HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 6:59 PM

Idaho Falls/Pocatello Development Thread

Just so us Easterners can have a little chat, I've decided to open this thread about known or future projects for the IF area. Such examples would be:

Taylors Crossing- 13 story Marriott, worlds largest bronze statue of its kind

Monroc- I believe it will now be called Eagles Landing, if anyone has any information that they can share about site plans, ect., please share.

Plans for the Sunnyside Interchange, ect.

I'm hoping to engage my fellow Idaho Falls fellows and out of towners, in productive chat, hopefully we can post pics as far as progress of the projects, completions, ect.

Let's have fun with this one.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Feb 12, 2014 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 7:07 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

What is the news about the INL and a new building in downtown? Is it going to be a tall building?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 7:23 PM

I haven't heard news about a downtown building, yet I have seen plans that call for a so called Center for Advanced Energy Studies. It will pair up with the University Place Campus, and the existing DOE buildings, doubling the amount of research space and office space. It will have 2 3 story buildings, and I believe the "center" will be a 5 story. The best part of this development is that plans are to integrate the greenbelt and the river with walking paths and fountains, ect.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 10:12 PM
Mr.Boisean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy
Taylors Crossing- 13 story Marriott, worlds largest bronze statue of its kind
Hm... whats all this about?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 10:54 PM

Have you ever seen the picture of the fountain in the center of Idaho Falls? They're putting "the world's largest bronze statue" on top of the fountain.

As for the INL, they WERE thinking of putting a 5 story building south of Taylor's Crossing, but I think they fell through. I hope they'll put it in Taylor's Crossing. Doubt it though. They'll probably just put it where all the other buildings are, north of downtown.

Why doesn't the INL make a 10 story building, insted of a 5 story, 3 story, and 2 story building??!?

Taylor's Crossing could be a little worrying...what if all the building turn out looking the same?

As for Sunnyside, I know a man that is one of the head honchos for Idaho's Road department. He says it will be done by September. The speed limit on the West-Side of it will be 45 miles an hour. A medical plaza is planned right by the exit. There is also a big subdivision planned west of the exit. He said Idaho Falls is planning on extending the greenbelt to the exit. Also, condo's by the greenbelt...but who would want to live across from the Drive-In?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 11:03 PM

Here is a picture.
I'll find more.

Here's the fountain.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 8:21 AM

All right, a little bit of talk, and some out of towners showing some interest. This is good!

As for the reason that INL won't build a 10 story structure, in MHO, I think they want to extend the campus north of town, in other words, keep that campus look without anything jutting out of the skyline.

And I really don't believe the Marriott will look like the other buildings in Taylors. I read an article about the developers hiring Californian architets to help them with a look for the rest of the development. If I remember correctly they would like to see a wider variety of architecture.

Finally, has anyone noticed the demolition has begun on the old Days Inn down by the Shilo Inn. I've heard there is going to be a Hilton Garden Inn, planned at four stories, although I've also heard 14 stories. But, the person who told me that was kind of loopy. They probably forgot what they were talking about.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 4:15 PM

That would be a good spot for a 14 story tower. Right next to the Red Lion and across the river from the temple.

What do you think of 17th street? I think it's a mess. It's so busy, but no room to widen.

Also, what do you think about the sprawl in Ammon?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 5:25 PM
Kiss Wolf Wolf Goodnight

"What do you think of 17th street? I think it's a mess. It's so busy, but no room to widen."

Why is it a mess?

help me out and improve my city
http://commerce-city.myminicity.com

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 7:13 PM

I try to avoid driving 17th. I use Sunnyside if I have to be over on the southside. It's kind of funny, there is a new 5 lane road with very few stoplights and still, everyone and there dog still drives on 17th. But, that is why there is all that retail growth, because there is so much traffic. I do know for a fact that west of Holmes the street front is all planned transition zoning. If the city or a developer bought those homes, that stretch could easily be widened. Hopefully when the Sunnyside project is finally completed, it should help easy the congestion on 17th.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 9:31 PM

What were they thinking when they put those houses there? They also need to widen Hitt by 1st street. It is impossible to turn west on that street.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 4:40 PM

My understanding is that the city is going to install a new traffic light and add needed turn lanes at that intersection this year. I wish that they would finish off widening hitt rd. from Walmart to Lincoln rd. That is one of the most bottlenecked roads I have ever driven.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 4:49 PM

IFguy -
Quote:
I wish that they would finish off widening hitt rd. from Walmart to Lincoln rd. That is one of the most bottlenecked roads I have ever driven.
I agree with you, but this project will only be completed when Ammon and Idaho Falls agree who is responsible for the cost. This could go on for much longer.

Denver Bear -
Quote:
Why is it a mess?
17th street is a mess because they allowed curb cuts for every business and sometimes multiple curb cuts. No exaggeration, there must be 7-8 per city block, per side of the road. The on/off traffic is slow and congestive. Also at each major intersection there is not a seperate lane for right hand turns.

Sunnyside the next major east/west crossroad south did the exact opposite and closed many existing curb cuts and fought it out on a few that they lost to the business owner. Business are only accessible from north/south bound streets that intersect Sunnyside. So it has become an expressway type street with limited on/off traffic.

IFguy -
Quote:
I've heard there is going to be a Hilton Garden Inn, planned at four stories, although I've also heard 14 stories.
Recently I spoke with the lawyer of the development group building the Hilton Garden Inn. He stated they are using the exact plans, (same # of floors, same # of rooms) from the Hilton Garden that the same development group produced in St. George. He made it sound like they were cookie-cutting. You can google Hilton Garden St. George and it will show you a pic of their 5-story earth toned building.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 5:21 PM

If anyone has heard the status of the Valencia Villa project, what is the holdup? From what I had read, the developers were supposed to break ground in May. I hope this project comes to fruition, it is going to be a nice addition to the conglomerate of hospitals and medical offices just off of Channing Way. If you would like pics and project description go to villa2929.com for more.

Also I have come across limited details of an (office park), or retail center, not sure which it was, south of the Walmart on Utah Ave., that will be going before the city council for approval soon. Just wondering if anyone has the scoop on that huge vacant eyesore and its plans. Hopefully the Pancheri overpass will be rebuilt soon, 2007 I believe, that whole area will be turning out rather nicely once these projects are complete.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 8:24 PM

Oh I saw that sign...I dunno..what is the hold up?

Those look nice. I like the design of them. I think those would be awesome in Taylor's Crossing. Except maybe 5-8 stories.

Also...have you seen the Wal-Greens going up in Ammon by K-Mart? I really don't like Wal-Greens that much. Oh well, I guess it's better than cookie-cutter houses in that area. BUT Craigo's opened up last week. I highly recommend it for pizza lovers.

I really wish growth would shift to the west-side insted of in the east-side. Maybe they want to keep the small town feel the west side has...???

Last edited by IFtowner; Jul 24, 2006 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
And I really don't believe the Marriott will look like the other buildings in Taylors. I read an article about the developers hiring Californian architets to help them with a look for the rest of the development. If I remember correctly they would like to see a wider variety of architecture.
I think you might be surprised with how well it mixes with the existing architecture. When I first saw the rendering I was taken back. But the more I look at the roof line the architects had to have been influenced by the existing buildings, it will fit right in...and it looks HAWT!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 6:45 AM

Let's hope for the sake of the area, the rest of the warehouses, and industrial type businesses take off soon, I would really like to see Taylors Crossing without looking at them. Just imagine what it will look like.

As far as the westside not growing, I believe that side of town will explode, and we should begin to see things happening here, oh, I want to say around Octoberish, maybe earlier.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 6:46 AM

By the way, is there any chance you could show us the renderings or at least a rough scetch of the Marriott?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 6:49 AM

Do you have any "inside" news either of you?

You sure sound like it by the way you talk about the westside.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 7:00 AM

I don't personally know anyone that knows anything, but, look at the monroc develpment next time you drive by, it's big. And the Sunnyside interchange is going to explode with new subdivisions, a hospital, and retail already planned. With these two projects plus Taylors and their 13 story building, I believe that it will draw more attention to that side. Don't forget Olive Garden and the new Hilton Hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West