HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 10:54 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
Lophophora williamsii
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 27,004
Why The US Has No High-Speed Rail

The video is actually quite interesting. 16 minutes, but its a good watch.

= = = = = =


Video Link


Quote:
China has the world’s fastest and largest high-speed rail network — more than 19,000 miles, the vast majority of which was built in the past decade.

Japan’s bullet trains can reach nearly 200 miles per hour and date to the 1960s. They have moved more than 9 billion people without a single passenger causality. casualty

France began service of the high-speed TGV train in 1981 and the rest of Europe quickly followed.

But the U.S. has no true high-speed trains, aside from sections of Amtrak’s Acela line in the Northeast Corridor. The Acela can reach 150 mph for only 34 miles of its 457-mile span. Its average speed between New York and Boston is about 65 mph.

California’s high-speed rail system is under construction, but whether it will ever get completed as intended is uncertain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:11 AM
ocman ocman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Burlingame
Posts: 2,259
Other countries fund rail. In the US, states are required to pay for it themselves. I seriously forget why we pay federal taxes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:36 AM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 1,147
1) maybe this should be in the transportation section?

2) Hopefully with this http://www.midwesthsr.org/big-win-springfield , Illinois "HSR" can finally get started. Too bad it's only 110 MPH max... this corridor should easily support 110 MPH average.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:29 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
1) maybe this should be in the transportation section?

2) Hopefully with this http://www.midwesthsr.org/big-win-springfield , Illinois "HSR" can finally get started. Too bad it's only 110 MPH max... this corridor should easily support 110 MPH average.
i thought the big holdup on stl-chi was the control system, disallowing the full speed of the line? (that and the garbage-can cars they are still pulling)
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:30 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,558
upon review, basically none of that is for the hsr line unless it's the "track improvements in springfield."
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:55 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Other countries fund rail. In the US, states are required to pay for it themselves. I seriously forget why we pay federal taxes.
States pay about 50%, right? Federal funds match?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:42 PM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
upon review, basically none of that is for the hsr line unless it's the "track improvements in springfield."
Here's hoping...I thought that that was one of the hold-ups.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:46 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Other countries fund rail. In the US, states are required to pay for it themselves. I seriously forget why we pay federal taxes.
Imperialism! duh.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:32 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Here's hoping...I thought that that was one of the hold-ups.
could be part of this...

http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/...l-in-Illinois/

But it’s no faster. As of early 2019, trains on the Lincoln Service line top out at 79 MPH. The 284-mile trip still takes five and a half hours.

IDOT spokesperson Guy Tridgell says faster speeds are coming soon. A section of the route between Springfield and St. Louis will allow for 90 MPH travel by this summer, and the rest will follow suit by 2020, Tridgell says.

...

But there’s no longer an official timetable for 110 MPH trains.

“We don’t know for sure,” said Tridgell. “We hope that the schedule comes into focus soon.”

The delays are largely bureaucratic. Amtrak trains aren’t allowed to hit 110 MPH without first testing what’s called positive train control (PTC) under the guidance of the Federal Railroad Administration.
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:08 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Other countries fund rail. In the US, states are required to pay for it themselves. I seriously forget why we pay federal taxes.
Is there any federation in the world with a high-speed rail system?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:14 PM
hauntedheadnc's Avatar
hauntedheadnc hauntedheadnc is offline
Sentence fragments!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Asheville, NC - "Home of the Pernicious Poem Place"
Posts: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
IDOT spokesperson Guy Tridgell says faster speeds are coming soon. A section of the route between Springfield and St. Louis will allow for 90 MPH travel by this summer, and the rest will follow suit by 2020, Tridgell says.
Oh, my... what an unfortunate acronym. I bet frustrated drivers there (and probably also in Iowa) have a blast with that one...
__________________
"Asheville air affects me like champagne; it goes to my head. I'm apt to do things for which I will be sorry in the grim dawn of New York." -- William G. Raoul, 1898
"After 30 years here, all I know is Asheville is a place where old souls and terrible angels walk among us..." -- Dale Neal, 2015
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:15 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 24,571
I think HSR would be great here in the US but we already have an advanced regional air network. China can get away with building rail because A) they are a dictatorship and B) they are still developing infrastructure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:31 PM
jg6544 jg6544 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think HSR would be great here in the US but we already have an advanced regional air network. China can get away with building rail because A) they are a dictatorship and B) they are still developing infrastructure.
Advanced? Have you flown into or out of LAX recently?

China isn't the only country with HSR; most of Europe, Korea, Japan, and they're currently building them in India and Turkey. This is the only industrialized country in the world with such rotten rail transportation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:33 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pile 'O Bones
Posts: 12,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Is there any federation in the world with a high-speed rail system?
Not sure what you are thinking of when you say federation, but:

Russia has a line between Moscow and St. Petersburg and apparently one between Helsinki and St. Petersburg.

Germany has several lines.

Belgium has several lines.

India has a few semi-high speed lines and many in proposal status.
__________________

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:47 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 24,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Advanced? Have you flown into or out of LAX recently?

China isn't the only country with HSR; most of Europe, Korea, Japan, and they're currently building them in India and Turkey. This is the only industrialized country in the world with such rotten rail transportation.
China is the only big country with HSR. Europe is not a country and the biggest European country is the size of Texas (France) and Japan and South Korea are small. We are a dollar late and a dollar short for HSR I am afraid. It may work on the eastern seaboard (beyond Acela), California and the Texas triangle but the US in general is in just too massive.

As for LAX, it's a massive airport but LAX isn't the only option for the LA area...I avoid LAX like the plague and fly into BUR if I can and the US has airports just about everywhere. As I said, our air network is pretty advanced. I can get on a plane and pretty much go anywhere in this country as there is almost an airport nearby.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:55 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Not sure what you are thinking of when you say federation, but:

Russia has a line between Moscow and St. Petersburg and apparently one between Helsinki and St. Petersburg.

Germany has several lines.

Belgium has several lines.

India has a few semi-high speed lines and many in proposal status.
A federal system of government. Federal systems delegate infrastructure development down to states. Our interstate highway system is just a collection of highways managed by individual states. Off the top of my head, Amtrak is the only piece of infrastructure we have that is the domain of the federal government.

Tl;dr: our system of government probably also makes HSR projects harder to do.

ETA: Technically, the U.S. does have a HSR line, too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:55 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
China is the only big country with HSR. Europe is not a country and the biggest European country is the size of Texas (France) and Japan and South Korea are small. We are a dollar late and a dollar short for HSR I am afraid. It may work on the eastern seaboard (beyond Acela), California and the Texas triangle but the US in general is in just too massive.

As for LAX, it's a massive airport but LAX isn't the only option for the LA area...I avoid LAX like the plague and fly into BUR if I can and the US has airports just about everywhere. As I said, our air network is pretty advanced. I can get on a plane and pretty much go anywhere in this country as there is almost an airport nearby.
if you're staying on the westside, LAX is fine. i head straight to playa del rey or something for lunch or whatever. there's worse airports.
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:00 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
As for LAX, it's a massive airport but LAX isn't the only option for the LA area...I avoid LAX like the plague and fly into BUR if I can and the US has airports just about everywhere. As I said, our air network is pretty advanced. I can get on a plane and pretty much go anywhere in this country as there is almost an airport nearby.
The U.S. is actually over reliant on air travel because of our paltry rail system, and the problems with over reliance on air travel were detailed in the video. A good example is your own state. Houston and Dallas are about the optimal distance from each other to make HSR worthwhile. If there was HSR between the two cities, it would be far faster to get between the center of both cities that way than by driving or flying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:12 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 24,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The U.S. is actually over reliant on air travel because of our paltry rail system, and the problems with over reliance on air travel were detailed in the video. A good example is your own state. Houston and Dallas are about the optimal distance from each other to make HSR worthwhile. If there was HSR between the two cities, it would be far faster to get between the center of both cities that way than by driving or flying.
I agree. I cited the TT as a prime spot for HSR but local politics would make such a plan an uphill battle. Wealthy ranchers balking at eminent domain and opposition within the state government plus the airline industry (mainly AA, SWA, and UAL) lobbying hard.

My parents take the train down to the City from upstate all the time; dumps them right into Penn Station and then walk/ cab a few blocks to their hotel. I'd love that for here...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:19 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think HSR would be great here in the US but we already have an advanced regional air network. China can get away with building rail because A) they are a dictatorship and B) they are still developing infrastructure.
And

C] China's 1.4 billion basically all live in the eastern/coastal provinces of the country. 94% of the Chinese population live east of The Hu Line. China has 1.1 billion more people than the entire United States and they're all crammed into a relatively small geographical area.


http://www.undertheraedar.com/2012/0...-of-china.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:04 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.