HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:18 PM

Man, Bratina, giving GTTA control for a food terminal? Why does that make me think of magic beans?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:20 PM

I love the first line of that article:

"Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina has floated the idea of outsourcing management of Hamilton ."

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:40 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this is a stupid convo. Bratina haters can step down now.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:42 AM

under Fred's entire term, did he address one thing regarding the YYM? No. other than approving the surrounding land for sprawl development.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
this is a stupid convo. Bratina haters can step down now.
Personally I'm not going anywhere. Waiting patiently to see what happens with Vranich's next gambit, considering how closely tied he's been to Bratina.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:48 PM

From YYZnews.com

Quote:
WestJet Airlines (WS/WJA) -15 Feb, 2011
Orlando Increase ---launched additional non-stop service between Hamilton and Orlando on February 15th. The flight departed Hamilton at 1500hrs. WestJet will add one additional flight per week, on Tuesdays to its existing weekly flight on Saturdays. The new schedule is in effect from February 15 to April 26, 2011.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:44 PM

http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1376305

This might be old news, but just in case...

Quote:
WestJet is increasing its flights from Hamilton International airport for the summer.

Starting May 1st, travellers will be able to fly directly to Moncton, Halifax, Winnipeg, and Edmonton.

The new schedule restores some flights cut last June when the airline said it didn't have the passengers to justify continued flights from Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

I had to go to Pearson last month because WestJet doesn't fly to Moncton. Ugh I friggin hated it, too much of a hassle for just a short simple flight. Wish WestJet had service all year round.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:22 PM

Peason

I was forced (last minute)to use Peason last February. After being spoiled with HI, I vowed I would never use PIA again even if I had to make huge changes to my plans.
So with WestJet cutting flights East, we tried Porter and I plan on using them again, I still love WestJet and is my first choice to Halifax.
All you have to do is get a person to fly out of Hamilton once and they will make their own decision.
HI has to advertise hard and aim for free or real cheap long term parking. Park and Fly is still $$$$$$$$.
With the 403, Upper James and the RedHill it is just too easy to get there and pick someone up.
HI would be real wise to expand a Kiss and go area for drop offs. or pick ups.
I guess the real competition is Buffalo for US flights.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:47 PM

WestJet puts some meat on lean Hamilton schedule

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ilton-schedule

WestJet is increasing its flights from John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport for the summer.

Starting May 1, passengers from Hamilton will be able to fly directly to Moncton, Halifax, Winnipeg, and Edmonton. Service to Calgary will also be beefed up. .

“WestJet has been, and continues to be, a strong and committed partner of Hamilton International Airport. The non-stop direct services to these five locations will meet the needs of passengers in Hamilton and the surrounding region,” Karen Medweth, Director, Air Service Development & Marketing at the airport said in a news release.

WestJet’s new schedule, announced by the airline in January, temporarily restores some of the flights that were cut last June when the Calgary-based airline said it wasn’t getting the passengers it needed to justify continued flights from Hamilton.

“We’re back with the same schedule we had last year, except we’re ramping up Calgary earlier,” said WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer.

When WestJet gutted its Hamilton schedule last year, Palmer said Canadian travel during the winter is overwhelmingly north-south while east-west demand doesn’t become feasible until the summer.

“Our demand continues to be what it is from season to season,” he said. “We’re back with what we had last year because that’s what the demand will support.”

Richard Koroscil, president and CEO of Hamilton International, said in a news release the airport is happy WestJet is coming back, even if it’s only temporary.

“The partnership between Hamilton International Airport and WestJet has always been strong. Even through the ups and downs of the past year, we have been able to keep communication lines open and work with the airline to further develop Hamilton as a strategic airport in the WestJet network,” he said.

WestJet also operated weekly service from Hamilton to each of Orlando, Cancun and Punta Cana.

sarnold@thespec.com

905-526-3496

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 12:32 AM

You need to complain right to Westjet on their web site or Facebook page. They will only listen if they get a lot of complaints!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:53 PM

Our airport will struggle to be a regional/international airport for as long as our city is now struggling to be a regional city and now swamped into the GTA.

note: the designation of "International" airport only has to do with the runway length and customs capacity. International means nothing about the amount of passengers or cargo. YHM is only designated an "international airport" because CarGo (or another company in the 90s) paid to expand the runway to accept 747s, nothing more. Except Tim Hortons put a kiosk in the lobby YHM is embarrassing for a city the size of Hamilton. But it will always compete against Toronto, Buffalo and London. Those are regional cities.

YHM could never get an international flight again but still be designated so because it has customs and a runway that can accept jumbos. If the international traffic dries up and Customs Canada no longer staffs it with agents, YHM will go back to regional or domestic status.

Last edited by realcity; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 9:10 PM

Hagersville could have an "international" airport if they wanted to expand the runway. Hamilton 'International' means nothing.

Last edited by realcity; Mar 10, 2011 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:51 PM

I'm posting this from the tiny little island airport in Toronto right now, which I think is nicer for passengers than Hamilton's.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:05 AM

Oh gosh not the Hamilton International Airport is only Internationa for runways reasons crap again.

Last I herd the airport had international flights.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 7:06 AM
Concerned Citizen

Unfortunately, when they hired the firm to design the terminal, it seems they only had experience designing bus terminals. So thats what we got, a glorified bus terminal.

Until we get a terminal with skyways and all of the ammenities that airports have nowadays we will not be able to attract anything more than cut rate airlines looking to cut corners. Thats why Westjet moved the bulk of their operations to Pearson once they grew up.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 11:42 AM

Design my butt.

So what if it is a glorified bus terminal. Duh that is what it is. Maybe a hundred people or two sit with their iods or read a book. So you want to spend money to glorify the joint. We want lower prices and something comfortable.
So what do we need a small bar with big screen TVs. Comfy chairs that will last to keep down costs.
FREE WIFI as that is another way people kill time. Porter has free stuff as it is their lounge. Maybe WestJet culd do the same.
A washroom that people stranded can freshen up.
I think just re-arrange the furniture and maybe a better cafe.
The food court is nice but a little steep.
last time I was there, I did find that the front door was packed with people parked there waiting. Need to put the run on them.
One thing I did see at PIA is a free parking area about a km away. Drivers could wait there (in your vehicle) and nap. Everyone has a cellphone, so drivers sit there and relax and when they get texted the drive down the ramp and to the front door.
The terminal in Hamilton is pretty basic and spartan but realize it is used a couple hours aday. Busy around noon with two flights from out West and then a gap till supper.
People want a quick in and out. Cheap parking for business and holiday travellers.
Start selling HI to the travel agents.
Airlines need to make money or like many before them die. (WARD air, Greyhound etc etc) I wish WestJet would have stayed but their decision to move seems to have been a good finacial decision.
HI has to do something as when PIA is connected directly to the downtown it will be more popular.
With the price of Oil and alberta Tarsands, there are many commuter workers from here and especially down east. I wonder how many regulars are oil riggers. maybe get some napping chairs for them.
Skyways would be nice but are we that delicate. To walk the tarmac is a lot cheaper and less upkep and maintenance. Even PIA has tarmac loading for the commuter planes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 11:59 AM

Smoker's area

I don't smoke and never have. I did notice that with security it is very difficult for someone to have a butt before a couple hour flight. Maybe set up a enclosed secure patio. Maybe a roof top for security reasons.
This would be nice when a flight gets delayed for hours.

imagine an outdoor patio, like PIA could top that.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 11:24 PM

From Air Italy Polska web site:

Quote:
The aircraft bearing the Air Italy Group colours will set off for its first flight to Chicago on 25 May 2011. The flights to the United States will take place twice a week – on Mondays and Wednesdays. The first flight to Canadian Hamilton will take place on 27 May 2011. Passengers will be able to fly to Hamilton once a week – on Fridays. Both routes will be serviced by a broad-hulled Boeing 767-200 which may take 241 passengers in the economy class and 12 in the business class. There will be Polish crew on board which will serve traditional Polish dishes to passengers. The same aircraft will service flights to Hamilton from Prague and Budapest.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:39 PM

Air show lineup announced

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...neup-announced

Good news for aviation aficionados – the Hamilton Air Show is back and boasting a strong lineup.

Returning after a 10-year-hiatus, the two-day show will feature more than a dozen aircraft from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, including the famed Lancaster – one of just two of the big Second World War bombers that can still fly. Close to 20 planes will also be brought in from as far away as Texas and Virginia Beach.

The planes will take to the skies June 18 and 19, in unique formations “you won’t see anywhere else in the world,” said museum CEO Dave Rohrer. Featuring strictly vintage military aircraft, it’s also an opportunity for the museum to get back to its roots.

The event, held at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport, will also feature flight simulators, restoration projects, aviation displays and more than a dozen static planes. Museum members will even have an opportunity to go for morning rides before the show gets under way at 2 p.m. each afternoon.

Public reaction to the air show’s return has already been “overwhelming,” Rohrer said, and museum staff expect close to 10,000 people will attend the Father’s Day weekend event.

Rohrer said the museum is doing what it can to minimize costs, given the financial troubles the once-annual show encountered in the past. It has been defunct since 2001, when it lost $100,000 and could no longer afford skyrocketing insurance premiums in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

The museum anticipates the event will cost between $300,000 and $350,000. Although Pioneer and the Bank of Montreal have stepped up as sponsors, Rohrer said the museum is still looking for help from both corporate backers and volunteers.

“The event has to pay for itself,” he added. “We hope to make a small profit.”

While this year’s show boasts a stellar lineup, Rohrer said it’s really meant to act as a “dry run” for a much larger event to be held in celebration of the museum’s 40th anniversary. Planned for Father’s Day weekend 2012, the anniversary air show will be a chance to recognize the museum’s founders, the contributions of allied veterans and the country’s rich history of military aviation, Rohrer said.

What you’ll see:

• Consolidated B-24 Liberator

• Fairey Swordfish

• Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

• Beech D18S Expeditor

• Fokker DR.I

• Curtiss-Wright SB2C Helldiver

• Hawker Hurricane

• Supermarine Spitfire

How to go:

Tickets can be purchased online and at the museum ahead of time or at the gates on the day of the show.

Admission is $25 for adults, $20 for students and seniors, $15 for kids and free for museum members and anyone under 6.

Free parking is offered about 3 kilometres from the airfield and shuttles will be provided.

Displays are open at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. all Father’s Day weekend, with the two-hour air show kicking off around 2 p.m. both days.

For more information:

• Call the museum: 905-679-4183

• Get air show updates on Facebook and Twitter

• Visit the air show website: http://airshow.warplane.com/hamilton-airshow-2011.aspx

tpecoskie@thespec.com

905-526-3368

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure