of industrial development happening in suburban Racine/Kenosha counties.

Foxconn would be a HUGE get for SE Wisconsin. I've heard anywhere between 5,000 and 50,000 jobs which would change the game for Racine/Kenosha. I've read about whole cities popping up around Foxconn factories. If this happens, I think it would change the face of the Milwaukee Metro area. Perfectly situated between Milwaukee and Chicago yet solidly more in Milwaukee's sphere of influence than Chicago's. I really hope this happens.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:34 PM

Suburban Development News - Tosa

The District at the Mayfair Collection is going to be HUGE. The foundation for one of the buildings is already poured and, judging by that, it is going to be pretty massive. There are also numerous elevator shafts popping out of the ground on the easternmost building. It may only be 6 stories, but it's going to be interesting to watch this one rise.

For those not familiar with the project, it's the first 2 buildings of a multi-phase, 1000+ unit development that is part of a larger "Town-Square" style redevelopment. Based off what I saw there last time, when all phases are complete, this may be one of the largest suburban projects happening in the Milwaukee Metro area.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:49 PM

Marcus & Millichap: Apartment construction booming in Milwaukee

Quote:
Apartment construction is surging across the Milwaukee market, according to the latest research from Marcus & Millichap. According to the company’s second quarter multifamily research, developers are expected to add 3,633 apartment units to the Milwaukee market during 2017. That is a significant increase from 2016, when 1,924 new apartment rentals came online.
Quote:
What is fueling this construction boom? Increasing demand for urban living is helping. At the same time, the population in the Milwaukee area is expected to grow. Marcus & Millichap reported that Milwaukee’s population is expected to grow by 14,600 in the next five years. The market is also expected to see 21,000 new households during the next five years.
I highlighted what I thought was important from the article. This certainly seems to contradict other news outlets that cite Milwaukee's "population decline" and definitely seems to fall more in line with the construction boom happening across the city AND suburbs.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:25 PM

Bring On Foxconn...

Wisconsin a frontrunner for Foxconn plant; incentive package expected

Quote:
Wisconsin is one of two states now considered frontrunners to land new manufacturing facilities for Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 11:28 PM
somewhere in-between

Go Michigan! (Just kidding - it will be neat to see either of these Midwest states land this).

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:10 PM

More On Foxconn

It's wait and see time now but all signs are starting to point toward Wisco...

Group pursuing large Foxconn factory wants to tap City of Racine for water, sewer

Quote:
Representatives of a closely guarded effort to land a much-sought-after Foxconn Technology Group factory have approached the City of Racine about providing water and sewer service to a potential large plant outside the city limits, Mayor John Dickert said Friday.

“I was informed in a general conversation from somebody who I will not name who just simply said, ‘There’s a big development out west that we’re working on,’” he said.
Wisconsin a frontrunner for Foxconn plant; incentive package expected

Quote:
In Wisconsin, “megasites” in Racine and Kenosha counties are being considered by Foxconn, said Boyd.

The Racine County Board this week passed, in closed session, a transfer of $500,000 from the general fund to go toward “economic support,” although it remained unclear whether the transfer is related to the Foxconn project. A Racine County official did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Looks like it's down to Wisconsin and Michigan. I see Wisconsin coming out on top for 2 reasons; this is in Paul Ryan's district and Trump already hinted that Wisconsin would be getting a huge surprise soon from an electronics manufacturer. I see politics playing out with this one and hey, I'll take it if it means the Milwaukee metro area benefits. This would be an absolute game changer for SE Wisconsin, more specifically Milwaukee, if they do indeed choose Racine County over Kenosha County.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations