HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 5:15 AM
Me?!?

I dunno, I must admit that it sounds like a lot of propaganda to me. And taxing the same people that will support you even more, possibly scaring them off? Sounds like the typical "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" PA response LOL

Reed said transforming the study's words into action rests with the proposal for a 1 percent increase in the hotel room tax.

Thursday, May 25, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

To attract more visitors, Harrisburg needs to develop its own brand as a national tourism destination, distinguishing it from higher-profile neighbors such as Hershey, Gettysburg and Lancaster.

It must develop a well-marked heritage trail connecting its rich history, complete with an audio guide. And it should proceed with plans for a museum of black history and a National Sports Hall of Fame to bolster its roster of attractions.

To help pay for it all, the county tax on hotel rooms should be increased by 1 percent, generating about $340,000 annually for the city.

Those were some of the major conclusions of an 18-month, $292,540 city tourism study conducted by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The study was released yesterday.

"I see no reason that Harrisburg can't be a very important destination in five to seven years, maybe sooner than that," said study consultant Carolyn Brackett, of the National Trust's Heritage Tourism Program.

"Harrisburg has a great tourism product already," she added. "It's already very well-regarded, and people have a good time when they're here."

Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who commissioned the study, hailed it as a guide for putting Harrisburg on the national tourism map.

"This report outlines the best practices that have been proven to produce the dollars, the visitors and the jobs in the tourism industry," Reed said.

But one-time mayoral candidate Jason Smith, who has criticized Reed's museum plans and pushed for more community involvement in projects, criticized the plan as surprisingly light on big ideas.

"I'm hearing a lot of support for museums here," Smith said. "We shouldn't be paying a consultant $300,000 to tell us to keep doing what we're doing."

Instead, Smith said the study should offer a detailed prescription for making Harrisburg's biggest museum, The National Civil War Museum, a success.

Since opening in early 2001, the $33 million museum atop Reservoir Park has suffered from funding problems, attendance dips and a remote location that's proved difficult to find for many visitors.

"What I would like to see is a strong effort to make what we already have work before expanding," Smith said.

But Reed said he sees support for his vision of a "critical mass" of museums in the tourism study, and he vowed that both the National Sports Hall of Fame and the African American Heritage Center would move forward.

Reed said plans and construction budgets are all but completed for the sports hall of fame, proposed for City Island. He said he would seek City Council's approval for bonds to finance the project in the next several months.

Reed has promised the project would be self-sustaining because of the planned addition of 60,000 square feet of office space to the 120,000-square-foot museum, bar and restaurant project.

The African American Heritage Center has been slated for a two-building site at Third and Verbeke streets, across from the Broad Street Market. But the project will not move into the final design phase until more money is raised, Reed said.

The tourism study did not endorse Reed's long-held dream for a Wild West museum in Harrisburg, but it didn't condemn it, either.

Instead, the study suggested that support for the project could be tested by placing the city's vast collection of Western artifacts, which Reed amassed using more than $4.5 million in city money, on a traveling display.

But it all starts with money.

Reed said transforming the study's words into action rests with the proposal for a 1 percent increase in the hotel room tax.

Such tax increases must be approved by the Legislature, and Reed said they are usually adopted countywide.

Dauphin County has a 3 percent room tax, with Harrisburg receiving about $660,000 annually and the largest share going to pay off debt from Hershey's Giant Center.

If the hotel tax were raised countywide, Reed estimated, the city's cut would be about $340,000 more a year. At the least, Reed said, he wants an increase for city hotels.

"It's one of the least painful taxes," Reed said. "We're asking our out-of-town visitors to pay for the cost of tourism marketing and attractions."

The plan was "very well-received" at a briefing yesterday for about 30 area hoteliers, restauranteurs, and representatives from local attractions, according to Edward Nielsen, director of the Mayor's Office of Economic Development and Special Projects.

Brackett said there were "not really any complaints" from business owners about raising the hotel tax.

Correspondent Phyllis Zimmerman contributed to this report.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 2:29 PM
Me?!?

Correction
Friday, May 26, 2006

Aero Services International Inc. will pay Harrisburg International Airport $158,000 a year to lease eight acres of land at HIA. Aero had been leasing six acres of land and will add two acres to that lease. A story in yesterday's Business section was unclear about the lease deal.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 3:22 PM
Me?!?

Wow, what bad news! And you know the crime is getting out of control when you have to reconsider being open overnight!

NIGHT-SHIFT HORROR

Clerk's death in $100 robbery shocks community

Friday, May 26, 2006
BY TOM BOWMAN
Of The Patriot-News

Hitender Thakur normally worked the afternoon shift at City Gas and Diesel but switched shifts with a friend so Thakur could attend classes at Harrisburg Area Community College until 9 p.m. Wednesday.

An hour after class ended, Thakur, who was studying to become a nurse and wanted to work with the World Health Organization, started his shift at the all-night convenience store at 16th and State streets. Three hours later, Thakur, 22, of Mandi, India, was dead.

"We saw him at 10 o'clock, and he relieved us and said, 'See you tomorrow,'" said Narender Atwal, a friend, also from India, who worked with Thakur at the store. "And then in the morning we got a call, and there he is. He is no more."

Harrisburg police, who viewed a videotape of the holdup from security cameras, said the robber pointed a handgun at Thakur through an open window in the glass that surrounds the counter as protection for the clerk.

Thakur bent over and tried to shut the window. The gunman fired, striking Thakur in the chest. Then the robber jumped over the counter through the open window, emptied the cash register and ran from the store.

Because Thakur was alone, there was nobody to call the police or an ambulance.

Minutes later, a customer found Thakur's body behind the counter and called for help.

Police said they have few leads. The gunman is described as a black man with a thin build, shorter than 6 feet, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.

County Coroner Graham Hetrick said Thakur was killed by a single bullet from a small-caliber handgun. The bullet tore through Thakur's chest at a downward angle because he was bending over to shut the window. It struck his heart and nicked his aorta, Hetrick said.

The coroner said Thakur probably "bled out" rapidly from the wound.

The robber netted a little more than $100.

"It's another tragic waste of life," Hetrick said. "It was just one bullet, but unfortunately, it was a terribly lethal shot. My belief is it comes down to money for drugs."

"He should've taken the money" and not shot Thakur, said store owner Nirmal Singh Gill.

After police took photos and looked for evidence inside the store, Gill and his family locked the front door.

Almost everyone who stopped at the store in the morning wanted to know which clerk had been killed. Customers from the neighborhood and one from as far as Union Deposit gathered outside, talking about the clerks as if they were family.

"I know them pretty good," said George Johnson of 17th and York streets. "I thought I'd come over and say something."

Three ladies who work next door in the Lincoln School cafeteria stopped by the store to try to comfort Gill's family and say how sorry they were to hear the news.

Atwal said Thakur was pleasant to all the customers.

"It's unbelievable because [Thakur] was so friendly with all of them," Atwal said. "It's basically the neighborhood. He was so friendly with all the old people. He would sing songs. We had a little tape recorder over there. We would tape record songs, and he would sing songs in our language. The other people wouldn't understand it, but they didn't care because he was always so lively and so happy. And always laughing and cracking jokes with everybody."

"He was just a baby, a sweetheart, a really nice kid," said Lucille Anders who lives on State Street across from the store. "He used to flirt with the girls. All the girls loved him. He sure didn't deserve to go out like this."

Anders said she moved here from New York City three years ago.

This was the fourth shooting in the area since she moved here, the first fatality, Anders said.

City police spokesman Randy King said he didn't know for sure how many shootings there were, but it could be four.

Atwal, a Penn State Harrisburg student, said such violence is unknown in India.

"I can't even think of any robbery where a friend of mine or a person I knew died," Atwal said. "If there's a shooting, it's probably between a gang or something. The mafia or whatever. There are never armed robberies where people get killed at stores. ...

"We don't have that fear until something like this happens," Atwal said. "I used to hear stories from other people. Like some Indian guy died in a gas station [holdup] in Atlanta or whatever. We'd be like, 'Oh man, that's bad, that's bad,' but we didn't know it would happen to people like us, right now."

Fear of crime has some stores closing overnight

Fear of robbery has some stores closing for desperate hours

Friday, May 26, 2006
BY IRVIN KITTRELL III
Of The Patriot-News

Stephanie Diaz has an image about convenience store robberies locked in her mind, and it has her afraid to work an overnight shift.

Diaz, an early-evening cashier at Uni-Mart on Front Street in Susquehanna Twp., said, "It's really dangerous. That's the time when things happen. I have that scenario in my mind all the time."

Al Patel, who works at Shop and Drive in the 2200 block of Herr Street, said his store closes at 10 p.m. because no one wants to face desperate robbers in the early morning.

"We have to protect ourselves," he said. "We have families, too, and we want to go home."

A 22-year-old cashier at the City Gas and Diesel convenience store at 16th and State streets in Harrisburg didn't make it home yesterday. Hitender Thakur of Mandi, India, was killed when a robber shot him in the chest.

There were no witnesses to the crime, police said. No arrests have been made.

Thakur, who normally worked the afternoon shift, changed to nights to attend Harrisburg Area Community College and study nursing. He wanted to work with the World Health Organization.

D. Lee Bigelow, who works at the A-Plus in Camp Hill, said he would have no problems working the overnight shift. He has worked as a cab driver and said he was robbed three times doing that job.

"I had plenty experience being robbed," Bigelow said. "It's no fun."

Bigelow, a Republican committeeman in Harrisburg's 15th Ward, said businesses and police must work together in stopping crime. He said he believes a convenience store should not have to close because of crime.

"I wouldn't want to put this on a business, to have to shut down because of an increase in crime," he said. "I don't know what you can do."

Vijay Patel, a relative of Al Patel, works at One Stop at Third and Forster streets in Harrisburg. He said his store closes at 11 p.m.

"There's too much risk," he said. "We want to be safe."

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 3:40 PM
Me?!?

Man, is this going to be weird at first! My whole life I drove only one way down that section of Paxton St.

SWATARA TWP.

Paxton St. to become two-way in July

Tuesday, May 30, 2006
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

Over the past four years, David Balinski has gotten used to people saying, "You can't get there from here."

He hopes that excuse becomes obsolete in July, when the eastern part of Paxton Street becomes a two-way thoroughfare from the Harrisburg Mall to Eisenhower Boulevard in Swatara Twp.

"For four years, people have been telling us, 'We see you but don't know how to get there,'" said Balinski, vice president of development for Crossgates, the developer that opened the TecPort Business Center on the former AMP Inc. campus.

"People get frustrated when they see TecPort from Interstate 83 but can't get to it," he said. "But now that all of Paxton Street will be two-way, they will have direct access to our frontage."

The east end of Paxton Street, recently renamed Bass Pro Way from the Harrisburg Mall to Eisenhower Boulevard, was a two-way road linking Harrisburg and Hershey in the 1960s.

The goal was to convert this area to a two-way segment by last Thanksgiving.

Greg Penny, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, and Swatara Twp. Administrator Paul Cornell said that work on sewer lines and manhole covers caused some delays.

As part of the $4.1 million project, nearly a mile of Paxton Street has been widened and traffic signals were being installed at 40th and Paxton streets and at both ends of Friendship Road.

The eastern part of Paxton Street will have two, three and four lanes in areas, plus turning lanes for those wishing to go to the mall, TecPort and businesses.

Mark Noble, Harrisburg Mall general manager, said the two-way Paxton Street will benefit the mall, its employees and its shoppers.

"With the renovation of the Harrisburg Mall, the growth of TecPort and housing behind the mall, there is obviously a heavier positive traffic flow," he said.

"Now, everyone who leaves the mall has to go right, although I'm sure many would like to go left.

"Despite the inconvenience this project has caused, mall management and most tenants understand that PennDOT has been doing the best it can to get things done."

Businesses at and adjacent to TecPort include ComputerAid, Capital Blue Cross, Trane Corp., Commerce Bank/Harrisburg, K&W, Masco Construction, G-Tech, Faulkner Nissan, Health America, Homewood Suites and Sheetz.

Several restaurants have opened, including Ruby Tuesday, Fuddruckers, Isaac's Restaurant and Deli, Toscano's and Cornerstone Coffeehouse.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 6:01 PM
so what's the big deal?

Great news about Paxton Street. That whole area never made sense to me the way it is. It was like that old New England phrase, "Yah cahn't get theh from here."

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 12:37 AM
joining the rail club

^ lol. i'm glad to hear paxton street is being reconverted into a two way arterial road.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 1:57 PM
Me?!?

I am happy to report that a lot of the trucks and what not have been cleared out of the area south between the train tracks and Front St and construction is about to begin....the Southern Gateway Project is underway!!!

It will be very cool now that I am living out of the area, as each time I come back to HBG I will be able to see the progress!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 5:06 AM
so what's the big deal?

Yo Yo EastSide...be sure to bring your camera on your trips back to Harrisburg...some project progress pics (try saying that 3 times fast...) would be an excellent addition to the Thread.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 8:52 PM
Me?!?

I most certainly will do, MJBJR!

Btw, I am totally moved and [almost] all settled in now (just got my internet back today in fact ), and really loving SE PA! There is a HUGE difference between the regions (much more than I expected to be honest with you) and you don't notice just how much until you live here. I have adjusted quite nicely, and although it may sound strange, I feel more at home here in the last few days than I have in all of my 28 years in da 'burg...

...but make no mistake, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for my love/hate relationship with my hometown!

I decided to check on some of the HBG news and boy, am I glad I did!

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040

FOR IMMEDIATE USE
05 June 2006

MAJOR UPGRADE TO HARRISBURG TRANSPORTATION CENTER UNDERWAY

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and U.S. Representative Tim Holden today announced that major upgrades are now underway at the historic Harrisburg Transportation Center in the 400 block of Market Street.

The Center, which dates to the 19th Century, is the modern hub for interstate and local bus service and interstate passenger rail. It will be the main hub for the planned regional rail transit system when this system is operational with the first transit corridor being from Harrisburg to Lancaster.

The $5,144,495 project includes:

o Exterior plaza upgrade, involving the removal of existing cobblestone pavers, and placement of new roadway, sidewalks, curbs, planting beds and flagpoles, along with major deck repairs

o In the building’s interior, work will include repair or replacement of floors, walls, wood panels, railing, signage, toilet accessories, plumbing, two elevators, ceilings, beams and new mechanical units and roofing work

o Placement of a new security station in the office lobby area

o Installation of a new fire alarm system

o Replacement of an existing sanitary sewer line

o Replacement of concrete sidewalks around bus shelter

o The addition of two interior water fountains for passenger use

o Extensive interior and exterior painting

o Addition of two new air handling units, and extensive other mechanical, roofing, safety and site work

Reed said work has now started. With exterior plaza and entranceway upgrades underway, the taxi cab area has been temporarily relocated from the front of the Transportation Center to Blackberry Street, directly across from the plaza.

Further, until October, Capital Area Transit buses that normally travel through the Transportation Center plaza will use S. 4th Street to travel to Chestnut Street. The bus stop shelter inside the train station is relocated to S. 4th Street and Chestnut Streets for Routes 8, 15 and 19. All other bus routes will pick-up and drop-off passengers at the same 4th and Chestnut Streets bus shelter.

Funding for the project comes from multiple sources, with most of it deriving from federal transportation monies totaling $4,081,100. The remainder is provided by the state and city.

“We especially appreciate the leadership and successful efforts of Congressman Holden in assuring that this inter-modal transportation facility would be upgraded to accommodate the expanding bus and rail traffic we handle,” Reed said. “This is a project vital to the region and state and our Congressman’s good efforts have made it possible.”

The Harrisburg Transportation Center is managed and operated by the city’s Redevelopment Authority and is owned by Amtrak. In addition to accommodating major bus and rail passenger components, it includes upper floors of office space rented by various businesses and agencies, and additionally includes retail space in the main station lobby.

DEE & DEBS RESTAURANT ADDS TO RESTAURANT ROW MENU

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today cut the ribbon to officially open the new Dee & Deb’s Restaurant at 221 N. 2nd Street, in the heart of downtown’s Restaurant Row District. The new eatery features breakfast and lunch service and is open 7 days a week.

Reed said the Dee and Debs is owned and operated by longtime city restaurateur Deb Saphore, who previously operated a downtown lunchtime restaurant on Walnut Street. The new dining establishment is considerably larger than her former space, occupying 3,500 sq. ft. of space and seating 45. Four full and part time jobs are created by the new restaurant opening.

The Mayor said Dee and Deb’s will be open 7 days a week for breakfast and luncheon service. Dee and Deb’s features homestyle cooking with an extensive breakfast menu that features Deb’s signature homemade pastries. Soups, sandwiches, salads and other American fare highlight the luncheon menu.

“We are delighted to welcome Dee and Deb’s back to downtown’s growing culinary scene,” said Mayor Reed. “Deb’s delectable creations have been a popular favorite for downtown diners for many years, and we are pleased she has now returned.”

Reed said Dee and Deb’s is open Mondays through Fridays from 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The restaurant also provides catering services for up to 500. Dee and Deb’s can be reached at (717) 233.1645, or via fax at (717) 920.5322. They are also located on the Internet at www.DeeDebsCatering.com.

Last edited by EastSideHBG; Jun 6, 2006 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 8:56 PM
Me?!?

Who would've thunk it, progressive thinking in Dillsburg?!?

CARROLL TWP., YORK COUNTY
Plan for housing complex builds on some old basics
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
BY T.W. BURGER
Of Our Dillsburg Bureau

DILLSBURG - The old is new again in Carroll Twp., York County.

Presbyterian Homes Inc., based in Mechanicsburg, is building a complex in the "traditional neighborhood" format for low- to moderate-income older residents.

The style features mixed residential, retail and green space, all within easy walking distance.

If the design seems familiar, it should.

It is how most towns and cities in this region evolved in the late 18th- through early 20th centuries.

Because the "live-work" concept of community planning fell out of favor nationwide toward the middle of the last century, municipalities typically have to change their zoning regulations to allow this traditional style of living.

The result, planners say, is what is called urban sprawl: open space being gobbled up by separate retail and residential areas, laced together by a tangle of traffic-choked roads.

PHI broke ground on Schartner House, the first phase of its Carroll Village project, on May 27. The site is on 65 acres between U.S. Route 15 and the Gettysburg Pike.

Township Manager Dianne Price said that, to her knowledge, it is the first project of its type in the region.

The $8.5 million project will be made up of 50 one- and two-bedroom apartments for residents 62 and older whose annual income falls below 60 percent of the median income in the area. Rent for the apartments will range from $235 to $825 a month, said Stephen E. Proctor, CEO of Presbyterian Homes.

n six to eight years, the project will expand across the 65 acres and include apartments, single-family houses, duplex cottages and town houses, all linked by open walkable areas and undetermined civic space, such as a community center.

Carroll Village will have a population of around 300 seniors when the project is complete, Proctor said. PHI will move its offices to the complex.

"This project will be used us as a model for other folks. Projects like this are gaining popularity in other areas around the country, and we expect there to be more in the Dillsburg area," he said.

Price said the design works well for all demographics, not just older residents.

"It would be nice in all age groups. We are trying to connect a lot of these places with walkable spaces," she said.

The firm had its offices in Dillsburg from the 1940s until the early 1980s. The Rev. Albert Schartner, for whom the project is named, was a Dillsburg resident and 30-year CEO of PHI. Proctor and his family live just outside Dillsburg.

Patty Adami of Harrisburg, a planner for Third Age, which does strategic planning for consultants on retirement communities, said retirement communities no longer are relegated to remote areas.

"People want to stay close to services, transportation, doctors, things they can access quickly, sometimes without getting into a car," she said. "People want to be able to access the community at large and don't want to be isolated. They don't want to just be around old people."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 6:15 PM

From the Central Penn Business Journal:
HU to unveil high-rise plan at meeting
Harrisburg University will unveil a preliminary land-development plan for a high-rise on the corner of Fourth and Market streets at tonight's Harrisburg Planning Commission meeting. The plan is for a 20-story high rise with space for university classrooms, offices, labs, library areas and parking. - Julia Taylor

Since the meeting is tonight, we'll probably see the renderings and article with the details come out tomorrow. I can't wait! I still wish it was going to be the 25-story new tallest it was originally planned to be.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 6:29 PM
Me?!?

Wow, that bldg. keeps getting scaled down and it went from 25 to 23 to 22 now to 20. Oh well I am not complaining at all because 20-stories in HBG is still a lot LOL I am curious to see the design and I will be on the lookout for sure, and I hope it is something modern *please be glass* *please be glass*. The HBG skyline is sure filling in isn't it! Add in these new buildings (this and Market Square Plaza; she's still new in my book) and the Southern and Northern Gateway projects and you will have one impressive skyline in the decades to come!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 1:40 AM
joining the rail club

^ i completely agree Dave. the skyline is definately coming along. i like the size of the university building but i do wish other corporate entities would invest in downtown...such as commerce bank or another financial institution with the capital to build a new tallest. i'm tired of seeing big business eyeing up big suburban spreads...when the CBD is ripe for development.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 5:12 PM
Me?!?

Anybody catch any renderings yet?!?

HARRISBURG

University tower plan graduates to council

Friday, June 09, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Like a star pupil, Harrisburg University's planned 20-story headquarters building, proposed for Fourth and Market streets, is acing the city's approval process.

The Harrisburg Planning Commission voted 6-0 this week to sign off on the plans, thereby sending the project to the City Council for final approval.

Steve Cordaro, a senior engineer with Benatec Associates and one of the building's designers, said the plan is to have all of the necessary approvals and permits in hand by the summer and to break ground this fall.

The pre-cast concrete, brick and glass tower is expected to take two years to build, Cordaro said, with initial occupancy scheduled for the winter of 2008.

University officials and building designers said they are pricing materials and working out how much construction would cost.

The headquarters for the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology would contain college classrooms, hundreds of parking spaces, retail businesses, a library and a 125-seat auditorium.

In addition, there would be administrative suites and a rooftop garden and courtyard but no residential quarters for students.

The building's signature feature would be a distinctive over-hanging roof that resembles a graduation cap.

The tower would rise nearly 240 feet above Market Street. Only 333 Market St., home to the state Department of Education across Market Street, would be taller.

Its six stories of classroom and lab space would be enough for as many as 1,800 students.

It would provide a home for the growing university for 10 to 12 years, university officials have said.

It would also boast more than 500 parking spaces and include ground-level connections to Strawberry Square.

The university enrolled its first tuition-paying class of 110 students in September.

It is sharing space with the affiliated SciTech High in the 200 block of Market Street.

While officials have said the proposed building would meet the university's needs until 2018, they remain interested in acquiring the U.S. Postal Service property at 813 Market St.

Whoa!!!

FOX'S

Fox's to close area market

Union Deposit store unable to renew its lease

Friday, June 09, 2006
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

The owner of Fox's Food Markets Inc. said he will close the store off Union Deposit Road by the end of the month because the lease there will end.

"We were not able to negotiate a satisfactory extension" for the store at Dauphin Plaza, said Bill Fox, president of the family-owned supermarket company.

There are no immediate plans to open another store in the Harrisburg area. "At this point we don't have any other location in mind," he said.

The 52,000-square-foot store employs 70 full- and part-time workers, he said. Many of them will be shifted to Fox's stores in Middletown and Hershey, both of which are otherwise unaffected by the closing, he said.

Fox's has been at Dauphin Plaza since 2000. Previously, it was at The Point shopping center in Lower Paxton Twp.

"We're not happy to close a location," he said. "We have a lot of loyal customers, many of whom shopped with us at The Point, as well."

Dan Mortimer, property manager with WP Realty Inc. of Bryn Mawr, the manager of the Susquehanna Twp. shopping center, said he could not say anything about what would fill Fox's space.

Bob Gorland, a retail consultant who specializes in supermarket and shopping center feasibility studies, said the Fox's space has "been reportedly for sale for a couple years."

Gorland is vice president in the Harrisburg office of Matthew P. Casey &Associates.

Fox said the Dauphin Plaza store was doing "OK" in a very competitive environment.

Gorland said competition has been intense in that area because of a growing volume of stores, including a Giant supermarket that replaced Fox's at The Point, plus the expanded Wal-Mart Supercenter and remodeled Sam's store along Route 322, as well as the Costco store at the Paxton Towne Centre in Lower Paxton Twp.

"They're up against some very strong price-dominated retailers," he said. "While they're a very good overall operator, they're in a very competitive marketplace."

In that type of environment, "it's not an unusual situation that the small independent gets hit the hardest," Gorland said.

Gorland added that the store's location has proven troublesome not only for Fox's, but the previous supermarket company, Festival Foods.

"That location has suffered over the years as far as getting a strong overall draw" from people living east of Interstate 83 who have higher family incomes, he said.

The Fox's closing is the second major tenant at the complex to shut down within the past nine months.

Office Depot closed at the shopping center last September. Mortimer said he expects to be able to announce a deal involving the Office Depot soon.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 5:13 PM
Me?!?

CQ Air has a way to go to get off the ground

Friday, June 09, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

The Web site for CQ Air, a startup airline that says it plans to offer service at Harrisburg International Airport, hints that the airline will let "the secret out" in a few weeks.

CQ Air Chairman Roger Sedlak did not respond to requests to comment. But statements from officials with federal regulatory agencies suggest that CQ Air has a way to go before it can begin flight service at HIA.

CQ Air's interest in HIA became public after a letter of support from Mike Adams, CQ's senior project manager, was included in a grant application for federal funding submitted by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport.

The application refers to service proposed by CQ Air that would include two flights daily with regional jets and turboprop aircraft. The service would start this summer and run through 2007.

According to the application, CQ Air seeks $100,000, including $75,000 from the FAA and $12,500 each from Luzerne and Lackawanna counties.

"CQ Airlines is pleased to offer this letter in support of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport's Small Community Air Development Grant application for nonstop Harrisburg service on CQ Airlines, and the addition of other Intra and Interstate markets," Adams wrote in the April 6 letter. "The funding of this application will almost guarantee our implementation of low-cost service in this market and the access through our new proposed hub in MDT." MDT is the airport code for Harrisburg International Airport.

CQ Air had set June 5 as the date to announce its service, but the announcement was postponed. Adams told The Patriot-News that CQ Air still plans to offer service in Harrisburg, but he would not say when.

CQ Air is renting space at HIA for its headquarters, HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa said. He said HIA and CQ Air do not have any other agreements, such as a lease for an airport gate.

"This is a startup. It may take as much as a year," Testa said.

Nor does CQ Air have lease agreements at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, according to Airport Director Barry J. Centini.

