HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F.
I've heard rumors for a long time about Costco builidng in Idaho Falls. I've talked to people who have solid knowledge that say the delay is because Costco can't decide where to build.

I'm wondering if anyone knows more than I about the plans for a new Costco in Idaho Falls?
I don't know where they plan on building, but I would love to see it built on the north side of town near US 26 and St. Leon Road. There is a huge field with huge potential for a commercial "power center". I think it would help breathe new life into the stagnant north side of town, with the south and west sides of town getting all the attention and growth, something needs to be done north of town. Just my.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 11:11 PM
Honored Member

Wink Good Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy
I don't know where they plan on building, but I would love to see it built on the north side of town near US 26 and St. Leon Road. There is a huge field with huge potential for a commercial "power center". I think it would help breathe new life into the stagnant north side of town, with the south and west sides of town getting all the attention and growth, something needs to be done north of town. Just my.

This sounds like a good location, IFGuy. I can't picture it and how it would all work. Every Costco I've ever seen has been a stand alone project. I don't know if they would build amid other commercial activity, or if they do, I'll bet that they are apart from other commercial development.

That being said, while every Costco I've seen is in an area just for itself, they are in areas with high daily car counts. I think the most unusual place I"ve seen a Costco, is the one in Murray, right by the new Intermountain Hospital.

This gives access to Madison County, YNP, The Tetons and Jackson Hole. Cuts 10-15 minutes off travel. But, will the people from Blackfoot drive there and bypass WalMart? I think so, as it would be a COSTCO.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 1:13 AM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
This sounds like a good location, IFGuy. I can't picture it and how it would all work. Every Costco I've ever seen has been a stand alone project. I don't know if they would build amid other commercial activity, or if they do, I'll bet that they are apart from other commercial development.

That being said, while every Costco I've seen is in an area just for itself, they are in areas with high daily car counts. I think the most unusual place I"ve seen a Costco, is the one in Murray, right by the new Intermountain Hospital.

This gives access to Madison County, YNP, The Tetons and Jackson Hole. Cuts 10-15 minutes off travel. But, will the people from Blackfoot drive there and bypass WalMart? I think so, as it would be a COSTCO.
I think Costco is changing to be located next to major retail developments. Most major retailers locate where they can get the best tax breaks. I would think they would go south and east or maybe downtown I.F.

Costco just announced they are putting a new store in West Valley City in Utah right next to the Valley Fair Mall (tax breaks). Also opened a store 5 or so years ago next to the University Mall in Orem (tax breaks). In Lehi/American Fork they built next to a new Lowe's (tax breaks) across from a Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Kohl's dept. store.
and moved their Sandy store to be just north of SoutheTowne Center.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 1:34 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob
I think Costco is changing to be located next to major retail developments. Most major retailers locate where they can get the best tax breaks. I would think they would go south and east or maybe downtown I.F.

Costco just announced they are putting a new store in West Valley City in Utah right next to the Valley Fair Mall (tax breaks). Also opened a store 5 or so years ago next to the University Mall in Orem (tax breaks). In Lehi/American Fork they built next to a new Lowe's (tax breaks) across from a Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Kohl's dept. store.
and moved their Sandy store to be just north of SoutheTowne Center.

You are right Smiling Bob. I'd heard about the Valley Fair Mall project being announced. So where they place Costco may change. Maybe they will go next to the newest Wal-Mart, on Broadway and I-15. Costco still seems to be going fairly close to freeways, or major secondary streets (like 215 and VFM and UM in Orem).

The Sandy Store is now north of South Towne? Where did they put the Sandy Costco?

Thanks for the info. If you have any insight, guesses or have been following Costco long enough, it sounds like they are building up the I-15 corrider in UT. They just need to continue north to Idaho Falls. Please let us know if you hear anything.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 2:23 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Business Loop by T.C.

I was recenty reading about one of the last commercial buildings that will be built in Taylor's Crossing, as the focus I believe will be mostly on the housing units. However, this last 8,000 s.f. is commercial. I believe the building is 11,000 s.f., but Bajio's has commited for 3K.

We know there will be another free standing restaurant. Locals were told months ago it would be another Sizzler; however, with the recent announcement of Ruby River going in just a few blocks away (close to the newest Wal-Mart), I would be surprised to have two steak house, despite the fact they are VERY different, that close by each other. While it is simply my guess, I think McNeil will probably add a different type of restaurant.

As I read the plans more in detail I realized I hadn't read one part previously, or at least understood it the way it is clearly described now.

"The new Sunnyside exit just opened off I-15 and the new business loop will open shortly adding even more to the traffic count."

Can anyone tell me more about where the "new business loop" will start and end? This is an exciting development. Still makes me wonder if Costco may be going in south of Wal-Mart and west of T.C. I'm not sure if Ball Ventures is developing the west side of the river in that area, or if they are strictly staying on the east side. I do know the land south of Wal-Mart apparently is no longer for sale. Kohls was suppose to go there originally, but changed locatons to end up on Hitt Road south of Sunnyside. And, if has been speculated Costco could go there too (south of Sunnyside and Hitt) - like any more traffic is needed in that area , as a whole new deveopment is suppose to be developed.

But, for now I'm interesting in this new business loop that borders or goes through T.C., potentially Ball Ventures proects and apparently somewhere around Wal-Mart, and potentially another big business. It will be interesting to see streets will or won't be part of it.

I edited this because I read a bit more. It seems that this business loop is suppose to be five lanes. One intersection with be south of Pancheri and south of Utah. Somehow this links to the new Sunnyside exit and that is where the five lane road is being built to Pancheri. Then, most likely it will have Utah into T.C. and Wal-Mart and mini-restaurant row would all just be west of it.

If this new five lane road, which was suppose to be done in Nov., 2006, is completed anytime, that just opens up the door for development all along I-15 between Wal-Mart and Sunnyside. While we know some large car dealeships, incuding Land Rover have commited to space somewhere around the Sunnyside exit, I wonder if this business loop will focus on other businesses, or be the back door to some of the new car dealerships or both?

Please hare any information that you have. The creation of this business loop highway is new to me, but makes perfect sense. They had to wait for Sunnyside to open first.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Nov 22, 2006 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 3:17 PM

Hey N2I.F., Can you or I.Fguy take some pics of Taylor's Crossing and post them. I did see some pics of the Eagle sculpture, but there didn't seem to be anything else available. It sounds like a great development and would like to see more of it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 3:03 AM
Honored Member

Smile Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145

Hey N2I.F., Can you or I.Fguy take some pics of Taylor's Crossing and post them. I did see some pics of the Eagle sculpture, but there didn't seem to be anything else available. It sounds like a great development and would like to see more of it.
Delts, that is good idea. Unfortunately, I'm not personally able to get pics for here, given many factors. IF Guy, what is your ability about get pics we can use here? Maybe we can approach someone who has an extensive gallery to either join, or work with us.

Meantime, Delts, I was looking at Taylor Crossing's latest web site update. It's a tremendous improvement over what was there previously. On the right hand side of each pic, if one clicks it will state when the building was built, what type of business/professional offices are in them etc. There are some nice shots that I've not seen previously on their web site. I tried to link it here, but something isn't working tonight with the T.C. web site. So you might want to look in the future. www.taylorscrossing.com to see more until we can get pics here.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 4:19 AM

I'm still waiting to see if the Land Rover dealership is still a go.

Those cars are glorious. I need myself one.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 4:22 AM

P.S. I really wish once T.C. is all developed, that they would make it a pedestrian paradise, with just one road going through it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 1:12 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up INL - "Expression of Interest"

INL is now publically advertising a "Expression of Interest," from contractors "with a proven record of building accredited, secure buildings." This building, the first of those promised by INL (Batelle), is to be between 250,000-400,000 sq. ft.

Wet and dry labs, conference areas, offices etc. While they won't be very tall, this is the first of the promised buildings to be built.

We can only hope more lab and office space will be needed that will require a redesign for more floors upward instead of more buildings consuming valuable river bank property.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 1:03 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Has the INEEL been downsizing or upsizing lately?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 12:35 PM
Honored Member

Exclamation Great Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Has the INEEL been downsizing or upsizing lately?
Sawtooth:

I'm not sure any two people will give you the identical answer. So check a few times as you may get more than one answer and I don't know that any are wrong. I think it depends on employees working directy for BAE vs. spinoffs. And, if employees work for INL, which of the three divisions does he/she work, all factor in how a person answers your question. I think it is fair to say some programs at INL are moving ahead at record speed. While other programs, such as the clean up, may be not the major story about INL currently.

Ultimately, my answer is, I believe the number of people working on INL-designated missions and contracts has increased; however, their employment may not be directly through INL/BAE. If I recall correctly, one of the objectives of the most recently awarded contract was to be able to partner with local companies to further the science, further most of the work and encourage spin-offs locally. I don't know the ratio of how much work is being done by BAE employees directy vs. locals that are sub-contracting or providing additional services.

When Battelle (BEA) took the reigns, there were several changes from the previous contract. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and military branches, specifically the Air Force, have contracted for certain work. DHS - is in the second funding round wth INL regarding Cyberspace Safety, given work-to-date. You probably just read that INL's Explosives Detection System (IEDS) will be installed at Wright-Patterson AFB for field testing. Requests are already coming from Iraq, and elsewhere, of how rapidly can this invention be manufactured and sent to the buyer.

BEA was also asked to submit a plan of how to work with regional universities- INRA (http://www.inra.org) and also how to create and work with the National University Consortium (including MIT, Ohio State and others: http://www.inl.gov/partnerships/index.shtml ) for excellence in nucear education. So in a way I've never seen before, INL was given the mission to educate via a unique partnership.

The Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES) will be completed by 2008. What I posted earlier was the first public notice I've seen for contractors to review plans etc. for the first building to house the various programs of CAES. CAES will be at University Place.

I would refer you to INL's site about CAES at: www.caesenergy.org. The goal is to be an international training facility, that is built and fully functional by 2008. Please see the reference page, as some times those who haven't followed this latest contract very closely believe we who have and are aware what Battelle contracted to do, are stretching the commitments when we mention what will change. We are accussed of having ideas and thinking far beyond what we should, given that it is only in Idaho Falls.

And with that much info, I'd better stop. Maybe this time some people on this forum will read before they take their shots not realizing how much they don't know.

To answer to your question, in a different way, I think it depends on which of the 3 major divsions at INL (National Security, Nuclear Energy or Science and Technology) whether people work "at the site" or are working more and more in town or perhaps for a sub-contractor, of how many employees there are. I think there are more employees working daily to support these missions than ever before, but as I initially said, I don't think they are all INL/BAE employees. And, by 2008, I think International education, let alone U.S. education at CAES will create an area of growth in Idaho Falls that many don't know how to predict currently.

Maybe that is when the buildings will finally start expanding upward, because I think the 4-5 new buildings will have consumed most of the space INL has at University Place.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Nov 27, 2006 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Delts, that is good idea. Unfortunately, I'm not personally able to get pics for here, given many factors. IF Guy, what is your ability about get pics we can use here? Maybe we can approach someone who has an extensive gallery to either join, or work with us.

Meantime, Delts, I was looking at Taylor Crossing's latest web site update. It's a tremendous improvement over what was there previously. On the right hand side of each pic, if one clicks it will state when the building was built, what type of business/professional offices are in them etc. There are some nice shots that I've not seen previously on their web site. I tried to link it here, but something isn't working tonight with the T.C. web site. So you might want to look in the future. www.taylorscrossing.com to see more until we can get pics here.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
Thanks for the heads-up on the website. I checked it out, and it definately gave me a much better idea of Taylor's Crossing. What an attractive business park! The overall quality and the landscaping/sculpture's are top's. In response to your original question,"Taylor's Crossing is a different type of development than The Meadow's in American Fork." The Meadows, as of now is primarily a mixed-commercial development of big box retailer's,restaurants,cinemark complex etc. Taylor's Crossing seems to be almost identical to the Jamestown development in North Provo, along University Ave. They are so similar,I'm thinking they were projects by the same developer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:04 PM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Three Walker Brothers Developments?

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up on the website. I checked it out, and it definately gave me a much better idea of Taylor's Crossing. What an attractive business park! The overall quality and the landscaping/sculpture's are top's. In response to your original question,"Taylor's Crossing is a different type of development than The Meadow's in American Fork." The Meadows, as of now is primarily a mixed-commercial development of big box retailer's,restaurants,cinemark complex etc. Taylor's Crossing seems to be almost identical to the Jamestown development in North Provo, along University Ave. They are so similar,I'm thinking they were projects by the same developer.

Yes, Delts, I know the Walker Brothers were developing in Provo and St. George. I don't know if it is DBA McNeil Development or not. McNeil is also developing an industrial/business park a few miles away.

T.C. is mixed use, but not big box. While Wal-Mart borders on the west, it is not officially part of T.C. Tenants are more professionals: lawyers, CPAs, second offices for some medical practices etc. Today it was announced that Edge Wireless is moving a 30 person call center to T. C. from Bend, OR. There is a belief that as business grows, Edge Wireless may occupy other space at T.C. That is kind of interesting news, given that 97% (or potential more, now) space is leased at T.C. I'm wondering if they are thinking ahead to when T.C. redevelops on the east bank of the river.

I'll try to look at the Jamestown Development, in N. Provo. Where does N. Provo start compared to Orem, Lindon, Pleasant Grove (with that nice convention center and two high rise hotels announced)? It seems to all run together in my mind and come to a common point at the Purple Turtle . Naw - I know that is American Fork, but how far on University Ave. does one drive to be in N. Provo?

Due to the great information avaiable on the Utah County Thread, this will be posted both in he I.F. Projects and Utah County Projects. After all, I think there are a lot of people who are investing in developments in both areas, and the developments are similar, but unique for each city.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 7:49 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Taylor Crossing is more like Jamestown in Provo, but with a bit of the strip mall across Univ. Ave. mixed in. The developer mixed in retail and food businesses into the tenant mix. T.C. is more open with more parking and doesn't have all the trees that Jamestown has.

The roundabout with the eagle, cougar, etc. is incredible. I had seen the pictures, but you have to see it in person to truly get the feel of it. We drove around and around the roundabout on our way to Wal-mart on Thanksgiving. (Didn't have a camera, sorry.) Besides pictures don't do it justice.

Something does need to be built between T.C. and Wal-mart. The roundabout should be the center of the T.C., and now it feels like an exit/entrance.

As for Kohls and Costco locating off Sunnyside and Hitt Road. It only makes sense if your a retailer to be around the other retailers. This is the area of IF where the major players are located. Might be waiting for sunnyside to expand to 2 lanes in each direction.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 2:50 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Good Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob
Taylor Crossing is more like Jamestown in Provo, but with a bit of the strip mall across Univ. Ave. mixed in. The developer mixed in retail and food businesses into the tenant mix. T.C. is more open with more parking and doesn't have all the trees that Jamestown has.

The roundabout with the eagle, cougar, etc. is incredible. I had seen the pictures, but you have to see it in person to truly get the feel of it. We drove around and around the roundabout on our way to Wal-mart on Thanksgiving. (Didn't have a camera, sorry.) Besides pictures don't do it justice.

Something does need to be built between T.C. and Wal-mart. The roundabout should be the center of the T.C., and now it feels like an exit/entrance.

As for Kohls and Costco locating off Sunnyside and Hitt Road. It only makes sense if your a retailer to be around the other retailers. This is the area of IF where the major players are located. Might be waiting for sunnyside to expand to 2 lanes in each direction.

Thanks, Smiling Bob for giving T.C. and the entire Renassiance area a review from someone who doesn't see it as often. Unless NAI still had For Sale signs up, I think the land between T.C. and Wal-Mart has been purchased. Also, another T.C. building, and restaurant will go between them, as I understand it. Running water streams (possibly a pond), trees and a lot of greenery are planned for the residential area of T.C. But, obviously, those plants will take some time to grow.

It sounds like you got to see where Kohls is being built. I honestly don't know mow much more traffic Hitt Road - AKA 25 East- AKA the boundary between Idaho Falls and Ammon, can handle. I've heard of that for a site for Costco, but then again, with the new Sunnyside exit, there are major developments planned. Probably Land Rover and at least the new Toyota Dealership will locate near the exist. I'm not sure where the other dealerships will locate. I guess I should post the major deveopment that has already been before the City Council to get annexed etc. Given the size of that development, I can see how Costco could be a nice fit there as well.

I do know a lot of people think there will be major development off of the Sunnyside exit both ways (east and west). It is anticipated that the next expansion of housing will be west off of the Sunnyside exit and the usual commerical development will follow. I can't wait until that one last strip of Sunnyside is enarged next summer. It will be something to celebrate. I think it will be a very, very busy road.

It sounds like with the new way Costco is locating near malls and big box stores in UT, a Costco could fit in most anywhere, that retail is established, or being developed. Given what you wrote before, from your perspective, is there anyway that Costco would consider going south of the Broadway Wal-Mart (by T.C.)? Or, do you think that is too hard to get to?

I still think Costco will want to get that YNP, Rexburg, Driggs/Tetons and Jackson Hole tourists and residents. That is the one reason I think they woud consider building northeast of downtown. Sam's Club is on 17th and added a fairly good size addition about a year ago. I don't know if Costco tends to build near Sam's Club or in a different area. I do know, for a fact, Costco was looking at the Northgate Mile, but I have no idea if they settled on a spot, or are still looking around given other development and easy access.

Next time you are in Idaho Falls, please take your camera. The roundabout is a work of art, in T.C. Per the Walkers, they plan compimentary art pieces elsewhere. Now, to see what they build for housing. Maybe construction will FINALLY have started on the 13th story Marriott at T.C. when you return. And, it will take a while, but they will be developing the east side of the river opposite T.C. However, it is my understanding a lot of property has already been bought.

It's kind of hard to believe that over by Wal-Mart and not far from the Olive Garden, Ruby River will build their first Idaho location. However, the contractor for RR has turned into a "mini-developer." They plan to build a small strip mall somewhere around Ruby River and the new Starbucks. That one boggles my brain - maybe by the Harley Davidson store, which probably needs to move closer to the freeway and let that lot be part of the change downtown. We can only hope that they will put some specialty stores, like a travel/luggage business that I think are desperately needed.

Thanks for your comments, they are enlightening and welcomed. Please come back again with any other ieas that you have.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 8:56 AM
Honored Member

Question Sunnyside Crossroads Regional Center

http://www.sunnysidecrossroads.com/html/home.html

Welcome!
The new Sunnyside Crossroads Regional Center gives you everything you need, and always wanted, in the ideal location for your business growth activity:

High visibility Interstate 15 frontage with direct easy on and easy off freeway access from all directions (this new access is the only bypass outside of the congestion of in-town surface traffic flow in Idaho Falls). City traffic estimates project up to 17,500 cars per day by the year 2005, and 25,000 cars per day by 2020 passing and/or using the interchange.

Over 40+ acres (with up to 100+ acres planned for future use) of planned business development (with city services) pad sites designed for multi-use including; Entertainment, Restaurant, Retail, Lodging, Service, Medical, and Office!

The development is beautifully designed for high traffic, convenient access for customers, and maximum functionality for business success. Pad sites are available NOW!

Please contact Gerre McClintick at (208) 709-6326 today for site selection, development information, and prospectus.

Sorry I couldn't post the initial designs and plans for the two portions of this shopping center. Check out the web site. The South part is more detailed in design and blue prints show rough info about the development. It seems to be further along than the north portion.

Presently, no businesses have be then publically announced. But, the developers are having to get this annexed into the City of Idaho Falls, plus other rezoning etc issues.

I couldn't post the picture here, but if one looks at the webste you can see the development planned for two of the corners of the Sunnyside exit. I don't know if this type of development would be somewhere Costco would consider locating or not. It would also be interesting to hear the views of others of what specific busiinesses might go in here. I dont personally believe those traffic counts are high enough.

The developer obviously want restaurants, lodging, movie theaters etc. But, there seems to me to be a lot of space for other bigger box and smaller businesses.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 4:34 PM

Good news!

I've noticed that the crane for the Hilton is up. It's a lot taller than I thought it would be.

What's the building south of Pancheri that's two stories so far? Is it only two stories, or...what?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 4:51 PM

Can someone get pics of the crane? I would really like to see what a tower crane looks like in I.F. Seriously.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:40 AM
Honored Member

It May Be Crowded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean
Can someone get pics of the crane? I would really like to see what a tower crane looks like in I.F. Seriously.

Boizean that is a good question. Depending on timing, the Hilton is being built on Lindsay Blvd. replacing a previous hotel. But, not far away, when the Marrott Residence Inn starts, there may be cranes on both sides of Broadway for new hotels.

I agree it is worth a picture or maybe more than one.

Melaleuca kept a webcam on during construction of their new facilities. It would be nice if each of these projects would as well.

Interestingly enough, Ball Ventures is a partner in the Hilton and is the sole developer of land south of Pancheri, Snake River Landing (what IFTowner was referencing above). We'll see if B.V. will put anything live on their web site or elsewhere.

2007 should be busy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West