HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 1:54 AM

Uniqlo Plans Two-Story Flagship at The Bloc in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2018/05/29/uni...n-downtown-la/

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 5:00 AM

So I was lurking at the SF skyline on Instagram and noticed that almost all condos have LED lights at the top of the crown/parapet. Are there any plans of LED light installation on our new/under construction towers? 820 Olive, Circa, Metropolis just to name a few would look badass.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 5:08 AM

^^^ I'm sorry, not LED lights. Floodlights*

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

Uniqlo Plans Two-Story Flagship at The Bloc in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2018/05/29/uni...n-downtown-la/
This is great.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 6:41 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
Saturday 5/26

1120 Grand Ave.

Is it just me or are my eyes/picture playing tricks on me or does it appear to be tapering as it goes up? Maybe its just a weird play with camera angles and etc.

I honestly lost interest in this building when I saw they cheapened the façade but if it in facts tapers, I might take a look at it again as a bit of redemption.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:41 PM

So Angels Landing is now already being planned as a 1000 footer (1020'), with the highest roof line in the west. Too bad it's going to take so long to build...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...530-story.html

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:55 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post
So Angels Landing is now already being planned as a 1000 footer (1020'), with the highest roof line in the west. Too bad it's going to take so long to build...

Looks great, but starting to be nervous about how pedestrian friendly that plaza is. I'm seeing a lot of blank walls...

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post

May not be finished until 2024???? 6 years possibly???? A whole lot could happen in that interim, Fall into an economic recession again, and project cancelled?

I get the 80 to appeal to Chinese buyers, it's their favorite lucky number. A number of towers in China reach 88 floors. And I thought, originally, this tower was to go up to 88 floors!

So the priciest units will be 8, 17 (1+7=8), 26, 35, 44 (nah! they're superstitious about 4's), 53, 62, 71, and 80?????

All this 8 business! They're building a hotel in Las Vegas @17 floors, and the original Alon towers: 17 and 26 floors!

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

I am also concerned about the ground level experience. Its too jumbled and not cohesive. They are so in love with all the terraces and levels and stairways it has lost any sense of elegance (IMO). My suggestion to them is to greatly simplify the base of the building and likewise with the "grounds" surrounding the subway station.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:16 PM

Well it could be interesting. Its actually only going to take 2 years to build, kind of on par with the WG and other major projects downtown. But they are intentionally waiting 3-4 years to get the ball rolling because MacFarlane at the end said

"It's not going to be financed in this cycle,unless this cycle breaks all kinds of length records. We are three to four years from breaking ground."

Also interesting.

"The tallest? We are striving for it. We definitely want to be able to say that," said co-developer Victor MacFarlane, chairman of MacFarlane Partners.

Right..... At 1,020 ft tall (dont get me wrong, im grateful) it will only knock out the US bank building by two feet and claim second tallest in LA and 3rd in the west.......Unless they intentionally plan on waiting to pull a rabbit out of their A$$ to give us something over 1,100 ft when in that case i'll gladly wait. I just hate that if they do go taller, its going to throw the skyline off center when looking from the south or north and even east.

Id much rather the 9th/fig tower go much taller in the 1,200 range. It will still keep the skyline at some kind of center when everything gets completed around it.

Last edited by caligrad; May 30, 2018 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Well it could be interesting. Its actually only going to take 2 years to build, kind of on par with the WG and other major projects downtown. But they are intentionally waiting 3-4 years to get the ball rolling because MacFarlane at the end said

"It's not going to be financed in this cycle,unless this cycle breaks all kinds of length records. We are three to four years from breaking ground."

Also interesting.

"The tallest? We are striving for it. We definitely want to be able to say that," said co-developer Victor MacFarlane, chairman of MacFarlane Partners.

Right..... At 1,020 ft tall (dont get me wrong, im grateful) it will only knock out the US bank building by two feet and claim second tallest in LA and 3rd in the west.......Unless they intentionally plan on waiting to pull a rabbit out of their A$$ to give us something over 1,100 ft when in that case i'll gladly wait. I just hate that if they do go taller, its goign to throw the skyline off center when looking from the south or north and even east.

Id much rather the 9t/fig tower go much taller in the 1200 range. It will still keep the skyline at some kind of center when everything gets completed around it.
We might get lucky! Surely there has to be somebody that understands the skyline at large. 9th and Fig tower should eclipse 1100 at least.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:33 PM

2018 could be an exciting year.

http://urbanize.la/post/3-d-model-pr...-avenue-towers

Grand Ave is slated to start this fall. That's only a handful months away! What other projects do you guys seeing breaking ground before the end of the year?

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:50 PM
life is good

This darn cycle just won't die, will it

4th and Broadway is coming along nicely

4th and Broadway DTLA by robb, on Flickr

4th and Broadway DTLA by robb, on Flickr

Anybody know what project this is in the Arts District?

Arts District by robb, on Flickr

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:

Also interesting.

Right..... At 1,020 ft tall (dont get me wrong, im grateful) it will only knock out the US bank building by two feet and claim second tallest in LA and 3rd in the west.......Unless they intentionally plan on waiting to pull a rabbit out of their A$$ to give us something over 1,100 ft when in that case i'll gladly wait. I just hate that if they do go taller, its going to throw the skyline off center when looking from the south or north and even east.

Id much rather the 9th/fig tower go much taller in the 1,200 range. It will still keep the skyline at some kind of center when everything gets completed around it.
I honestly don't care if Angels Landing goes over 1,100 ft and throws the skyline off center. 1WTC is way off the center of Manhattan. Same thing goes for the Houston and Miami skyline and now the SF skyline with Salesforce Tower when looked from the Mission District and Potrero Hill.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
2018 could be an exciting year.

http://urbanize.la/post/3-d-model-pr...-avenue-towers

Grand Ave is slated to start this fall. That's only a handful months away! What other projects do you guys seeing breaking ground before the end of the year?
I’m waiting to hear whether the city is going to approve the Herzog + de Meuron towers in arts district. It’s been a year since we’ve heard news mentioning it. I think that’s not a good sign.

I think we’re nearing the end of the investment cycle, judging by how much less I see big projects come up on Urbanize.com. But LA added 18-19K people last year. So if we added around that much in new housing last year, we still wouldn’t have put much a dent in the housing crisis. The demand is still there for investors. With housing being a priority with Newsom and Villairagosa, we could start a whole other investment cycle, even if China won’t be participating as much.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:

Also interesting.
What “cycle” is he talking about? How is he defining it for financing? Because if he’s talking about cycles they way we talk about them, it’s going to take about a decade to swing down and back around, not in 4 years.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball;8205026
Anybody know what project this is in the Arts District?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26AscHo
[/url]Arts District by robb, on Flickr
Best guess is that it's this:

http://urbanize.la/post/arts-distric...s-above-ground

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:12 AM

http://www.globest.com/2018/05/29/la...20180431020732

Quote:
LAFC Plants Headquarters In DTLA
Quote:
“If you are going to have your team in Downtown Los Angeles, you should office downtown. A lot of other sports teams haven’t done that, so this is unique. I think that it is something help legitimize downtown as a home base for this team.”

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:20 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I honestly don't care if Angels Landing goes over 1,100 ft and throws the skyline off center. 1WTC is way off the center of Manhattan. Same thing goes for the Houston and Miami skyline and now the SF skyline with Salesforce Tower when looked from the Mission District and Potrero Hill.
I think comparing cities no matter the circumstances is always a sticky situation. What works for other cities may not necessarily work for LA. But I'll say each of those cities skylines, having visited all of them, actually work with their natural and urban environments so I cant see the comparison. But I would never knock any development (only if it weren't dense enough), I just don't want the skyline to look lopsided since it would immediately trigger my OCDs haha but its honestly not a big deal. I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
What “cycle” is he talking about? How is he defining it for financing? Because if he’s talking about cycles they way we talk about them, it’s going to take about a decade to swing down and back around, not in 4 years.
I have no clue hahaha I just thought it was interesting seeing that quote in the article, especially when everyone hammers hunter every time he even breathes the word "Cycle" haha. In my unprofessional opinion, I don't see why it cant be built now? I mean.... LA is in a huge housing crisis, I would expect developers to be rushing in to buy up property to develop and the city would be approving projects left and right with ease. But that's only in a perfect world aka the rest of the world, apparently.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:22 AM

The article for angels landing said its still tentative, right after the article mentioned the spire on top of the WG.... and then after they said it was all tentative they mentioned they would like the bragging right to the tallest.

Does this hint is that they may alter its top??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations