HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 2:44 AM

Personally I think Red Lobster is way over rated. High price for small semi quality food, at least here in Boise. The wife and I don't ever plan on going back.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 11:11 PM

Dnix0112, I honestly thought I added your name in the last comment I posted. I truely apologize for having people think it was my work, when it wasn't. I'm sorry about me not checking the post twice to make sure everything was posted.

Last edited by IFtowner; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 8:00 AM

Sunnyside interchange with I-15 to be opened to traffic today! Unless anything has changed in the last couple of weeks it is set for a ribbon cutting ceremony followed by alot of traffic.

This is by far one of the best new economic tools for IF, I must include the fiber optic installation as another.

Now we wait, probably not too long until announcements are made about new projects going up around the new interchange. I for one am very excited, now we just have to wait until summer for the "entire" project to be completed.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 8:03 AM
Mr.Boisean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy
Sunnyside interchange with I-15 to be opened to traffic today! Unless anything has changed in the last couple of weeks it is set for a ribbon cutting ceremony followed by alot of traffic.

This is by far one of the best new economic tools for IF, I must include the fiber optic installation as another.

Now we wait, probably not too long until announcements are made about new projects going up around the new interchange. I for one am very excited, now we just have to wait until summer for the "entire" project to be completed.
Thank god its going to open... that construction traffic was really starting to irritate me.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 1:59 AM
Honored Member

Cool Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boisean
Thank god its going to open... that construction traffic was really starting to irritate me.
ME TOO! Can't imagine how everyone will deal with that part of Sunnyside not yet expanded. I can't remember how long overdue this project is. Then, the city of I.F. missing the deadline for the federal dollars. Wan't Milam still in charge then?

Does anyone know if there is an estmated daily car count for Sunnyside or not? Let me re-phrase that. Does anyone know if there is PUBLIC access to these numbers?

Whew, I'm glad this phase is over

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 3:12 AM
Honored Member

Post How about a Red Robin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean
Personally I think Red Lobster is way over rated. High price for small semi quality food, at least here in Boise. The wife and I don't ever plan on going back.

Once was enough for me too! Couldn't agree with this post more. But, I know some really like RL and for them - great. Maybe they ate at a better one, or didn't have to wait so long.

I wish we had a Red Robin, like Boise. I can't figure out why they won't expand east in ID. Does anyone know why?

For great and fine seafood dining, other restaurants come to mind.

Nonetheless, ths is good news simply because it gives the local residents another choice in restaurants, and a lot more tourists will stop (those loyal to Red Lobster) for a meal. I just hope those same tourists will spend enough time in I.F. seeing other things so they are able to eat dinner and taste real Idaho food after they finish at Red Lobster.

I'm happy for those who enjoy Red Lobster. Not trying to be down on good news. I'd just like to find out why I.F. can't get a Red Robin! Maybe that's an idea for the "wants list," for T.C.,, or the Ball Ventures construction south of Pancheri.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F.
Does anyone know if there is an estmated daily car count for Sunnyside or not? Let me re-phrase that. Does anyone know if there is PUBLIC access to these numbers?
You might try the Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization. Use the link below and look in the blue menu area. There is a link to a pdf of 2002 to 2006 traffic counts.
http://www.ci.idaho-falls.id.us/main...asp?PageId=267

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 8:59 AM

From the website sunnysidecrossroads.com I give you these traffic flow estimates:

2005: 17,500
2020: 25,000

The numbers are quoted as cars that use or pass by this exit.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 5:26 PM
Honored Member

Lightbulb URL Update

Thanks, Boizean and IFGuy for your suggestions. As always, it will be very interesting to see if the estmates and reality are close in numbers or way off.

I got tipped off last night that anyone who wants to access the "real Grown Idaho Falls" site most likely isn't using the right address.

Their address is: www.eastidaho.org.

Many people have been using the www.easternidaho.org and thinking that was where Grow IF had gone. Fortunately, a member corrected me to alert me where the real URL, that Grow Idaho Falls, was.

Having said that, I haven't had enough time to visit the accurate URL long enough to know what is similar or different. But, I did look briefly to confirm it was indeed the site, and it is.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 11:23 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

What is the story about a Victorian Village development in I.F.?
Is it a housing area, or more mixed use?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Unfourtanetly, it will only be a subdivision but there is good news, the homes won't be built in the same old same cookie cutter look. The developer is looking to build each home in the Victorian building style, each one different from the rest. These new homes are expected to be fairly spendy.

I noticed today that Taylor's Crossing is now taking reservations for terrace housing and row housing, as I do believe their main office development is nearing an end and now they will be concentrating on the residential/mixed use portion as well as the restaraunts. It should hopefully be an interesting construction year at Taylor's Crossing as it was alot of talk but not much action this year. That could also be due to the need for rezoning, and securing contracts for all the industrial buildings, and Eastern Idaho Railroad as that section needs to be abandoned to make way for the Marriott.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 1:09 AM
Honored Member

Post The Hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy
Unfourtanetly, it will only be a subdivision but there is good news, the homes won't be built in the same old same cookie cutter look. The developer is looking to build each home in the Victorian building style, each one different from the rest. These new homes are expected to be fairly spendy.

That could also be due to the need for rezoning, and securing contracts for all the industrial buildings, and Eastern Idaho Railroad as that section needs to be abandoned to make way for the Marriott.
Does it seem that way to you, IFguy, that jumping all the hoops, doing paperwork for maybe the 6th time and then having to get permits or whatever because a design is different, always slows developments down? Or, is it just me that wants buildings built as soon as possible. I do know based on certain re-zoning and other matters the city council (or county) has on their agenda, a request can easily stretch to a few more weeks.

I can't wait to see these new homes. It will really start to seem much more like a mixed use, urban area. Is McNeil going to build all the homes, or will different contractors be involved?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Does anyone have a website or rendering they can post on this? It's great when a residential developer goes to the extra effort on something like this.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 2:47 AM
Honored Member

Question New or Re-use of Existing Buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145
Does anyone have a website or rendering they can post on this? It's great when a residential developer goes to the extra effort on something like this.

I'm not familiar with the project in question, "Victorian Village." I believe Sawtooth originally asked about it. I know ther is a subdivision that is named Victorian Village; however, it is established. So I don't know if this could be another phase of single homes or another project.

I wanted to pose another question. While it exciting to think that Taylor's Crossing if finally going to start building their various options for housing. And, it sounds like Ball Ventures is following the theme immediately south of Pancheri. Hopefully, that will start the new urbanism and others will enjoy it enough to want to create it elsewhere.

But, I've been thinking lately, we're focusing on how to see towers with mixed use be built in various parts of the city. However, we still have a few "empty boxes." So I'm wondering what all of you think should be done with facilities like the building on W. Broadway that use to be Ernst? Should it be torn down and real development occur there? Or, should it become a community center of sorts with possibly even Saturday Markets? Should the city buy it and use it as a rec center? Should a charitable drive occur and try to link some of the social service agencies in a building like this?

I don't claim to have the answer to this question and others, but as some buildings are being replace (like the new State of Idaho buildings, Health Department, Employement etc.) what should happen to their former buildings?

This is an opportunity to use your imagination, based on what you know about the buildings and the community's needs and wants. What should we do with these buildings? I'm looking forward to reading what many of you think.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 6:04 AM

Does Idaho Falls have a coffee shop yet? Seriously, I am not being silly. Downtown I.F. would be great for a few independent, funky, coffee shops.
And no, starbucks inside of Albertsons does not count.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 11:09 AM
Honored Member

Exclamation Coffee Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood
Does Idaho Falls have a coffee shop yet? Seriously, I am not being silly. Downtown I.F. would be great for a few independent, funky, coffee shops.
And no, starbucks inside of Albertsons does not count.

Yes, Cottonwood. In downtown there is a wonderful coffeshop named the Villacoffeeshouse@www.villacoffeehouse.com. It cross promotes with the new renovated downtow Destinations Inn : www.destinationsinn.com, and finally the fine dining of the cellar at: www.thecellar.biz.

There are about 10 free standing locally owned coffee drive throughs, with Java Express having 5 locations, I think. I might be off by 1-2 drive throughs.

As for Starbucks, well, it will be interesting. There is one in Fred Meyers and one has officially been announced, with another being rumored at this point. The one formally announced will be in what is becoming the "other restaurant row," on West Broadway. With The Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Ruby River Steak House and other restaurants, that Starbucks will be directly across Broadway from one of the Java Express locations. Credit for most of this information comes from www.IdahoFallz.Com from a person using the user name of "DNIX0112" .

As is the case in most cities, some worry if all the indepenent locations can continue with Starbucks entering the local scene.

IMHO two other great places for local coffee shops, where people could gather inside to have a coffe, tea or lunch etc., would be at the new mixed use Ball-Ventures project south of Pancheri and in the University Place/INL area.

Next time you are in town, please check out the Villa or other locals and let us know what you think

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 12:16 AM
Honored Member

Question Geothermal Possibility

Does anyone know more about the geothermal energy article referenced in the Post Register today? I've heard rumors, but how solid is this geothermal energy, both to be developed in eastern ID? And, how much ould this development influence our overall ecnomy in jobs, dollars in the market, and possible need for better infrastructure and potentially even other companies coming in to try to find their own geothermal energy?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 1:51 AM

Future energy...

Well, I can't say for sure how solid Geothermal energy is but it sounds like a win win situation, except for the amount of jobs of course. It would be much like the wind farms where it only needs maintainance here and there, but with the amount of Megawatts it can produce I can say that as far as a new energy technology goes, this should really be looked at as an option more frequently.

Hopefully Idaho Falls will know of it's future with Iogen (ethanol) in the near future. This would be a 150+ million dollar project, and I am sure would bring a decent amount of jobs to the area.

IF is sure sounding like it could be turning into the energy corridor that it has been envisioned it could be!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 4:46 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Energy

"Hopefully Idaho Falls will know of it's future with Iogen (ethanol) in the near future. This would be a 150+ million dollar project, and I am sure would bring a decent amount of jobs to the area.

IF is sure sounding like it could be turning into the energy corridor that it has been envisioned it could be!"
from IFGuy

I do think you are on to something here. There certainly have been a lot of businesses that are publically making their presence knwon when they visit for more information.

I just wish some would finally start all they have talked about doing.

Last I read, Iogen was teaming up with a company like Shell. Have you heard anything more about that?

Last edited by N2I.F.; Nov 20, 2006 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 6:23 AM
Honored Member

Question Costco

I've heard rumors for a long time about Costco builidng in Idaho Falls. I've talked to people who have solid knowledge that say the delay is because Costco can't decide where to build.

I'm wondering if anyone knows more than I about the plans for a new Costco in Idaho Falls?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West