HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I went out to Galway yesterday just to satisfy my curiosity re: Costco, as I suspected, NOTHING...NADA...the building in question was a small warehouse in the Glencrest Industrial Park area along the TCH. I might have known, based on the source of the original comment.
I believe this is the new building for Tri-Star Mechanical

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Developer Danny Williams says things are coming together at Galway.

The development will see its first residents next month, and Costco is expected to be up and running by the end of the year.

Williams says the weather is working in their favour. Equipment is on site working, with construction on the new Costco to get started in the spring. He anticipates that construction will be completed by the fall.
Interesting.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Interesting.
Construction done by the fall? With not even a foundation started that's hard to believe. It'd have to be done at a quicker pace than any construction I've seen since moving back here almost 20 years ago. We'll see...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Construction done by the fall? With not even a foundation started that's hard to believe. It'd have to be done at a quicker pace than any construction I've seen since moving back here almost 20 years ago. We'll see...
The thing with Costco is that it's essentially building a warehouse; it can be done fairly quickly. If construction started in late March they could easily be open by December.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
If this were an office building I'd be in complete agreement with you. However, Costco is just a big warehouse, I think they can shell it up within that time frame. And with all the delays (out of Costco's hands) I think they will be very motivated to get the new building up asap.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:29 PM

Well in comparison to the Quinlan crab plant in Bay-De-Verde going from foundation to crab production in 7 months with a lot more equipment & weather being less then desirable I see no reason this won't be finished by years end. Send those same contractors (Marco, Youngs Industrial, P. Kelly Electrical, Canduit) in to do it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:56 PM

Galway email:

February 2018 Newsletter

COSTCO to move to Galway this fall!

We are pleased to announce that ground has broken on the new COSTCO site in our premiere retail area The Shoppes at Galway. The Shoppes is the ultimate location for retailers and restaurants that want to do business in one of the most vibrant cities in Canada. The Shoppes at Galway is located at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Pitts Memorial Drive, the only major entrance to St. John’s. With multiple access points, this shopping centre has been modernly designed to eliminate road congestion and maintain exceptional traffic flow. The Shoppes will be offering an exciting collection of national and international retailers, The Shoppes will be the cornerstone of the master planned community of Galway.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelH View Post
Galway email:

February 2018 Newsletter

COSTCO to move to Galway this fall!

We are pleased to announce that ground has broken on the new COSTCO site in our premiere retail area The Shoppes at Galway. The Shoppes is the ultimate location for retailers and restaurants that want to do business in one of the most vibrant cities in Canada. The Shoppes at Galway is located at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Pitts Memorial Drive, the only major entrance to St. John’s. With multiple access points, this shopping centre has been modernly designed to eliminate road congestion and maintain exceptional traffic flow. The Shoppes will be offering an exciting collection of national and international retailers, The Shoppes will be the cornerstone of the master planned community of Galway.
Well there it is. Will people finally believe(accept) it?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Well there it is. Will people finally believe(accept) it?
So long Costco membership.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
So long Costco membership.
Hello Costco membership!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:07 PM

I expect they will gain a lot more than they will lose, also Mount Pearl will also gain business though gas stations in the area will have to play the Costco game.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:46 PM

I'll be happy to have my doubts about the construction schedule proven wrong.

Does anyone know for sure where the new Costco will be located? I'm guessing it'd be building C5 as shown on the Shoppes at Galway map.

Curious to see what other retailers will be moving in. Hopefully the Cineplex that was planned for Hebron Way area will get going.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswally View Post
I expect they will gain a lot more than they will lose, also Mount Pearl will also gain business though gas stations in the area will have to play the Costco game.
Hello cheaper Gas

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:37 AM

Costco

Gas bar attendant saying that they are hoping for October opening...
I hope they connect Southlands Boulevard to the Galway side soon...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:12 PM

Kind of a pointless article tbh but a snippet about Costco in there:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...gian-1.4553415
Quote:
That may not be the case for everyone. For those looking forward to shopping at the new store, construction crews are busy preparing a large site for what is expected to be one of the biggest Costcos in Atlantic Canada
Also a shot of the crews apparently working on it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:00 PM

I heard that Kent Mount Pearl is jumping ship....or to put it a better way.....jumping highway. Instead of doing a multi-million dollar reno as they did on Stavanger, they will just build a new store in Galway. I also heard that the company who has purchased their Mount Pearl building plans to subdivide the space.

I first heard about this story 18 months ago but with the Costco delays, the idea was shelved I assumed. Rumours were going around that several Mount Pearl big boxes would rebuild in Galway instead of doing planned renos and expansions.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I heard that Kent Mount Pearl is jumping ship....or to put it a better way.....jumping highway. Instead of doing a multi-million dollar reno as they did on Stavanger, they will just build a new store in Galway. I also heard that the company who has purchased their Mount Pearl building plans to subdivide the space.

I first heard about this story 18 months ago but with the Costco delays, the idea was shelved I assumed. Rumours were going around that several Mount Pearl big boxes would rebuild in Galway instead of doing planned renos and expansions.
I wouldn't be surprised to see other retailers jump ship from Merchant Drive to Galway. Surprised WalMart is renovating their existing store in the area rather than build new across the highway. Guessing Cineplex will open a new cinema there as well. I'm still pretty salty they cancelled their Hebron Way plans lol.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
WalMart is renovating their existing store in the area rather than build new across the highway.
Wal-mart moving across the highway would please Shoppers' Drug Mart heh

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:43 PM

So basically Danny is spending nearly a 100 million dollars on a new development that is luring businesses a few hundred meters across a road from Mount Pearl into St. John's and he still having a hard time with the city of St. John's? lulz..

I feel like if this was 15-20 years ago with amalgamation being a more prominent topic St. John's would have been like "WHAT DO YOU NEED?! WE'LL MAKE IT HAPPEN!"

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:35 PM

Say what you will about Galway but there seems to be some nice looking homes going in there, including townhomes:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's