HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:04 AM

Actually, the "Tree Island" crossing is much further west near the 91/91A split and was intended to add capacity to the Queensborough Bridge corridor, but would have safety and operational issues due to its very close proximity to the 91/91A split.

Too far west to have any impact upon regional traffic and the Pattullo Bridge corridor, IMHO.

Source: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...t/newwest2.jpg

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The only downside that is absolutely unavoidable for now is the insane traffic on Columbia from just east of downtown all the way to Brunette. It sucks, it's a hot mess and I wish they could somehow double the roads width or just divert truck traffic.
Columbia used to be four lanes, actually. They decided to put all that stupid angle parking in instead of the curb parking that was previously there as a traffic calming measure, as well as that sharp corner on the east side.. then you have to consider all the other traffic measures that they have put in to frustrate drivers (30km/hr speed limits, refusing the NFPR, etc etc..) and add the fact that there are no real destinations or reasons for someone to go to New West aside from the fact that they live there or need to drive through it.. and what are you left with?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:36 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I think he's referring to Brunette where it's the 3 lanes.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 11:31 AM

Why does there need to be a connection with TCH? All the times I've crossed the bridge, the traffic seemed to majorly go east or west immediately, not north-south.

And would this create previously unanticipated use of the TCH to the point that the 8 lane expansion is filled to capacity right away?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 3:11 PM

Not entirely if TransLink applies tolls on the bridge, which I think it will do in the end despite all the controversy....

The cut and cover tunneled connection with the Gaglardi is being proposed because New Westminster doesn't want to host all of the traffic that currently leaves the bridge and causes traffic jams on their streets. They'd much rather have it redirected into one or two primary corridors and hidden from view.... Of course, that does leave open the question of what to do with the NFPR and its future connection to the Pattullo Bridge as it runs right through the city centre...

And as for where most of the traffic to and from the bridge comes from... I don't think there's ever been a study on that...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Columbia used to be four lanes, actually. They decided to put all that stupid angle parking in instead of the curb parking that was previously there as a traffic calming measure, as well as that sharp corner on the east side.. then you have to consider all the other traffic measures that they have put in to frustrate drivers (30km/hr speed limits, refusing the NFPR, etc etc..) and add the fact that there are no real destinations or reasons for someone to go to New West aside from the fact that they live there or need to drive through it.. and what are you left with?
Um, take Royal Ave. as I said a dozen posts ago? I go through New West quite often and always take Royal Ave. The rare occasion I will take Columbia to pick up a coffee at Starbucks.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Actually, the "Tree Island" crossing is much further west near the 91/91A split and was intended to add capacity to the Queensborough Bridge corridor, but would have safety and operational issues due to its very close proximity to the 91/91A split.

Too far west to have any impact upon regional traffic and the Pattullo Bridge corridor, IMHO.

I think there are two "Tree Island" concepts - maybe the newer one is more of a "Sandbar Island" concept. The more recent one to the east was also floated with a Fraser Port container storage facility on the sandbar islands.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post

Well, if nothing else it would serve a large catchment area going to YVR.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think there are two "Tree Island" concepts - maybe the newer one is more of a "Sandbar Island" concept. The more recent one to the east was also floated with a Fraser Port container storage facility on the sandbar islands.
The one to the east could work, but in all honesty it would be best if they built then entire structure (including the interchange) elevated. Otherwise the flooding risk seems far too high, along with other environmental concerns.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:54 PM
ON3P Skis

I've usually hear "Tree Island" referred to as "Poplar Island". Further east the sandbar area has always been called "Sapperton Bar" as far as I know. Apparently some people call the little tufts with trees "North Sapperton Island", "South Sapperton Island", and "Lone Tree Island".

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Um, take Royal Ave. as I said a dozen posts ago? I go through New West quite often and always take Royal Ave. The rare occasion I will take Columbia to pick up a coffee at Starbucks.
I've tried to take Royal a few times when headed to the ferries.. it's not usually much better.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 8:45 PM

For the record, I don't hate New West just like I don't hate any other city in Metro Vancouver. What I do hate is how New West seems to stick the middle finger up to the rest of the region on a consistent basis. Why should _I_ care about New West if it starts the situation by not caring about anyone else.

It's the same reason why a lot of people outside Burnaby dislike Derek Corrigan. They high-five and puff up their chest when the region supports initiatives in their city but when the region tries to help other cities out other than Burnaby, he sticks the middle finger up and votes NO on everything. New West does exactly the same thing. "If we get the main benefit then BY ALL MEANS everyone else can pay for it, but if it helps other cities NO WAY NOT ON MY WATCH!"

It's selfish.

But again I don't dislike New Westminster. I just think it is less relevant to the region than it thinks and if the region builds around them they'll be in for a little shock and so will its citizens when tax rates increase.

Same happens with Burnaby and Richmond. They get other mayors in the region supporting initiatives for Canada Line, Sky Train, you name it. Mayors from south of fraser in the past votes yes to help them. Then gas tax comes along to help South of Fraser and Coquitlam? Guess who votes no. Richmond, Burnaby, New West? Of course. "We got our stuff SCREW THE REST OF YOU!"

I give props to Gregor in Vancouver even though I don't agree with many of his initiatives, for having the balls to think regionally and not just Vancouver centric.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:08 PM

Cost per km on tunneling depends also on what rock and geology they need to go through. Bore tunnels can actually be fairly inexpensive depending on what they actually have to bore through. Not every tunnel costs billions of dollars.

I personally think going down McBride makes sense then at the park just before you hit 6th do a split. So the main McBride would dive into a tunnel with right exit and left entrance which would connect to "above ground McBride" for local traffic. The Tunnel would then bore to the right and pop out just past 16th Avenue between Cumberland and Cariboo. That would reduce the required tunnel length to about 2km at maximum.

Even at a high water mark that would place it in the $500 million range which is not too unreasonable. Then from the Patullo you simply get rid of the off ramps to Royal Avenue / Columbia. That means if people want to go to New West then they have to use either 6th, 8th, or 10th.

To be honest though I still don't understand New West's beef. People traveling "through New West" already bypass it down McBride. If people want to go to New West it doesn't matter where the tunnel is they would still need to drive on the "roads made for horses and buggies" to get there regardless of where they entered from.

Maybe it is time for New West simply to upgrade it's trails and make them into roads.

As for cost though, again I don't think the tunnel would be _that_ expensive. Remember, Canada Line cost $2 billion. That's for a fairly long bore tunnel, an equally long cut and cover, elevated track through Richmond, multiple stations, a new bridge, and brand new SkyTrain cars. Not to mention the servicing area in Richmond and a base of operations. For this we're simply talking about a road tunnel. The majority of the cost of the project would be in the bridge itself.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:54 PM

I don't think you need a tunnel. That's just getting a little crazy. It's just spending my money so that people in New West would have the privilege of not looking at cars.

McBride has plenty of space around it. You could easily add an extra lane each way and still have space to put in sound buffering structures and trees. And you need the surface connections because a lot of traffic off the bridge isn't bound for Coquitlam or the TCH, but other parts of Burnaby and New West itself.

The main problem with the surface street is the intersection at 8th (mainly because there is no right turn lane). And that is only bad because people are using 8th to bypass 10th or Columbia to get to East Burnaby and Coquitlam.

If Columbia/Brunette were improved and Newcombe was built to connect McBride and Gaglardi, then people wouldn't be using 10th and 8th to cut across to NE Burnaby and Coquitlam. If the NFPR and McBride could handle traffic, then people wouldn't be driving through New West, meaning that the lights wouldn't have to change so much, meaning better traffic flow.

As it is right now, the biggest problem in New West in the PM rush isn't anything to do with McBride, it's the bridge. McBride squeezes down to 1 lane to go onto the bridge, which causes the backups. So I don't think you even need an extra lane on McBride, just proper flow onto a new bridge.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:24 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

OK lets clear this up for everyone

Tree Island (part of Richmond) >> http://g.co/maps/q2m62 (not really an island any more as it's been filled in and connected to the shore)

Poplar Island (part of New Westminister) >> http://g.co/maps/dczfm

Sapperton Bar aka The Sandbar Islands (part of New Westminister) >> http://g.co/maps/y4zgb

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:29 PM

There's another tree island under the Port Mann.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=tree+is...sland&t=m&z=15

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
As for cost though, again I don't think the tunnel would be _that_ expensive. Remember, Canada Line cost $2 billion. That's for a fairly long bore tunnel, an equally long cut and cover, elevated track through Richmond, multiple stations, a new bridge, and brand new SkyTrain cars. Not to mention the servicing area in Richmond and a base of operations. For this we're simply talking about a road tunnel.
A road tunnel that will need at least 2-3x the bore diameter... The Canada Line tubes are not even wide enough for 1 lane of traffic.

I'll hazard a guess that a TBM at twice the diameter is far more than twice the cost, and digs slower.

I'll also assume that, due to logistics, nobody would ever dig such a tunnel without building in contingency space for an extra future lane... so that's minimum 3+3 configuration. That's a big bore diameter.

Think Cassiar Tunnel, but bored.

I bet the cost is at least 4-5x the cost of Canada Line bored tunnels per km.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
A road tunnel that will need at least 2-3x the bore diameter... The Canada Line tubes are not even wide enough for 1 lane of traffic.

I'll hazard a guess that a TBM at twice the diameter is far more than twice the cost, and digs slower.

I'll also assume that, due to logistics, nobody would ever dig such a tunnel without building in contingency space for an extra future lane... so that's minimum 3+3 configuration. That's a big bore diameter.

Think Cassiar Tunnel, but bored.

I bet the cost is at least 4-5x the cost of Canada Line bored tunnels per km.
The Alaskan Way Tunnel will be double decker to fill out the circular bore, have a toll and be crazily expensive to build.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABP...2014209656.pdf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/s...624786/detail/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
What if you needed a wedding dress?

I really like Columbia and traffic calming was needed for the Greenway going through it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 2:00 AM

I seriously doubt we'll go farther than a cut and cover tunnel for the underground Mcbride-Gaglardi connector for all of these cost reasons...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure