HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Ft Rouge Glass is a shitty industrial building covered in steel, a nice residential tower will be a great fit and it’s on the River! Easy site is just a site. More residential along our Rivers is great!
Haha... it wasn't pretty but I kind of liked their little light industrial atelier in the middle of a neighbourhood thing going on. It's like something you would expect to see somewhere in Germany. But point taken, it is a site that is better suited to residential.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Haha... it wasn't pretty but I kind of liked their little light industrial atelier in the middle of a neighbourhood thing going on. It's like something you would expect to see somewhere in Germany. But point taken, it is a site that is better suited to residential.
I always thought that FRG building would make an ideal craft brewery. The FRG sign/logo looked to me like it could be something cool like that. I always felt a bit disappointed that it was just a glass place when I drove by.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:13 PM

like the new proposal there.

Looking at the birds eye view of the area - besides the transit depot that area feels like it has a lot of potential for a nice neighbourhood. Nice tight little area there between the river and a major road between Woodward and Mulvey. I guess there are already homes there still various warehouse / soulless looking buildings.

Transit relocating isn't realistic or plausible I'm guessing? I would say just the gas station but assuming part of that is having wpg transit nearby has the same issues. Osborne could continue to grow more dense* if that area could develop a bit more.

Don't think transit is necessarily the problem but just good potential area for expansion near an already dense neighbourhood (despite the woes of the strip, the neighbourhood is doing fine) would be cool to see it get reinforcements from the immediate south.

Last edited by tree; Jan 6, 2018 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:14 PM

^ The abysmal development of the site with MTS/Co-op/McDonald's really hurt the prospects of that area. Now along the west side of Osborne, you have a couple of giant lots with a small gas station and fast food building, following by the massive wall of the transit garage. That's a steep hurdle to overcome in terms of making an attractive urban environment.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:34 PM

Public engagement has started on the bike/ped crossing from Osborne to Downtown (Assiniboine Ave). Online survey available, drop in at Little Sister and Fools and Horses or wait for public meeting on Jan 25.

Details here: http://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr...20180104.stm#2

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:44 PM

Banana boat is reopening on meadowood across from st vital centre

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:48 PM

I can't believe that ped bridge could finally be happening. I think the idea was first thrown around publicly about 10-12 years ago. It'll be a very useful link to bring downtown and OV closer together, and I think it'll help breathe some life into Fort Rouge Park.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:01 PM

I am so excited about that pedestrian bridge. I want it built... NOW! Haha.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I can't believe that ped bridge could finally be happening. I think the idea was first thrown around publicly about 10-12 years ago. It'll be a very useful link to bring downtown and OV closer together, and I think it'll help breathe some life into Fort Rouge Park.
It's definitely a game changer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Is it budgeted for? Or is this just consultation in advance of actually figuring out how to fund it?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:40 PM

^ I doubt it's funded this far out, but normally when the wheels start turning with consultations, preliminary design, etc., it usually means that the idea has legs.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:53 PM

Maybe we'll finally get a Calatrava design and be a REAL city! *sarcasm*
Either way, this bridge will be a great addition to the area and hopefully spur connections in other neighbourhoods that could use this type of AT infrastructure *cough cough* norwood to south Osborne *cough cough*

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:59 PM

^ Would you settle for a Stantec or WSP design?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
the eternal romance and graceful permanence of the moray street bridge will be hard to mimic!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Well, WSP did win this job...

The RFP did call for a "landmark structure" so hopefully it will end up somewhat aesthetically pleasing.

This is a prelim design project, so there's most likely plans for construction funding, but we could end up with the exact same situation as the ped/bike bridge over Pembina at Bishop Grandin; where they finish the prelim and shelve the project until the funding is there. I hope not!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 6:31 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Either way, this bridge will be a great addition to the area and hopefully spur connections in other neighbourhoods that could use this type of AT infrastructure *cough cough* norwood to south Osborne *cough cough*
This bridge is definitely needed... imagine it being integrated with Osborne Station, it would see so much more use and Osborne would be so much more accessible to an entire neighborhood! When I lived in Norwood I had to walk to Stradbrook every day just to catch the bus to U of M.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
before value engineering

after value engineering

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 6:46 PM

that last one would be more accurate if it had a donkey tied to it for scale ^^^

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:51 PM

They'll probably build the bridge at the same elevation as the river trail so it will be unusable during the summer. Or they will value engineer it with 3 - 12' culverts and it will look like hell. Just guesses.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:21 AM

I'm just gonna settle for the Tache Promenade being really, really well-done and it hopefully inspires more like-minded projects further along the rivers in other directions!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan