HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:13 PM

Laporte, PA

Laporte is a borough in North Central Pennsylvania and is the seat of Sullivan County. Laporte has a population of just under 300, and is the smallest county seat by population in Pennsylvania.

A house on Main Street.

The Sullivan County Courthouse, on Main Street. The courthouse was built in 1894.

A house on Main Street at King Street.

Laporte United Methodist Church, on Main Street.

A house on Park Street.

A house on Cherry Street.

A mansion on Meylert Street.

Houses on Main Street.

Businesses on Main Street.

The Baldwin House Museum, on Muncy Street. The house was built in 1850.

A house on Muncy Street.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:18 PM
Honored Member

Interesting contrast between the mansion and most of the other houses. There are some remote areas and tiny villages in that part of the state, compared with the southern part.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:39 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 6:24 PM

Neat little place. I like the courthouse.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 6:36 PM
Eurosceptic

I've always wanted to see Laporte... Sullivan County (pop. 6,500) is one of PA's "micro-counties" in terms of population... along with Cameron and Forest... it peaked in 1900 at 12,000 and it's been downhill ever since. I hope you got some photos of Sullivan County's largest town, Dushore, as well!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:10 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Neat

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:14 AM

Wow. Never thought I'd see Sullivan County represented on this board. You should have stopped in Eagles Mere, 6 miles east, an old 19th century resort town that time forgot. My folks have a place there.

Be sure to stop at the Sullivan County Roadhouse to eat. It's just a mile south of Laporte on 220. You can choose from the Nascar Room, the John Deere Room, or the Harley Room. Hilarious! Seriously, the food is quite good.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice little town. The mansion looked pretty cool!! Nice courthouse as well!!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 1:31 AM
Resident Jackass

The mansion kind of reminds me of the Asa Packer mansion in Jim Thorpe. I'd love to check out the attic of the courthouse.

Thanks for the tour!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I've always wanted to see Laporte... Sullivan County (pop. 6,500) is one of PA's "micro-counties" in terms of population... along with Cameron and Forest... it peaked in 1900 at 12,000 and it's been downhill ever since. I hope you got some photos of Sullivan County's largest town, Dushore, as well!
I only got one picture of Dushore:

I took a pictures of it while waiting at the one traffic light in the county. I thought it was interesting to see a building right over top of a creek, in a plce where land is more than abundant. It hsa to be some kind of old lumber or mining building, but I don't know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
Wow. Never thought I'd see Sullivan County represented on this board. You should have stopped in Eagles Mere, 6 miles east, an old 19th century resort town that time forgot. My folks have a place there.

Be sure to stop at the Sullivan County Roadhouse to eat. It's just a mile south of Laporte on 220. You can choose from the Nascar Room, the John Deere Room, or the Harley Room. Hilarious! Seriously, the food is quite good.
I did pass the Sullivan County Roadhouse, and thought about stopping for lunch, but I was in a rush to get to some other places so I passed it. Maybe another time.

I might have to see Eagles Mere some time. How would you compare it to Laporte? Laporte was definitely nothing worth seeing again, and it would be pretty easy to look better than it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
The mansion kind of reminds me of the Asa Packer mansion in Jim Thorpe. I'd love to check out the attic of the courthouse.

Thanks for the tour!
That mansion did remind me of the Asa Packer Mansion a little bit as well. This mansion is also like the Asa Packer Mansion in that it's on a hillside, up above the main part of town.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:51 PM

There are no mines in Dushore, wasn't a lumber town either. The little red building with the bell cupola was the fire house for over fifty years.. Dushore was a Mill town and the center of commerce and trade in Sullivan County, still is for the most part.

It was built on the Susquehanna and Tioga Turnpike; a cross roads town, per se. Two railroads, a large creamery, several grist mills - two of which still stand with evidence of their prior use; a multitude of factories. It's changed a lot over the past thirty years, it was quite large with in the confines of the borough limits.

Age, disrepair, lack of respect for historic value and fire, all played parts in Dushore looking like the one-horse town it does today. Since about the 1870's, that creek has had structures built over top it. Adding the extremely large-decked bridge, it's almost easy to miss the fact that a creek goes under the road. A fire in 1983 took every building in that section, the fire house was built to survive a block fire. When a fire stream is directed upon it's metal siding, neither direct flame nor radiant heat will bring it down.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:31 PM

I love the look of that mansion. Nice town, thanks!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:31 PM

I know the area well, its right near best camping spot in PA...World's End State Park. I think the tourism industry up there is pretty big actually.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos