HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:34 PM
the first stamp is free

^ but then they would have to include 2010, when Winnipeg had far fewer murders than typical...

Those graphs only show 2009.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:52 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Toronto still sits at 44 with only two weeks left in the year. The CBC has an up to date interactive map you can track the locations and descriptions of the homicides.

Last year we had 60, and in 2009 we had 61. I think as more people are moving into the core and areas gentrify and become more 24/7, neighborhoods in the city become safer.
I don't think such a dramatic drop from last year could be attributed entirely to gentrification. That would be like saying "Well the murder rate is way down compared to last year, must be because Rob Ford chased away all the poor people!"

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Quote:
Those numbers are for the 416( Or Toronto), Mississauga murders or the like are not part of the equation. I'm not sure what your point is mike.
He's talking about places like Rexdale and Scarberia. Places many downtowners are not even aware of, but which most normal people would know as "the inner suburban belt". Looking at the CBC map, I'm very happy to see North Scarberia and my home borough of North York doing so well compared to the rest of the city. There's got to be at least 500,000 people in that area, with only 4 murders.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
He's talking about places like Rexdale and Scarberia. Places many downtowners are not even aware of, but which most normal people would know as "the inner suburban belt"
I'm well aware of where they are as are most Torontonians. The murder count I posted included all of that. As for Gentrification not being the only factor for a low rate this year, I agree but it is the reason why for such a large city we have one of the safest downtown's.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 9:06 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I don't think such a dramatic drop from last year could be attributed entirely to gentrification. That would be like saying "Well the murder rate is way down compared to last year, must be because Rob Ford chased away all the poor people!"

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

He's talking about places like Rexdale and Scarberia. Places many downtowners are not even aware of, but which most normal people would know as "the inner suburban belt". Looking at the CBC map, I'm very happy to see North Scarberia and my home borough of North York doing so well compared to the rest of the city. There's got to be at least 500,000 people in that area, with only 4 murders.
I live in North York (Village at York) and back on July 26th, I was the victim of a home invasion robbery at gunpoint. The men literally broke into my room while I was sleeping like a baby and put a gun to my head and started demanding drugs. The past 119 days and the remaining days in my life have been a gift to me from God.

Luckily I wasn't murdered (obviously), I replaced all the stuff they stole, and the incident was far enough in the past that it doesn't bother me too much anymore.

Just wanted to say that as sort of an ironic response to the "low" murder numbers in North York this year. Almost did me a fat lot of good.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 3:29 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
The toughest, and saddest decision that a family would have to make
Written by: James Murray on December 23, 2011.
http://netnewsledger.com/2011/12/23/...-have-to-make/

THUNDER BAY – It had to be the toughest, and saddest decision that a family would have to make. The kind of decision family would never want to make.

Today the family of Barney Beaver, the man who was the victim of a brutal assault at the Victoria Inn last weekend had to decide on what they should do with the life of their loved one.

Family members are reporting that the decision has been made, and the family decided to unplug life support.

That was done at 6:00PM this evening.

Ronnie Beaver, the brother of Barney Beaver has been in contact with NetNewsledger through this ordeal for the family.

The family has stayed together through this difficult time.

Pray for the community of Webequie and the Families.
Four years ago, my uncle died of an assault like this, but we didn't get to say goodbye. Hopefully they get justice for what happened.

This is Thunder Bay's third homicide of 2011, and this was the second member of Webequie First Nation to die in a tragedy in Thunder Bay this year. The first was 15-year-old Jordan Wabasse, who was the 8th native youth to be found dead in a river here since 2000.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
Sounds like a lot of trite excuses to me.

If you are qualified for a job, you have the same chance (in some cases a better chance if you are a visible minority) to get a job as any one else. Again, as someone else mentioned getting a higher education is free for a majority of status Indians. The programs are there if people want to use them.

Until a lot of Aboriginals stop pointing the finger at the Federal Government and the "white man" and start looking deeper at themselves and try to correct the social problems from within, you are not going to move anywhere.

I have heard a number of Indians/First Nation people say something similar. One, in particular, I remember saying that our worst enemy now is ourselves and more specifically our Chiefs.

Another First Nation man, whose family is very politically active here in Saskatchewan, said he doesn't feel sorry at all for Attawapiskat. He seemed to think they spent a lot of money on items that weren't necessary and a big chunk of it benefited very few (he was also referring to a Chief) . I also remember him saying once "Aboriginals or whatever the politically correct flavour of the day is." He doesn't mince words ... his childhood was spent in a residential school and when he grew up he joined the Canadian Armed Forces and stayed with them until he hit retirement age.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; Dec 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 4:13 AM
Awesome!

Ottawa got its 11th, 2nd in a row in Barrhaven.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Wo...031/story.html
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 10:50 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
I live in North York (Village at York) and back on July 26th, I was the victim of a home invasion robbery at gunpoint. The men literally broke into my room while I was sleeping like a baby and put a gun to my head and started demanding drugs. The past 119 days and the remaining days in my life have been a gift to me from God.

Luckily I wasn't murdered (obviously), I replaced all the stuff they stole, and the incident was far enough in the past that it doesn't bother me too much anymore.

Just wanted to say that as sort of an ironic response to the "low" murder numbers in North York this year. Almost did me a fat lot of good.
Every city (borough?) has its trouble spots. For Scarborough, this would be most of Eglinton Avenue. For North York, it would be pretty much everything west of Dufferin- the map clearly reflects this reality. Unfortunately for you, Village at York is located in the trouble zone. Glad to hear you survived the break-in, how did they manage to do it?

Quote:
I'm well aware of where they are as are most Torontonians. The murder count I posted included all of that. As for Gentrification not being the only factor for a low rate this year, I agree but it is the reason why for such a large city we have one of the safest downtown's.
Mike was talking about the suburban areas, and you mentioned that the numbers did not include areas like Mississauga. In turn, I pointed out that he was not referring to non-416 suburbs at all. Still don't know what he was trying to accomplish by pointing out that most murders take place in the concrete jungle of western North York. I still don't think gentrification has anything to do with it, because there are plenty of downtowns with working-class populations that remain functional and safe, and Northern Scarborough isn't exactly wealthy by any standards- yet it appears to be one of the safest places in the city.

Last edited by Wharn; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 7:21 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Charge upgraded to murder
Carl Clutchey
Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:00

A 33-year-old man who had been accused in the assault of a long-time Webequie First Nation band office worker has been charged with second-degree murder.
Thunder Bay Police upgraded the charge on Wednesday from aggravated assault, four days after Barney Beaver succumbed to serious injuries in Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
Beaver, 53, was found unconscious in his room at Thunder Bay’s Victoria Inn around noon Dec. 17 by cleaning staff, police said.
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cont...pgraded-murder

Thunder Bay is now officially at 3.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 11:58 AM

4 people shot and killed in Surrey over the holiday season.
Homicide investigators must be run off their feet with another murder early Tuesday in Surrey. The young man was found dead less than 10 hours after a man was fatally shot in Langley last night.

The latest victim was killed about 7:30 a.m. in the 9500-block of 125th Street in Surrey.

Last night, a 38-year-old man was gunned down outside a home in the 9100-block of 207 Street in Langley’s Walnut Grove neighbourhood.

The BC Ambulance Service found the man bleeding in the driveway beside a luxury SUV. Attendants pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team is working with other specialized teams to process the scene, canvass the area and speak with neighbors and witnesses.

“As we are in the preliminary stages of this investigation the details are limited. We are attempting to gather evidence with the intention of leading investigators to the person responsible for this homicide,” Sgt. Jennifer Pound said about 2 a.m. Tuesday of the Langley shooting.

I imagine they are doing the same for the latest Surrey case.

People with information about either murder are asked to call the IHIT tip line at 1-877-551-4448.
IHIT is also the agency investigating the Christmas Eve murder of Bradley McPherson, 28, at a rowdy Surrey holiday party, and the shooting death of 27-year-old convenience store employee Alok Gupta about 4 p.m. on Christmas Day near 96 Avenue and 118 Street in Surrey.
The murder rate across the region is down in 2011 despite the rash of recent violence.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 4:47 PM

Sounds like Calgary is going to end around 12 this year, Edmonton recorded #45 the other day.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 11:46 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay is actually at 4. Somehow I missed one. I can't recall what it might be.

We're at just under 3.5/100,000. Winnipeg, Halifax and Edmonton have higher rates than us, Regina is just below, according to our local news.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quebec City is heading for 2. Lévis (south shore of Quebec City) is at 0.

2 for the Bas St. Laurent (entire area east of Quebec City to the N.B. border) - it was a double murder - suicide or a double suicide - murder.

1 for Thetford Mines (town of 25,000 south-west of Quebec City) and 1 for the Beauce (area south of Quebec City/Lévis to the Maine border).

Populations - Regions south of Quebec City (2 homicides) 200,000
Lévis 137,000
Quebec City (metro includes Lévis, etc.) 715,000
(The city formed in 2002 is about 550,000)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Shooting in Winnipeg last night, number now at 39.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 5:42 PM

A man was shot on the 600 block of Selkirk Avenue. He later succumbed to his injuries in the hospital. A woman was also shot but has recovered. Winnipeg adds one more to the list before less than 24 hours before the new year. Lets hope this record will never be achieved or broken in the future. My prayers to the family and friends of the 39 of those who lost their lives this year in Winnipeg. It is a great city, it just needs some love.

Neighbourhood Perspective:

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/homicides/

North End:
Lord Selkirk Park (Pop. 1 365) = 4
William Whyte (Pop. 6 220) = 2
Dufferin (Pop. 2 090) = 2
St. Johns (Pop. 7 725) = 2
Robertson (Pop. 4 205) = 1
Total (Pop. 21 605) = 11

Downtown:
Portage-Ellice (Pop 1 105) = 3
Central Park (Pop 3 555) = 3
Exchange Dist. (Pop 420) = 3
Total (Pop. 5080) = 9

North Central Winnipeg:
North Point Douglas (Pop. 2 225) = 7
Centennial (Pop. 2 225) = 1
Total (Pop. 4 450) = 8

South Winnipeg:
River-Osbourne (Pop. 4 880) = 2
Fort Richmond (Pop. 11 610) = 1
Munroe East (Pop 8 460) = 1
Niakwa Place (Pop. 2 385) = 1
Riverview (Pop. 4 350) = 1
Total (Pop. 31 685) = 6

West End:
Daniel Mcintyre (Pop. 9 750) = 3
St. Mathews (Pop. 5 575) = 1
Total (Pop. 15 325) = 4

North East Winnipeg:
Beaumont (Pop. 2 360) = 1
Total (Pop. 2 360) = 1

This date:
Winnipeg (Pop. 693 200) = 39
Winnipeg (2010) = 22
Winnipeg (2009) = 29

5.63 / 100 000

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 8:08 PM

So we finish with 35 (1.80/100k) for the year. Par for the course the last few years.

08': 29
09': 31
10': 37

For the whole province, there were 102. 84 last year.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 9:48 PM

St. John's finishes the year with 4 homicides, a rate of about 2.08 per 100,000. This is compared to 3 in 2010, and what I believe was either 0 or 1 in 2009.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 4:38 AM

So assuming nothing happened over New Years that hasnt been reported Halifax is ending at 17 this year .

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 5:26 AM

Journal de Montreal is saying a triple murder - suicide in St. Victor in Beauce back in March 2011. I find this debatable at best. The guy and his ex-wife/girlfriend were off their heads on drugs (coke, I believe) when the car crashed (Stéphane Doyon was driving). I would say that he didn't intend to kill himself and given the state he was in how can we judge what he was thinking.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 5:54 AM

Well Winnipeg has 0. Beat that everyone. Happy New Years. To Edmonton, Halifax and Winnipeg, let's hope we can turn around the stats and set a new type of record for this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada