HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Nick's, but partly because I love these local places that have been around forever. I gave up searching for pizza in Calgary because during the boom it was nearly impossible to get delivery at times, so I'm probably missing out on a lot. I find most of my "favourite" pizza is outside of Calgary - Edmonton has a small chain I adore (Royal), NYNY in Vegas has amazing late-night slices, and uncultured heathen that I am, I just love Pizza Pizza in Ontario.

I've always wanted to try Tom's House of Pizza, but only because of their incessant advertising after Flames games. Anyone have an opinion here?
Tom's is pretty good, nothing special though IMO.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Tom's is pretty good, nothing special though IMO.
I don't mind George's on 17th, but their steaks are better. The don't hold a candle to the original George's in Ramsay. RIP. I once phoned the one in Ramsay from Cuba so I'd have a pizza waiting for me when I landed. That made me a living legend there. Shame they closed.

I noticed today that the pizza place on 11th ST that took over California Pizza's old spot has shuttered. I'm praying to every god I know that California will rise from the ashes and reopen.

As far a current places go. I've yet to find one that I like as much as George's or California.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 9:07 PM
not a NIMBY

Tom's has very thin crust, reminds me of Dr. Oetker frozen pizza. I like the pizzas from both 4th Street Pizza locations, and Nick's on 14 St SW.

I noticed Avocado closed on 17th Ave.

It is a sushi bar, not Chinese, going in where McD's was on Mac Tr. They were putting up the second 'S' in sushi on the sign when I walked by this morning. The 'H' was on the ground waiting to go up next. I think I saw the 'I' too!

Also a new Pho noodle house at 4633 Mac Tr. On the take-out menu, it says their other location is in Australia!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 9:09 PM

Was there any sign of a T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Tom's has very thin crust, reminds me of Dr. Oetker frozen pizza. I like the pizzas from both 4th Street Pizza locations, and Nick's on 14 St SW.

I noticed Avocado closed on 17th Ave.

It is a sushi bar, not Chinese, going in where McD's was on Mac Tr. They were putting up the second 'S' in sushi on the sign when I walked by this morning. The 'H' was on the ground waiting to go up next. I think I saw the 'I' too!

Also a new Pho noodle house at 4633 Mac Tr. On the take-out menu, it says their other location is in Australia!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
BANNED

I've always enjoyed Vogglio D Pizza on 14th St. The Mexicana pizza is quite delicious - just make sure you specify thin crust when you order.

When I lived in Connaught that was a regular weekend meal... Now that I am out in the 'burbs - well... I have only found one great place for a pie down where I am - Coach and Horses pub in Millrise. A real gem wayyy down south. Great menu all around.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 1:35 AM

The donair pizza from Seniore's Pizza in Beddington. Enough said.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
What's everyones favourite pizza place in Calgary? I just had some Michael's for lunch and it's pretty good, but I have a hard time believing it won best pizza a couple times.
I am a huge fan of WOP in Inglewood - one of the best crusts in the city, IMO. For a similar style pie closer to home, I like Pimento's in Bridgeland.

If I feel like a heavy, cheesy, pub-style pie, Atlas Pizza at the East end of Memorial is my go-to place.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:00 PM

George's - Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I don't mind George's on 17th, but their steaks are better. The don't hold a candle to the original George's in Ramsay. RIP. I once phoned the one in Ramsay from Cuba so I'd have a pizza waiting for me when I landed. That made me a living legend there. Shame they closed.

I noticed today that the pizza place on 11th ST that took over California Pizza's old spot has shuttered. I'm praying to every god I know that California will rise from the ashes and reopen.

As far a current places go. I've yet to find one that I like as much as George's or California.
A few years ago, I screwed up and had no reservation for Valentine's dinner with my wife, so we ordered Steak from George's and had take out in front the fireplace at home

Later that night we found out that my wife was pregnant with our first, so we'll always have a soft spot for that place.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:05 PM

Deep Dish

Quote:
What's everyones favourite pizza place in Calgary? I just had some Michael's for lunch and it's pretty good, but I have a hard time believing it won best pizza a couple times.
If you're ever in the mood for a deep-dish type pizza, Spiros has some really good, rich and hearty pizza. The one with all the lamb and garlic is really good, although the pizzas are quite expensive, as far as pizzas go.

Just in case any old Winnipegers on the board recognize it, my all-time favorite pizza was what used to be called Angelo's Pizza (then Big Boy) was incredible!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

earl69, I live a few paces from Vogglio and don't even bother anymore. When Luis first opened I thought it (my first pie was the Mexicana) was one of the most spectacular pizzas I'd ever had. But each of the last three times, the crust has been almost inedible- hard as drywall, really horrible. The toppings are still amazing but bad crust is bad pizza. I walk a few feet further north if I want thin crust and go to Rio. Very competent pizza and a great price.

I've become an inveterate fan of what somebody at chowhound calls "bar pizza" but which I've also come to know as "Greek pizza" and even as "Regina style pizza," which is the style on the raised foccaccia style crust that's buttery and crispy with thick, thick toppings and a sauce that has a Greek patina to it (cinnamon is one ingredient). My faves are Nick's (the one on 14th) and Sophies. Oh, Nicks sells fries- they're a side with their steak dinners but you can get an order by themselves, off the menu. They're SUPERB.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:44 AM
not a NIMBY

I had a great dinner at Ox and Angela tonight. I have eaten in the bar once before, which is a different menu, but tonight was my first time on the left side.
We had a bottle of still water on the table and our glasses and the bottle were kept topped up.

The waiter asked if we would like bread. I guess bread is the new health hazard and people don't want bread delivered to their table automatically, so now they ask before they serve it. I said yes and it was very good whole grain slices of bread served with Turkish olive oil and Maldon sea salt.

We both had the squash salad to start. The cubes of butternut squash and goat cheese added some substance to the greens.
My friend had the paella which she enjoyed but she said she preferred the version that La Paella on 6 Ave used to offer. She said the rice was very filling but she ate it all.
I had a strip loin with various types of mushrooms sauteed topped with paprika lime butter. The butter is my new favourite taste!
We shared a plate of greens with what tasted like pickled stewed cherry tomatoes with the skin off, and there were tiny round crisp potato chips scattered on top.
I had a couple of San Miguel beers, she had a glass of Argentinian malbec.

Our waiter, and all the staff I encountered were first rate. Always taking the time to fill water glasses and ask how we were enjoying it, but not hovering or being too enthusiastic and fake cheery.
The waiter mentioned the menu in the new year is going to shift to more of a Spanish influence from the original Latin/South American style.
We're lucky we have so many great choices for dining in Calgary. I should get out more often!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:30 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Great review, JImby. We went to Ox and Angela for the first time after the Prince concert weds night, had a couple of drinks and snacks (ceviche and empanadas). Although all in it was easily four or five times what we would've paid for the same things in Chile, it was unique for Calgary and a really, really nice space and vibe.

Love to see Quilmes and Caribe (!) on the beer menu.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam View Post
A few years ago, I screwed up and had no reservation for Valentine's dinner with my wife, so we ordered Steak from George's and had take out in front the fireplace at home

Later that night we found out that my wife was pregnant with our first, so we'll always have a soft spot for that place.
Wow, pregnancy tests are VERY immediate these days!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 7:28 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Couple of reviews:

Montreal Bagel - Located on the SE corner of Elbow and Heritage drives this is BY FAR my favourite bagel join in the city. Owned by a couple from Sri Lanka who originally set up in Montreal they moved to Calgary and quietly set up Montreal bagel over 10 years ago. It's a very simple place but the key is their wood burning over and he glorious smokey smell when you walk in. The bagels are all traditional style and come in 4 varieties: plain, sesame, poppy seed and multigrain (a traditional white bagel with grains sprinkled on top). These bagels aren't huge they are small but outstanding. Additionally, they serve one of the BEST Montreal smoked meat bagel in town ($7.00). The meat actualy is shipped in from Montreal and it phenomenal. The only fault is that because the bagels are small the meat is literally piled on to them so it a messy sandwich. They also offer bagels and cream cheese, lox and cream cheese w. red onion and a pb&j bagel. If you haven't had a Montreal Bagel I strongly suggest you check it out. $8.50 for a dozen bagels.

We had dinner last night at Crete Souvlaki. This is the greek joint on 17th Ave W. that is attached to the gas station (one of the oddest combos I have ever seen) That being said, the food was actually really good and quite affordable. We had lamb souvlaki, pita and greek salad along with a huge portion or Calamari. We topped it off with 2 Ismaili style samosas for $21 bucks. Quite a good deal. It's not the worlds best souvlaki as the claim but ti is pretty darn good and served with a smile.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 9:30 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Couple of reviews:

Montreal Bagel - Located on the SE corner of Elbow and Heritage drives this is BY FAR my favourite bagel join in the city. Owned by a couple from Sri Lanka who originally set up in Montreal they moved to Calgary and quietly set up Montreal bagel over 10 years ago. It's a very simple place but the key is their wood burning over and he glorious smokey smell when you walk in. The bagels are all traditional style and come in 4 varieties: plain, sesame, poppy seed and multigrain (a traditional white bagel with grains sprinkled on top). These bagels aren't huge they are small but outstanding. Additionally, they serve one of the BEST Montreal smoked meat bagel in town ($7.00). The meat actualy is shipped in from Montreal and it phenomenal. The only fault is that because the bagels are small the meat is literally piled on to them so it a messy sandwich. They also offer bagels and cream cheese, lox and cream cheese w. red onion and a pb&j bagel. If you haven't had a Montreal Bagel I strongly suggest you check it out. $8.50 for a dozen bagels.

We had dinner last night at Crete Souvlaki. This is the greek joint on 17th Ave W. that is attached to the gas station (one of the oddest combos I have ever seen) That being said, the food was actually really good and quite affordable. We had lamb souvlaki, pita and greek salad along with a huge portion or Calamari. We topped it off with 2 Ismaili style samosas for $21 bucks. Quite a good deal. It's not the worlds best souvlaki as the claim but ti is pretty darn good and served with a smile.
did you get gas and fuel?
good to know about the bagel place, I have never been and I used to live out that way.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:28 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Note that Crete isn't halal- not that a Greek place is supposed to be, but they do use the same space on the flat top to cook the pork souvlaki as everything else. But I agree that it's excellent.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 5:30 AM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Sort of off topic, but.. not worthy of its own thread.

Can anyone let me know if the Black and Decker Burr Grinder ($39 at Walmart/Superstore) is as good as the $100 burr grinders that are often sold in high-end coffee shops?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 7:14 AM
not a NIMBY

here's a comment I found on the Canadian Tire website where it gets 2 1/2 stars out of 5:

"This is a terrible grinder. Even the minimum grind setting is too coarse. Many grains as large as half bean size come out. Electric static charge builds up while grinding making the operation of this grinder very messy. I seriously wonder whether the manufacturer even tested this grinder before production."

I have no personal experience with the product.
I have a Breville burr, but I stopped making coffee at home a couple of weeks ago and I just have the occasional cup when I'm out. I put the coffee maker and grinder away, but I'm keeping them in case I have visitors who might want coffee.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:43 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
here's a comment I found on the Canadian Tire website where it gets 2 1/2 stars out of 5:

"This is a terrible grinder. Even the minimum grind setting is too coarse. Many grains as large as half bean size come out. Electric static charge builds up while grinding making the operation of this grinder very messy. I seriously wonder whether the manufacturer even tested this grinder before production."

I have no personal experience with the product.
I have a Breville burr, but I stopped making coffee at home a couple of weeks ago and I just have the occasional cup when I'm out. I put the coffee maker and grinder away, but I'm keeping them in case I have visitors who might want coffee.
Thanks for the info! Do you recommend the Breville Burr grinder?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:54 PM

I had the B&D, but I killed it...
I found that the grind was good, but yes it was messy.

Haven't bought another, I just get my wife to grind it at work (*$)

SSP y u no let me have image here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation