HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 3:29 PM

Four companies to submit proposals for new justice centre expected to be open in Moncton within next two years

Times & Transcript Staff
A11

Construction of Metro Moncton's long-awaited justice complex will begin late this summer.

Jack Keir, acting supply and services minister, announced the next step in the project yesterday in the legislature by issuing a request for proposals.

Four developers have been short-listed to submit proposals.

"This request for proposals represents the next major step in the development of this important infrastructure project for the Moncton region," Keir said. "We expect a private sector partner will be identified by late spring with construction of the new courthouse to begin in the late summer of 2008."

The four companies short-listed to submit proposals are Ashford Investments Inc. of Moncton, Bore Park Place Inc. of Moncton, Huntingdon Real Estate Investment of Winnipeg and CitiGroup Properties of Dartmouth. The Department of Supply and Services has said the companies from outside the province have partnered with local businesses. The deadline for submissions is June 27, 2008.

That means residents won't have a clear idea of where the $47 million complex will be located until that time. Two of the companies have proposed using downtown parcels of land, while the other two businesses want to build the complex on the former Beaver Lumber property.

The departments of justice and supply and services will review the submissions. The proposals must clearly include a time frame for the project, construction methods, quality assurance, financing arrangements and how the company plans to operate and maintain the facility.

The chosen company will construct, finance, operate and maintain the new justice complex. The provincial government will lease the facility.

"This important project is moving forward. The RFP is the next major step. We are encouraging developers to be competitive and to be our partners in improving the justice system," said Keir.

The courthouse will house 15 courtrooms and court staff as well as Sheriff Services, Victim Services, Probation Services, Family Support Services including mediation, Crown prosecutors and a law library.

The previous provincial Conservative government had gone so far as to hold a sod-turning ceremony at the corner of Assumption Boulevard and Westmorland Street back in the summer of 2005, but concerns raised about security and the site led to delays in the project, which was initially supposed to be opened by now. At the time of the 2005 announcement, that completion date had been moved to spring 2008. The new, more extensive facility is now expected to be completed by 2009-2010.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Despite bad weather, Moncton continues to have busiest market and above-average home prices in March

Although the housing market in Metro has cooled somewhat from its record-breaking sales of the last few years, it is still going strong. These homes are being built on Squire Avenue in the back section of Riverview.

BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

After several years of record-setting home sales, New Brunswick's real estate market is starting to settle back to normal levels, according to the New Brunswick Real Estate Association.
Caption
Greg Agnew/Times & Transcript
Although the housing market in Metro has cooled somewhat from its record-breaking sales of the last few years, it is still going strong. These homes are being built on Squire Avenue in the back section of Riverview.

But the Metro Moncton market continues to lead the charge with higher than average home prices and more homes sold than Fredericton or Saint John during March. The average price of a home in Moncton also surpassed the average in Saint John in March.

The association reported yesterday that a total of 570 properties were sold in New Brunswick through the MLS (multiple listing service) system in March. That is a 26 per cent decline compared to March 2007, which was a record-setting month for sales. The value of MLS sales in New Brunswick was $70,359,192 in March, an increase of two per cent from February but a 22 per cent decline compared to total MLS sales in March 2007.

"The real estate market in the province remains solid, but is cooling down from the record setting levels of the past three or four years," said Dwayne Hayes, president of the New Brunswick Real Estate Association.

"Unlike the real estate market in the United States, the cooling has been gradual, and there has not been a loss in the average price of residential properties sold through MLS.

The association said a total of 514 residential properties sold through the MLS system in New Brunswick, which is down 24 per cent from March of 2007. The total value of those residential sales was $70,359,192, a 20 per cent decline compared to March of 2007.

"Residential sales were most active in Moncton in March, and least active in rural areas of the province," the report said. The average residential price in New Brunswick in March was $136,207, an increase of five per cent compared to March of last year. The average home price in Moncton in March was $142,806, just slightly below the average price of $146,477 in Fredericton, and above the average price in Saint John of $140,491. The average prices in northern N.B. were much lower at $51,569.

MLS is a an advertising service provided by realtors across Canada. Not all homes for sale are listed through the service, but it does include about 80 per cent.

Earlier this week, a Re/Max spokesman in Moncton said sales have been lower this year to date and that can be partially attributed to the weather being colder and wetter than normal. Now that warmer weather has arrived, more homes are being put on the market. Re/Max said this week that first-time home buyers continue to drive the market across Canada and there are not enough properties available to satisfy the demand.

Quick facts

Value of MLS (multiple listing service) sales in New Brunswick for March, 2008. Bracketed figures are from March 2007.

* Moncton $28,418,418 ($30,726,453)
* Fredericton $18,729,628 ($29,994,997)
* Saint John $21,354,583 ($26,732,245)
* Northern N.B. $1,856,500 ($3,521,750)
* All of N.B. $70,359,192 ($90,975,445)

Average MLS price for homes in March of 2008.

* Moncton $142,806 ($134,177)
* Fredericton $147,477 ($145,607)
* Saint John $140,491 ($143,722)
* Northern N.B. $51,569 (nA)
* All of N.B. $136,886 ($137,001)

Source: New Brunswick Real Estate Association.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nation-wide pressure on Ottawa needed to fix staffing shortages, say officials

A13
By MARC HUDON

OTTAWA - A nation-wide alliance of business leaders and provincial government officials must be created to put pressure on the federal Conservatives to remedy customs staffing shortages at small airports across Canada, says the CEO of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce.

"We need to look at how to mobilize all of our resources as a group and get that plan of action in place," said Valerie Roy. "It's time to see what we can do to work together from a grassroots perspective."

She said fewer international flights to the Moncton area translates into fewer business travellers and less economic development in the region.

Canada Border Services Agency officers staff the Moncton and Fredericton international airports weekdays during standard business hours.

That means international carriers who want to do business with the airports must try to schedule arrivals between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. or pay extra fees of up to $200,000 annually to have customs officers work overtime to process travellers and goods arriving from international destinations.

Moncton airport officials have said the expensive practice recently cost the city a chance at securing a second daily flight to New York City.

Anthony Knight, general manager of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce, said the provincial government has made no secret of its long-term plan to try to attract international business opportunities.

"It's very sensitive when governments start criticizing governments," he said. "I can't see how the province wouldn't see this as a challenge when they are knocking on doors, promoting the fact that New Brunswick is open for business."

Business New Brunswick Minister Greg Byrne said his department is actively pursuing the file, adding he's written letters to Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day and New Brunswick Southwest Conservative MP Greg Thompson about the issue.

"But to date we have not had the definitive action that we need," said Byrne. "Certainly, we are going to continue to push the issue... It has lost opportunities."

Members of the business community have argued limited air service also encourages businesses to look beyond the province to Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario for better opportunities.

John Brent, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said yesterday Ottawa is developing options.

Officials from the Canadian Airports Council are scheduled to meet with Day next week.

Real Robichaud, executive director of the New Brunswick Tourism Association, said recession fallout in Canada and the U.S. has some North American travellers tightening their purse strings.

He said that has tourism operators in N.B. banking on European and Asian visitors to pick up the slack.

Both he and Moncton airport CEO Rob Robichaud were in Montreal this week to discuss the issue at the Canadian Airports Council's annual meetings.

The Conservatives recently earmarked $75 million to increase the number of border services officers at points of entry across Canada. Innes said a $2 million commitment by the federal government would adequately address staffing shortfalls at small airports.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another big show headed to Moncton

Published Saturday April 26th, 2008
D10
The sleuth
GOSSIP FROM N.B.’S FAVOURITE RUMOUR-MONGER

There's nothing quite like the sound of sweet music and it is clear there will be plenty of it over the next six months in Moncton.

There have been years -- not long ago -- when music fans bemoaned the utter lack of anything worth attending at the Coliseum. But times have changed. Sleuth could even suggest ol' Metro is now the music capital of the East Coast!

Confirmed to play in our not-so-sleepy little borough over the next six months are such music stars as: Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, George Thorogood, Simple Plan, Avril Lavigne, Alice Cooper and The Blue Man Group. And that doesn't even count the big Magnetic Hill Music Festival on Aug. 2 featuring The Eagles, John Fogerty, K.T. Tunstall and the Sam Roberts Band.

That impressive slate comes on the heels of an already good year which has featured Ozzy Osborne, Michael Bublé, Blue Rodeo, Anne Murray and George Jones.

While some in the know may be worried whether the Metro market can sustain such a pace, Sleuth hears that ticket sales for the shows already on sale are going well. And the big Eagles' show has already hit the 50,000 ticket mark with three months to go. What could possibly top such a blockbuster year? Well, Sleuth was let in on a secret this week that will have music fans blinking their eyes in disbelief soon.

This old gumshoe hears that a concert will soon be announced for the fall featuring one of pop music's all-time biggest stars. Sleuth hears the deal has been signed, spotlights ordered, grand piano booked and glitter readied. Get ready for news any day now on a concert by a performer with the initials E.J., a man who will rocket local fans to the moon!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 7:17 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Wow! lots of good news today...4 proposals for the justice center, cant wait til the renders come out...

Housing sales went down slightly, but not much at all compared to the rest of the province...

The bad news is that stupid customs thing which seems to be one of the main thorns in our side...cant wait til that is sorted out.

Sleuth brings interesting "news"...If Elton came to town this summer could easily surpass 2005 as the best year for the Hill concert site. I wonder if it will really hold water though, I dont like to get my hopes up too much before I hear reliable info.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:18 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Wow! lots of good news today...4 proposals for the justice center, cant wait til the renders come out...

Housing sales went down slightly, but not much at all compared to the rest of the province...

The bad news is that stupid customs thing which seems to be one of the main thorns in our side...cant wait til that is sorted out.

Sleuth brings interesting "news"...If Elton came to town this summer could easily surpass 2005 as the best year for the Hill concert site. I wonder if it will really hold water though, I dont like to get my hopes up too much before I hear reliable info.
The Elton rumour has been tossed around for a while, and it is true that hes supposed to come.

But he is supposed to be playing smaller venues on this tour. The rumour has been that he will play Harbour Station, The Coliseum, and the Metro Centre.

edit: I was just on a concert forum, and someone who knows someone in the know, told me that his friend is slated to work for the Elton show in both Moncton and Halifax. So it looks like its probably a go.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:34 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
The Elton rumour has been tossed around for a while, and it is true that hes supposed to come.

But he is supposed to be playing smaller venues on this tour. The rumour has been that he will play Harbour Station, The Coliseum, and the Metro Centre.

edit: I was just on a concert forum, and someone who knows someone in the know, told me that his friend is slated to work for the Elton show in both Moncton and Halifax. So it looks like its probably a go.
Cool! hes usually a pretty good draw...I personally wouldnt go see him, but hey its all good

So you expect he will be playing the Coliseum and Metro Center and not the outdoor sites?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:38 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Cool! hes usually a pretty good draw...I personally wouldnt go see him, but hey its all good

So you expect he will be playing the Coliseum and Metro Center and not the outdoor sites?
Yep, I'm almost 100% sure. Because he stated that he would be playing all small indoor venues this tour. He actually hates playing outdoor sites and generally refuses to do it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:41 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Yep, I'm almost 100% sure. Because he stated that he would be playing all small indoor venues this tour. He actually hates playing outdoor sites and generally refuses to do it.
Cool, I didnt know that...too bad for him could make a lot more money with huge outdoor concerts Im sure, but I guess thats not his style.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 12:49 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Cool, I didnt know that...too bad for him could make a lot more money with huge outdoor concerts Im sure, but I guess thats not his style.
I really don't think Elton John does concerts for the money...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 1:43 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I really don't think Elton John does concerts for the money...
you're probably right, hes got enough to go around Id say.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:40 PM

Dieppe city council approves development of business park
Two new streets will be created, sidewalks, lights installed

A4Times & Transcript Staff

Dieppe will continue to grow this construction season with city council on Monday approving the next step in development of the Dieppe Business Park in the area of Dieppe Boulevard.

Two new streets will be created: Aquatique Street and Principale-Ouest Avenue, while developer Concorde Atlantic Inc. will also build the sidewalks and install street lighting. The city and developer will share the cost of retention ponds that will be built to ensure water runoff from the development does not exceed pre-development runoff volumes.

The intersection of Principale-Ouest and Dieppe Boulevard will have limited access, with only right-hand turns permitted. Future traffic lights at the corner of Dieppe Boulevard and Aquatique Street will be cost-shared with the city.

A contract to extend Aquatique Street to provide access and municipal services to the aquatic centre was awarded to Beale and Inch Construction Limited, at $1.2 million.

Meanwhile, the city has opted not to purchase performance bonds and labour material payment bonds to cover the work being done on the city's under-construction aquatic centre. Council agreed not to purchase the bonds since, in council's opinion, main contractor Ellis Don has ample subguard contract-default insurance covering subcontractors working on the facility.

The move saves the city $77,000.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 6:45 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Cool! Downtown Dieppe will continue to grow...before long Moncton downtown and Dieppe downtown will merge haha.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 6:50 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I went over to Riverview today and took a few cruddy skyline panos...Ill post em tomorrow maybe

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 7:33 PM

George is everywhere in town. He seem to have a strong team and a really huge marketing plan as well.

http://www.georgeleblanc.ca/fr_index.php

Lets vote for George ! ( He strongly supports convention center / Arena projects ....)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:55 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Heres his "Action plan" sounds pretty good, obviously section 4 "downtown development" is my favorite, but hes got some other good ideas too

http://georgeleblanc.ca/webcura/file...onplan2008.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Cool! Downtown Dieppe will continue to grow...before long Moncton downtown and Dieppe downtown will merge haha.
Maybe because I`m coming from outside the city I do not make any significant difference between both communities (except maybe Dieppe Vs Moncton city council). To me its all about the same even though Dieppe is basicly more french speaking (sometime, I go there when I feel to get french services). Of course, I`ll will not make friends through Acadie(a)ns with such comments.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Apr 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 9:18 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Maybe because I`m coming from outside the city I do not make any significant difference between both communities (except maybe Dieppe Vs Moncton city council). To me its all about the same even though Dieppe is basicly more french speaking. Of course, I`ll will not make friends throughout Acadie(a)ns with such comments. ( I go there when I feel to have get french services)
Well I dont really either, untill I was like 15 I didnt even know it was something other than moncton...because for example when you come into dieppe from Elmwood the only "line" between the two cities is the highway overpass which has is highly developed on either side on either side...so really its the same city unless you know about where the "line" is. Same thing when you come in from Main street, but there its a bit easier to tell because of the stream which is the "line" there and there is a big "welcome to Dieppe" sign

Really the Moncton, Dieppe and Riverwiew should have been amalgamated ages ago, if not for the language difference Im sure they would have. When you have one city of almost 100,000 it looks better on paper then 3 "seperate" (but not really) places of 60,000 and 2x 20,000. Oh well...some day maybe we will smarten up

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 9:35 PM

Yeah, its all about language differences. Like Myles said earlier, Riverview wants to stay english-only and Dieppe French-Oriented.

I have to say either biculturalism and bilingualism really served as a economic as well as demographic catalysm for Moncton, the fact the city is a bilingual represents a great advantage over other areas.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 9:54 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I mean anyone who looked at this: who wasnt from around here would assume that it was one city, its a continuous urban area, divided by a river...just like Fredericton or Saskatoon, or any number of cities.

Little do they realize that the map should look like this

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
Our Tide is Rising

now that I look at that map I realize its out of date...it doesnt have the new connecter for vaughn harvey and the new riverview ring road which BTW is 70kn/h now thank God...before it was 50 but everyone drove 80...I was just hoping evertime I was on it there were no cops cause that would be a hefty fine Im sure, altough they would prolly be going 80 too haha. Its just natural on a road like that.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 10:31 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Heres what the map should look like, with new roads in red

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 10:52 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Driving up mountain rd yesterday I saw two new signs up with renders for strip mall type developments...Ill get pics sometime if I get a chance...also Prestige Homes set up a new office near the new Jean Coutou on mountain rd as well within the last month or so with demo homes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces