HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:35 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So are the Senators going to move to Quebec City now? lol
No, but they may eventually move back to Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
That is if they can survive the Melnyk era.

To be honest though, if there was one franchise that Bettman might consider relocating to QC, it would likely be the Senators......

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Extreme changes like this are nothing more then cash grabs. Also the " WE ARE TRUE NORTH" at least your stolen catch phrase is hidden. "WE THE NORTH" has been around for many many years now and technically when it comes to hockey "WE ARE TRUE NORTH" goes to Edmonton.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Will be awesome to have them move into the city, hopefully they can actually sell out games that way!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:35 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

To be honest though, if there was one franchise that Bettman might consider relocating to QC, it would likely be the Senators......
Or the Flames given the feud he and King are having with Nenshi.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The NHL's BoG is ensuring they're going to survive it.

Quote:
The NHL doesn't really want to relocate its franchises, though. It hurts its brand and lowers franchise valuations for the other teams. The NHL will do everything in its power to ensure the Senators stay in Ottawa (and the Flames in Calgary, and etc., etc.). It's not as if this is the first time the NHL has had to bail out Ottawa from a terrible situation.

Like I say every other time this topic comes up: There's, like, five different US cities ahead of Quebec City in line for relocation/expansion. The only way QC gets a team is if some owner absolutely craters their franchise and there are no owners willing to keep that franchise in that location and there's no arena option for the league to run the team. This isn't the case in Ottawa and won't be the case in Calgary, either. The NHL gains nothing by moving one Canadian franchise to another Canadian location, especially one which would be a tougher sell to free agents and sponsors like Quebec would be.

Quote:
Will be awesome to have them move into the city, hopefully they can actually sell out games that way!
Guaranteed.

LeBreton is such an ideal location for an arena it's beyond frustrating that it didn't work out 20+ years ago as the initial location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Or the Flames given the feud he and King are having with Nenshi.
I know this is tongue-in-cheek but relocating a Western team to the East doesn't make any sense for the NHL at this stage due to conference inbalance.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I believe that a Sens ticket in a smaller arena at Lebreton Flats will become a very hot commodity in Ottawa. Much like a Jets ticket in a small downtown arena in Winnipeg. With all the commercial and residential development planned for Lebreton, it will become the new go to location in Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 8:04 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Actual NHL hockey stuff:

Max Domi gets suspended for the rest of the preseason schedule (5 games) for pulling a Tie Domi on Aaron Ekblad last night.

https://www.tsn.ca/habs-domi-suspend...ason-1.1176534

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 8:06 PM

Should be no such thing as a preseason suspension. Actual games or you're not accomplishing anything.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Should be no such thing as a preseason suspension. Actual games or you're not accomplishing anything.
Agreed. Should have added another regular season game or three onto it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:32 PM

That's a joke right? You can just cold cock a guy in the preseason and there is no real punishment...missing the preaseason isn't punishment...ok NHL.

He could have cost Ekbald his whole season with that cheap shot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

This will be taken into consideration for any future incidents though, so it's not completely useless. I agree that any suspension should happen during the season though.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:13 PM

I don’t know Ekblad’s personality, but I hope he taps Domi on the shoulder next time they meet. I think he will leave it up to somebody else though. A cowardly move like that should earn at least a couple regular season games.

Looking forward to seeing both Boeser and Peterson on the power play tonight. Both have excellent one timers. Boeser gained 10 pounds of muscle this year so his shot may be a bit faster. Pettersson at 170 pounds can shoot it 97 miles per hour.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:00 PM
Community Guy

Off to Oilers Pre-Season game #1 with Oilers/Jets.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I don’t know Ekblad’s personality, but I hope he taps Domi on the shoulder next time they meet. I think he will leave it up to somebody else though. A cowardly move like that should earn at least a couple regular season games.

Looking forward to seeing both Boeser and Peterson on the power play tonight. Both have excellent one timers. Boeser gained 10 pounds of muscle this year so his shot may be a bit faster. Pettersson at 170 pounds can shoot it 97 miles per hour.
The whole point is that ekblad literally cant fight without risking his entire career. His next concussion is probably his last.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:42 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Extreme changes like this are nothing more then cash grabs. Also the " WE ARE TRUE NORTH" at least your stolen catch phrase is hidden. "WE THE NORTH" has been around for many many years now and technically when it comes to hockey "WE ARE TRUE NORTH" goes to Edmonton.
Those new Jets 3rd jerseys Look like the original Penguins jerseys from the '70s.

I think my favourite Jets jersey is the white WHA version that they wore in the outdoor game.

Last edited by craner; Sep 21, 2018 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
The whole point is that ekblad literally cant fight without risking his entire career. His next concussion is probably his last.
That makes the sucker punch far worse. If he hits him in the jaw, that might have been it for Ekblad.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:07 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Domi's suspension shouldn't be affected by whether he's punching someone made of glass or not. His suspension is warranted but it shouldn't deviate based on target, unless premeditation can be proven which I highly doubt in this instance. If Ekblad is in such a precarious predicament that a hit or shot to the upper body is a cause for concern he really shouldn't be playing.

Obviously the NHL's suspensions do deviate on this to some degree (kneeing Crosby versus kneeing some no-name fourth liner).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:47 PM

I don't think it's a very bold claim to say that the Calder is Pettersson's to lose if he stays healthy this year. Canuck's have had some good success in the draft and may be able to find themselves out of a rebuild faster than expected if they stop giving shitty deals to free agents.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:37 PM

yeah it's fun to be a Canucks fan again. I wish Pettersson had some better players to play with though. Boeser and Horvat, Baertschi are the first line. That leaves not a lot for Pettersson to play with. Loui Eriksson i guess, but he's been a bust in Vancouver. For Pettersson to win the Calder, he's going to have to rack up a lot power play points because I don't think he's going to get much 5 on 5. Pettersson is terrible at face-offs by-the-way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada