HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 8:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
If you want to call Halifax tiny, then Moncton is a minuscule speck...
C'mon now... I don't appreciate that.

The Maritimes, compared to other regions of the WORLD, could be considered just a speck. Hell: Canada is a speck in terms of population.

Moncton is a significant part of our economy.

(I just wish it would urbanise sustainably so it could remain as such.)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 8:57 PM

If Halifax and Nova Scotia actually foot the bill for a CFL ready stadium (24,000+ permanent seats) in Halifax, shouldn't they reap the financial benefits?

This is part of the problem of a regional team. We are not financially regional because we are separate provinces. If the Maritimes were one province this wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
If only Halifax gets a team out here, I would be enjoying seeing the demise of the team from day 1.
This kind of attitude is another thing that makes me think the "regional team" model might not be the best approach.

As far as I understood, having 2 Atlantic teams was never on the CFL's radar, and for the record the first Touchdown Atlantic was actually in Halifax.

I also don't get the impression that a team in Halifax is a done deal by any means; there's just some buzz around the idea because the new mayor and all three major provincial party leaders have been floating the idea of a CFL-standard stadium again.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Is it acceptable for Halifax to consider the possibility that, even after it solely invests in a stadium, the population of the HRM and surrounding region won't be enough fuel to fill all of those seats for every game?

Of course I want Halifax to financially benefit. Halifax will only benefit though, if the team can be supported by enough ticketholders. This may be where Moncton comes into play.

If Halifax can go it alone, then so be it...and good for it!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
If you want to call Halifax tiny, then Moncton is a minuscule speck...
I believe he was doing both of those things.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Is it acceptable for Halifax to consider the possibility that, even after it solely invests in a stadium, the population of the HRM and surrounding region won't be enough fuel to fill all of those seats for every game?

Of course I want Halifax to financially benefit. Halifax will only benefit though, if the team can be supported by enough ticketholders. This may be where Moncton comes into play.

If Halifax can go it alone, then so be it...and good for it!
If the team played, lets say, 3 games per season at UdeM though (which the CFL may or may not be ok with), do you think many Monctonians would buy season tickets if they had to travel to Halifax for the rest of the games? I also think the number who did would probably not offset the number of Haligonians who would NOT buy season tickets if they had to travel to Moncton for three home games (or miss those games). Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see having multiple regular season games in a second city with a non-standard stadium working very well.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It would behoove the owners of any Halifax CFL team to try to curry the favour of CFL fans in the rest of the Maritimes. We might not make up very many of the fans in the stadium seats, but we certainly could contribute to regional TV viewership, and I'm sure the CFL would be very interested in capturing that demographic. This would allow them to negotiate an even better deal with TSN the next time round.

To that end, Halifax can't be too greedy with the team. An annual game in Moncton would be a good start. Note that I said one game - I fully realize how expensive a new stadium for Halifax would be. There are only nine home games in a season, so it would be unreasonable to expect more than one game per season in Moncton.

In addition, I still contend that it would be excellent PR for a Halifax based team to maintain relationships throughout the region with training camps and special appearances in all three provinces.

Commissioner Cohon wants a regional team. Halifax needs to be cognizant of the desire of the league to promote fan interest and viewership throughout the region. Halifax has to do this right, or else Joe the Ti-Cats fan in Freddy might still maintain his former loyalties and turn his nose up as far as the Schooners are concerned.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Sep 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 2:41 AM

Ok, i'm gonna retract the comment I said about the "demise of the team in Halifax" I was just getting boiled up about this topic, I apologize to any Halifax viewer! I'm sure Haligonians would be thrilled to have a team there.

I know no one would consider the idea of have the team say "ATLANTIC SCHOONERS" or a name similar to that which would incorporate the entire region. I would propose the team be played in Moncton and Halifax every other month and if playoffs where to happen within our area, the city which had the greater audience throughout the year would be awarded the post season. The schedule is made well in advance and it should be easy to schedule the games accordingly. To me, that makes sense...I know i'll be grilled about this but, lets be fair! why do you need such large stadiums right away...if this will be an expansion, let the expansions expand themselves. Then amalgamate down the road. I just don't like how the commissioner of the CFL just abruptly said no to Moncton and will wait for Halifax. Ah well!! like I said, I was never a true follower of the CFL until I moved here from London in 2009 and I thought it was quite cool for the CFL to make its appearance here. I've dropped down a few cogs in my interest in CFL.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
If the team played, lets say, 3 games per season at UdeM though (which the CFL may or may not be ok with), do you think many Monctonians would buy season tickets if they had to travel to Halifax for the rest of the games? I also think the number who did would probably not offset the number of Haligonians who would NOT buy season tickets if they had to travel to Moncton for three home games (or miss those games). Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see having multiple regular season games in a second city with a non-standard stadium working very well.
I don't think you're wrong. I agree with your train of thought. Too much displacement out of Halifax could end up hurting the team's fan base.

Is one game in Moncton, per season, workable?
I don't expect major ticketholders outside of Halifax.

None of us have the answers, I suppose. We'll find out the context we're dealing with if and when a team gets established.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 11:27 PM

Possible stadium situation in Atlantic

I was brain storming this concept of Moncton stadium being improved and Halifax building a stadium similar to BC's temporarily stadium Empire field.Cost for that stadium was good at 15 miilion I believe.I originally thought it would work for Toronto as opposed to BMO.I think You could play 8 games at Halifax stadium then 2 in Moncton to create the regional team.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, with Mark Cohon stepping down as CFL Commissioner next year, I wonder what this means for the prospects of CFL expansion to the Maritimes?

The new commissioner might have different priorities, such as stabilizing the Toronto Argonauts franchise (which is in free fall as far as attendance is concerned). Also, will the existing franchisees be keen to share TV revenues with another mouth to feed here in the Maritimes.

The dream of a Maritime franchise may just have taken a step backwards…….

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:25 PM

Hi All,

Check out these new Navy Football uniforms. I love this scheme for a "maritime" team. Very fresh and clean.

Under Armour Releases Navy Football Uniform for Ohio State Game

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, with Mark Cohon stepping down as CFL Commissioner next year, I wonder what this means for the prospects of CFL expansion to the Maritimes?

The new commissioner might have different priorities, such as stabilizing the Toronto Argonauts franchise (which is in free fall as far as attendance is concerned). Also, will the existing franchisees be keen to share TV revenues with another mouth to feed here in the Maritimes.

The dream of a Maritime franchise may just have taken a step backwards…….
You know, anything is possible and the end of the CFL in Toronto (though we are certainly far from that yet) could be a blessing in disguise for the league and a maritime team.

If the NFL goes to Toronto the Argos are done regardless, but they are by far the weakest organization in the league. The west teams have a huge following and with Toronto out of the way and no longer making a mockery of the league, the perception overall of the CFL may improve. Ottawa and Montreal seem to have great support. If the league could get teams into the maritimes and maybe Quebec City, interest from the entirety of eastern Canada could grow. Move the Argos, if the NFL doesn't come and city wants to get back into the CFL than maybe bring back a new team. Montreal seemed to turn around after they lost the Als that time.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
You know, anything is possible and the end of the CFL in Toronto (though we are certainly far from that yet) could be a blessing in disguise for the league and a maritime team.

If the NFL goes to Toronto the Argos are done regardless, but they are by far the weakest organization in the league..
Honestly if Toronto becomes a football city, I don't think this would be a problem. With so few local games the argos, might actually get a boost.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 1:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This was posted in the Halifax Stadium thread today.

To be blunt, the dream of a Maritime team may have taken a step backwards. Cohon now considers it a "long term goal" with a time frame in excess of ten years.

In essence, Moncton is off the CFL radar (too small). There are no active ongoing discussions regarding a team based in Moncton. Meanwhile, Halifax still has no firm plans for a stadium. There are lots of competing priorities in HRM (concert hall, Cogswell interchange redevelopment, regional transit) and a stadium probably does not top the list. Also, no private partners in Halifax have come forward with a serious plan to finance or own a team.

The CFL also has other priorities, most notably stabilizing the Toronto Argonauts franchise. The Argonauts are a linchpin team for the league. The CFL has to find some way to get them a football specific stadium and to increase the teams popularity.

I'm afraid the dream of a Maritime CFL team may be dead, and probably for far longer than just 10 years.........

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 1:31 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm afraid the dream of a Maritime CFL team may be dead, and probably for far longer than just 10 years.........
Which isn't really all that surprising. If it's going to be a Maritime team we're all going to have to get together on this, not squabble and fight amongst ourselves as typically is the case in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 12:52 PM

I'm certain you guys are correct on all counts.
Too bad. This is a great family sport, a great product, with relatively inexpensive season tickets.
I, too, believe we are just too small to support a team now and/or any time soon, and for sure intra-regional pettiness would rear its ugly head should one city or the other get a team.
It's just how we are.
Oh well, happy Grey Cup everyone. The good part of watching it on TV is that I don't need a designated driver!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 3:46 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
This was posted in the Halifax Stadium thread today.

To be blunt, the dream of a Maritime team may have taken a step backwards. Cohon now considers it a "long term goal" with a time frame in excess of ten years.

In essence, Moncton is off the CFL radar (too small). There are no active ongoing discussions regarding a team based in Moncton. Meanwhile, Halifax still has no firm plans for a stadium. There are lots of competing priorities in HRM (concert hall, Cogswell interchange redevelopment, regional transit) and a stadium probably does not top the list. Also, no private partners in Halifax have come forward with a serious plan to finance or own a team.

The CFL also has other priorities, most notably stabilizing the Toronto Argonauts franchise. The Argonauts are a linchpin team for the league. The CFL has to find some way to get them a football specific stadium and to increase the teams popularity.

Agree with all of that. Moncton shot its chances with the last incarnation of Touchdown Atlantic. The CFL will look at Halifax when they revisit expansion to the Maritimes, but that seems like a distant dream right now. Perhaps it's for the best. A team is more likely to succeed in a Halifax of 500,000 than a Halifax at 400,000. 2030?

Maybe a 10th team in Quebec City should come next.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 5:47 PM

I have thought the next logical choice for CFL expansion was Quebec City for years. If you have ever seen the wild support for LAVAL U then you would think the same. If they could harness half of that support and produce a decent size stadium Roughriders 2.0 could be born. That area is hurting for pro sports and loves it's football. As much as I would love to see it happen in my Maritimes, it just does not seem in the cards.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 11:20 PM

#CFL confirms discussions have taken place regarding Halifax Expansion. ➡️ http://on.cfl.ca/cJ2b30gDfeg

https://twitter.com/CFL/status/931284343628103680

#CFL Twitter?

A little excited about Halifax expansion news ➡️ http://on.cfl.ca/dqah30gDhqT

https://twitter.com/CFL/status/931292498026254337

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces