HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 7:45 PM

I know we're just being realistic, but still it's rather sad that no one is considering the possibility of 2 Atlantic Canada CFL teams coming out of this. I know there's a better chance of the Leafs winning Lord Stanley's cup than that happening, but still, it would be great if it could happen.

And then the Halifax/Moncton rivalry could be played out on the grid iron.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 1:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

If you go back 14-15 pages in this thread, there was a lot of chatter about the possibility of two Maritime franchises. This is actually my dream scenario, and yes, I do believe that there is enough dissimilarity and geographic separation between the Moncton and Halifax markets that this could work.

The main problem would be convincing the CFL brass about this. A major problem would be getting the other team owners to go along. The more teams that there are in the league, the more that the TV revenues would have to be shared. This would not be too popular with the other owners.

Still, my dream CFL would have 16 teams, including two Maritime franchises.

The Halifax/Moncton rivalry would be huge!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 1:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Editorial from today's T&T

Moncton's CFL goal attainable
Published Wednesday February 9th, 2011

The official Canadian Football League (CFL) announcement has not been made yet, but Moncton City Council let the Hamilton Tiger Cats out of the bag Monday when it voted to approve $150,000 to contribute to hosting a regular season game again this September at the Stade Moncton Stadium.

Given the sellout crowd of Touchdown Atlantic last September, including for a whole range of off-field activities and entertainment in the days leading up to the game, city council is making all the right moves, building upon last year's success: it is continuing to cement its ties with the CFL (team owners, executives, and players), while also positioning our city as the best place to locate a permanent CFL franchise in the Maritimes. With the regular season games this year between the Tiger Cats and Calgary Stampeders, the city is also encouraging and fostering growth in public interest, groundwork that will pay off when the time is right to establish a franchise.

Moncton's central location allows it to draw fans from the entire region by minimizing travel time for all and thus maximizing attendance potential. And the city has proven ability and expertise at organizing large events and doing so with class by going the extra mile to ensure visitors' needs are met as well as involving the whole community.

These things invariably result in visitors leaving with high praise and wanting to return, as virtually all the players, managers, coaches and CFL leadership did after last year's game. As well, organizers ensure that amid all the fun, the community benefits too, including visits by the pros to local area schools to
inspire and give tips to youngsters.

There is a poignancy, perhaps, in the fact the 'home team' this year will be the Tiger Cats who have just gone through difficult negotiations to secure upgrades to their own stadium, at one point suggesting they might have to relocate. Some suggested Moncton would be ideal, but the team's roots are in southern Ontario. We're happy the Tiger Cats resolved their issues and will continue in Hamilton.

Yet all that does remind us that Moncton can be home to a CFL franchise. The city wants one and it would provide a significant entertainment option for Maritimers that at present exists but once a year. Moncton, however, is taking all the right steps at making the dream a reality and it is gaining the valuable experience that will make Moncton the obvious choice when the opportunity arises. As Touchdown Atlantic indicates, it is not an impossible dream.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:04 PM

Cfl

You guys in Moncton are living in a dream world...there will NEVER be a CFL franchise in Moncton....the market is far far too small.....as to the Moncton/Halifax rivalry...get real....most people in Halifax don't ever know where Moncton is.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
as to the Moncton/Halifax rivalry...get real....most people in Halifax don't ever know where Moncton is.
If you ever looked at the "Halifax Stadium" thread, you'd understand the true depths of paranoia that exist in Halifax about those "uppity" Monctonians!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 4:18 PM
Honored Member

Good luck to Moncton and their big dreams. However, Halifax has awakened and is now talking seriously about a stadium. One of these cities should get a team but I tend to be biased towards Halifax.

PS: MonctonRad did you write the editorial in the T&T (just curious since I didn't see an author).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sorry Fenwick, I didn't write it (it was the lead editorial in the paper).

BTW, you can chew on the lead editorial in today's T&T:

Moncton aims to go faster, higher, farther
Published Friday February 11th, 2011

The modern Olympic Games motto, translated from Latin is 'faster, higher, stronger,' and that can easily be applied to the City of Moncton directly or slightly modified as above: when it comes to hosting major events, Moncton has long put out no-holds-barred efforts and come up with the gold.

The annual Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame gala dinner and induction ceremony to be held April 16 in Moncton is no exception. The event has all the hallmarks of Moncton's approach to large events: treat the visitors and dignitaries in a first class manner, ensure necessary amenities are available (with meeting space already booked on the relevant dates, Moncton will provide its own boardrooms at City Hall for the Olympic officials, for example), involve the entire community by creating interest via special events and a festival atmosphere, provide guests a chance to interact with our young people and others in the community who will be inspired, and over all providing unparalleled hospitality and taking care of the little details.

It's a winning formula and one Moncton is improving upon with each new event. And the Olympic Hall of Fame induction will prove to be exciting and inspiring for many Maritimers. We expect the athletes will be bowled over by the positive, warm reception they receive from the public.

The Hall of Fame event itself is notable for demonstrating the value of Moncton's approach to special events. What first brought our city to the Canadian Olympic Committee's attention as a good place to hold its event was the Olympic Torch Relay reception held in our unfinished stadium before the Vancouver Winter Olympics. On a cold winter's night, 12,000 people showed up. Then the committee's CEO and Secretary-General Jean Dupré visited Moncton during last summer's IAAF World Junior Track Championships (a pre-Olympic qualifying event) and was suitably impressed.

Every event, as Moncton Economic Development, Tourism and Culture General Manager Ian Fowler notes, builds our reputation for success and draws the attention of other groups looking for a good place to hold their own events. It is momentum and about going faster, higher and farther, as strongly as we can. And the fact that such events also bring in powerful people who may also wish to explore other business opportunities is icing on the events cake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note - And meanwhile, Halifax continues to scramble to play catch-up.......

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 9:19 PM
You talkin' to me?

Somehow I get the impression that people in Moncton would be a lot more bummed if the CFL team went to Halifax than how Halifax would feel if it were the other way around. It just seems like a bigger deal in the public view there. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Halifax builds a stadium which I have no doubt will be far superior to the one in Moncton.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 9:39 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Good luck to Moncton and their big dreams. However, Halifax has awakened and is now talking seriously about a stadium. One of these cities should get a team but I tend to be biased towards Halifax.

PS: MonctonRad did you write the editorial in the T&T (just curious since I didn't see an author).
I agree Fenwick. I think that Moncton landing the Touch Down game last year was the kick in the Butt that Halifax needed to get serious about the stadium. When the stadium is built it will be bigger than the one in Moncton. It would take a dummy to build one of the same size or smaller. Halifax has it's eye not only on the CFL team but also the FIFA women's championship. A 10,000 seat Stadium just isn't going to cut it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:07 PM
Nashwaaksissy

I can say that as an NBer, seeing Moncton do all the dirty work so far, if it ends up that Halifax gets the only team, I will NOT be supporting it.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 12:59 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
I can say that as an NBer, seeing Moncton do all the dirty work so far, if it ends up that Halifax gets the only team, I will NOT be supporting it.
Someone in the Halifax forum had said the same thing about if Moncton got the team. While I don't totally disagree with the statement I think it's a bit much. I for one would not Cheer on a Moncton team but would drive to Moncton to see a game or two.
Halifax started the ball rolling with the very first touch-down Atlantic. Had it not been for the folding Ottawa team and loosing Touchdown 2 we would probably be on our way to having a real team by now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 2:54 AM

Quote:
neither will Halifax

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 2:26 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Still, my dream CFL would have 16 teams, including two Maritime franchises.

The Halifax/Moncton rivalry would be huge!
That should be the goal. If Manitoba and Saskatchewan can do it, so can Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

CFL in 2040

East
Hamilton
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Quebec City
Moncton
Halifax
?

West

Winnipeg
BC
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Victoria
Okanagan
?

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I personally don't support the idea of boycotts and I know that if Halifax ultimately wins this fight, that I would make the trip down there a couple of times a year to catch a game.

I would however be "definitely bummed out" by this turn of events and my support of a Halifax based team would certainly not be guaranteed. Let's just say that if the game were between the Halifax Harbour Pooper-Scoopers and the Calgary Stampeders, that I would likely be inclined to cheer for the Stamps......

Distance to Halifax is an issue however for many Maritimers (such as you kirjtc2) and can have an impact on any decisions to go to a game. Moncton is close enough that a daytrip to catch a game is an option. Fredericton, Saint John, Charlottetown and Sydney however are all four hours (or more) from the great metropolis and to catch a game would generally mean a hotel stay. This means that the decision to go to a game would not be a casual one and would require some planning and forethought and therefore the game becomes an "event". Most Maritimers thus would think twice about the long trip to Halifax. Maritime support for a Halifax based team cannot be guaranteed......

If Halifax really wants to have a CFL team that can be considered the Maritimes team then it will really have to be marketed as such. This means getting out into the regions and actually visiting the colonies; having the players visit high schools in Woodstock, Summerside or Mabou, holding team practices in Charlottetown or perhaps some exhibition or regular season games in Saint John or Moncton. Would a Halifax based team be willing to do this? I'm not so sure.......

Unless marketed appropriately, the greater Maritime region will always view a Halifax CFL franchise as a Halifax-only team, and as such, yet further evidence of Halifax-centrism and paternalism. We get this attitude all the time in the media. The greatest current example is the huge amount of boosterism on CTV regarding the Canada Games in Halifax. Excuse me, but the Canada Games are frequently held in the region (most recently in Charlottetown and Bathurst) and in those cases, there was nary a peep in the Halifax based media about the success of those events.

There is more to the Maritimes than just Halifax! Half the region's population doesn't even live in your province for cripes sake.....

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:23 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Let's not dump on their birthright, MonctonRad...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
get real....most people in Halifax don't ever know where Moncton is.

This nearly made me spit my coffee on the screen.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I personally don't support the idea of boycotts and I know that if Halifax ultimately wins this fight, that I would make the trip down there a couple of times a year to catch a game.

I would however be "definitely bummed out" by this turn of events and my support of a Halifax based team would certainly not be guaranteed. Let's just say that if the game were between the Halifax Harbour Pooper-Scoopers and the Calgary Stampeders, that I would likely be inclined to cheer for the Stamps......

Distance to Halifax is an issue however for many Maritimers (such as you kirjtc2) and can have an impact on any decisions to go to a game. Moncton is close enough that a daytrip to catch a game is an option. Fredericton, Saint John, Charlottetown and Sydney however are all four hours (or more) from the great metropolis and to catch a game would generally mean a hotel stay. This means that the decision to go to a game would not be a casual one and would require some planning and forethought and therefore the game becomes an "event". Most Maritimers thus would think twice about the long trip to Halifax. Maritime support for a Halifax based team cannot be guaranteed......

If Halifax really wants to have a CFL team that can be considered the Maritimes team then it will really have to be marketed as such. This means getting out into the regions and actually visiting the colonies; having the players visit high schools in Woodstock, Summerside or Mabou, holding team practices in Charlottetown or perhaps some exhibition or regular season games in Saint John or Moncton. Would a Halifax based team be willing to do this? I'm not so sure.......

Unless marketed appropriately, the greater Maritime region will always view a Halifax CFL franchise as a Halifax-only team, and as such, yet further evidence of Halifax-centrism and paternalism. We get this attitude all the time in the media. The greatest current example is the huge amount of boosterism on CTV regarding the Canada Games in Halifax. Excuse me, but the Canada Games are frequently held in the region (most recently in Charlottetown and Bathurst) and in those cases, there was nary a peep in the Halifax based media about the success of those events.

There is more to the Maritimes than just Halifax! Half the region's population doesn't even live in your province for cripes sake.....
Actually more than half the population of the maritimes does live in NS 944,000 to NB and PEI combined at 892,000....just saying.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:46 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Actually more than half the population of the maritimes does live in NS 944,000 to NB and PEI combined at 892,000....just saying.
Yeah, and not to mention the sour grapes coming out..

MonctonRad,

The big difference in your statement about a regional team is that Moncton would require regional support for the team to survive, where as in Halifax I believe the immediate population is enough to support it alone.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I don't think you should add in the Cape Bretoners in your equation......They don't really consider themselves Nova Scotians anyway.

Just ask General John Cabot Trail!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
The big difference in your statement about a regional team is that Moncton would require regional support for the team to survive, where as in Halifax I believe the immediate population is enough to support it alone.
Moncton (Maritime) Express - the Maritimes team
Halifax Privateers - the Halifax team for Halifax

'nuff said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces