HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Roy Halifax in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 8:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
For about the fourth time in as many months this is going before the PAC and HAC tonight.
Why has it gone before them so many times? I have no idea what happened in the other meetings.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Why has it gone before them so many times? I have no idea what happened in the other meetings.
I should rephrase what I said a bit I think.

The last three or so HAC meetings have been cancelled so the proposal has been ready for months but for reasons I don't know the meetings kept on being cancelled.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
You talkin' to me?

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:32 PM

When I went for my walk the other day I snapped a quick picture of the Roy Building.. It was my favourite of the day but everyone likes the others more..

So no photos of this building posted for a couple of pages so...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeachpunk View Post
When I went for my walk the other day I snapped a quick picture of the Roy Building.. It was my favourite of the day but everyone likes the others more..

So no photos of this building posted for a couple of pages so...
Thanks for the photo. I wonder if the original brick will be saved when the Roy building is redeveloped?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:53 PM

What phase is this project going threw?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:41 AM

Roy Building redevelopment plan stalled
Legislative snag delays public hearing into downtown construction
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Thu. Apr 8 - 4:54 AM

A legislative oversight has delayed a public hearing on the Roy Building development in downtown Halifax.

The development, which includes the demolition of the Barrington Street building, the reconstruction of its historic facade and the construction of a 17-storey tower above it, was to have gone to a public hearing in March, said Rob Landry, property manager with building owner Starfish Properties.

But the hearing was postponed because of the need to amend municipal legislation affecting the project, Landry said Wednesday.

"Nothing is planned at the moment," he said in an interview, adding that the building, which extends to Granville Street, is still leasing space to tenants. "We have no plans to proceed with demolition."

Landry referred questions on whether Starfish is upset about the delay to the Toronto-based company’s principal, Louis Reznick, who was out of the country and couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday.

The legislative issue, which came to light earlier this year, involves "grandfathering" provisions made for the Roy project and for Frank Medjuck’s nearby Discovery Centre building development.

The developments were grandfathered under the Downtown Halifax Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy but require similar provisions under the Barrington Street Heritage Conservation District Revitalization Plan and Bylaw.

A report on the "drafting error" concluded that municipal council would have to refuse both applications since there are no policies in the heritage district plan that would enable council to consider approving them.

Andy Fillmore, HRM’s urban design manager, said in January the errors were "very fixable" but would require a public hearing that would likely draw critics of the developments, which are taller than the heritage district’s 21.6-metre height limit.

Peter Delefes, head of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, said the projects made no sense in a heritage zone and the trust would oppose them.

Medjuck, president of 1595 Investments Ltd., which owns the Discovery Centre building, is still waiting to hear from HRM on what he called a "procedural" matter that doesn’t affect his development plan.

"Nothing has changed," he said Wednesday. "I’m hopeful."

In the meantime, Medjuck has signed an agreement to keep the Discovery Centre at the Barrington Street location and has tweaked the design of the mixed- use complex, which will be shorter than originally planned.

"My inclination is to go residential," he said, noting a lot of new office space is coming on the market.

Medjuck said the approval process may take time — "I’m used to it" — but he didn’t have a fixed timeline to begin construction.

A nearby development, the 27-storey "Twisted Sister" twin tower, is about 18 months away from construction due to protracted municipal approvals that took almost five years, said Navid Saberi of United Gulf Developments Ltd.

Saberi, whose firm moved on to other projects while the Twisted Sister approval process dragged on, said new municipal development rules stifle creativity.

"This city is slow to get things done," he said, noting that three United Gulf condo projects have been under review for almost two years. "It’s ridiculous."

HRM planner Kelly Denty said Wednesday that a staff report on grandfathering provisions for the Barrington heritage conservation bylaw went to council in January and the matter is still "in process."

( berskine@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:43 AM

^Damn you literally just beat me by a minute to post that.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
"This city is slow to get things done," he said, noting that three United Gulf condo projects have been under review for almost two years. "It’s ridiculous."
I took this quote from the article posted above. This is what frustrates me. It is no wonder that companies are building in the suburbs instead of downtown Halifax. Heritage has been both good and bad for Halifax. It is getting to the point where it is killing the downtown. Add the HRM bureaucracy to the heritage issue and it is easy to see how politicians and special interest groups can halt growth in a city. This is residential which is exactly what is needed in downtown Halifax to support retail.

Quote:
Andy Fillmore, HRM’s urban design manager, said in January the errors were "very fixable" but would require a public hearing that would likely draw critics of the developments, which are taller than the heritage district’s 21.6-metre height limit.
Why does everything require a public inquiry? This was already discussed prior to the HRM by Design. Does the city really need to be paying the salary of an urban design manager? It seems that the city needs more staff with economics and commerce background not additional heritage focused architects.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Why does everything require a public inquiry? This was already discussed prior to the HRM by Design. Does the city really need to be paying the salary of an urban design manager? It seems that the city needs more staff with economics and commerce background not additional heritage focused architects.
It is standard procedure for any substantive amendment to a municipal planning strategy to require a public hearing. It happens in most cities.

And with regards to Andy. I think he is great. If you look at the buildings built in this cityin the last fifty years, I believe a urban design manager is exactly what we need. It's the economics and commerce people that gave us the downtown we have today. Perhaps we woulnd't be in such rough shape if we had had more people thinking about the downtown and a whole and how each new building integrates into that whole.

I thought the article was pretty positive. As was the convention center article today. I felt somewhat refreshed reading them, even though they both spoke of delays. I'm glad to hear that the discovery centre will be staying downtown and I look forward to seeing the revised design for that building.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
If you look at the buildings built in this cityin the last fifty years, I believe a urban design manager is exactly what we need. It's the economics and commerce people that gave us the downtown we have today. Perhaps we woulnd't be in such rough shape if we had had more people thinking about the downtown and a whole and how each new building integrates into that whole.
I agree. We need more people in the planning department with some vision and the ability to look beyond each individual development proposal. This sort of piecemeal ad-hoc approach to development in Halifax is partially the fault of its mostly economic/engineering approach to urban planning. The city needs people with the ability to work at various scales to develop both flexible regional strategies, as well as encourage sound urbanism/urban design principles. The fact that there is only one person responsible for urban design issues, while there are numerous planners trained in the 'fine art' of subdivision planning is a big factor in the poor support and decisions made for/on the peninsula in the past 20 years.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 4:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
It is standard procedure for any substantive amendment to a municipal planning strategy to require a public hearing. It happens in most cities.

And with regards to Andy. I think he is great. If you look at the buildings built in this cityin the last fifty years, I believe a urban design manager is exactly what we need. It's the economics and commerce people that gave us the downtown we have today. Perhaps we woulnd't be in such rough shape if we had had more people thinking about the downtown and a whole and how each new building integrates into that whole.

I thought the article was pretty positive. As was the convention center article today. I felt somewhat refreshed reading them, even though they both spoke of delays. I'm glad to hear that the discovery centre will be staying downtown and I look forward to seeing the revised design for that building.
I agree with most of what you have said. However, the city must also be fair since they promised to grandfather these development in. If they aren't fair then someone could end up taking a loss or have to walk away from a development. The city should be doing all that they can to speed up the process for the sake of the businessmen and developers who keep the city moving forward. The alternative is a dead and decaying downtown.

The usual speed of "at the leisure and convenience of the city" is not good enough to help Halifax move forward.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Bottom line is that there's something seriously wrong if it takes years to decide whether or not to allow a development to move forward.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It's a pretty standard proceedure in most planning legislation. Regardless of whether it's a substantial amendment or not - it must go through the Bylaw process.

I know in Alberta, it says quite clearly in our Municipal Government - every Bylaw must have 3 readings. Public Hearing occurs before 2nd (at least it does here in Calgary) and because in order for zoning maps and bylaws to be amended, it needs a bylaw to do it - public hearing it is!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
I agree. We need more people in the planning department with some vision and the ability to look beyond each individual development proposal.
Only if we can get rid of twice as many existing planners at HRM as new ones get hired. There are far too many of these people that contribute little yet chew up huge amounts of time and money.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that the discovery centre will be staying downtown and I look forward to seeing the revised design for that building.
Agreed, also glad to hear this project may become residential since their are already office projects further along in the process. Downtown needs many more people before anything really turns around.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Bottom line is that there's something seriously wrong if it takes years to decide whether or not to allow a development to move forward.
And from what i can see its taking what i believe long to get things approved under HRM by design so far.

What one project so far, with a couple waiting still.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 5:40 AM

I don't want to bash my fellow professional planners - bureaucracy works in strange ways. There are advantages to the system that HRM has; where the planners do most of the work and then the Development Officer does the permit. There are also inherent disadvantages.

For example the City of Edmonton has planners that do the zoning only; they don't do the permit work (much like HRM) and then a DO approves or refuses the permit. Then they have special planners who only work on policy work for broad (city wide) right to specific areas (downtown area plans).

In Calgary it's way more complicated. A team of planners does the zoning, then another group of planners or techs does the permit work and signs off. Then there is a team of policy planners that are region wide, specific areas and one team for downtown. The regional group also works with the surrounding County's or City's on administrating a regional plan, which all groups agreed upon.

After looking at Calgary's process, versus HRM's - with some tweaking I am sure HRM's could work well. I'd love to come back and practice, just the pay difference would be killer (i'm not the only one). But I'm sure as I get a bit older; that will change.

It just takes someone to think out of the box to ask the complex questions - that's the start of making the process better, but both Edmonton and Calgary have their problems. I know of stuff going forward for public hearings in both cities that are 5 years old and only now getting a decision!! So I'd say each place has it's own problems - no where is perfect.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 12:43 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
Agreed, also glad to hear this project may become residential since their are already office projects further along in the process. Downtown needs many more people before anything really turns around.
Totally agree. Downtown will continue to be empty and will never be able to support retail until more people are living there. The Discovery Centre proposal and the UG development have the potential, if built, to be a majot catalyst for changing the direction of downtown. I would argue that those two together would have far more impact on the turn-around of downtown than the Nova Centre would.

Barrington will never again be able to support large scale retail (e.g. the sort of Woolworth's size retail), but people who would choose to live at UG for example are doing so because they want to be able to walk to amenities, and will therefore need the sorts of day-to-day shopping that those people will need.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 1:55 PM

RAH! RAGE!
Lol. I was hoping this one would go through without a hitch, Roy looks like crap on the outside but inside it is quite nice. Residential would be a welcome addition here, if this and the discovery centre proposals go residential we would get a good influx of people downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth