Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Hines has issued a press release stating that as of 10/14, Salesforce Tower has reached a height of 867 feet and is the tallest building in San Francisco:

The 867' figure represents the placement of core concrete for the 58th floor. The outer forms are one story (15') taller, and the inner forms currently reach up into the 60th floor.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
Glass curtain wall on my way to work this morning:

Why did the designers of Salesforce feel the need to have awnings over the windows? Is this the first super tall with awnings? Won't that become a place where pigeons will hang out and have a poop party? Then someone has to clean up all the poop? Won't those awnings get dirty? I know the awnings on my house get really dirty over time and I have to clean them. Wouldn't the tower look more impressive without the awnings and just have it all glass? I'm not really sure, but will pigeons start landing on those awnings and start pooping or am I wrong?

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 14, 2016 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 4:27 PM

Here's another idea. I know some don't want me mentioning 9/11 again, but suppose there was a fire in the building, and the only way out was to break the windows and jump like on 9/11. Looking at those awnings, could someone actually use them to safely get down the building from the top floor by jumping down and catching themselves on one awning at a time until they get down the tower? Or at least to a lower floor not on fire where they could break the window and get back inside? If so, those awnings could be lifesavers if the tower ever faced such a scenario, which I pray it never does.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 14, 2016 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:25 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post
...Or at least to a lower floor not on fire where they could break the window and get back inside? If so, those awnings could be lifesavers if the tower ever faced such a scenario, which I pray it never does.
What....dude? No.

Modern towers have fireproofing on the structure and fire suppression systems on all floors. If a fire starts people evacuate down the stair wells. Stop talking about 9-11 please. There's no reason to fantasize about doomsday scenerios.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:47 PM

Salesforce Tower Becomes the Tallest Building in San Francisco
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-San-Francisco
Quote:
BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Boston Properties, Inc. (NYSE: BXP), a real estate investment trust, and co-development partner, Hines, announced that on Friday, October 14, 2016, Salesforce Tower will officially be the tallest building in San Francisco. Soaring to new heights - Salesforce Tower surpasses the famous Transamerica Pyramid at 853 feet when it reaches 867 feet on Friday. The building will continue to grow another 200 feet until it reaches 1,070 feet, at which time it will be the tallest office building west of Chicago. Located in the Transbay District at 415 Mission Street, between Fremont and First Streets, the 61-story Salesforce Tower occupies a full city block and marks the new center of San Francisco.

Construction for the Salesforce Tower began in 2013. Salesforce Tower boasts 1.4 million square feet of beautifully designed space. The building features approximately 7,000 square feet of rentable retail space on both the ground and fifth floors. The dramatic fifth floor space opens onto the Transbay Transit Center’s 5.4 acre rooftop park. The project is being co-developed by Boston Properties and Hines, with Boston Properties owning a 95% interest in the project and Hines owning a 5% interest. The architectural team is led by design architect, Pelli Clarke Pelli and Kendall Heaton as the architect of record.

Salesforce Tower is engineered with enhanced seismic safety and high performance design features in mind. Salesforce Tower boasts 42 5 foot by 10 foot steel reinforced concrete load bearing elements extending from the foundation down all the way into bedrock, 14 foot 9 inch slab to slab heights that allow for approximately 13 foot unfinished ceilings, 10 foot drop ceilings and 10 foot high continuous clear glass windows. This frames a column-free interior providing maximum natural light to the work space. The top 150 feet of the tower will feature the highest public art light installation in the United States...
* Salesforce Tower is still 1070 feet, and "the tallest building west of Chicago."
* The floor-to-floor heights are actually 14'-9".
* 10 feet is too high to jump windows safely outside the building. This would never be considered a safe exit by any code.

By the way, I also have been wondering how they are going to manage keeping the exterior of this building clean in addition to basic window washing. Does anyone know the finish material of the white surfaces? I'm am thinking it could be powder coated paint, or something like it that is durable, dirt resistant, and easier to clean off when needed.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 7:06 PM

867 feet? So we got 203 feet to go. Amazing how fast this tower has risen, but it's not fast enough for me. Will they ever be able to erect these towers in like one month just so I can be happy?

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 14, 2016 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 7:14 PM
Chairman

I am sure your intension is not to be offensive but your comment can be taken as such.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Oct 14, 2016 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I am sure your intension is not to be offensive but your comment can taken as such.
Why are you sure of that?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I am sure your intension is not to be offensive but your comment can taken as such.
I'm going to have to disagree with you, I am sure his intention is to be offensive.

Virtually all of his posts are childish and nonsensical. Two of the major recurring themes of his posts are idiotic 9/11 scenarios and trying continuously to instigate City vs. City / building vs. building debates.

In fact, he most recently did this yesterday in another forum, instigating yet another building v. building despite the mods repeatedly saying they will not allow this - they subsequently deleted the posts.

He's been suspended before for his shit posting but he just doesn't seem to get it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 11:41 PM
Chairman

The first part of my statement was an attempt to be nice by not directly accusing since I do not know this person's intentions. Regardless, Justbuildit's comment was not necessary.

Also noticed Justbuildit's comment has been edited after my post.

-sb

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:32 AM

picture uploader

Courtesy from salesforcetower Instagram page.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:48 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
picture uploader

Courtesy from salesforcetower Instagram page.
It is so rare to see people off-forum who are as excited about skyscrapers as forumers are. Rare and gratifying. This is fucking awesome!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:53 AM
Resu Deretsiger

this is most eggcellent. Now I'll get to see rise right after the tunnels on 24

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 3:07 AM

Wow, I just love that Instagram photo! It also looks like there is a poster of a recent aerial photo of the skyline with Salesforce Tower under construction to help commemorate this milestone occasion. I wish I can see that poster better, but it is washed out by the light.

I forgot to include this in my article quote above from businesswire.com:
Quote:
The next phases of the project scheduled for 2016 include topping off core walls in early November and topping structural steel in March 2017. The base core and shell work will be completed in the second quarter of 2017 with plans for tenants to take occupancy in fourth quarter of 2017.
That seems about right for early November, since there are 3 more floors of primary core to go, plus something more for mechanical and elevator shafts on top. The topping off of the core is the next milestone event to look forward to.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 3:33 AM

The Pyramid is 853 feet. Why do those who design towers have an odd number for the height?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 6:25 AM

Awww...I ran a twitter account for the Transamerica Pyramid as a spoof for 6 years, kind of like Karl The Fog. Twitter banned it only a few weeks ago, so it's sad to not be able to post this stuff on the account anymore. It used to be @transamericablg

It was so much fun being the voice of the pyramid for so many years, I even got to see the very top once!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 6:25 PM
SimCity World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
Awww...I ran a twitter account for the Transamerica Pyramid as a spoof for 6 years, kind of like Karl The Fog. Twitter banned it only a few weeks ago, so it's sad to not be able to post this stuff on the account anymore. It used to be @transamericablg

It was so much fun being the voice of the pyramid for so many years, I even got to see the very top once!
That's was you!?! You used to post great pics of the Pyramid that we usually don't get to see. They banned you and the fake Salesforce Tower account.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:36 PM
Downtowner

What a gorgeous building!

I am from LA and so I should be all gaga about the Wishire Grand, but Salesforce completely destroys it. Salesforce's location in the skyline is excellent as well as it doesn't detract from the Transamerica building which I think it would if it was close to it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:42 PM
Downtowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
I love everything about this one, taken from the Oakland hills on October 1st:

DSC02244 by Guido Nagle, on Flickr
This picture is amazing!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 2:11 AM
Green Berniecrat

Not too detailed of a picture, but I had an opportunity to get one from a good spot. That, and I've been sort of a ghost on this forum for the last couple of years. This has become prominent from just about every angle now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture