HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It could be possible to add more luxury boxes in the future, hanging from the ceiling perhaps. But it's unlikely they can add more seats in the bowl.
Yeah we all know how that works out. Just ask anybody who's ever been to Scotiabank Centre in Halifax...

Found this slide show with some renders and seating plans on it. https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Hu...-centre-oct-26

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Mar 7, 2017 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:43 PM

It would take a population boom of epic proportions to ever justify the need and cost of an expansion to this building (even in several decades).

That said, there seems to be an unusual amount of extra height on the south and west sides, I could easily see at least a 5-row hanging balcony, probably 8 rows if you're willing to obstruct the view of the scoreboard for people at the top of the existing bowl. There's a bit less available height on the east side where there are 3 additional rows, but suites could probably be added up there.

Also, I know it takes away from the "grand entrance" at the top of the escalators but it wouldn't be hard to add at least 400 seats by filling the open space in the northeast corner (matching the SE corner).

I would imagine they could theoretically add 2,500 seats in there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:39 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Yeah we all know how that works out. Just ask anybody who's ever been to Scotiabank Centre in Halifax...

Found this slide show with some renders and seating plans on it. https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Hu...-centre-oct-26
It is good to see all the concourse drawings in one place. I wish there were higher resolution images so I zoom in and read the labels and see the layout in more detail.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is good to see all the concourse drawings in one place. I wish there were higher resolution images so I zoom in and read the labels and see the layout in more detail.
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. That's the first time I've seen them together though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:32 PM

Has there been any word on the scoreboard design and also if electronic signage such as this will be installed around the arena?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
Has there been any word on the scoreboard design and also if electronic signage such as this will be installed around the arena?
- The only thing I know about the scoreboard is that it will be retractable into the roof structure of the bowl section to allow for unobstructed views of concerts (and also to avoid conflicts with staging). I imagine it will be a whole new scoreboard with new video displays.

- As for the electronic signage, the February construction update on the city of Moncton website stated that there would be electronic signage of some form around the bowl section of the arena.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 10:53 PM

Indeed, the Coliseum scoreboard is held together with Elmer's Glue, spit and duct tape. Staff there tell me it is literally so far beyond its best before date that they can't believe it's still working. So count on a new score clock.
As for the electronic signage, if memory serves me well there will be elec. signage on two sides of the rink (not all the way around.) I stand to be corrected on this as my memory banks are notoriously porous the older I get, however I believe I'm remembering this correctly.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:00 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Indeed, the Coliseum scoreboard is held together with Elmer's Glue, spit and duct tape. Staff there tell me it is literally so far beyond its best before date that they can't believe it's still working. So count on a new score clock.
As for the electronic signage, if memory serves me well there will be elec. signage on two sides of the rink (not all the way around.) I stand to be corrected on this as my memory banks are notoriously porous the older I get, however I believe I'm remembering this correctly.
Interesting information on the scoreboard.

My memory banks are also experiencing slower access rates and declining capacity; but on the other hand my financial situation keeps improving with age.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:33 PM

I didn't think the Coliseum scoreboard was THAT outdated. Seems to me they went with the current hexagon version sometime around when Moncton hosted the Memorial Cup in 2006. Before then it was the regular old score clock you see in every local rink, only 4 sided. There were also no video screens before that. I believe they also even upgraded the video board as recently as 2014 or 2015. How could it be in such bad shape already?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 6:26 PM

All i know is what I'm told by one of the guys who says he works on it. He used some very strong language when describing its condition.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 2:28 PM

The site is starting to clean up.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 2:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed. Apparently they're planning to start work on the plaza this spring. This likely explains the clean-up.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:37 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
The site is starting to clean up.

This is an impressive looking arena complex.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 11:17 AM

lots of activity in the Plaza section this morning, 3 excavators and a boon truck in the yard looking through the City of Moncton camera.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
lots of activity in the Plaza section this morning, 3 excavators and a boon truck in the yard looking through the City of Moncton camera.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:02 AM

dumb questions from an out-of-towner

Curious as to the primary reasons for building this awesome looking new facility.
I've never been inside the Moncton Coliseum but from photos it looks to be in decent shape, not that old and is above average for capacity in the Q.

On Wikipedia it states City Council voted 8-3 to build the new events centre. Do you guys think if this vote went to referendum it would still pass?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
Curious as to the primary reasons for building this awesome looking new facility.
I've never been inside the Moncton Coliseum but from photos it looks to be in decent shape, not that old and is above average for capacity in the Q.
The Coliseum is in decent shape, and is a good capacity for the Q, but there are still problems with the facility.

1) - it's aging (more than 40 years old)
2) - maintenance costs are increasing
3) - it has serious HVAC issues (no air conditioning at all). A full house can be stifling.
4) - acoustics are very bad
5) - peculiar slanted roof means that many travelling acts and concerts can't use the Coliseum because their staging won't fit.
6) - narrow concourses and aisles, especially around the ends of the arena.
7) - current seating capacity is just a little too small if we want to host World Juniors, Brier, Memorial Cup, figure skating championships etc
8) - current seats are narrow and cramped.

all these issues will be addressed by the new events centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
On Wikipedia it states City Council voted 8-3 to build the new events centre. Do you guys think if this vote went to referendum it would still pass?
There is definitely a vocal minority concerned (not without reason) about their property taxes. The movers and the shakers (and forward thinking people) in the city are strongly in favour of the events centre. The masses however may feel differently. In a referendum, it's possible that the new events centre would be voted down........

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:01 PM

I suspect it would be voted down in a referendum as the very loud minority takes to social media to foment dissent, which even uninformed people are quite adept at.
Many balk at the cost, but fail to see the private investment far surpassing the cost of the arena that has already been announced in the immediate area, with more on the way. It's too bad.

MonctonRad has listed the problems with the Coliseum quite well, perhaps even a bit understated.
Once the capital of concerrts back when the building was new, now we routinely miss out on big shows due to the building's odd roof configuration.
As well, the ventilation issue might seem minor to a fan but is a major problem. During the world men's curling championship, there was water on the ice and fog in the bowl section. This made TV coverage around the world not only a challenge, but made us look like a bunch of nincompoops.It sullied our hard-won reputation as a little city that can easily host world events. Ian Fowler brought in a jackhammer and had holes busted through the walls, with big air machines stuck in the walls haphazardly, in desperation. Imagine that!
I'll add one more. The Coliseum is in the wrong place.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:27 PM

Took a walk through the site this morning. I can tell you the interior pictures (especially) don't do the building justice. The bowl height is HUGE compared to the coliseum (60' vs 35' from ice to rafters, I'm told). Definitely looks deeper and steeper. The walking concourse (behind stands) is spacious, and the entry way is massive.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Took a walk through the site this morning. I can tell you the interior pictures (especially) don't do the building justice. The bowl height is HUGE compared to the coliseum (60' vs 35' from ice to rafters, I'm told). Definitely looks deeper and steeper. The walking concourse (behind stands) is spacious, and the entry way is massive.
Sounds great, can't wait to see it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces