HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:27 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordite_93 View Post
Halifax would NEVER be able to support a CFL team. Halifax is an NFL city, so we would be better off being the first city in Canada to have an NFL team before a CFL team.
So you are saying that Halifax should build a stadium of minimum 60,000 seats. That's less than the current NFL average and would probably still be less than required amount to make a team profitable here.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Halifax would NEVER be able to support a CFL team. Halifax is an NFL city, so we would be better off being the first city in Canada to have an NFL team before a CFL team.
Now thats just plain funny!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:36 AM

Quote:

Why think small? Why not go for the big 4? nfl,nhl,nba,mlb.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:24 AM

Dont feed the troll.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Dont feed the troll.

No worries, my east coast friend. On the contrary, I look forward to the day
a cfl franchise is awarded to halifax, or Moncton.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the Saskatchewan thread

Quote:
Could Saskatchewan someday be home to two Canadian Football League teams?

Management at Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon have confirmed they've been pursuing a CFL franchise for the city since 2009.

The revelation is found in two recent lawsuits filed against the entertainment venue.

Rich Gabruch, the chair of the Centre's board of directors, confirmed that employees went to Texas to look at stadiums.

"Management, I think, considered a trip to an NFL facility as useful to determine what kind of facility needs we had to put together a full package for that project to determine if it was feasible," Gabruch said.

Gabruch took over the CFL file for the Centre last summer.

The lawsuits were filed this week by two senior managers who were fired for what the board says was an unauthorized trip to Phoenix.

The managers said the trip was similar to other authorized trips and part of the mission pertained to a possible CFL franchise and stadium project.
Interesting news. This could be the groundwork for an eventual 12 team CFL:

West Division
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Regina
Saskatoon
Winnipeg

East Division
Hamilton
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal
Quebec City
Moncton/Halifax

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:27 AM

Will there be a game this year? I heard nothing of it...except for the fact that there might NOT be one due to a 100 year anniversary.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Commissioner Cohon was pretty circumspect on this point after Touchdown Atlantic #2, so I'm not holding my breath about the possibility of a game this year.

This has less to do with the last game not being a sellout as it does with other factors. It was after all a 98% sellout which is pretty damn good if you ask me!

- the fact that this is the CFL's centennial year is an issue. Celebrations around this are distracting to the league
- every Touchdown Atlantic means that some CFL team gives up a home game. This is a hardship for the team and their fans. The Argonauts probably don't want to do this because they want to maintain team interest in this year when they will host the Grey Cup. Hamilton is probably not intersted because they will be homeless next year. The only other likely "home" team would be Montreal, but they routinely have sellouts at Molson Stadium, and why would they want to give that up?
- i think that federal and provincial participation in Touchdown Atlantic is less likely this year for financial reasons.
- the CFL is probably looking forward to 2013 (the year that the Tiger Cats are homeless). They probably feel they can skip Touchdown Atlantic this year and reward Moncton next year with 2-3 Tiger Cat home games.

If the CFL is truly sampling the interest in the league in the region, it might make more sense to see what would happen if three consecutive games were played over a six week period. This might be more revealing than having just a one-off game. If interest could be demonstrated over this extended time period, this might be a better indication of what the fan base truly is.

I think the more important question is "what will the CFL do in the region after 2013?"

The era of annual Touchdown Atlantic games may be over. What happens in 2013 likely will reveal what the future of the CFL in the region is........

It is interesting to see that a team in Saskatoon is being considered. If a province of one million people in the middle of the prairies might be able to support two teams, then what does this say about the Maritimes where you have 1.8 million people in a smaller geographic area? Could the Maritimes sustain two teams?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:41 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It is interesting to see that a team in Saskatoon is being considered. If a province of one million people in the middle of the prairies might be able to support two teams, then what does this say about the Maritimes where you have 1.8 million people in a smaller geographic area?
Geographic area isn't really smaller considering the majority of Sask's population is in the south of the province. Considering distance between major cities v. Maritime cities, i'd say Saskatchewan has a denser population with a closer area of the two major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Could the Maritimes sustain two teams?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 4:29 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Geographic area isn't really smaller considering the majority of Sask's population is in the south of the province. Considering distance between major cities v. Maritime cities, i'd say Saskatchewan has a denser population with a closer area of the two major cities.
It is actually. Southern Saskatchewan is twice the size of the Maritimes.

Maritimes: 132,416 sq km
Saskatchewan: 651,900 sq km

The Maritimes is much denser than southern Saskatchewan.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 2, 2012 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Maritimes: 132,416 sq km
Saskatchewan: 651,900 sq km
As I said in the previous post, you shouldn't use the entire province of Saskatchewan because virtually no-one lives in the upper half, or even upper two/thirds. So what you're really looking at is Maritimes 132Kkm and Saskatchewan 350Kkm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Maritimes is much denser than southern Saskatchewan.
I know this, but the Maritimes isn't just a block. There are things to drive around, like water. It's a three hour drive from Saint John to Halifax, which is similar in length to the drive between Regina & Saskatoon as far as length and distance is concerned. Moncton and Halifax are closer, of course. Depending on where you have a team, there are going to be a lot of people in the Maritimes outside of this three hour window.

I'm not doubting that the Maritimes could support a team, don't get me wrong.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I know this, but the Maritimes isn't just a block. There are things to drive around, like water. It's a three hour drive from Saint John to Halifax, which is similar in length to the drive between Regina & Saskatoon as far as length and distance is concerned. Moncton and Halifax are closer, of course. Depending on where you have a team, there are going to be a lot of people in the Maritimes outside of this three hour window.
Yes, that pesky Bay of Fundy and the Northumberland Strait certainly get in the way! I would have thought it would be a four hour drive from SJ to the Fax. How fast do you drive Greg?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:40 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
As I said in the previous post, you shouldn't use the entire province of Saskatchewan because virtually no-one lives in the upper half, or even upper two/thirds. So what you're really looking at is Maritimes 132Kkm and Saskatchewan 350Kkm.
I haven't used the entire province of Saskatchewan; I clearly said southern Saskatchewan. I didn't think I needed to do the basic math to show that, but I guess I do:

651,900 sq km / 3 = 217,300 sq km

My post clearly indicates that the bottom one third of Saskatchewan (southern Saskatchewan like I said in my post) is almost double the size of the Maritimes.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:32 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Bad news...No CFL game in Moncton this year, though it looks like they'll be back in 2013:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...0.html?cmp=rss
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

not a Maritime CFL story, but a neat one nonetheless

Patriots' Gronkowski visits Miramichi school

Rob Gronkowski went to class at Nelson Rural School on Wednesday
CBC News Posted: Apr 12, 2012 6:50 AM AT Last Updated: Apr 12, 2012 7:17 AM AT

Miramichi is recovering from a bit of football fever after New England Patriots star tight end Rob Gronkowski made a trip to a northern New Brunswick school.

Staff and students at Nelson Rural School welcomed the six-foot-six, 258-pound tight end to class on Wednesday.

Gronkowski made the trip from Boston after Grade 8 student Alex Allain won an online contest to bring a National Football League star to school for the day.

“The first thing I thought was, 'Wow he's tall.' And I couldn't believe that was happening and I was just freaking out,” Allain said.

Gronkowski is used to playing in front of fans at sold-out NFL stadiums, including the 2011 Super Bowl.

But the star tight end said he was surprised when he received a hero’s welcome from a packed gymnasium.

“It's just wild that there's so many Pats fans up here and this is all the way up here in Canada,” he said.

“We're about a three-hour plane flight away, so it's a pleasure though.”

Gronkowski has several NFL records to his credit. In the 2011 season, he became the tight end to lead the league in receiving touchdowns and he had the most receiving yards by a tight end in a season with 1,327.

The Patriots' star didn't spend the entire time signing autographs. He also helped out with gym class, as part of Play 60, the NFL’s active lifestyles and anti-bullying initiative.

When Gronkowski left Nelson Rural School, he left behind several pieces of equipment, including dozens of footballs.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 3:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the sports section of the T&T today, they strongly intimated that there will be "at least one" (read possibly 2-3) regular season CFL games in Moncton in 2013. The home team will be the Hamilton Tiger Cats, who will be homeless next season while Ivor Wynne Stadium is rebuilt.

The Ti-Cats don't want to alienate their fan base, so most of their games will be played either in London or at the stadium at McMaster University, so I doubt we will get more than two games, but even two regular season CFL games would be a bonus.

Negotiations are ongoing.......

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

CFL pros score points with Moncton students

Weekend workshops teaches students tips on and off the field
CBC News Posted: May 13, 2012 3:32 PM AT Last Updated: May 13, 2012 4:39 PM AT

Nearly 30 high school students in Moncton spent the weekend working up close with stars from the Canadian Football League.

The CFL pros hosted a football workshop at Rocky Stone Field. The students spent three days learning how to drop-back, throw and see the field better.

"It's definitely just exciting and fun," said Kris Brine, a 17-year-old-quarterback. "They're not only out here to play football and do hard work, but they're here to have a good time, too."

This is the first time the pros visited Moncton, but the program has been offered in other Canadian cities.

Dave Stala of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats is friends with one of the high school teachers who invited them to come. Stala jumped at the chance to take part. He said he's thrilled to watch the students work so hard during the drills.

"It puts a smile on your face because you know they're getting better. Hopefully they can use it for their sport or whatever they want to do."

Stala said it's not just about developing football skills. He said it's important for the teens to have role models.

"We told all these kids that they're going to come over hurdles," he said. "Once you jump over hurdles, then keep going."

Stala is already planning to return to Moncton next year. He's hoping to double the number of students who participate.

personal note - there could have been twice as many Moncton high school football players out for this workshop if it hadn't coincided with a spring football training camp in Saint John in preparation to select "Team NB" for the Under 18 Canada Cup Football Tournament in London, Ontario this summer. My son was in SJ. Too bad.....

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 4:28 PM

I'm quite optimistic for an expansion to Moncton, it seems viable and the Touchdown Atlantic games for me show the CFL's interest in putting a team in Moncton. Here's a few points I have on why I think a team would be expanded to here soon...

- Touchdown Atlantic for me is a market test for the CFL, I feel it's gained the CFL major confidence in the area

- With Ottawa gaining a franchise again the league I believe would be looking to expand elsewhere to even sides, Moncton is able to fill the void

- With the geographic range, areas and places like Quebec City and elsewhere would really squeeze together with other teams in the area (ignoring the Calgary - Edmonton situation, both large cities). I think expanding to Moncton is a plus in the eyes of the CFL as it would move into an untouched area and would really spread the CFL across Canada

- I think if a team was placed here it would be marketed as Atlantic and not Moncton which would help market it better to our region as a whole

I honestly think Moncton in the CFL is like Winnipeg in the NHL, it's small market by standards but it can work.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:58 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
I'm quite optimistic for an expansion to Moncton, it seems viable and the Touchdown Atlantic games for me show the CFL's interest in putting a team in Moncton. Here's a few points I have on why I think a team would be expanded to here soon...

- Touchdown Atlantic for me is a market test for the CFL, I feel it's gained the CFL major confidence in the area

- With Ottawa gaining a franchise again the league I believe would be looking to expand elsewhere to even sides, Moncton is able to fill the void

- With the geographic range, areas and places like Quebec City and elsewhere would really squeeze together with other teams in the area (ignoring the Calgary - Edmonton situation, both large cities). I think expanding to Moncton is a plus in the eyes of the CFL as it would move into an untouched area and would really spread the CFL across Canada

- I think if a team was placed here it would be marketed as Atlantic and not Moncton which would help market it better to our region as a whole

I honestly think Moncton in the CFL is like Winnipeg in the NHL, it's small market by standards but it can work.
You pretty much just named the same reasons why Halifax would be a good choice too, although I do think Hali has more going for it in regards to getting a team, current stadium or not.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 6:14 PM

This was a big discussion earlier in the thread, and I don't think any consensus was really reached.

But that said, both Moncton and Halifax make good (and similar) arguments for getting a CFL team.

Time will tell for what will happen, but I think the big difference between the cities is as follows:

Moncton is reaching out and trying to put a good faith showing that it can support a team and is willing to be flexible to support the team.

Halifax to date, hasn't appeared to be reaching out, and in some ways has seemed to be contracting away from anything sports related lately.

My own gut feeling is that we've got a 5 year (give or take) window that is open now, after which the momentum will be full speed towards a Maritime team of some sort. Right now Moncton's approaching full speed, while Halifax hasn't left the station yet. Halifax COULD conceivably catch up to Moncton's lead and surpass it, but it needs to start taking action soon. A few more years (especially when Moncton gets a few TiCat home games under its belt), and it'll be too late.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces