HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Let me guess, you must be an Argos fan.

Given the fact that Moncton may pick up 2-3 Ti-Cat games in 2013, I think my current loyalties will be towards Hamilton.

And on a more local note, the BMHS Highlanders (my son's team) defeated Riverview High Royals 34-0 tonight at Rocky Stone Field in front of about 1,500 spectators. The game was televised locally on Rogers TV. A beautiful evening game played under the lights, with lots of good food from the canteen. The gametime temperature was a balmy 13 degrees and a good time was had by all (unless you were a Riverview fan).

Playoffs begin next weekend and BMHS will be facing Moncton High in the quarter finals....

GO HIGHLANDERS!!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 3:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not much to do with the CFL on this post either but;

my son's team won the provincial high school football championship this evening at Rocky Stone Field in Moncton.

The BMHS Highlanders (from Moncton) came back from a 13-0 deficit at the end of the third quarter to defeat the Tantramar High School Titans (from Sackville) by a final score 0f 14-13.

Needless to say, my son is truly thrilled!

Sitting in the stands, I pondered the significance of it all. The field was packed and it was standing room only with over 4,000 spectators in attendance. The excitement in the air was palpable, especially during the fourth quarter. The crowd was really into the game, and quite knowledgeable too - just as much as the crowd at a Q league hockey game. In the fourth quarter, the game announcer mentioned an out-of-town score. The Acadia Axemen had defeated the Saint Mary's Huskies and would be appearing at the Uteck Bowl in Moncton in one week's time. The crowd literally roared it's approval. The atmosphere was great....

One of my other sons played high school hockey and (for a while) Junior B hockey. I am also a Moncton Wildcats seasons ticket holder. Despite this, I am beginning to wonder which sport is truly king in Moncton anymore.

All six high schools in Moncton have well supported football teams, four of them in the 12 man division. Of the nine high schools in NB with 12 man teams, 5 of them are from the southeast corner of the province (three of the others are in Fredericton/Oromocto and one in Saint John). The Mount Allison Mounties are building support in Moncton as well as in Sackville and I think there is at least even odds that U de M will develop a football program in the next few years. The Moncton Mustangs play in the Maritime Football League and have won the championship four times in the last seven years. We have successfully hosted two regular season CFL games in the last two years, averaging over 20,000 each game in attendance.

Sure we have the Wildcats, Commandos and Aigles Bleues for hockey, but I think that metro Monctonians have become just as passionate about football over the last couple of decades as they have about hockey.

It is now a debatable point about whether hockey or football is king in greater Moncton.

One final note - I was at both Wildcats games on the weekend, and there were more people at this high school game than at either of the two Wildcats games....

food for thought.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 6:13 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

East Final on TSN now. As MonctonRad easily figured, I am an Argo's fan. Let's go Winnipeg!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 9:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Since the Ti-Cats were easliy handled by the Blue Bombers in the east final, I guess I will have to root for Winnipeg in the Grey Cup too.

I missed the game because I was at the Moncton Miracles home opener....

This has been quite a weekend. Two Wildcats games, the Uteck Bowl and the Miracles home opener. I think I need a break from sports for a while!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 4:05 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Much of the same on the west coast. BC did well over EE. It should be a very exciting game next Sunday. I am rooting for Winnipeg but also fearful that BC might win. It will be an indoor game so weather or wind will not provide any advantages.

Last edited by Jstaleness; Nov 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:00 PM

My pick is BC but it should be a pretty good game

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 7:15 PM

I am picking BC as well. Hoping the game stays close and exciting though as I am off that weekend and will be watching.

For the record I'm also an Argos fan, have been ever since I can first remember watching the CFL at a young age. I travelled to Moncton to watch them play Edmonton last year, even though they played terrible I had a great time. This year I once again made it to Moncton to watch the Stamps and Cats play and was cheering for the Stamps to take out our natural rival but it didn't happen. Also made it to my first CFL game in Toronto this summer to watch the Argos lose to the Alouettes. Hoping to somehow manage to get to the Grey Cup next year in Toronto but that may be hard to pull off.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 9:00 PM

Whoops, meant to put this in this thread:

Interesting...

From: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...fl-league.html

Quote:
Report puts Moncton ahead of Halifax for CFL team

Conference Board of Canada has Moncton edging out Halifax for a Canadian Football League franchise in an assessment of potential future markets released Tuesday.

It contends six cities have the necessary economic market conditions to make CFL teams viable — Moncton, Halifax, Ottawa, London, Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, and Quebec City.

The CFL, currently an eight-team operation, already plans to expand by adding a franchise in Ottawa over the next couple of years.

The Conference Board believes Quebec City would be next in line, based on its population, income and corporate headquarters.

But Quebec is focusing on getting a National Hockey League team. It is therefore less likely that resources can be directed toward the goal of obtaining a CFL franchise, at least over the next few years, according to the report, called "Playing in the Big Leagues: Briefing 11 – Fantasy Football! How many Teams Could there Be in the Canadian Football League?"

Neither Moncton nor Halifax have the population base required to ensure long-term viability of a franchise at about 125,000 and 400,000 respectively, according to the board.

'With its central location, a team based in Moncton could benefit from the support of the entire province of New Brunswick and much of the rest of Atlantic Canada.'

"If a franchise does come to the Maritimes, its owners will have to work hard to market the team as a regional franchise—one that can attract fans from the neighbouring provinces as well, and do so on an ongoing basis," the report states.

But the board notes that Moncton has gained the nickname of "Hub City" because of its central location in the region.

"With its central location, a team based in Moncton could benefit from the support of the entire province of New Brunswick (with a population of more than 750,000) and much of the rest of Atlantic Canada," the report states.

Moncton also has a playing facility that is almost CFL-ready, Moncton Stadium, located at the University of Moncton campus, which has hosted CFL regular season games the past two years.

"For these reasons, the Conference Board sees Moncton as having an edge in obtaining a CFL franchise for Atlantic Canada," the report states.

Meanwhile, although the board's analysis suggests London has more in its favour than Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, it says both cities are within a couple of hours' drive of two existing CFL teams in Hamilton and Toronto, as well as two National Football League teams in Buffalo and Detroit.

As a result, another CFL franchise in Southern Ontario is unlikely because it could take the area beyond its "football saturation point," it states.

According to the board, a professional sports franchise can be successful over the long run in a specific market if four market conditions are met:

A large enough and growing population
A relatively wealthy market
A sound corporate presence
A level playing field

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 9:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I would never argue with the Conference Board of Canada!!!

Yet another sound piece of research clearly demonstrating the logic of locating a CFL franchise in the Hub City!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 9:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's the briefing: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/report...iefing-11.aspx

It's a soft and inconsistent piece. They don't provide much justification for any of their findings, and actually in the conclusion they state that Halifax could get a team within a 10-20 year timeframe.

To present a clear argument they'd have to establish that the supposed difference in regional hinterland outweighs the difference in local population. Instead they just say that Moncton is the "Hub City" so it can attract 750,000 people in NB. They implicitly assume that people are going to travel 5 hours each way from Edmundston, for example. They don't even mention people from around the Maritimes travelling to Halifax.

I also said they're inconsistent because they talk about how crucial wealth and population growth are in the intro but then ignore it for Halifax and Moncton. The rural hinterland that will supposedly prop up a Moncton team is relatively poor and shrinking. It's not hard to imagine the entire NB market having less disposable income than Halifax in 20 years. In 20 years we could easily see a situation where 25-30% of the population of the Maritimes lives in the Halifax area (maybe 40%+ within a 1 hour drive). Halifax is already sitting at over 20%. Moncton is about 7% of the region.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 10:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Although I WANT a team in Halifax, a team ANYWHERE in the Maritimes would make me happy at this point. It has to start somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Although I WANT a team in Halifax, a team ANYWHERE in the Maritimes would make me happy at this point. It has to start somewhere.
I think a majority of Haligonians would disagree. Now I may be bias having lived in Halifax for the majority of my life (Currently living in Moncton however) but iv gotta say all this touting that Moncton is a superior candidate for a CFL franchise too Halifax is complete bullocks. It makes me laugh thinking people are even saying Moncton makes more sense than Halifax, a city four times the size, with a larger base and one which is headed for a economic and population boom, not to mention a stadium.

All this Moncton talk just feels like a little chiwawa snipping at a German Shepard ankles, its only a matter of time before the Shepard turns around and bites back.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 12:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Please, not a chihuahua.... Perhaps a poodle. They can be pretty yappy too

BTW Halifax is only three times the size of Moncton (403,000 vs 137,500).

Actually, come to think of it, if you do the math, Halifax is only 2.93x the size of Moncton.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 26, 2011 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Actually, come to think of it, if you do the math, Halifax is only 2.93x the size of Moncton.
You have to look at the future too. Halifax's population boom forecasts could put us in the 600,000-700,000 range in 20-25 years. Moncton won't even make it to Regina's current population of 200,000 by then.

Then it will be more like an English Mastiff and a chipmunk.

My money is on a NHL team coming to Halifax in the thirties (2030's).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
You have to look at the future too. Halifax's population boom forecasts could put us in the 600,000-700,000 range in 20-25 years. Moncton won't even make it to Regina's current population of 200,000 by then.

Then it will be more like an English Mastiff and a chipmunk.

My money is on a NHL team coming to Halifax in the thirties (2030's).
600,000 vs 200,000 would still be the same relative ratio (3:1)

We would still be a poodle!

And, Regina does have a CFL team!

BTW - I'll let you guys have the NHL team. i would be more than happy with the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 1:35 PM

Quote:
600,000 vs 200,000 would still be the same relative ratio (3:1)

We would still be a poodle!

And, Regina does have a CFL team!

BTW - I'll let you guys have the NHL team. i would be more than happy with the CFL.
700,000 vs 175,000 is possible too, and that would be 4:1 .

If we get an NHL team I could care less about the CFL at that point (although both would be great). I'm pretty sure the folks in Ottawa are much happier to have the Senators than the Renegades.

It would be great if Halifax could get an NHL team before Crosby retires.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 2:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
In my opinion, that would be a good strategy. Season tickets for the NHL are about $2,000+ per season whereas CFL season tickets are about $400+ per season.

I think that Halifax having a NHL team in the 2030's, as q12 suggested, is realistic. Hopefully Halifax will have had a CFL team for 15 - 20 years by then and they will continue to support the CFL team also.

But I wish we could stop dreaming about these things and see someone with the means to actually start doing them. It would be good to see Halifax return to its glory years (the 1800's). However, if it becomes evident that Halifax will not build a stadium anytime in the near future then I hope that Moncton will build a proper stadium and get a CFL team (you need at least 20,000 seats along the sidelines plus at least 5,000 on top of that).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 8:02 PM
Salty Town

Quote:

If 40,000 Monctonions move to Halifax in the next 10 years looking for employment opportunities then you have HFX 443,000 Moncton 97,500 or
Hfx 4.5x larger then Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 8:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to Enterprise Greater Moncton, there have been 8,500 new jobs created in the Moncton CMA in the last five years and they look forward to another 8-10,000 new jobs in greater Moncton in the next five years so, I don't think your premise is going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:07 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
I'd rather that Halifax got a CFL team than an NHL team. Pro football's the big prize for me. Halifax already has that QMJHL team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces