HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:59 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
@PhxByrd...an AZ Driver's License is not a proof of citizenship. What gives you that idea? You don't need to be a citizen to have a diver's license. I just went to the DMV with my British friend who is here on a visa to get a license. His visa expires in 3 months. His license? 2050.
When I attended college in California while still claiming residency in Arizona, I lost track of the number of times cashiers at the supermarket thought my drivers license was fake when I tried to buy liquor, on account of the absurd expiration date (mine expires in 2048).

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:00 AM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post

I'd be interested to see a pole about SB 1070 of only native Arizonans. I have a feeling we (as I am one) would generally be far more tolerant of immigration as we've come to realize how important it is to our state and likely have grown up with Hispanic immigrants, legal and otherwise.
"poll"

Yes, that is interesting you mentioned that. I was thinking just the same thing today.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:34 AM

Ok gylnn, you are correct I didn't form my statement correctly. An AZDL is proof of legal residency, or your right to be in Arizona. Your friend will need to renew his visa or go back to the UK. If he doesn't he will become a fugative in the US. When the cops run his license to check for warrants and holds (standard operating procedure) his ICE hold will pop up and he will be taken into custody. If he's lucky he can get an immigration bond and stay out of detention, otherwise he'd stay in the Florence federal holding facility pending his deportation hearing which he can hire an attorney for.

Last edited by phxbyrd; May 7, 2010 at 6:17 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:10 AM

^not arguing with you about that. just wanted to make it clear that a diver's license does not = US Citizen.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:11 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Phoenix: $90 million at risk because of immigration fallout

26 comments by Jahna Berry - May. 10, 2010 03:20 PM
The Arizona Republic

Phoenix may be on the verge of losing hotel and convention center business worth about $90 million over the next five years because of fallout from Arizona's new immigration law, a top city official said.

The City Council will be briefed on the issue on Tuesday.

The new immigration law requires that police ask for proof of citizenship if they suspect someone is in the country illegally. The law has attracted international attention, as well as calls for tourists and businesses to boycott Arizona.

Phoenix city and tourism officials have compiled a "watch list" of about 19 events, said David Krietor, a deputy city manager who is tracking the issue.

The list includes four organizations that have canceled events, in addition to more than a dozen other groups that have expressed concerns about the new law.

Those "watch list" events impact city run venues, such as the Phoenix Convention Center and the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel, as well as hotels and resorts around the city.

"We have an image and public relations problem of what might be unprecedented proportions," Krietor said.

The $90 million figure represents the estimated amount of money that those groups' members would spend in the region. Some events are scheduled to take place this year while others are booked as far out at 2015.

The canceled events include the oldest African American Greek-lettered fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., which was supposed hold a July meeting at the Sheraton. The fraternity's annual convention was expected to draw an estimated 5,000 attendees and as many as 10,000 visitors in July. Organizers will now hold that event in Las Vegas.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz0nZTBD300
Awesome, just fucking awesome. We're in the middle of the worst depression in our states history, and tourism one of our big economic drivers thats already sputtering now gets to deal with this horse shit. I hope the toothless retards who support this idiotic legislation will start to wake up.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
BANNED

I'm becoming a little frightened. I've been in the hospitality industry now for 6+ years and I've never been afraid for what may happen in my industry until now. Even the recession didn't scare me.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Awesome, just fucking awesome. We're in the middle of the worst depression in our states history, and tourism one of our big economic drivers thats already sputtering now gets to deal with this horse shit. I hope the toothless retards who support this idiotic legislation will start to wake up.
So because this state has no real economy besides relying on outsiders to pay our bills, its OK to break the law...?

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
So because this state has no real economy besides relying on outsiders to pay our bills, its OK to break the law...?
Current immigration laws stupid, immoral and UnAmerican and now its hurting our tourism industry. If you think sitting up on your amoral high horse about it is the way to go, more power to you. I for one believe that free countries don't build walls and fences, they welcome people in, and work to expedite that process as much as possible.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:13 AM
BANNED

Food for thought

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...than-arizonas/

Quote:
Mexico's illegals laws tougher than Arizona's
By Jerry Seper
The Washington Times

Mexican President Felipe Calderon denounced as "racial discrimination" an Arizona law giving state and local police the authority to arrest suspected illegal immigrants and vowed to use all means at his disposal to defend Mexican nationals against a law he called a "violation of human rights."

But the legislation, signed April 23 by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, is similar to Reglamento de la Ley General de Poblacion — the General Law on Population enacted in Mexico in April 2000, which mandates that federal, local and municipal police cooperate with federal immigration authorities in that country in the arrests of illegal immigrants.

Under the Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony, punishable by up to two years in prison. Immigrants who are deported and attempt to re-enter can be imprisoned for 10 years. Visa violators can be sentenced to six-year terms. Mexicans who help illegal immigrants are considered criminals.

The law also says Mexico can deport foreigners who are deemed detrimental to "economic or national interests," violate Mexican law, are not "physically or mentally healthy" or lack the "necessary funds for their sustenance" and for their dependents.

"This sounds like the kind of law that a rational nation would have to protect itself against illegal immigrants — that would stop and punish the very people who are violating the law," said Rep. Steve King of Iowa, ranking Republican on the House Judiciary subcommittee on immigration, citizenship, refugees, border security and international law.

"Why would Mr. Calderon have any objections to an Arizona law that is less draconian than his own, one he has pledged to enforce?" Mr. King said.

Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary subcommittee on terrorism and homeland security, described Mr. Calderon's comments as "hypocritical to say the least."

"I would have expected more from Mr. Calderon," said Mr. Kyl, who serves as the Senate minority whip. "We are spending millions of dollars to help Mexico fight the drug cartels that pose a threat to his government, and he doesn't seem to recognize our concerns. He ought to be apologizing to us instead of condemning us."

Mr. Kyl, along with fellow Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, has introduced a 10-point comprehensive border security plan to combat illegal immigration, drug and human smuggling, and violent crime along the southwestern border. It includes the deployment of National Guard troops, an increase in U.S. Border Patrol agents and 700 miles of fencing, along with other equipment and funding upgrades.

He said skyrocketing violence on the border, including the recent killing of an Arizona rancher by an illegal immigrant he had gone to assist, has not gone unnoticed by the public, adding that until the federal government provides the necessary funding and manpower to adequately secure the southwestern border, Arizona will not long remain the only state to pass legislation to do it on its own.
There's much more, 4 pages long...this is just page one.

Quote:
Half of the nearly 1 million illegal border crossings into the United States each year occur in Arizona, according to a report by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which also said Arizona taxpayers spend more than $2 billion a year on education and health care for illegal immigrants and their children.
$90 million vs. $2 billion...

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Current immigration laws stupid, immoral and UnAmerican and now its hurting our tourism industry. If you think sitting up on your amoral high horse about it is the way to go, more power to you. I for one believe that free countries don't build walls and fences, they welcome people in, and work to expedite that process as much as possible.
^^^ Agreed, just do it the legal way. We should welcome people in, and we do. I am all for immigration as we all arrived this way.

What's immoral is that these people, once here, have no chance to succeed, thrive and live the American way if they cannot obtain a job as a legal resident. How immoral is it to have hundreds die each year in the AZ desert alone? Or to have the human and drug smuggling trade thrive because of illegal immigration?

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:22 AM

Jesus fuck, you anti Immigration people are stupid. If you ease the process of immigration, guess what happens? Illegal immigration drops off. Then you have people who don't have to live in the shadows of society, can get jobs, pay taxes, etc. They stop becoming leaches on society.

But lets just keep being retarded xenophobes, not letting them in, and then think we can somehow keep them out. Please get in touch with this place called 'reality.' East Germany couldn't keep people in, we won't be able to keep people out, we might as well embrace this crazy idea called freedom.

As usual, Penn & Teller hit the nail right on the head in regards to immigration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ffO9mLlEo (part 1 of 3)
Quote:
^^^ Agreed, just do it the legal way.
Becoming a citizen in the US is not easy. In fact, its quite hard. I personally know a family who lived in the US for 20 years and tried to get citizenship but couldn't. Our immigration system is broken and stupid and we need to totally rework it, streamline it, and let in vastly more people.

EDIT: VVV You of all people are going to tell me to cool? Thats pretty rich.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Jesus fuck, you anti Immigration people are stupid. If you ease the process of immigration, guess what happens? Illegal immigration drops off. Then you have people who don't have to live in the shadows of society, can get jobs, pay taxes, etc. They stop becoming leaches on society.

But lets just keep being retarded xenophobes, not letting them in, and then think we can somehow keep them out. Please get in touch with this place called 'reality.' East Germany couldn't keep people in, we won't be able to keep people out, we might as well embrace this crazy idea called freedom.

As usual, Penn & Teller hit the nail right on the head in regards to immigration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ffO9mLlEo (part 1 of 3)
Will, fucking cool it.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Source: [url]
$90 million vs. $2 billion...
how much do we make on tax revenue from illegals? if it is 475,000 people like they say, I bet it surpasses that 2 billion number by a lot.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
how much do we make on tax revenue from illegals? if it is 475,000 people like they say, I bet it surpasses that 2 billion number by a lot.
I bet its not. 50% of "taxpayers" do not owe/pay federal taxes and/or they make a profit from the federal income tax. How many undocumented migrants make enough money above the table to bump them up to a tax bracket that means they owe? That would be a good study.

Locally, sales taxes do benefit for sure though. Federally not so much.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I bet its not. 50% of "taxpayers" do not owe/pay federal taxes and/or they make a profit from the federal income tax. How many undocumented migrants make enough money above the table to bump them up to a tax bracket that means they owe? That would be a good study.

Locally, sales taxes do benefit for sure though. Federally not so much.
There are many types of taxes you cannot avoid paying. Many on a daily basis.

Besides, your original statement was about arizona taxpayers, but now you are defendinf your statement by bringing up federal taxpayers. Which one would you like to argue?

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:40 AM

Gaylord,

You have the average illegal paying something north of $4,200 a year in taxes and that includes children and senior citizens. I think that's way too much. I'm no economist but you also have to consider that in the legal economy there are tons of taxpayers that use relatively few government resources whereas a much higher percentage of illegals fall into a demographic of a frequent user of services.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:15 AM
BANNED

"Retarded, toothless, stupid xenophobes".

Classy.... We're officially on AZCentral.

I'm not retarded. I'm not toothless. I'm not stupid. I'm certainly not a xenophobe. The same goes for the dozens of successful, well-adjusted, high-IQ people that I primarily surround myself with, and the 70% of Arizona residents that agree that we should have the right to enforce federal laws.

If the corrupt, libbie SEIU-type groups choose to go down the boycotting fear tactic road, let them. Boycotts are a two-way street. I'm not caving because the libbie press is in a frenzy over an issue they clearly don't understand. Problems have persisted for far too long. We'll experience some short-term pain while we work on the issue. So be it.

I take comfort in knowing that when Al Sharpton takes a stance on an issue, the polar opposite is generally right.... East Germany??? Have you been watching Katie Couric on CBS News? She's never had an agenda....

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX NATIVE 929 View Post
and the 70% of Arizona residents that agree that we should have the right to enforce federal laws.
Im glad you guys keep citing a poll thats no longer relevant, those numbers are sinking like a rock. Stop referencing the 70% number, you make yourself look foolish.

The rest of your post is too nonsensical to even respond to.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
There are many types of taxes you cannot avoid paying. Many on a daily basis.

Besides, your original statement was about arizona taxpayers, but now you are defendinf your statement by bringing up federal taxpayers. Which one would you like to argue?
I bring up the federal issue because it has become a national story that effects every citizen of the US.

AZ also has a state income tax.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:27 AM
BANNED

Hoover,

Once again, who is saying that we shouldn't ease the process of immigration? We probably should. That's not the debate.

It's like the AP calling it the "Immigration Bill" rather than the "Illegal Immigration Bill". But hey, whatever makes people sound like racists, right? Details....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest