HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Maybe. And that points out something important... a lot of these tech nerds are not rich, and even if they are, they're definitely not cool, nor is how they make their money.
Might you be projecting a little? I hang out in the Ace Hotel in NYC sometimes. Most of the people there aren't even in tech.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:21 PM

most write-ups like this are largely hyperbole.. but not this one

still pretty, but ugh to losing the soul

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Pittsburgh has seen a big influx of "tech types" over the past decade. With them has come money, and that has given us better restaurants.

But other than that, computer nerds fucking suck.
I suppose it depends on your dining preferences but mine have always leaned toward inexpensive family-owned/run places that tend to be some form of "ethnic". We have lost thiose because they can't pay $15/hr minimums for dishwashers plus all the mandated benefits and stay in business.

But no doubt we have gained upper end restaurants for those, like 22 year olds making 6-figure starting salaries and people on expense accounts, who like spending a couple of Benjamins on dinner:

Quote:
Michelin’s Stars
San Francisco’s Restaurants Still Outclass New York
The Bay Area dominates the Michelin three-star category. Let the cross-continent sniping begin.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...estaurant-game

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:29 PM

I think rating a city's food scene by Michelin stars is really stupid and problematic.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
sadly i never got to go to lucca as they were always closed by the time i would get back to the mission from the southbay and i would just head to another italian import shop in the north shore to buy giardenera imported from Chicago
They may be selling that at Safeway--I bought it somewhere other than Lucca and "sport peppers" too--but flourescent green relish is nowhere to be found. Again, the solution is the internet where you can buy it and have it delivered by lunch tomorrow.

By the way, there used to be a little hot dog stand in the remnants of a deco gas station on the Howard St. corner where the Facebook-leased "Park Tower" now stands that sold an excellent "Chicago Style" dog and also a very good New York dog with Sabrett's onion relish. But they are replaced now by 43 floors of glass.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I think rating a city's food scene by Michelin stars is really stupid and problematic.
Of course you do. But that isn't what I did so what's your point? Michelin stars do represent a way of ranking a city's high end dining which matters to those being critcized but not to me. They do not describe the breadth of the "food scene" because, as I explained, in San Francisco we are seeing the "food scene' lose interest for many of us as we gain Michelin stars.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:42 PM

New title: "How Tech made San Francisco One of the Wealthiest Cities in World History"

I have very little sympathy for rich snoots decrying gentrification, dont expect me to feel bad for the poor little rich girl that is San Francisco.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:03 PM

The New Yorker has taken up the chant. Here's their version of life in SF:

Quote:
(Protesting Uber drivers demonstrated) a sense of solidarity, defiance, and creative resistance—a feeling that the strike marked a sea change. A group carried signs in Chinese: one read “Uber exploits drivers,” employing a homonym for Uber that translates, loosely, to “the thing that removes skin.” Others held signs addressing Uber’s C.E.O., Dara Khosrowshahi: “Dara, I can’t pay my rent. How’s your $17 million mansion?”

The protesters marched around the block, obstructing traffic. Marching with them, the Brass Liberation Orchestra—a local group that has been performing at progressive demonstrations since the early aughts—played a rendition of the Eurythmics song “Sweet Dreams.” The procession passed a cashless food truck selling Filipino-fusion burritos and a matte black, twenty-six-foot mobile trailer run by Studio Dental, which has been dubbed “the Uber of dentistry.” (The company offers a tech-forward experience: inside, patients are greeted by remote support staff who appear via video chat, on tablets; they’re offered noise-cancelling headphones and encouraged to “catch up on Netflix” while their teeth are cleaned.) Behind them, the Salesforce Tower loomed. It opened early last year; it’s the city’s tallest building and looks like a gigantic nose-hair trimmer. “We want our dignity back,” a protester chanted, into a megaphone. People wearing tech-casual outfits glanced out the windows of a Peet’s Coffee with expressions of mild curiosity . . . .

Almost everyone I know is down on San Francisco these days, and for good reason. Few can envision a future here. The city is undergoing an accelerated identity transformation. On pastel blocks, developers are gutting elegant Victorians and mid-century homes and painting them staid shades of gray. Traffic congestion is spiking, boosted by rideshare vehicles. Fundamental civic infrastructure is in crisis, despite the city’s new wealth: teachers are leaving, and the 911 dispatch center is understaffed. The emerging city is a tapestry of boutique fitness studios and finicky New American restaurants, of private clubs (including one for dogs) and cryotherapy spas. Fast-casual restaurants cater to the efficiency-oriented; a newly opened salad shop, Mixt, offers a mood-lit, wallpapered “salad lounge.” Upscale cafés proliferate, some of them backed by venture capital: investors have put seventy-five million dollars into Philz, a local third-wave coffee chain . . . .
https://www.newyorker.com/news/lette...-buy-happiness

PS: I LIKE Philz. Coffee is $5/cup but they have 3 blends of Arabica decaf. I have to drink decaf. The other coffee sellers look at you funny if you ask for it. The tech world is highly caffeinated. But I do miss the old Mission and North beach coffee shops with second hand sofas to lounge on--all day if you want and no purchase really necessary.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

I find the complaints against ride-share companies to be really self destructive.

The entire business model for Lyft/Uber drivers is for part time gig drivers to undercut the cost structures of Cab companies. If these people want to be full time drivers for Uber/Lyft then they lose the freedom and cheap costs of doing business that allow those companies to even exist.

If you want to be a chauffeur full time there are other companies that will keep you as an employee and give you the benefits of, and restrictions of, being an employee.

Its like taking a part time job and then complaining you arent a full time employee. That isnt the job you signed up for, why are you complaining.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:17 PM
Paradise Island

Michelin stars don't really mean much in the US. Of course I would love to have one, but they are based on a 20th century francocentric view of gastronomy (not necessarily French food, but the French idea of what dining should be). It doesn't translate to North America very well. North American dining culture is much less formal, and much less fussy about things like the crystal, the china, the decor of the restaurant and formal service. North American restaurants tend to be focused primarily on food and drink. The first Michelin star is for the food, the other two stars are for all the bullshit stuff.

The problem with San Francisco's dining scene is that it is almost impossible for cooks to afford to live there. New York has a similar issue. They still have excellent dining scenes, but they aren't the talent magnets they were 20 or 30 years ago. It is a big part of why most second and third tier cities in the US now have good to great food scenes. That is where young cooks are going now to learn their craft.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

PS: I LIKE Philz. Coffee is $5/cup but they have 3 blends of Arabica decaf. I have to drink decaf. The other coffee sellers look at you funny if you ask for it. The tech world is highly caffeinated. But I do miss the old Mission and North beach coffee shops with second hand sofas to lounge on--all day if you want and no purchase really necessary.
The author lives in San Francisco.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:18 PM

still hopeful Chicago is big enough with areas still poor enough that some happy medium can be reached as gentrification spreads

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Might you be projecting a little? I hang out in the Ace Hotel in NYC sometimes. Most of the people there aren't even in tech.
I don't know... projecting what?

I don't doubt what you say about the Ace in NYC... I imagine that it's probably a cool place then. I specifically said the Ace Hotel lobby bar in Pittsburgh.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:41 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I better make my visit soon. I want to experience San Francisco before it loses much of what made it San Francisco in the first place.

Continue improving until the end.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I find the complaints against ride-share companies to be really self destructive.

The entire business model for Lyft/Uber drivers is for part time gig drivers to undercut the cost structures of Cab companies. If these people want to be full time drivers for Uber/Lyft then they lose the freedom and cheap costs of doing business that allow those companies to even exist.

If you want to be a chauffeur full time there are other companies that will keep you as an employee and give you the benefits of, and restrictions of, being an employee.

Its like taking a part time job and then complaining you arent a full time employee. That isnt the job you signed up for, why are you complaining.
Currently the business model is to subsidize rides until self driving cars happen.

There’s a point when you push too far and your workers have had enough, which looks to be after another pay cut.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:08 PM

Soon the only jobs in tech will be innovation. AI will easily take over almost all the jobs in computing. What happens then to SV, the location of nearly the most geographically concentrated industry in world history.

That will be one for the books.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
Soon the only jobs in tech will be innovation. AI will easily take over almost all the jobs in computing. What happens then to SV, the location of nearly the most geographically concentrated industry in world history.

Assuming these companies turn a profit.

.... I say that in jest.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post

The only thing about that is... innovation is not a job.

It's just a fancy way to say an idea, or way of doing things, or product.

It's something that comes about in the process of completing an actual job.. like computing.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:00 AM

Tech has done good things for food in my area, in a way.

People thought "tens of thousands of six-figure incomes" and rolled out high-minded sit-down restaurants. These generally didn't do well.

But informal $14 ethnic food, tossed salads, and so on? Tons of that.

Just don't go to Amazonia at noon...lines everywhere. There's still an imbalance between the big lunch crowd and the small dinner/bar crowd, and rents are really high to open for two hours a day.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I better make my visit soon. I want to experience San Francisco before it loses much of what made it San Francisco in the first place.
Maybe you should wait. This is Tech Ruining SF v. 2.0. V 1.0 was in 1998 - 2000. Back then everybody was buying 2 bedroom lofts in SOMA and Porsche Boxsters. Now they are buying Audi SUVs and renovated Mission flats or condos in new glass towers near Rincon Hill. But from 2000, when the dot-com boom died and the bros working for those outfits left town and the new revival in the last few years, the old SF kind of revived. Likely it will again if the Supervisors drive the latest tech unicorns out of town with excessive taxes and regulations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions