HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:00 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I haven't been following Quebec politics lately but did the CAQ cut immigration as they promised?
The CAQ is hard to follow on this topic.

Now their story is that they only needed to decrease immigration levels temporarily, in 2019, to give them time to implement a reform of the immigration system.

They now want to increase immigration levels back up to the 50K+/year level.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:08 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Until the last annexation Airdrie was the second most dense city in the province! We were over 1200/sqkm. We just don’t and can’t really build up. Tallest buildings that can be built here are 40m I think due to airport considerations and right now there isn’t an appetite to build anything like that here.

There are a few lots in the downtown area that are just waiting for something to be built and have been for years, maybe by the time they finally get around to it they will build something a little taller than the usual 4 storey buildings.
Yeah I remember. It's actually not bad for density of the city's urban area, a considerable portion of Airdrie is made up of 4 to 5 storey walk-ups. I didn't realize that the heigh limit was around 40 meters, that is encouraging. Would love to see some 12 to 15 storey buildings there one day. I understand that there's no appetite for it now, but as the city grows into itself, it will most definitely happen, especially since we're looking at a municipal population of 100 000 there within a decade.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:18 PM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
The CAQ is hard to follow on this topic.

Now their story is that they only needed to decrease immigration levels temporarily, in 2019, to give them time to implement a reform of the immigration system.

They now want to increase immigration levels back up to the 50K+/year level.

I think they kicked the tires on that promise and discovered that A) it would be difficult to apply legally and practically, especially given the "Ottawa" angle, B) it might be detrimental to the economy in light of growing labour shortages and near full employment, and C) it does not appear to be a deal-breaker for the electorate.

They have also been quiet on the promise of the three year probation period for immigrants followed by a values test and a French test. Again, these will be difficult to apply given the shared responsibility with the feds (who are opposed). OTOH I think this might come back in some shape or form - it might be linked to how the Bill 21 rollout goes. If Bill 21 goes reasonably well, public opinion might soften. If the Bill 21 situation goes south, public support for cracking the whip with stuff like this could increase. At the moment though, no one is talking about it.

Bottom line is that most people in Quebec are in favour of a decent level of immigration. Around 50k probably. I.e. what we are seeing now.

They just want newcomers to make an effort to fit in.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:20 PM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

As a threat, actually, it's not a bad idea. In practice...no way.

I was just talking to a colleague at work who told me that her grandmother has refused, for decades, to learn English (in an English speaking country) I used to work at another place where the cleaning lady had never bothered to learn English after over 40 years out of Portugal. That, to me, is just ridiculous. I don't think it's that much to ask that most immigrants learn the language. Hell, here in China, I assumed it was always my responsibility to at least learn how to communicate with people in the dominant language. I can't imagine having to be reliant on everybody all the time to get even the most basic of things done.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
As a threat, actually, it's not a bad idea. In practice...no way.

I was just talking to a colleague at work who told me that her grandmother has refused, for decades, to learn English (in an English speaking country) I used to work at another place where the cleaning lady had never bothered to learn English after over 40 years out of Portugal. That, to me, is just ridiculous. I don't think it's that much to ask that most immigrants learn the language. Hell, here in China, I assumed it was always my responsibility to at least learn how to communicate with people in the dominant language. I can't imagine having to be reliant on everybody all the time to get even the most basic of things done.
I'd wager that the only people who don't really learn the language are those who come as family class immigrants at much older stages in life. With the possible exception of very recent arrivals or those who are living in the handful of really big immigrant ghettoes in Canada (e.g. Chinese in Richmond or Punjabi in Brampton), I don't know that you could find too many under 30s who aren't at least somewhat conversant in English or French. Otherwise you're doomed to the lowest level of jobs available.

Contrast that with the 50+ year old parents that get sponsored in down the road by the kids... they probably aren't going to learn much English or French at all, even if they live here for the next 30 years.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:10 PM

Iirc, there were cases back in the day of Portuguese husbands forbidding their wives from learning English. Illiterates may also struggle to learn a new language.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:01 PM

We're now 8.5 Million in the province of Québec!
Now looking forward to the big 9...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 11:56 PM

Just noticed that the 4 western provinces passed 12,000,000. They are at 12,003,169 now!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Just noticed that the 4 western provinces passed 12,000,000. They are at 12,003,169 now!
Yes, but aren't we supposed to separate British Columbia from the Prairies when counting population? I heard they are two completely different things out west.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Yes, but aren't we supposed to separate British Columbia from the Prairies when counting population? I heard they are two completely different things out west.
"Supposed to"? If you want to total the population of the four provinces, then you can't exclude any of them.

If you mean are B.C. and the three Prairie provinces considered to be two of Canada's regions, then yes.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
"Supposed to"? If you want to total the population of the four provinces, then you can't exclude any of them.

If you mean are B.C. and the three Prairie provinces considered to be two of Canada's regions, then yes.
Yeah that's what I meant : The Prairies Versus the West Coast (all of B.C.)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

In terms of culture, it's hard for more to separate out interior BC from the prairies.

The Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island, for sure. But Kamloops and Kelowna have more in common with Moose Jaw and Winnipeg than they do Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:43 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Southern Ontario alone is about 14 million now.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:09 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
In terms of culture, it's hard for more to separate out interior BC from the prairies.

The Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island, for sure. But Kamloops and Kelowna have more in common with Moose Jaw and Winnipeg than they do Vancouver.
Say what now? No!

Kamloops and Kelowna have way more in common with the Lower Mainland than than anywhere in Sask/Man

Besides the fact that the Lower Mainland/Island buyers make up the largest group of out of region real estate buyers in the Okanagan Valley (20% of the market - next largest is Albertans at 10%) and the fact that Lower Mainlanders flood the Okanagan during the summer because they are relatively close... there are the business/agriculture/education and government ties!

The Okanagan region is more similar to the Fraser Valley than any other place.

However, I'll give you the northeast area of BC - it is more similar to Alberta than the south coast of BC - but they are very few in number. The LM/Island is 4 out of 5 British Columbians.

I see western Canada as Pacific/BC and Prairies for regions.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:25 PM

I grew up in the Okanagan, it is more conservative than the Lower Mainland, as you'd expect. Often, the big city is more liberal. That being said, the Okanagan and the Thompson are very much culturally a part of BC. As mentioned by cranespotter, it is actually becoming more tied to the LM as buyers priced out of the coast migrate to Kelowna. As a result of that movement, and the presence of UBC in the city, it is seeing a lot of its economic growth come from tech and digital media, similar to Victoria and Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:59 PM
Suburbs Suck

Um ya the Prairies seem like another country to me.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Um ya the Prairies seem like another country to me.
When I'm on Vancouver Island or in the LM region, it takes me awhile to get used to the hustle and bustle of all the people. But seeming like another country? I never get that feeling at all.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:43 PM

I didn't meant to start a debate about that...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:17 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Southern Ontario alone is about 14 million now.
Southern Ontario is best Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Southern Ontario is best Ontario.
You and Vid could probably get into a lively discussion about that.

Seriously though, if I were to move out of Moncton in retirement (probably 50/50 chance), your stomping grounds of Stratford would be one of my choices. I've been to the Stratford Festival twice, and really appreciate the town.

You need more hotels though.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada