HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
^ Yeah I agree. Not gonna go as far as saying that Grand Plaza or AMLI are blessings, but diversity is always a good thing for the cityscape. Now that we're seeing more of it in River North, it takes the sting out of some of the real sham developments, and I'll be peeling bananas once we get more rumblings of OCS site prep.
I would agree. "River North beige" as we have lovingly referred to it is going to gradually get balanced out with all these other developments, and this might eventually evolve into an interesting streetscape.

My only hope is that some day at least some of the more horrible parking podiums get redeveloped into something more active. As lots get gobbled up and as the need for so much parking diminishes, I can see a day where at least some of those garages can have a partial transformation into apartments. I would love to see microapartments created in many of these spaces.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My only hope is that some day at least some of the more horrible parking podiums get redeveloped into something more active. As lots get gobbled up and as the need for so much parking diminishes, I can see a day where at least some of those garages can have a partial transformation into apartments. I would love to see microapartments created in many of these spaces.
Ooh i like this microapartment proposal, as long as they aren't inhumanely small. They would actually be perfect as alternative housing for the thousands of college kids in the loop and would give lower income folks a chance to live in the core. Those parking podiums definitely need to be reinvented.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I would agree. "River North beige" as we have lovingly referred to it is going to gradually get balanced out with all these other developments, and this might eventually evolve into an interesting streetscape.

Or they could be knocked down, and depending on future zoning allowances, developed into another large tower. Why do they need to stay at all if parking requirements are not part of the plan in 15-20 years?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Or they could be knocked down, and depending on future zoning allowances, developed into another large tower. Why do they need to stay at all if parking requirements are not part of the plan in 15-20 years?
Why not both? and also converting some podiums to parks so we can build more social infrastructure in River North. Not every lot is going to result in a new tower and perhaps the one good thing about these podiums is that they facilitate open space to view the cityscape. That's something I really miss about Chicago. Having a skyline isn't that amazing if you can't even see it. That's the problem with Manhattan.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Why do they need to stay at all if parking requirements are not part of the plan in 15-20 years?
Because the ridiculous expense of demolishing a building when it still has 80 or more years of useful life left in it means that it's more practical, in terms of time, money, and resources to simply adapt the building to new uses rather than tearing it down.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:19 PM
TL;DR

^ I've heard of some new parking podiums and garages being designed with slightly higher ceilings and less sloped/more flat floorplates to make a residential conversion much easier in a few decades. That spiral ramp on Trump, for example, can be demolished leaving perfectly flat floorplates ready for a conversion.

I've never seen a detailed estimate on how much it costs per SF to do a conversion like this, there's only a handful of cases where this has actually been done, and usually they are older garages from the mid-century era and each one is unique.

This seems like it would be harder for a lot of downtown highrises, if you're squeezing a multi-story garage onto a typical tight River North site then your entire garage is gonna be sloped.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:00 AM

Personally I think parking podium space is much more valuable as workshops, artist studios, etc then just more residences. Build more towers for those.
I think a condo would be much more valuable if there was real large space in the building to do work, make a mess, build something, do stuff.
That’s what I have a garage, driveway and backyard for.

100 years from now people will still exist in this material world.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:44 AM

Yeah, storage space seems likely for the ones that are too sloped to be converted into residential space. I mean that's basically what parking garages already are in a way...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:49 AM

The Mill:

... still waiting for the week this puppy pops into view

Gr333n:

Edit: I just realized you can see a really good reflection of WPE in Riverpoint's glass

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:47 AM
Chicago

Alta Grand Central - Wells and Harrison

October 3, 2018

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:40 PM

Oct 4 2018

SoMi Tower (far right) is now well above that water tower. And Vista has formed a new peak, but it's going to look very skinny compared to the others from this angle.

Last edited by aaron38; Oct 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, what an amazing shot!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:49 AM

Old Town Park

Sept 27

Where the cistern lays buried

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:41 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I would totally go to Walter Payton Prep...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:55 AM
Chicago

180 N Ada

October 4, 2018

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

Crains reporting that Thor Equities was able to buy the property with The Mid nightclub in west loop which was the last piece of land they needed to purchase to own than entire block.

They want to tear everything down and build a 400k square ft office building that's 20 stories there. It mentions that they struck a deal already with the band Rascal Flatts on a restaurant for it and there could be other retail space. This is across the street from Gr333n. Building designed by SOM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:38 PM

Yeah, that's the beginning of the end of the West Loop when a band like Rascal Flats opens a bar there. Rosemont Plaza City Experience here we come! All we need is an Adobe Gilas and indoor skydiving and the neighborhood will have evolved to it's final form. Also I expect to start seeing retailers like Gap and JCrew, maybe even a Talbot's pop up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
October 4, 2018

Who are the assholes who go around painting face brick in this city? It destroys the brick and is ugly as hell. What's wrong with (or Better than) red 125+ year old brick? I mean I get why someone in a poor or rundown area of town might do it to avoid tuckpointing or something, but what motivates a property owner in the West Loop to do something so stupid and ugly?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:22 PM

especially since hey idiot your building is on a corner.. hint: we can see the other part

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:00 PM

Maybe they want to extend the River North beige to the West?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Who are the assholes who go around painting face brick in this city? It destroys the brick and is ugly as hell. What's wrong with (or Better than) red 125+ year old brick? I mean I get why someone in a poor or rundown area of town might do it to avoid tuckpointing or something, but what motivates a property owner in the West Loop to do something so stupid and ugly?
i hear you.

it's a major pet peeve of mine as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations