HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 1:09 AM

[Halifax] The Olympic (1140 Barrington) | 26 m | 8 fl | U/C

New proposal for South Barrington Street across from Superstore between Kent and Tobin Streets.

https://georgesinvestments.ca/

It is also known as Halifax Planning Case #22069 and is proposed by Kassner/Goodspeed Architects.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 4:21 AM

Here?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 1:48 PM

Looks like it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Looks like it.
Another causality of inaction, all three built in the 1890's. It's a shame, they're one of the brighter points of a fairly drab streetscape.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Another causality of inaction, all three built in the 1890's. It's a shame, they're one of the brighter points of a fairly drab streetscape.
I agree. Seems like a bad trade-off, and that row of houses should probably be a heritage streetscape.

This is another case while relatively nice buildings are being torn down while there's a Tim Hortons drive through nearby plus some other empty lots.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:37 AM

Would this replace all 4 of the houses? It's not really clear in the images but the one rendering seems to suggest that it wouldn't.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:05 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Would this replace all 4 of the houses? It's not really clear in the images but the one rendering seems to suggest that it wouldn't.
I've seen development notices on a the houses on that block. It really is unfortunate, since they really are a nice splash of vibrancy. And of course, 20m away is a vacant grass lot. Barrington St. south still has pockets of character but it does feel like it's getting chipped away.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:06 PM

I have hesitated to respond, as typically my comment is countered with something to the effect of: "but... density!", and I am usually left with the feeling that nobody really cares. So, I don't bother so much anymore.

However I do agree that bit by bit we are losing areas of Halifax with 19th century character. This will be a loss to the street, and should have been protected, IMHO.

As a side note, the little piece of stone wall that is about to be removed is a sawed-off leftover of the period, as mentioned in the blog post below:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...ls-of-halifax/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I would rather see something built in the empty lot further down. The lot that used to be the South End Diner.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 11:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I have hesitated to respond, as typically my comment is countered with something to the effect of: "but... density!", and I am usually left with the feeling that nobody really cares. So, I don't bother so much anymore.

However I do agree that bit by bit we are losing areas of Halifax with 19th century character. This will be a loss to the street, and should have been protected, IMHO.

As a side note, the little piece of stone wall that is about to be removed is a sawed-off leftover of the period, as mentioned in the blog post below:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...ls-of-halifax/
I generally agree with projects that bring density, and it is a nice part of town to have some more density in. It's also sad to lose three buildings with a lot of character, all while having a vacant lot, a drive through, and a massive surface parking lot, a stone's throw away.

I understand developers can't necessarily pick and chose - there's a limit to how much land is available and for sale, but it's still disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I understand developers can't necessarily pick and chose - there's a limit to how much land is available and for sale, but it's still disappointing.
They buy up land and assemble lots based on development potential though. I have no doubt they'd be able to work around greatly expanded heritage protections in Halifax as long as they were clear from the outset.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:33 PM

Here's what the developers have given us before
https://goo.gl/maps/8SHHiqmxZQdBYBRd6

According to AllNS, the family redeveloping these spots on Barrington developed and then sold 21 Parkland Dr.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 7:53 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Here's what the developers have given us before
https://goo.gl/maps/8SHHiqmxZQdBYBRd6

According to AllNS, the family redeveloping these spots on Barrington developed and then sold 21 Parkland Dr.
Higher quality than the norm in the burbs. Real brick???

Don't mind the form of that building aside from the triangular shapes.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:44 PM
Fizzix geek

Homes are being taken down today.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:25 PM

Interesting move. Design Review Committee turned them down, in part because the proposed building is replacing detailed, fine-grained houses with a relatively "blank" design. I wonder how DRC will respond when this comes back, now that the houses are gone.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Interesting move. Design Review Committee turned them down, in part because the proposed building is replacing detailed, fine-grained houses with a relatively "blank" design. I wonder how DRC will respond when this comes back, now that the houses are gone.
What a messed up planning system...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Wow...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:07 AM

If I'm reading this correctly this project is now approved.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...00114rc121.pdf

The appeal was allowed so Regional Council overrode the DRC decision. The only question mark is the section about the Heritage District which was approved at the meeting last night as well. This could make it impossible for the development officer to approved the quantitative elements of the proposal by changing the underlying zoning requirements.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
If I'm reading this correctly this project is now approved.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...00114rc121.pdf

The appeal was allowed so Regional Council overrode the DRC decision. The only question mark is the section about the Heritage District which was approved at the meeting last night as well. This could make it impossible for the development officer to approved the quantitative elements of the proposal by changing the underlying zoning requirements.
Yeah, a bit of procedural complexity in this one. Council did allow the appeal, but then later that night approved the Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District, which makes the approved design impossible. Since they only have site plan approval and not development permits, they don't have any "grandfathered" rights. So in the end it was a loss for the developer and they'll have to come back with a new design.

It may seem kind of stupid that Council approved the appeal knowing they might make it moot later in the night, but the nature of appeals is that they can only be made based on the facts of the planning regime currently in effect. Council was not at liberty to make their decision based on what might happen in the future.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:38 PM

Interesting case. If it's refused on the basis of the Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District, but the houses have already been demolished, what do they do with the lots? Build smaller buildings? Include faux heritage cues in the new building to blend in?

Seems like the damage is already done (presumably the reason that the Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District was created - to prevent such demolition of heritage properties within the district), so what now?

I'm glad that this sort of thing will (hopefully) be prevented in the future, though. There is a finite collection of 19th century houses in the city, so hopefully some of them can be kept.

I have to say that the proposal, IMHO, is somewhat underwhelming as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth