HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

International Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 6:11 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think they won't still speak out against it.
If they do, it wont matter anyway. There's nothing that can stop the construction of this building. It's already fully approved.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I don't think they can its a done deal.
And how will that stop them from speaking ill about it?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:12 PM

Quote:
And how will that stop them from speaking ill about it?
Oh they'll definitely speak ill of it. They're just powerless on this one. Everyone is. Sobeys has all the power here. I wonder when this one will get underway. Positioning might matter significantly for success. I know there is a shortage of office space in the downtown, but if everything gets approved can the city really absorb International Place, a new Roy and Waterfront Centre in the next few years? That doesn't even include Electropolis and the space NSP will leave behind in Scotia Square. Anyone with more involvement in the office market have any idea? I would hate to see a repeat of the over-building that went on before.

Last edited by spaustin; Sep 12, 2008 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Definitely it would take at least a few years to absorb all of this new office space but this proposal has a huge advantage over the others since it could theoretically be the first to move forward. This is good because it is also the nicest office project.

The Armour Group building isn't actually that large. Not sure about the Roy Building or how much space NSP is currently using.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Oh they'll definitely speak ill of it. They're just powerless on this one. Everyone is. Sobeys has all the power here.
Exactly, which brings me back to my original musings... I can't wait to hear what boneheaded reasoning the trust will come up with to protect this parking lot...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Exactly, which brings me back to my original musings... I can't wait to hear what boneheaded reasoning the trust will come up with to protect this parking lot...
They will find ways to stall this development...

Again i am very much for this project, however unless they can prelease 200-300,000 of the building the owners will not likely proceed with it as they are a REIT and cash flow is of the most importance.

Waterside centre is 80,000 square feet, Roy Building is 250,000, Herald lands are rumoured to be 300,000 plus of office. Needless to say if International proceeds the rest will not with the exception of maybe the Waterside centre due to its size.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 5:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There isn't immediate demand for one million square feet of office space but it's not as if these projects just get shelved if they can't immediately be filled. Downtown vacancies are quite low right now and there's been a growing need for office space in the city during the past couple of years. All the new construction has been suburban but if there had been downtown office space then some of those tenants may have chosen to locate in the city.

If International Place is leased and moves forward then I could see the rest being delayed somewhat, but they will be delayed anyway by the approval process (and construction) and it is possible that in a few years the office space would be absorbed.

I'd like to see a rendering for the Herald lands. I hope the developer doesn't come up with something too elaborate that just gets stalled. Similarly, I'm a bit worried about the Roy Building since it could be demolished without the redevelopment ever happening.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 5:15 AM

Great new renders! I love how this looks at the end of Granville Mall!!!!! I get the feeling that the Waterside will not be approved. And the Roy building won't necessarily be office space. It will be whatever is in demand....so says the developers. I just want to see a crane fly.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 2:58 AM

Come on Come on!!

Does anyone have a clue when this will start?

Looks really nice

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:06 AM
we built this city

Citypoint kind of looks like International Place might, except its much taller.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:34 AM

Has anybody else noticed the major shift towards LEED in halifax? Theres this one, Park Place V and Harbour Isle i can think of off the top of my head.

Cityplace looks good. I'm not too keen on the fancy design on the roof though. Whatever that is...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Has anybody else noticed the major shift towards LEED in halifax? Theres this one, Park Place V and Harbour Isle i can think of off the top of my head.

Cityplace looks good. I'm not too keen on the fancy design on the roof though. Whatever that is...
Totally, Park Place V is the first and Largest office building in the region to go LEED. Also i believe Waterside Centre was to be the greenest in Atlantic Canada and possibly one of the greenest in the country. Emera with its power station redevelopment was extremely green as well.

Great to see substainable developments happening in this region. Up till now only the schools were LEED.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
You talkin' to me?

The NSCC waterfront campus is LEED Silver certified as well.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 11:05 PM

I did a little look up and it turns out that the Seaport Farmer's Market, LSRC, new academic building at Dal, and the Atrium are registered as well.

Along with the ones mentioned above thats a whole lot of LEED projects going up around Halifax. Sweet!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 9:28 PM

I noticed while driving around today that there was a drill rig parked on the north corner of this site today and a large container truck in the lower lot both from the same geotechnical company. Drilling boreholes is one of the first steps of construction, so that maybe a good sign. I'll have to drive by next week to see if they are working on site or just using this as a storage lot, although the drill rig was parked in an odd spot if it was just parking overnight.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 10:00 PM

That is very exciting news! I can't think of anything nearby that would require a rig like that. They might still only be drilling a test hole first though.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It seems like a long shot but on the other hand I expect that if and when this project does start it will be fairly random, at least to me, since I have no particular insider knowledge and it is already approved. I have no idea how close they were to finding tenants.

If they do start construction I will feel a lot better about the prospects of the downtown. Simply having a big crane up and a major new office building eventually would be a big "psychological" boost for the city, to say nothing of the fact that this is also a great looking project.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 11:35 PM

Well a site investigation is a step in the right direction, if it is the case this is probably the closest this building has been to going ahead since it was approved 30 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 12:46 AM
we built this city

Yeah, I think of any the major projects to go up after the Trillium, this one is definitely going to add the most. It will essentially help shape a proper CBD and if Trinity ever gets built, the area will look pretty good even with the interchange still in place.

The Alexander would improve a downtown area almost by itself and i think the Salter Street development will be back on in the not so distant future.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 4:38 AM

This would probably be the best project to help the CBD really define itself. I hope this is the start for it.

I tried to get onto IP's website earlier but its down. That might not be a good sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth