HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:50 PM

I have been sitting on this rendering for almost a month. The original plan was to release the drawing one month after the Post Register article, which would be in less than a week. Then they changed it to "Taylor Days" which is going to be on August 26th. They have since adjusted that and plan a press release for August 15th.

I don't feel comfortable posting it on the net where it is not my baby. I have been checking the architect's site hoping he would post it early. No such luck yet.

As for Ball Ventures, and their land between Pancheri and Sunnyside on the west side of the river. The plan is to put the main road (word is it won't be called Lindsay Blvd) in this fall, weather permitting. This will be the main road that connects Sunnyside and Pancheri. That is going to be kind of funny looking because of the length and really no development on either side for miles. As far as any serious development it sounds like they are a year out, they are really focusing on getting rid of "lil' Baghdad" and putting the 5-story Hilton Garden up.

Last edited by eastidaho; Jul 25, 2006 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:06 PM

Just a quick question; if the IF city council decides to include downtown as part of the redevelopment area, what kind of growth or redevelopment will take place down there? Personally, I would like to see the northern side redeveloped. From the midget market, Deseret Industries, all the way down to just north of Capital would be a good starting point. What do you think?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Personally, I would like to see the northern side redeveloped. From the midget market, Deseret Industries, all the way down to just north of Capital would be a good starting point. What do you think?
I agree with you, actually with those exact boundaries.

Quote:
if the IF city council decides to include downtown as part of the redevelopment area, what kind of growth or redevelopment will take place down there?
Are they considering this now?

I questioned the head of the IFDDC in April about why Taylor Crossing was an Urban Renewal District and why Historic Downtown was not. She stated that tax increment financing only works with new development because when you create such a district the assessor gives each property a base value. Then as property values rise the district is given a portion of the taxes above the base value. Essentially it was determined that Historic Downtown is stagnate valuation wise and until new development comes into the area tax increment financing would not produce any funds.

I think Historic Downtown is a chicken/egg problem. There is plenty of surface lots that could be developed, however it would require a parking structure to encourage infill development in that area. On the other hand. A parking structure is dependant on monies from tax increment financing.

I worry that Historic Downtown has a rough row to hoe as more and more business will follow others that have moved across the river into the new developments.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 6:36 AM

There was an article in the PR a few days ago about the possibility of making downtown part of the Redevelopment distcrict. I think the main reason for this is they are trying to secure funding for the Memorial Drive and Yellowstone project. I really don't believe until something new comes downtown, that the area will ever reach its potential. I would personally like to see the Bonneville Hotel remodeled into an actual hotel, fix up the outside and maybe add on to it and offer some condos. (By that I mean, if it was feasable, add a couple of stories onto it.) I know that project would fly! I also believe that would create some interest and bring more investment into downtown. If I only had that kind of money, I would do it!

I agree that a parking structure would be needed, possibly funded by the district. The only problem is where to put it and how big.

My last thought about downtown, I would like to see a few streets closed, paved with stone or brick, and opened to pedestrian only traffic. Kind of like in Denver or Boulder. Those cities have unbelievably nice downtowns, with nice shops and restaraunts, park benches and tables, plenty of trees, shrubs,flowers, ect.

Hopefully something will happen, it would be a good thing for the city and the area. Hell, who knows, maybe we would see interest in building larger, taller structures.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 6:47 AM

I thought I would ask, just in case anyone knows. What's going on behind KJ's on Sunnyside? (Corner of Sunnyside and St. Clair)

Next question, what is the deal on Riverside Plaza? I see the signs but haven't seen anything for almost a year? (On Pancheri, next to the Sonic Drive Thru)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 3:20 PM

Quote:
There was an article in the PR a few days ago about the possibility of making downtown part of the Redevelopment distcrict.
Thanks for the heads up on this article. I missed it. I am curious about how the Walker brothers feel about this. From what I understand, they were instrumental in laying the political and paper groundwork for the first district, and conveniently drew lines around their development. I would expect them to not be happy that tax funds from their project would not be spent on their project, but be directed away.

Quote:
I would personally like to see the Bonneville Hotel remodeled into an actual hotel, fix up the outside and maybe add on to it and offer some condos. (By that I mean, if it was feasable, add a couple of stories onto it.) I know that project would fly!
I agree with you. I love that building and the potential of that property is huge IMO. Unfortunately, the current owner who bought the place in '98 or '99 has made the interior livable and has been very successful with occupancy. This property is his retirement. He wanted to tool around with a project and with 40 units at $250-$400 rents he is doing well because he owns the building free and clear. He picked up that property dirt cheap. He doesn't plan on parting with that building.

Quote:
What's going on behind KJ's on Sunnyside?
They removed an old rusting fuel tank yesterday. I thought it was odd that the tank was on the back of the property.

Quote:
I agree that a parking structure would be needed, possibly funded by the district. The only problem is where to put it and how big.
I would love a 4 story (one underground) right behind the Theatre on the corner of Capitol and B street with street floor retail along B street. That lot is central to everything. My opinion is there is not a short-term (2 hour or less) parking problem downtown. I think the problem is 8 hour parking for downtown employees. The businesses leaving have left not because customers can't reach the front door, and certainly not lease rates, but because of employee complaints. JMHO

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 6:43 PM

Just chiming in to say I'm glad to see Eastern Idaho getting more forumers.

I have some family that live in I.F. Will be nice to be able to keep tabs on what's going on in your part of the state.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:10 PM

Has anyone heard anymore on the ethanol refinery being built here? I believe it was going to be built by a company called Iogen. Or did that opportunity fly by because the state took a two year moratorium on new energy projects Causing the company to look elswere? This little 26 million dollar project hasn't been spoken of for a while, I was just wondering.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Has anyone heard anymore on the ethanol refinery being built here? I believe it was going to be built by a company called Iogen. Or did that opportunity fly by because the state took a two year moratorium on new energy projects Causing the company to look elswere? This little 26 million dollar project hasn't been spoken of for a while, I was just wondering.
I never even knew there was such a plan...

I would love to see an Edwards Theater Downtown. That would REALLY get downtown going. As soon as a parking garage is built.

Maybe Taylor's Crossing? Maybe by the Bonneville?

I was on 17th today, and I really wish Idaho Falls was a pedestrian paradise.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 10:56 PM

While running around town today I drove by the corner of Sunnyside and Hitt and noticed the sitework is finally begining for Kohls. I believe they intend on having it built by December.

Also while on the topic of going ons in that area, I wonder what will happen with the properties south of Sunnyside? Does anyone know anything?

I would love to see a restraunt go in on the west side of Hitt next to the canal. Imagine nice landscaping and an outdoor eating area on the bank of the Sand Creek Canal. That would be a very fine dining experience in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 4:23 PM

Quote:
If anyone has heard the status of the Valencia Villa project, what is the holdup? From what I had read, the developers were supposed to break ground in May. I hope this project comes to fruition,
I finally caught up with one of the owners. He is hoping to breakground in September. The idea is to build phase 1 this fall and build just the shell of phase 2 next summer. They are 60% pre-leased on the first phase. It seems they have other projects that are competing for their time right now and there is a chance this will be pushed into next spring, at which point they would build both phases simultaneously.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2006, 7:14 AM

Wow, so the "Villa" is 60% prelease and the Marriott is coming along nicely with preleasing. Very nice news for a couple of decent sized projects. If both buildings hit 100% lease rates before they are even built, this may bode well for future projects of this size or bigger.

I'm still interested in what will go in south of the Walmart on Utah, does anybody know anything?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:45 AM

Snake River Landing Building 'R', Ball Ventures, CLC Associates is the architect for this 46,000 sq. foot building. Done by February 2007.

I saw this while browsing through the Bateman-Hall website under upcoming projects.

Thought this was slighty interesting, any ideas or knowledge of what this may be?

I looked at the CLC website as well and they have a pretty impressive portfolio.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 8:35 PM

Last Wednesday or Thursday morning T.C. were out taking pictures of what N. S. W. E. views would look like from their 13-story project. They were using a balloon/camera contraption and continued to vary the height. They plan to use these pics on their website. The website should correlate with their big announcement on the 15th.

I know they have a very aggressive building plan. They have received approval on their site plan and told the city they will break ground next month. The plan is to have the Marriott open for Christmas 2007. I love these guys enthusiasm and know they will get this project done. But I wouldn't hold them to that timeline, as I think it is way to aggressive for what they need to get done. I do think we will be seeing crane in a few months.

Also, how do you take a .pdf rendering and post it as an image on this site?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 10:27 PM

ohhh baby this is exciting.

My sister is visiting from Atlanta, and she says Idaho Falls is really got it going on. A quote from her.

That's good to hear from someone from a huge city.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 10:27 PM

Oh yeah, she's really impressed with the windmills.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2006, 6:51 AM

A story on channel 6, a Pocatello station, mentioned how IF was in the midst of a hotel boom. The story also mentioned that there were two hotels, (Marriott, and Hilton Gardens Inn), and possibly three new hotels coming to IF.

My only guess is that we will be getting another announcement about a new hotel, as soon as, let's say, August, around the planned Taylor Days. TC is going gonzo now, and I believe that they will be planning something else big very soon.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2006, 5:42 PM

Unfortunately, T.C.'s master plan for build out only includes a lot of 4-level buildings. I wish they would go up. The positive is they will cover both sides of the river, and the pedestrian bridge midway between Pancheri and Broadway will be used by a lot of greenbelt walkers, runners, and bikers.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 7:52 PM

Well, as long as there will be an expansion on the greenbelt to Sunnyside, maybe some more developements like this will pop up.

I was driving south to Idaho Falls from Rexburg and as you get closer to Idaho Falls it seems like it's a three lane. The thing is, the lane on the very right isn't wide enough do drive in it.

Are they in the process of widening it?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 9:02 PM

If you look at the median on US 20, there is enough space to widen both north and southbound into three lanes. I believe that the amount of traffic that will use the highway in the next 3-5 years, there will be a need to widen certain stretches. As long as IF and Rexburg continue to grow like they are it is a good bet.

I was reading the PR on Wednesday, there was an article about Grow Idaho Falls, they are trying to bring a new call center here with 700 jobs that will be avaliable. With IF's track record of having good call centers, (Quest, Center Partners) there is a very fine chance this will happen. If the announcement is made it will make a huge impact, and more companies may start looking at Idaho Falls. This area is on the verge of busting out at the seams, something like this could very well jump start the newest boom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West