HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 4:51 AM

Central Nova Scotia Developments & Discussion Thread

The article below popped up on my feed this week. It's a significant project in Nova Scotia's third largest population centre. The Truro CA had about 45'000 people in 2016. I'll leave the exact boundaries for this thread vague but anything in Truro CA and Stewiacke should be fair game at a minimum.

Truro's Downtown To Grow With Recently Approved 8 Storey Building

Read the article on Saltwire.com (partial paywall)

Quick version is;

- 565 Prince Street (at Revere Street)
- 88 units and street level commercial
- Designed by Rural Roots Engineering & Design

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 12:04 PM

Nice looking design. I'm not familiar with Truro so I don't know how it will fit in but it looks like it should fit most anywhere.

The render is missing railings around the 7th floor, since it looks like there are double doors going out to the roof from the 8th floor.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 3:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is also this I found on CCD Canada about a month ago. This project is a five storey building, so presumably an entirely different project:

Quote:
TOWN OF TRURO, MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING

CCD Ref. Number : NS164210-21-09

Stage : 4-Drawing

Published : October 1, 2021

Last updated : October 25, 2021

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Mid-sized ($7,650,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4B-Residential Development

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

TRURO (NS)
(North Shore Nova Scotia)

Description :
NEW MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING -
Located in Truro, 85 Young St., this project estimated at $7 650 000 is in the drawings stage. Works concern the construction of a mixed-use building, 5 storeys in height, with residential space (53 units), commercial space (2 418 sqft) and a 2-level underground parking for cars (54 spaces) and bicycles.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
Is Truro about to start benefitting from it's (relative) proximity to Halifax, it's status as the "hub" of NS, and it's location on the Halifax/Moncton corridor???

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:58 AM

^So it turns out Town of Truro has a nice interactive developments map. That project is one of many listed as approved, under construction or pending. Sorry for the large images I can't adjust them. For reference the long building behind 85 Young is the Via Rail Station on Arthur Street.

54-58 Walker Street

Former Sears Building at Truro Mall

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 12:02 AM
ハルウララ

Really rooting for Truro to turn into a good hub centre for the Maritimes. Some of these developments look promising. 565 Prince in particular looks interesting.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:55 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Combining my vague memory of downtown Truro with Google satellite imagery, these all appear to be scattered around the outskirts of downtown, or outside of it altogether in the case of the mall redevelopment. There are definitely some ambitious developers in the area to come up with these, which is a plus, but it's too bad they couldn't create a more defined cluster with these closer to the heart of downtown.

From closest to furthest from the apparent core:
1) 85 Young, South end of downtown across the railway tracks
2) 54-58 Walker, NE edge of downtown across from Sobeys
3) 565 Prince St, NW edge (West end) of downtown - appears to stretch the definition of the downtown area.
4) Former Sears building in Truro Mall - on the tourist strip, "uptown", fast food alley, however you want to define it but outside downtown.

That said, it's not like the second largest population centre in the province hasn't dropped the ball on many, many occasions. Also, I hope all of these go through, as I always thought Truro deserved some larger buildings given it's surrounding population and hub location.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:17 AM

Newly approved project for 64 Golf Street, Truro (5 FL / 68 UNITS)

Newly approved project for 74 Lorne Street, Truro (6 FL / 62 UNITS + COMMERCIAL)

Both renderings above are from Truro's Interactive Planning Applications Map

Also Zzap Consulting has renderings of the approved Truro Mall redevelopment.

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 3:40 PM

219 Queen Street, Truro

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

306 James Street was approved in April. This will be at the edge of town along Highway 102 between Millbrook and the hospital.

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:02 AM

WM Fares Architects has a project listed for Kaulback Street, Truro (rendering). The Town of Truro mentions an approved development agreement for 3X50 unit buildings on this street and Google Maps shows one U/C.

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 4:49 PM

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 5:21 PM

THE HUB PHASE II

219 QUEEN STREET

I didn't see any new construction sites. Hopefully a few will start up in Early 2023.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 5:14 PM

Been awhile since I've posted, but thought this proposal was worth a mention.

ScotiaPort, as it is being proposed, is an Inland Intermodal Terminal to be built just north of the 102/104 interchange along the CN Mainline. A google of ScotiaPort returns their website, but a password is currently required to view the site (likely because they have not yet launched it). The below linked brochure is available though and provides an overview of the site plans.

http://scotiaport.com/wp-content/upl...t-Brochure.pdf

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 1:48 PM

New Roundabout to Improve Traffic Flow in Truro
Public Works
November 22, 2023 - 1:19 PM
People and businesses in the Truro area will benefit from improved road safety and travel times with the construction of a new roundabout at a busy intersection in the community.

The Province, federal government and Town of Truro will invest a total of $2.8 million in the project at McClures Mills Road and Willow Street.

“As a government, we are committed to road safety, and this investment will help to ease traffic congestion in a safe and efficient manner for motorists in the Truro area,” said David Ritcey, MLA for Truro-Bible Hill-Millbrook-Salmon River, on behalf of Public Works Minister Kim Masland. “Improving the flow of traffic at this busy three-way intersection will improve productivity for the local business community and support future growth of the town’s industrial park.”

The project will be designed to ease the current traffic congestion for almost 40,000 vehicles passing through daily and is expected to be completed by late 2024.

Government of Nova Scotia Press Release

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
Been awhile since I've posted, but thought this proposal was worth a mention.

ScotiaPort, as it is being proposed, is an Inland Intermodal Terminal to be built just north of the 102/104 interchange along the CN Mainline. A google of ScotiaPort returns their website, but a password is currently required to view the site (likely because they have not yet launched it). The below linked brochure is available though and provides an overview of the site plans.

http://scotiaport.com/wp-content/upl...t-Brochure.pdf

It appears ScotiaPort went bankrupt and Millbrook First Nation bought the land and will be moving forward with the inland terminal with construction beginning in 2024.

Here's a map of the location. I'm curious how they're planning on getting highway access from this location because there's no on-ramps on that side.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 1:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea if the connector is to be extended directly from the current interchange, all movements between 104 and 102 have better be kept free flowing. I have to say that now because N.S.T.I.R. likes to cheapen out with roundabouts. Those won’t cut it here. Moreover, at minimum, the flyover from 102N to 104W must be retained.
Ps: Whatever they build here can serve as a model for the eventual 104/125 interchange in Sydney as 104 extension will tie into Sydport.
PS2: Town of Truro? I’ve always thought that it’s a city. I mean, at the crossroad of Halifax Freeway and TCH, I can see it becoming something in the future.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Truro is, I believe, about 45,000 people. It is a significant community, arguably #3 in NS.

If Truro was in NB, it would be a city. NS seems to be mired in the concept of regional municipalities and county governments. I don't know how easy it would be for Truro to petition to become a city. At present, there are no cities in NS, only HRM and CBRM (regional municipalities). If they wanted to upgrade, they would likely have to become "CRM" and incorporate all of Colchester County.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:17 PM

I found this site plan (not sure how up to date it is) but it shows an extension of the 102 north and a new exit with roundabouts at Crowes Mills Rd.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 8:57 PM

I downloaded the original ScotiaPort brochure which included an overview of the site.

There was a new road and interchange added west of the current 102/104 interchange. If you're looking at google maps satellite view, it would have been just west of where the power lines cross the 104.

In addition to this new interchange, on/off ramps would be added to Crowes Mills Road on the west side only.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
In addition to this new interchange, on/off ramps would be added to Crowes Mills Road on the west side only.
The Crowes Mills interchange could of been handy to have the last couple of years with the Salmon River Bridge construction. It would of made the detour much more appealing.

In the long-term I think a bridge should be built over Salmon River west of the 102 for access and safety reasons. The bottom of Crowes Mills across to Route 236. It's a tertiary highway but it does terminate near Trunk 14 and by extension Highway 101 near Windsor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Truro is, I believe, about 45,000 people. It is a significant community, arguably #3 in NS.

If Truro was in NB, it would be a city. NS seems to be mired in the concept of regional municipalities and county governments. I don't know how easy it would be for Truro to petition to become a city. At present, there are no cities in NS, only HRM and CBRM (regional municipalities). If they wanted to upgrade, they would likely have to become "CRM" and incorporate all of Colchester County.
As of 2021;

Truro CA - 46'100
New Glasgow CA - 34'400 (+3'100 if you add Pictou).
Kentville CA - 26'900 (+5'000 if you add Wolfville).

It should be noted, in the 2021 Census, Wolfville registered a 20% growth rate over 5 years. Kentville CA came in at 2.7%. Together that is 5% growth overall. Truro only registered 1% and New Glasgow shrunk slightly. If the growth rate difference stays constant the top five could look very different in the coming decade.

As for municipial status, Truro should become a "city" which in Nova Scotia is a Regional Municipality. The CA should become the new RM minus the Northumberland Shore area (ie draw the line south of Earltown).

That said saying Truro should be a city is like saying New Minas should be a town. Both places are past the point this should of occurred but the local opposition makes the decision too controversial for the provincial government to feel comfortable enacting. Really by now Truro should have a RM Charter like Cape Breton and Halifax. They should also be required to have a public transit system.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:32 PM

What communities does the Truro CA encompass?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces