HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:20 PM

Proposed Beltline trail and transit alignment

Trail Options A & B

Westside Park Master plan

Historic 4th Ward Park Master plan

Beltline Connections with the Concept 3 transit plan

Recent Beltline Videos
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQdhVWcDje4

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvMHZiR6_3o

Beltine.org

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Updated periodically with new information

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:00 PM

Bad news

I have some friends who have Ryan Gravel for an adviser in architecture at GT and apparently the politicians have killed the original idea. The land grabs by developers and corruption of city government have made the proposal impossible to implement at this point. Now that the city is millions in debt and TADs are not possible, the public transit portion of this proposal looks like it will not be implemented.

Though do look for a lot more multimodal transportation proposals, since the feds are going to start giving more grants and money to an interstate rail infrastructure (to try to minimize oil demands...in combination with the new mpg regulations)...this will either be announced as a last hurrah by bush, or by whoever is elected into office.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:26 PM

aren't they going to try to rewrite the TAD laws. will their be opposition to that?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigstigGT View Post
Now that the city is millions in debt and TADs are not possible, the public transit portion of this proposal looks like it will not be implemented.
It will still be a very nice walkway. This city is in dire need of more ways to walk around!

The transit component may be dead for now but I wouldn't be shocked to see it taken up again by future generations.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
It will still be a very nice walkway. This city is in dire need of more ways to walk around!

The transit component may be dead for now but I wouldn't be shocked to see it taken up again by future generations.
Yeah, the part I was always most interested in was the Emerald Necklace that Alexander Garvin proposed. Such a wonderful collection of new and enhanced parks around the city.

I wouldn't bee surprised to see transit from the InmanPark/Reynoldstown station up to Lindburgh (or at least to the proposed Armour station) in the next 15 years, but not sure about the rest.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 7:38 PM

TAD's are still in use its just that the portion that would go to school tax is no longer allowed. There will be a referendum on the using the school tax this fall.

Its understandable for Gavel to be pessimistic if he has to deal with our city govt at all but I don't know how any part of it could be dead at this very early stage.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:30 PM

I don't think it's just the TAD issue, though. Property tax revenues are down and the city is already going to be announcing whopping budget cuts tomorrow. Personally I'd love to see a transit component at some point but if all we can get right now is trails then I'll certainly take that!

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 9:15 PM

Since TAD funds come from selling bonds, I'm not sure how the budget crisis would have any impact on them.

Neighbors to fight new proposed Beltline trail

The proposed stretch goes through Atlanta Memorial Park and Bobby Jones golf course

By PAUL DONSKY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/05/08

Just weeks after a compromise was reached on a leg of the Beltline trail through a Buckhead park, residents are gearing up for what may be another showdown over an adjacent trail that's also in the planning stages.

The proposed stretch, which goes through Atlanta Memorial Park and Bobby Jones golf course, is expected to be discussed at a Beltline community planning meeting at 6:30 tonight at the AGL Resources building, 10 Peachtree Place in Midtown.

The nonprofit PATH Foundation has been planning the segment for a number of years. It's not part of the Beltline trail but will connect the park and golf course to the Betline.

Some residents who live along the proposed route have been pushing for the trail to stay on the golf course side of Tanyard Creek, which runs close to their backyards. The residents have opposed placing the trail on the side of the creek closer to their homes, saying it would jeopardize their privacy and could pose security concerns.

Mark Corrigan said his street, Overbrook Drive, is a busy thoroughfare carrying people to nearby Piedmont Hospital.

"All we on Overbrook Drive have is our backyards," he said. "We have foxes back here. We see geese. It's a natural habitat."

Ed McBrayer, executive director of the nonprofit PATH Foundation, said he will present two proposals tonight — one running through the golf course property that would require some reconstruction of the course, and another running closer to the homes.

The latter option represents a compromise, McBrayer said, in that it has removed a portion of the trail from a heavily forested area known as Cathedral Woods.

McBrayer said he's confounded by the intense neighborhood reaction.

"To retrofit a trail system in a built-up city, we're always going to be close to somebody's house, or else we're not going to have a trail system," he said.

He took issue with the safety concerns, saying the trail will generate walking, jogging and biking traffic which will deter criminals from illegal activity.

"The overwhelming majority of people in metro Atlanta think trying to connect our green spaces and employment centers with trails for bicycling and walking is a good thing," he said. "If you can't connect existing city parks together, how are you going to build a trail?"

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 9:22 PM

Atlanta mulls Beltline's bond finance proposal

The Atlanta City Council on Monday is expected to consider allowing Beltline leaders to begin the process of selling up to $120 million in bonds to help pay for the planned 22-mile loop of trails, transit and parks.

Beltline officials will have to come back to the council later this summer to flesh out exactly how they plan to spend the money, however.

The bonds will be backed by increases in tax revenue on property inside the Beltline tax allocation district.

Beltline officials had planned to issue $200 million in bonds in 2006, but Buckhead lawyer John Woodham filed a lawsuit to stop the sale, claiming the state Constitution forbids using school tax money on anything other than education.

After a legal battle that ended up before the state Supreme Court, Woodham won the case. The bond sale now being pursued by Beltline officials relies only on city and county property tax revenues.

Beltline officials say they hope to issue bonds in September, providing a needed influx of capital.

The bond issue will be the first of several planned in the next 25 years projected to raise $1 billion. The Beltline, one of the largest public works projects in Atlanta's history, has a projected $2.8 billion budget.

— Paul Donsky

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 9:23 PM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Neighbors to fight new proposed Beltline trail
Some residents who live along the proposed route have been pushing for the trail to stay on the golf course side of Tanyard Creek, which runs close to their backyards. The residents have opposed placing the trail on the side of the creek closer to their homes, saying it would jeopardize their privacy and could pose security concerns.

. . .

"All we on Overbrook Drive have is our backyards," he said. "We have foxes back here. We see geese. It's a natural habitat."
One might call them NIMBYs.

<snicker>

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Since TAD funds come from selling bonds, I'm not sure how the budget crisis would have any impact on them.
Well, for one thing the bonds have to be paid off with tax revenues.

The other aspect of it is perhaps more subtle, but not insignificant in my opinion. City staff will see major cuts across the board, for instance. That can reduce planning staff, code enforcement staff, watershed and public works staff, legal staff, and just about everything else. There will be less for money for developing, acquiring and maintaining parks. Less money for sidewalks. Less money for police and fire services. Less money for trash pickup and disposal. Less money for paving streets. Higher water bills. Higher property tax bills. All of these things go to support of the Beltline and the areas around it.

And how does this decline in services affect overall public support for projects like the Beltline, which really only has a peripheral and very long term effect on much of the city? If you can't get your potholes fixed, don't have a park for miles around, can't get your trash picked up or a response about the rattle-trap house down the street, and don't have enough policemen, fireman, planners or solicitors, how interested will people be in a gentrification project across town?

Last edited by Andrea; May 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 12:35 AM

how is the beltline a "gentrification project"???

i was at the sat mtg about the beltline parks. almost all the parks being pushed forward are in less affluent and blighted neighborhoods. they will have very real impact and they are breaking ground now on some parks.

giving people greenspace and new park facilities is a must.

maybe the long-term transportation plans for the beltline aren't priority #1, but the "emerald necklace" is a must for a city with such little greenspace.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
One might call them NIMBYs.

<snicker>
Yes, but you can appreciate their point of view, even if it's bunk. Many people believe the Beltline is a boondoggle that doesn't provide them with any benefits. Some think they wouldn't like a public trail in their backyard. Others feel like they should be able to have a cookout or do a little sunbathing without having joggers and bikers passing by. And while one would hope a public trail in the backyard wouldn't increase pilferage or vandalism, I'm not sure I could vouch to these people that it's not a possibility.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
maybe the long-term transportation plans for the beltline aren't priority #1, but the "emerald necklace" is a must for a city with such little greenspace.
I agree.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 2:45 AM
Reliable Source

It's a worthy goal that is fueling massive development in the SE quadrant, and other parts will follow. Neighborhoods need dreams and goals.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 3:57 AM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Yes, but you can appreciate their point of view, even if it's bunk. Many people believe the Beltline is a boondoggle that doesn't provide them with any benefits. Some think they wouldn't like a public trail in their backyard. Others feel like they should be able to have a cookout or do a little sunbathing without having joggers and bikers passing by. And while one would hope a public trail in the backyard wouldn't increase pilferage or vandalism, I'm not sure I could vouch to these people that it's not a possibility.
Heh, I wasn't actually making a judgment; I was just deconstructing the acronym and applying it literally.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
Heh, I wasn't actually making a judgment; I was just deconstructing the acronym and applying it literally.
I know -- it was too perfect to pass up.

I didn't intend any sort of refutation to your comment, joey. I was just sticking up a little for NIMBY's in general. Everybody gives them grief, until their own backyard is involved. Witness the discussion about the partygoers in Midtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 9:28 PM

Quote:
TAD's are still in use its just that the portion that would go to school tax is no longer allowed. There will be a referendum on the using the school tax this fall.
Is this for sure? The issue will be on the November ballot?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Is this for sure? The issue will be on the November ballot?
Yep. AJC article

Also....

The city council approved a measure giving Beltline leaders the ability to begin the process of selling up to $120 million in bonds to help pay for the 22-mile loop of trails, transit and parks.

Beltline officials will have to come back later this summer for council approval on precisely how they plan to spend the money.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 8, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:00 PM

This past weekend I took a little walk to the back side of Ansley mall out of curiosity and saw the creek and the railroad where the proposed beltline will pass. I thought to myself that this creek next to the beltline is really going to open up possibilities. They will be able to put up several pedestrian crossing bridges along that creek to link the beltline with whatever redevelopment they choose for ansley and other areas. I think that people will begin to have greater appreciation for Atlanta's creek system, which has a lot of potential. There are several beautiful creeks in in-town Atlanta. I have walked a little of the one down near the Armour drive design district, which is a tributary to Peachtree Creek I believe. Heck with all the money in this town they could even put up wooden elevated walkways along parts of the creek that aren't feasible for flat trails along the embankment. It's unfortunate that this hasn't already been done. This is a city of 5 million people, yet I can go back to my home town in Alabama (Huntsville) and there are miles and miles of creekside walkways (my dad is the city planner there and helped with that). It seems to me that this Beltline project should be thought out in phases. 1st phase would be to just build asphalt walkways, and then years down the road worry about trains. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Atlanta who would bike that trail. Start with a cheapo (4" thick) 10' wide walkway and keep it simple.

And don't charge $3 to park like the foolish state does with the Chattahoochee trails. Most parks in this country aren't that absurd.

http://www.civiltips.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta