HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

    

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #921  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:01 PM
Jim in Chicago Jim in Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
What's with the line of red vans. The Amazon Employee shuttles?

I'm surprised to see that band of something sticking out above the Congress cut through is still in the renderings. They certainly don't look original to the building, and are sort of ugly. Anyone know what they are?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #922  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:23 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
What's with the line of red vans. The Amazon Employee shuttles?
?
I assumed those were food trucks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #923  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:44 PM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,459
This will be especially cool if the riverwalk ever gets built out in front of 300 S. riverside.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #924  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:15 PM
Khantilever Khantilever is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Isn't that Riverwalk plaza where the first tower was proposed under the PD?
I believe so. The shorter, first phase tower would be north of Congress, and the mega tall in phase two would go on the southern side.

The fact that they're not showing a plaza south of congress makes me hopeful that they believe something can still go there in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #925  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:41 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,716
Quite a lot of activities available on the rooftop



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #926  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:40 AM
denizen467 denizen467 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Quite a lot of activities available on the rooftop
Well it is big enough you could play the Super Bowl on it.

Those interior renders really look like they are cloning ideas done at Merch Mart. That's a good thing, although it seems they are omitting the idea of giant atrium light wells seen in some past proposals.

That first render suggests an underbridge at VanBuren, and there certainly is dead space along the river at 300 South. (Curiously, there is a roadway visible there in Google Earth; I assume that's just railroad property?) Really, 300 South needs to be torn down and the whole half-block redeveloped from scratch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #927  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:48 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 16,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Really, 300 South needs to be torn down and the whole half-block redeveloped from scratch.
I'd be more worried about replacing what's on the opposite side of Canal (the parking garage and that bus depot, which I hope is just temporary).
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #928  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:20 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,340
Look up union station redevelopment plans, the garage and bus depot will not remain long term.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #929  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:59 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 16,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Look up union station redevelopment plans, the garage and bus depot will not remain long term.
Got it. Shame they're not building this:



Amazon?
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #930  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:50 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Got it. Shame they're not building this:

Amazon?
You never know. I believe the block with the parking garage and transit center is slated to get up to 2 million square feet of office space in the Union Station redevelopment. If Amazon moves to the OPO, they would eventually need to expand. This would be perfect for them since its only 1 block away. They might even use that SOM design proposed by Sterling Bay as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #931  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:40 PM
Khantilever Khantilever is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
You never know. I believe the block with the parking garage and transit center is slated to get up to 2 million square feet of office space in the Union Station redevelopment. If Amazon moves to the OPO, they would eventually need to expand. This would be perfect for them since its only 1 block away. They might even use that SOM design proposed by Sterling Bay as well.
Considering Amtrak was seeking that much space even before/without Amazon, I wonder if they'd go back to the drawing board and plan for even more square footage if Amazon chooses Chicago - whether or not Amazon wants this site in particular. My impression is that the parking lot does not have tracks running underneath, so there shouldn't be a technical impediment to an even larger skyscraper.

Even if Amazon went with the Post Office and expanded around there and/or across the river, there would probably still be a ton of additional demand for the Union Station site from firms interested in co-locating.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #932  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:33 AM
LaSalle.St.Station's Avatar
LaSalle.St.Station LaSalle.St.Station is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Considering Amtrak was seeking that much space even before/without Amazon, I wonder if they'd go back to the drawing board and plan for even more square footage if Amazon chooses Chicago - whether or not Amazon wants this site in particular. My impression is that the parking lot does not have tracks running underneath, so there shouldn't be a technical impediment to an even larger skyscraper.

Even if Amazon went with the Post Office and expanded around there and/or across the river, there would probably still be a ton of additional demand for the Union Station site from firms interested in co-locating.
With or without the Lucas Musuem, i hope the new post office building gets relocated within the next 20 yeas
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #933  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:37 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is online now
Team Alinghi
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,077
Another permit yesterday:

"Level 2 & 4+5e for marketing office & spec office suite"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #934  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:32 PM
Khantilever Khantilever is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 241
The presence of a massive highway, with its attendant noise and pollution, is one thing about this development that keeps bugging me. This would look great as part of the pitch for this site to Amazon, even if it's just a way of the City saying "we're willing to think creatively."

Check out Studio Gang's concept at the Chicago Architecture Biennial's "Chicago Urban River Edges Ideas Lab" exhibition: https://archpaper.com/2017/09/future...lery-0-slide-7
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #935  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:35 AM
SammisAran SammisAran is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
The presence of a massive highway, with its attendant noise and pollution, is one thing about this development that keeps bugging me. This would look great as part of the pitch for this site to Amazon, even if it's just a way of the City saying "we're willing to think creatively."

Check out Studio Gang's concept at the Chicago Architecture Biennial's "Chicago Urban River Edges Ideas Lab" exhibition: https://archpaper.com/2017/09/future...lery-0-slide-7
Studio Gang's mock-up makes for a cool idea, but it's unlikely that they'd be able to cover the highway in any sort of way on the east side of the building, or even extend the riverwalk south the highway.

The bridge over the river needs to be able to lift, and their concept deleted the control house. Also, there's the highway signage that got removed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #936  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:33 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 14,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
The presence of a massive highway, with its attendant noise and pollution, is one thing about this development that keeps bugging me. This would look great as part of the pitch for this site to Amazon, even if it's just a way of the City saying "we're willing to think creatively."

Check out Studio Gang's concept at the Chicago Architecture Biennial's "Chicago Urban River Edges Ideas Lab" exhibition: https://archpaper.com/2017/09/future...lery-0-slide-7
Are you kidding? The highway running under the post office is one of the wonderfully dramatic aspects of this building. Who does that these days?

It's mid century (highway) running under an Art Deco prewar monster, all of it dedicated to distribution and transportation. What awesome symbolism for a company like Amazon, and nobody can replicate that today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #937  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:45 AM
Khantilever Khantilever is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammisAran View Post
Studio Gang's mock-up makes for a cool idea, but it's unlikely that they'd be able to cover the highway in any sort of way on the east side of the building, or even extend the riverwalk south the highway.

The bridge over the river needs to be able to lift, and their concept deleted the control house. Also, there's the highway signage that got removed.
Oh, good point, I didn't think about the bridge. But as for extending the river walk, I would hope there's some way of improving connectivity across the highway that doesn't go through the post office, assuming the developer eventually wants to build on the site of the factory (or whatever that is).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #938  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:49 AM
Khantilever Khantilever is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Are you kidding? The highway running under the post office is one of the wonderfully dramatic aspects of this building. Who does that these days?

It's mid century (highway) running under an Art Deco prewar monster, all of it dedicated to distribution and transportation. What awesome symbolism for a company like Amazon, and nobody can replicate that today.
Don't get me wrong, I love it! Driving under the post office and popping out over the river is always an awesome experience. And the symbolism is great. I just meant that if there's all this green space next to the highway and on the roof of the post office, I hope the noise/fumes and potential disconnect between the north and south sides of the parcel aren't an issue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #939  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:07 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It's mid century (highway) running under an Art Deco prewar monster, all of it dedicated to distribution and transportation. What awesome symbolism for a company like Amazon, and nobody can replicate that today.
You just blew my mind
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #940  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:01 PM
SammisAran SammisAran is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Oh, good point, I didn't think about the bridge. But as for extending the river walk, I would hope there's some way of improving connectivity across the highway that doesn't go through the post office, assuming the developer eventually wants to build on the site of the factory (or whatever that is).
I don't think there is any plan to develop the area between the OPO and the river, south of the highway, but north of Harrison. I've heard that building referred to as the "Sugar Shack". There's already been some work that has been done under/in/near that building for the utilities, and I think it would make any significant building in that area difficult to develop.

Going further south than Harrison with any river walk would likely get veto'ed by the actual Post office since that's a loading bay area near the river, and even further south is a big ComEd substation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.