HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
"Small fishing village"....where do you even come up with this stuff?
Dubai was a small fishing village until a few decades ago. The older urbanity is geographically limited, befitting its former status.
Quote:
The point I am making is that so many people on here are quick to hate on Dubai for lack of urbanity yet don't realize the vast majority of American cities fit the same bill.
Right, but people around the planet aren't flocking to exurban Dallas for vacation, nor do they consider such places glamorous and interesting. But they do go to Dubai.

My mother-in-law, who has never been to Europe, and has barely traveled outside of Latin America, blew many thousands on a weeklong "girls trip" to Dubai last year. I have no idea what a bunch of 60-something Mexican ladies would do there all week. Hang out in malls?

Quote:
Not saying its awesome, but compared to most American cities its barely different in its built form.
Correct, hence my confusion re. why people view Dubai as a glamorous tourist destination.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Dubai was a small fishing village until a few decades ago. The older urbanity is geographically limited, befitting its former status.

Right, but people around the planet aren't flocking to exurban Dallas for vacation, nor do they consider such places glamorous and interesting. But they do go to Dubai.

My mother-in-law, who has never been to Europe, and has barely traveled outside of Latin America, blew many thousands on a weeklong "girls trip" to Dubai last year. I have no idea what a bunch of 60-something Mexican ladies would do there all week. Hang out in malls?

Correct, hence my confusion re. why people view Dubai as a glamorous tourist destination.
The part about your mother-in-law made me laugh. I don't know man what some people do there. I am sure a lot go there just to post pictures on Instagram to look rich? I don't know.*

I went to the top of the tallest building of the world, rode one of the most modern metros in the world, went skydiving, road a camel in the desert and then had a fake 'arab' bbq, road some 4-wheelers out in the desert, spent a lot of time on the beach, yes...went to the mall a couple of times, enjoyed a movie in VIP seating where I go to lay down while watching Batman, enjoyed an amazing hotel at a great discount because of the time period I was there, went to the Wadi Wadi waterpark, ziplined in downtown Dubai, visited the Gold Souk and recreated original settlement, visited a beautiful mosque and brought home some cool crap between my 5 visits.

*I genuinely laughed at the story you mentioned about her, nothing malicious and of course I don't think she went there for insta pics, I meant that for other people, probably middle class people from the US and Europe.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
The part about your mother-in-law made me laugh. I don't know man what some people do there. I am sure a lot go there just to post pictures on Instagram to look rich? I don't know.*

I went to the top of the tallest building of the world, rode one of the most modern metros in the world, went skydiving, road a camel in the desert and then had a fake 'arab' bbq, road some 4-wheelers out in the desert, spent a lot of time on the beach, yes...went to the mall a couple of times, enjoyed a movie in VIP seating where I go to lay down while watching Batman, enjoyed an amazing hotel at a great discount because of the time period I was there, went to the Wadi Wadi waterpark, ziplined in downtown Dubai, visited the Gold Souk and recreated original settlement, visited a beautiful mosque and brought home some cool crap between my 5 visits.
My MIL might have done some of this stuff, I don't know. And I don't begrudge your (or her) interest in Dubai. I just think it's odd that someone who hasn't seen Paris, London or Rome, someone who has only been to NYC because her daughter lives there, someone who has never been to California, or even much of her own country, would blow thousands on a "girls" week in Dubai.

And my in-laws aren't wealthy. They're upper class for Mexican standards but probably have the same buying power as a lower middle class American household. Flying to Dubai is a big deal.

Also, it isn't like she lacks for glitzy highrises, shopping malls, modern metros, water parks, etc. She lives in the more affluent western side of Mexico City, which has all that in spades. And Mexican beaches are a thousand times better than Persian Gulf. She lives near Santa Fe, which is basically a Latin American mini-version of Sheikh Zayed Road.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:02 PM

Also, this is like 10 minutes from my in-laws house. How is this different from Dubai? Why travel halfway around the world when you have this in your backyard? Yeah, the buildings are shorter, and the weather better, but it's more or less the same.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-99.2255625

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Also, this is like 10 minutes from my in-laws house. How is this different from Dubai? Why travel halfway around the world when you have this in your backyard? Yeah, the buildings are shorter, and the weather better, but it's more or less the same.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-99.2255625
Man, people. I really don't know. We do some irrational things from time to time. I think Dubai is a 'bucket list' type place for people. My original trip there was a reward to myself for completing Arabic language training. It had skyscrapers, beaches for the gf, was "exotic", and was very safe compared to the rest of the middle east during the height of the Arab Spring. Too bad I got to practice my arabic zero times during my trip. I spoke more arabic in Paris.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Dubai is a city of 3 million people. Its skyscrapers and roads are reflective of a place ten times its size. The whole point of Dubai is that its buildings, roads, coastal developments, malls, etc. are oversized for the very POINT of being oversized. Skyscrapers and such didn't just pop up there because land values are high, and it's the most efficient way to gain residential or office space. It's all artificial and part of the whole show that Dubai's been putting on for a couple decades.
Actually, the metro area, or contiguous built up area you see on the map, is 6 million. And growing rapidly.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The "small fishing village" is larger and denser than anything in the US sunbelt. Atlanta, a city with a metro of 6 million, the same size as Dubai metro, has nothing remotely close. All you guys are hopeless. Ignorant and happy with it. More power to you.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisgone View Post
The "small fishing village" is larger and denser than anything in the US sunbelt. Atlanta, a city with a metro of 6 million, the same size as Dubai metro, has nothing remotely close. All you guys are hopeless. Ignorant and happy with it. More power to you.
Who the fuck cares how Dubai compares to the US Sunbelt? You obviously have some attachment to the place, while many of us think it's an ostentatious, tacky city largely built by slave labor (hey hey, there's your connection the US sunbelt). Agree to disagree, my dude.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
The "small fishing village" is larger and denser than anything in the US sunbelt.
Putting aside the fact that you're wrong (there are five Sunbelt cities larger than Dubai; and one is many multiples bigger), and your inability to read (Dubai was a small fishing village, it isn't one presently), what does this have to do with the thread premise?

People are traveling halfway around the world to visit Dubai because it's big and dense? Is this why Orlando is a huge tourist destination? Why isn't Jakarta the planet's biggest tourist destination?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Putting aside the fact that you're wrong (there are five Sunbelt cities larger than Dubai; and one is many multiples bigger), and your inability to read (Dubai was a small fishing village, it isn't one presently), what does this have to do with the thread premise?

People are traveling halfway around the world to visit Dubai because it's big and dense? Is this why Orlando is a huge tourist destination? Why isn't Jakarta the planet's biggest tourist destination?
My point was that the dense, walkable, urban areas of Dubai, that you correctly stated it's not known for, surpass those of any city in the US sun belt. By far. That's very much true. And what the conversation has been about. I think Dubai is selling itself short by not marketing itself based on those attributes as well. They would attract a different kind of tourist that might not go otherwise. Seeing as their business sector, including marketing, is robust and incredibly dynamic, offering salaries and benefits that surpass most US cities if you're not just starting out, maybe I'll go do it myself I'd also get 30 days yearly vacation and be able to travel cheaply and quickly to some of the worlds most exotic locations and be closer to basically everywhere on earth that's not good old Murica. And to top it all off, in light of today's sad but all too common events, I wouldn't have to worry about getting gunned down in the process!

As for the OP, not my favorite development of all time. But more creative than anything being built here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:56 AM
Future God

Quote:
As for the OP, not my favorite development of all time. But more creative than anything being built here.
A mall with some trees in it is more creative than anything being built in the US?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Dubai, the Navy Pier of the world.
Exactly.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 9:24 AM

Dubai real estate broker or agent feel proud that they work in Dubai real estate business. Dubai is one of the best skyscrapers in the world. Everything is possible in Dubai. So many foreign investors invest in Dubai. The real estate broker or agents of Dubai are very active. One of the best examples is the Dubai Mega Mall.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
one is many multiples bigger
Which Sunbelt city are you referring to here ^? Are you considering Los Angeles to be a "Sunbelt city"?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
My point was that the dense, walkable, urban areas of Dubai, that you correctly stated it's not known for, surpass those of any city in the US sun belt. By far. That's very much true. And what the conversation has been about. I think Dubai is selling itself short by not marketing itself based on those attributes as well. They would attract a different kind of tourist that might not go otherwise. Seeing as their business sector, including marketing, is robust and incredibly dynamic, offering salaries and benefits that surpass most US cities if you're not just starting out, maybe I'll go do it myself I'd also get 30 days yearly vacation and be able to travel cheaply and quickly to some of the worlds most exotic locations and be closer to basically everywhere on earth that's not good old Murica. And to top it all off, in light of today's sad but all too common events, I wouldn't have to worry about getting gunned down in the process!

What got this ^ dude banned?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 6:40 PM

By the way, Dubai also lacks a key appeal to Americans because of global taxation by citizenship. Brits and Europeans go and work there for a few years to take advantage of the very low tax rate, but Americans don’t get that benefit.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:37 PM

Dubai is one best modern city whole over the world. The skyscrapers of the Dubai touch the sky, and the cloud seems under it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
What got this ^ dude banned?
I would like to know the reason as well

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I would like to know the reason as well
Will likely go unknown, the SSP forum illuminati don't care to tell.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 7:56 AM

The architectural technique of the buildings of Dubai gives proof that Dubai is Dubai, and it has no similarity worldwide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions