HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Absolutely NO idea - if you can figure this one out, you're a GOD among noirishers. Pershing Square, perhaps, maybe the library?
I think you got this one spot on, Scott Charles. Here's the Fifth Street entrance to the library, just up Fifth from two of the other shots. The scene above was probably filmed from the end of Hope Street, just along from the Engstrum.

GSV
NB. This image is from 2011 because I wanted a clear view of the seat for comparison, but it still looks the same today.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
I ate at both the Westwood and Culver City Ships, the Culver City location a number of times in its last years. They featured toasters at every table. The food was not all that good.

I went to that Victoria Station a good deal. It had the virtue of being affordable as a special-occasion place. The food was good! But the "funicular railway" was nothing more than an elevator operating along an incline.
I lived about half a mile from the Culver City Ships and went there extremely hungover with a friend and we burned six pieces of toast at our table...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Sure, the one above is 7th and Olive looking south. The B of A is now the Hotel NoMad, the building across the street is still there and has a 7-11 on the ground floor, and the white building with the windows is the old Federal Reserve building(now the Reserve lofts).
Wow, you've got a good eye, BillinGlendale - I just pulled up the location on Google Maps, and the area is barely recognizable to my eyes. Man, that area down there certainly changed!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Wow, you've got a good eye, BillinGlendale - I just pulled up the location on Google Maps, and the area is barely recognizable to my eyes. Man, that area down there certainly changed!
The B of A was the clue that got me there; yeah quite a few of those parking lots in the southern part of Downtown have been developed in the last few years.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
I'll try another, that's 5th and Olive; Googlies is on the left. I think the shot previous to that one is 6th and Grand(AT&T building), but some things don't seen right about my guess. The previous shot is 6th and Olive.
Thanks for mentioning Googies, BillInGlendale!

While I am now sure that Googies appears in the movie, it is in another part of the movie...

In the shot of the trucks coming towards the camera, you can clearly make out Googies and the awning of the San Carlos Hotel:

https://plus.google.com/wm/trollface...explore/googie

... but if this is so, then I don't think the first photo in this post shows Fifth and Olive... the two intersections appear quite different in the movie:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think you got this one spot on, Scott Charles. Here's the Fifth Street entrance to the library, just up Fifth from two of the other shots. The scene above was probably filmed from the end of Hope Street, just along from the Engstrum.

GSV
NB. This image is from 2011 because I wanted a clear view of the seat for comparison, but it still looks the same today.
WOW, HossC. To be honest, it was just a lucky guess on my part - I street-viewed the library, and couldn't find that spot. I probably should have gone back to 2011, as you did.

Of course, I already knew you were a God Among Noirishers...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:28 PM

I just realized that one of the unidentified photos (top left) is literally across the street from one of the other photos... both of the two top video shots were taken at 6th and Olive:

That means that the following two spots are the only ones in the movie not yet identified:

This one seems easy to figure out, but I just can't put my finger on it:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:

That means that the following two spots are the only ones in the movie not yet identified:

I think this is Fifth and Olive, but looking up Olive from outside the Biltmore.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
I think blimps might have been what was planned for Fletcher Field.
With the other two airfields close by, landing more planes might have been tight.

Abandoned and Little Known Airfields

The aerial below was taken sometime between 1925/26 (when Slate Aircraft Corp. built their dirigible hanger)
and before 1928 (when the Grand Central Air Terminal was built.

abandonedairfields

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH
I read something that a blimp was developed at Grand Central Airport, but before they flew it, a faulty valve stuck open and blew out all the rivets.
The guy went broke and pushed it back into the hanger. There might have been some others though.

Here is Thomas Benton Slate with his prototype for his rigid dirigible

i.pinimg

And here you see the Slate Aircraft Corp. dirigible hanger under construction. (1925/26)

i.pinimg

Voila! The hanger is finished. ....(I like how D I R I G I B L E is spelled out between the hanger windows)

Slate's prototype appears to be growing.

And, finally, here is a fantastic aerial. ...(I believe this was taken the day Slate's dirigible, City of Glendale, blew its rivets).....Dec. 19, 1929.

tropicostation

The airship hangar with the L.A. River in the background.

Fletcher Field, if it was ever completed, would be at upper left, between the wing of the plane and the river.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 15, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:51 PM

E.R. - The Abandoned and Little Known Airfields website is pretty extensive. I could not find a mention of Fletcher Field. I think if it was ever built, there would have been an article and photos.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA.htm

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:06 AM

I did find a Fletcher Airport.

And as you can see, the surrounding area is vaguely like the area around 'Fletcher Field'...but instead of the the L.A. River there is the Rio Hondo Channel.

When I realized this wasn't Fletcher Field I didn't bother to jot down the location. DUH!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:36 AM

E.R. - We are looking at the El Monte area here. South of the San Bernardino
(10) Freeway and east of Rosemead Blvd (Highway 19). I think part of the old airport is still vacant land. (brown spot on the map)

Google Maps

The area looks like a big gravel pit, or something.

Google Street View

Last edited by FredH; Jul 16, 2019 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:29 AM

Quote:
I just realized that one of the unidentified photos (top left) is literally across the street from one of the other photos... both of the two top video shots were taken at 6th and Olive:

]

Googie's was on the NW corner of 5th and Olive. This view looks E on 5th St. apparently with considerable telephoto distortion accentuating the steepness of the hill and narrowing the width of Olive St.

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Jul 16, 2019 at 4:10 AM. Reason: Fix typo.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

E.R. - We are looking at the El Monte area here. South of the San Bernardino
(10) Freeway and east of Rosemead Blvd (Highway 19). I think part of the old airport is still vacant land. (brown spot on the map)

Google Maps

The area looks like a big gravel pit, or something.

Google Street View

My family lived a few blocks north of here (across what's now the freeway) during 1950-54. The short version of the history is that the airfield supported some aeronautical and later aerospace manufacturing facilities (notably Aerojet-General), and these gradually took over the airport itself by the mid-/late 1950s. Beginning in the late 1960s or so, the area was re-redeveloped into the office and commercial space currently extant.

The vacant land shown in the aerial view apparently was supposed to be developed into a multistory complex, but it seems to have been delayed. More here: https://www.ci.el-monte.ca.us/Docume...pecific-Plan?b

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Fletcher Field, if it was ever completed, would be at upper left, between the wing of the plane and the river.
OK, now I'm confused. This is about 4 or 5 miles north of Fletcher Drive and the location of the aerial in your original post. I think there were already houses where you're now saying Fletcher Field is.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Jul 16, 2019 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:59 AM
BANNED

old file

That's Capt.Slate at the far right.....

I guess Slate's big deal was all metal dirigibles.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
FredH, I agree that the designated landing area at 'Fletcher Field' was intended for blimps.
..but I wonder if 'Fletcher Field' was ever actualized? There is almost no documentation on it. (except for the photograph I found on eBay)

The aerial below was taken sometime between 1925/26 (when Slate Aircraft Corp. built their dirigible hanger)
and before 1928 (when the Grand Central Air Terminal was built.

abandonedairfields

This would have been the Slate Aircraft Corp. It actually predates Glendale's Grand Central Airport by only a few years. (as shown in the annotated aerial above)

Here is Thomas Benton Slate with his prototype for his rigid dirigible

i.pinimg

And here you see the Slate Aircraft Corp. dirigible hanger under construction. (1925/26)

i.pinimg

Voila! The hanger is finished. ....(I like how D I R I G I B L E is spelled out between the hanger windows)

Slate's prototype appears to be growing.

And, finally, here is a fantastic aerial. ...(I believe this was taken the day Slate's dirigible, City of Glendale, blew its rivets).....Dec. 19, 1929.

tropicostation

The airship hangar with the L.A. River in the background.

Look at all that Riparian woodland by the River....before all the concrete channels (put in after the great flood). A real river and woods. Probably steelhead trout too.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Look at all that Riparian woodland by the River....before all the concrete channels (put in after the great flood). A real river and woods. Probably steelhead trout too.
Fletcher Field would not have been directly across the river from The National Guard Airport in Griffith Park. It would have been further downstream a couple of miles where Fletcher Drive crosses the river.

Here is a current Google Maps Aerial of the location

Google Maps

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
OK, now I'm confused. This is about 4 or 5 miles north of Fletcher Drive and the location of the aerial in your original post. I think there were already houses where you're now saying Fletcher Field is.
We've come to the conclusion that Fletcher Field never came to fruition. I wasn't clear on my annotated aerial photo. I should gave included "proposed site for" Fletcher Field.
But as the eBay aerial show....there were no houses at that exact spot in 1940.

Taken on Dec. 07, 1940. (DATE: Upper left corner)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UphillDonkey View Post
Fletcher Field would not have been directly across the river from The National Guard Airport in Griffith Park. It would have been further downstream a couple of miles where Fletcher Drive crosses the river.
Is this (see below) about right, UphillDonkey?

abandoned airfields

I am judging by the curve in the river. (shown in the 1940 aerial)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 16, 2019 at 6:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos