HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, why do comments like this always come from Americans? Are they so insular they just can't imagine being interested in anywhere else?
Yes, one can be interested in anywhere else, in fact many Americans are, including myself.

My question was directed at Capsicum, because he often asks about US-related stuff, and hardly anything about other countries, including his own.

So that's where my question was coming from. It's like, why (on his part) all the interest in the US? I thought that was clear when I asked that the FIRST time.

---Hugo Chávez

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the sooner we're all one brown androgynous blob the better humanity will be
That won’t happen. Identity in the future will be based on one’s virtual skin and desire/capability for gene editing. Even in Africa they have preferences for lighter skin and eyes. White skin won’t be preferable. This will be the look of the future, IMO.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:36 PM

What does Trump’s “merit-based” immigration plan mean for Indians?

https://qz.com/india/1622593/beyond-...-help-indians/

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

So essentially what you're saying is, homogeneity is good; diversity is bad.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I know this comment was tongue in cheek but this is a looooong way into the future.

What I do think will happen within a shorter time frame is that being mixed race is going to be associated with high education levels, affluence and cosmopolitanism whereas racial "purity" will be associated with populations the undeveloped world or provincial areas within the developed world. My guess is we're only a few generations away from this sort of natural association being commonplace. This just seems to be a natural outcome of the current pattern of which types of people are mixing races and which ones are not.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
I know this comment was tongue in cheek but this is a looooong way into the future.

What I do think will happen within a shorter time frame is that being mixed race is going to be associated with high education levels, affluence and cosmopolitanism whereas racial "purity" will be associated with populations the undeveloped world or provincial areas within the developed world. My guess is we're only a few generations away from this sort of natural association being commonplace. This just seems to be a natural outcome of the current pattern of which types of people are mixing races and which ones are not.
Attitudes would still have to shift a long way for that.

If we look at the places in the world that do have mixed race people as majority or a large percentage (where "mixed race" means a combination of ancestries from different world regions separated geographically but then coming together in the last few centuries) like Latin America, the Caribbean, you don't see that quite yet.

You still see, for instance people favoring one side -- for example, in Latin American places where many people are mixed European and African descent or European and Native American, or both, the more European-looking people are favored in terms of beauty standards. And that's not even getting into things like the "one drop rule" in places like the US or other parts of the west that (even though it's "officially" long gone, informally people still act like traces of that mindset remain) act so that mixes between white and black (or white and non-white) are typically seen more as the black side or non-white than white.

So long as people still cling to categorization, and treat the categorizations as different in some way, we won't solve that problem. You might get "colorism", treating people differently based on the spectrum of shades of variation, rather than "racism" in the categorical way we know it, but that's not good either.

Even when mixed race people look "brown", they are not homogenous, by luck some people look more like one parent than another, and until we stop favoring which "side" is treated more like the ideal beauty "standard", and until all kinds of variation in racial appearance are treated fairly equally, the prejudice won't go away.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:43 PM

And this may be even further off, but when genetic engineering as previously mentioned makes people be able to choose their kids' looks, that might be even more of a wild card.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:12 PM

Genetic engineering is here already, it’s just being kept low key because of ethical considerations.

The comment about mixed race and level of affluence/education is interesting. I wouldn’t exactly reference Brazil as a counter argument, because Brazil’s mixed race society was built under extremely different circumstances than modern day America.

There is a natural inclination in the US for modern mixed race people to excel significantly in comparison to the overall population. It will be interesting to see how that phenomena interacts with the seeming global preference for fairer skin.

A very simplistic and unsophisticated preference at that. Rooted from feudal times. Poor field worker = dark skin from sun, wealthy not work in field = light skin. Wealthy = better. Light = better, dark = bad. Nighttime = scary (can’t see) = dark. Not clean = darker. Put it all together Watson.

Thoughts from humans with darker tones due to environmental adaptation = The gods must be crazy!

Comical really.

Last edited by liat91; Jun 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 10:18 PM

If the US enters a new Cold War with China that might be a factor in terms of immigration.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:39 PM

If Trump wins a 2nd term, Asian immigration to the USA may have already peaked. It's lower this year than before. There are procedural crackdowns on all immigration into the USA, not only illegals from south of the border. It's harder to get a visa for anyone, and that's started to effect immigration levels from China, India, etc.

Chinese immigration will probably slow down anyway, because China is not that poor anymore, and the birthrate there is far below replacement level.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:09 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I have a suspicion that immigration will slow down substantially in the next few years. The Trump admin has done a lot to crimp legal immigration, and then regardless of what happens in 2020 there is likely to be a recession. Beyond that is anyone's guess, but with immigration such a hot topic politically, it could be impossible to bring numbers back up to what they were originally.

This could be the beginning of the US's long predicted population peak, IMO. Coming a lot sooner than anticipated, which is worrying. I was hoping we'd crack 400 million but I guess not.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I have a suspicion that immigration will slow down substantially in the next few years. The Trump admin has done a lot to crimp legal immigration, and then regardless of what happens in 2020 there is likely to be a recession. Beyond that is anyone's guess, but with immigration such a hot topic politically, it could be impossible to bring numbers back up to what they were originally.

This could be the beginning of the US's long predicted population peak, IMO. Coming a lot sooner than anticipated, which is worrying. I was hoping we'd crack 400 million but I guess not.
As far as current legal immigration levels go I have heard different things from different sources. Some publications say that legal immigration has declined under Trump while restrictionist will say Trump has kept the status quo.

I'd like to see the official numbers we let in each year. Trump's seems to be in favor of a merit based immigration system, and as Canada shows would probably lead to an increase in overall Asian immigration.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions