HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:06 PM

The creation of the auditorium district passed and funding for the events center in the form of a 5% hotel tax is now legal.

Yipee!!! Minor leauge hockey, arena leauge football, minor leauge basketball, rodeos, monster trucks, concerts and more!!!

Great timing for this!

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 12:20 AM

Don't forget midget tossing, dog fighting and ultimate frisbee. Hopefully, between very minor league sporting events there will be a few great cultural offerings and some nice conventions coming to town thanks to the events center.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Don't forget midget tossing, dog fighting and ultimate frisbee. Hopefully, between very minor league sporting events there will be a few great cultural offerings and some nice conventions coming to town thanks to the events center.
Yes midget wrestling!!! And it looks like Sea Port Airlines will fill the void left by Horizon by reestablishing the IF-Boise flight! Great couple of days.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:08 AM

Maybe i'm just a bitter Boisean, but having an auditorium district doesn't guarantee anything. We have one of the smallest convention centers for a city our size in the nation. The Greater Boise Auditorium District already owns high-profile land right off I-184 and nearly 12 million dollars in reserves, but no new convention center is in the immediate future.

Sorry for the rant, just saying that hopefully Idaho Falls will have better luck than we Boiseans. And great news about that IF-Boise flight. Link?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisekid View Post
Maybe i'm just a bitter Boisean, but having an auditorium district doesn't guarantee anything. We have one of the smallest convention centers for a city our size in the nation. The Greater Boise Auditorium District already owns high-profile land right off I-184 and nearly 12 million dollars in reserves, but no new convention center is in the immediate future.

Sorry for the rant, just saying that hopefully Idaho Falls will have better luck than we Boiseans. And great news about that IF-Boise flight. Link?
http://www.localnews8.com/news/27943245/detail.html

It seems this flight will be tested to find out the "real" need. Should work out though.

Yeah, I don't know what to say about the Boise convention center except there are already quite a few facilities throughout the Treasure Valley. Maybe they are just waiting for the right time to build the best facility?

Idaho Falls has two places right now other than high school gyms, Civic auditorium which seats 1200 people and the Willard Arts Center which seats 600. When booking conventions, concerts, ect, there hasn't been a suitable location. The closest places other than Boise and SLC to have large events are owned by either BYUI or ISU. This will be a true events/convention center and will serve all of East Idaho, West Wyoming, parts of Montana, and Utah.

The director of the auditorium district hopes to enact the tax in the next two months and be able to break ground next spring.

Next spring is going to be crazy around ol' IF. Areva will begin construction, the INL will be breaking ground on new buildings, and the events center might be going up as well. IFs next boom is just around the corner.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:32 PM

Good news for Idaho Falls. A quick google search resulted in articles of lawsuits (of course) by that chump who runs a hotel chain, headquartered in Idaho, but he likes to waste everyones time with his circus antics (he does this along with a pudgy dude who also hates auditorium districts and new convention centers). They have been a pain in the ass here in Boise and I see they have filed lawsuits in Pocatello and Idaho Falls too. They are yappy and pathetic for their little cause they push which in some way hinders convention growth in Idaho. Their big hotel here in Boise is out by the tacky Edwards Cinema Complex where it belongs.

Edit...there was even a protest outside of one of their hotels in Pocatello last year.

Last edited by Cottonwood; May 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:15 PM

Yep. That guy led the revolt against the hotel tax in 1999, which was IFs first attempt at an auditorium district. He has been causing problems in Boise, IF, and Pocatello for over ten years. It is really a shame when a business owner doesn't want to give a little to get a lot more. My bet is that there will be at least two hotels built near the events center within 2-3 years. Not only will they realize the location is great but also realize that guests will pay that extra 5% to stay in IF. They will not drive an extra 25-50 miles just to save 5-10 bucks. I never have.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:47 PM

Good news about that flight between the capitol city and Idaho Falls.

Yet another Idaho Falls inspired article in the IBR about historic buildings in downtown:

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2011/05/12/43764/

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
Honored Member

New Interest in the Idaho Falls Marriott Residence Inn?

Per an article in the Post Register this a.m., Woodbury Corporation in Salt Lake City, has started very preliminary discussions with the Walkers and Taylors Crossing on the River, about possibly taing over the task of developing the Marriott Residence Inn in Idaho Falls.

Woodbury Corp. confirmed there had been discussions; however the Walkers absolutely refuse to break their confidentiality agreement. Woodbury has already sought bids from 4 contractors, including two in eastern ID. I believe the bids are suppose to be submitted to Woodbury this week.

Of course, Woodbury would ONLY get invovled if it looks like a profitable business venture, AFTER the LEGAL ISSUES and LIENS against the property are resolved. I think court starts in Aug.

My gut tells me this is going to turn out ok. If not Woodbury then maybe someone else. It certainly will get other large developers looking at the property and what would be needed to finish it by having Woodbury announce what they have to date.

Since the Post Register is a paid online subscription and direct links can't be posted here, let's hope the television and/or other sources of building news picks up this story so we can post some links for others to read.

I'm happy about the new events center passing, along with the new air service. In reading about the new air service and other states where the OR-based airline is expanding, this may be far better in the long run for Idaho Falls connecting with other states in the west.

Besides, they say the flight experience will be very much like a private plane flight (no flight attendant, but those private flights are nice). This could make Horizon's service look inferior. And the prices looked great as well. I hope everyone traveling between Boise/Idaho Falls, or Boise to Rexburg, Jackson Hole/Blackfoot/Pocatello, will remember a new air service will be starting 4X/day, if there is enough demand.

It seems like some good news is starting to happen again in Idaho Falls.

Remember, there will be less people on the plane than in some large Mini-vans, let alone the SLASH route to Boise and back, let alone a personal vehicle.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 4:44 AM

I wish they would demolish the Marriott Residence Inn and replace it by expanding the existing park. Idaho Falls can do much better.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:49 PM

The Siringa building ribbon cutting was last night. Beautiful building. They constructed an entirely new roof to replace what I think was a flat roof. The interior is exposed wood and beams. I hope more businesses keep following suit. It also goes to show that there are intelligent people out there who recognize the value of IF's downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Per an article in the Post Register this a.m., Woodbury Corporation in Salt Lake City, has started very preliminary discussions with the Walkers and Taylors Crossing on the River, about possibly taing over the task of developing the Marriott Residence Inn in Idaho Falls.

Woodbury Corp. confirmed there had been discussions; however the Walkers absolutely refuse to break their confidentiality agreement. Woodbury has already sought bids from 4 contractors, including two in eastern ID. I believe the bids are suppose to be submitted to Woodbury this week.

Of course, Woodbury would ONLY get invovled if it looks like a profitable business venture, AFTER the LEGAL ISSUES and LIENS against the property are resolved. I think court starts in Aug.

My gut tells me this is going to turn out ok. If not Woodbury then maybe someone else. It certainly will get other large developers looking at the property and what would be needed to finish it by having Woodbury announce what they have to date.

Since the Post Register is a paid online subscription and direct links can't be posted here, let's hope the television and/or other sources of building news picks up this story so we can post some links for others to read.

I'm happy about the new events center passing, along with the new air service. In reading about the new air service and other states where the OR-based airline is expanding, this may be far better in the long run for Idaho Falls connecting with other states in the west.

Besides, they say the flight experience will be very much like a private plane flight (no flight attendant, but those private flights are nice). This could make Horizon's service look inferior. And the prices looked great as well. I hope everyone traveling between Boise/Idaho Falls, or Boise to Rexburg, Jackson Hole/Blackfoot/Pocatello, will remember a new air service will be starting 4X/day, if there is enough demand.

It seems like some good news is starting to happen again in Idaho Falls.

Remember, there will be less people on the plane than in some large Mini-vans, let alone the SLASH route to Boise and back, let alone a personal vehicle.
Here's to hoping the hotel finally gets finished. Kind of fed up from empty words and promises from Mr. Walker. I'm sure he has been trying to find funding but he may want to sell the whole development to someone who will see it through to completion. It has been 3 years since even a single brick has been laid on the canal. The gardens on the river look like a pile of rock and that big festering hole next to the eagle fountain is nothing but an eye sore.

Someone with experience in bringing in tenants and fianancing needs to get on board. The development as a whole needs to be seen through to completion. Not only the hotel but the restaurants, condos, and reception center and landscaping.

The other part of this development that bugs me is the huge industrial tract sucked right into the middle of this. At this point it needs to be done right for the benefit of the city and any tenants who choose to make this their place of business. No one wants to look out their window and see piles of industrial equipment when they are paying premium price for premium office space.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:32 PM

Whats going on this summer in Idaho Falls? (I had to bump this because it was sitting beneath the uh- um... closed Pueblo thread)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Whats going on this summer in Idaho Falls? (I had to bump this because it was sitting beneath the uh- um... closed Pueblo thread)
Yeah, not a lot to say at the moment...been a little slow on the development news front. There's a bit of construction going on downtown although it is mainly demoing old buildings to build parking lots. (Most likely in order to accomadate the Memorial Drive project next summer.) There are a few companies renovating historic buildings and upgrading them as well. Downtown IF looks to be turning a corner as far as office space being utilized and restaurants and shops should follow.

Still waiting to hear if Woodbury Corp out of SLC is going to buy the Marriott property and get it finished.

The auditorium district looks to be collecting the hotel tax starting in September and we could be looking forward to breaking ground on the events center next spring!

The biggest project going on right now is the R&D building at the INL complex on the north side of town. After that is built there looks to be at least 4 more buildings planned all of them 2-3 stories and a parking garage.

Next year is shaping up to be huge in the construction industry with Areva breaking ground, the INL buildings, Memorial Drive reconstruction, Pancheri overpass reconstruction, possibly the events center and who knows what else between now and then.

Other than the waiting game, just your run of the mill restaurants, small shops, gas stations, ect. Really looking forward to next spring and all the construction it could bring.

I really hope the new Sunnyside Corridor takes off with Snake River Landing and Sunnyside Crossroads developments. There is also a huge regional park being built on the banks of the Snake River that should tie in very well with all these developments and we should see some progress in the next year or two. Possibly 2-3 more hotels in that area with restaurants and shops...of course. However there is a rumor circulating that a big Boise based hospital has purchased ground in this area and I would be interested to find out if anyone else knows anything or has heard this rumor as well.

Another project I have yet to hear anything else about is Hyperion Power Generation and if they will get their licensing and locate here in IF town.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 7:53 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...art-boise.html

Seaport Airlines to start Boise-Idaho Falls flight service on July 18

By Bill Roberts - broberts@idahostatesman.com
Published: 06/22/11

The Portland-based airline company will begin services with four round trips between Boise and Idaho Falls Monday through Friday and two round trips on Sunday.

SeaPort Airlines also will have a flight to Pendleton, Ore. from Boise. Boise-Idaho Falls ticket prices begin at $175 each way, plus fees. Corporate accounts are available at a savings of 5 percent to 15 percent.

Here is the schedule:

• Boise-Idaho Falls (Monday-Friday):7:30 a.m, 11 a.m. 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.

• Idaho Falls-Boise (Monday-Friday) 6 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Boise-Pendleton flights will cost $91 plus fees each way.

The schedule:

• Boise-Pendleton flights will depart at 3 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

• Pendleton-Boise service will depart at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays.

Service to Idaho Falls was lost in August 2010 when Horizon stopped its flight to the eastern Idaho city. Some local businesses say the flight, which will last about an hour, is going to be better than requiring employees to drive about four hours between the two cities.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...#ixzz1Q2K8IReH

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:06 AM
Honored Member

Stevens Henager Idaho Falls Branch

Like others here, glad to see the flight between the two largest airports started again. And the events center is very much needed.

BTW - does Bret Michaels own property in eastern ID or western WY? I'm just curious why he tours in Idaho Falls so much either solo or with Poison.

I. F. Guy, don't forget Sandy Downs is a viable venue during several months. It will be nice to have so much more space in the new events center.

I ran across a notice that Stevens Henager had posted online in May. If someone already posted about this I missed the post.

The Idaho Falls location is now a branch location of S.H. That means not only are degrees available online but via instruction in the classroom as well as labs. Both Associate and Bach. degrees are available. It looks like there are 4-5 major areas of study right now, which is perfect to supplement what is needed by the largest employers and future for the workforce (IMHO). I look for S. H. to need more space soon given how many students they already have and how many more they I expect they will have with these initial degrees at the Idaho Falls Branch Campus.

Here's the link if you want to see : http://www.stevenshenager.edu/locati...s/our-programs

Ultimately, I think this will also help the Univ. of Phoenix better define what classes they may want to add for in person instruction.

I'm always glad to see more education opportunities for area residents and this is developing exactly as I predicted years ago when the demand for more college degrees and classes in Idaho Falls got nowhere with state universities. Private Universities establishing branches in Idaho Falls makes sense to me.

I know for a fact there is developing collaboration with a third private university and a very limited amount of students in the Idaho Falls area. Can't really talk about that currently; I just know more and more private universities are looking at the needs in the area.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:23 AM

BOI-IDA Service

I'm excited to see the service reinstated between BOI and IDA but does $350 roundtrip seem outrageous to anyone else?? I could fly Boise to LA for less than that! I don't know how much Horizon charged but I can't imagine it was this expensive, will there be enough demand to fill 4 daily flights each way at this price?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:52 PM

October 1st will be the first day for the auditorium district to collect the 5% hotel bed tax. Hopefully they will be able to secure funding shortly thereafter so that the events center can be built asap.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 6:35 PM

http://www.localnews8.com/news/28851815/detail.html

Wow! I was not aware this would be 57 acres when complete. For those not familiar with the location it is Southeast of the new Sunnyside Interchange next to the Snake River. I hope this doesn't take too long to complete.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:06 AM

The INL will be starting construction on a 3 story, 148,000 sq. ft. lab next spring. Things are really starting to line up next year for construction and hopefully will start a little "boom". Desperatly needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West