"We put them down as a potential" carrier in the grant application, Centini said. He said he has not heard whether the federal government will provide funding.

Applications and hurdles:

The U.S. Department of Transportation doesn't have an application from CQ Air for a certificate of public convenience and necessity, known as "a fitness certificate," spokesman Bill Mosley said. Several weeks are needed for an airline to obtain a certificate, Mosley said. During a required public comment period, anyone may object to the airline being granted a certificate.

An applicant also must demonstrate adequate finances to run an airline. In addition, a company must document legal compliance, meet a U.S. citizenship standard and show that it has experienced management to run an airline.

The CQ Air Web site lists openings for pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and administrative positions. In recent weeks, it has run advertisements in newspapers, including The Patriot-News, seeking to fill the positions.

The Federal Aviation Administration normally has startup airlines apply for a new air carrier certification. This process can take up to two years, FAA spokesman Jim Peters said.

Peters said a CQ Air official told FAA officials in Harrisburg that CQ had purchased "an existing operating certificate from another carrier." Peters said the official didn't provide further information.

"There are a lot of questions that need to be answered. They haven't provided the information we need to assist them for starting up service," Peters said. "CQ representatives need to contact the FAA to tell us what their intentions are at HIA."

Even if CQ Air has purchased the certificate, the company still needs FAA approvals related to who is running the airline and what kind of aircraft it will use, Peters said.

The FAA also must approve the airline's "city pairs," basically the arrangements CQ Air has in place to fly from one airport to another.

Peters said CQ Air might intend to provide service through another airline. If so, CQ Air likely doesn't need pilots.

CQ Air doesn't need state approval to operate an airline in Pennsylvania, said Kirk Wilson, spokesman for the state Bureau of Aviation. The only requirements would be those that apply to any company that wants to do business in the state generally, he said.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 12:06 AM
Me?!?

Any renderings yet? I searched briefly but came up with nothing.

And for those interested, my thoughts on HBG:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=102221&page=5

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 1:51 AM

HU Rendering

Hey Eastside,

Here's a link to an HU site article with a pretty nice rendering. This is the same pic I think I saw in the Patriot as well.

http://www.harrisburgu.net/news/article.php?id=96

Also, I can really appreciate your comments about central PA. I lived down between Baltimore and DC (about 15 mins from either city) for a couple of years, and things are definitely a lot different. But also, like you said, its a total love-hate relationship. When I was down there, there were definitely awesome parts about it, like just hopping on the Metro and being in DC in a few minutes and having a lot of shops, restaurants, sites, etc that you can't get in H'burg. But at the same time, I still found myself missing things about PA (quick escape to great hiking, outdoors, the river; relatively ease of travel around the area i.e. not nearly as much traffic, and a much lower cost of living) I can afford an apartment here that is honestly twice as nice as the craphole I had in MD. It's a trade off either way, but again, like you stated, different stages of life make the scales tip one way or the other. I think this area does have a great future ahead of it, and it's nice to feel like I can be a part of it. But I can also definitely see the advantages of a larger, different metro. Hope everything stays great for you in SE PA Eastside, and keep on posting here, cause it gives a few of us geeks something to blab about.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 4:07 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingy04
Hey Eastside,

Here's a link to an HU site article with a pretty nice rendering. This is the same pic I think I saw in the Patriot as well.

Oooo, I REALLY like that building! Thanks a lot, klingy04.

Quote:
Also, I can really appreciate your comments about central PA. I lived down between Baltimore and DC (about 15 mins from either city) for a couple of years, and things are definitely a lot different. But also, like you said, its a total love-hate relationship. When I was down there, there were definitely awesome parts about it, like just hopping on the Metro and being in DC in a few minutes and having a lot of shops, restaurants, sites, etc that you can't get in H'burg. But at the same time, I still found myself missing things about PA (quick escape to great hiking, outdoors, the river; relatively ease of travel around the area i.e. not nearly as much traffic, and a much lower cost of living) I can afford an apartment here that is honestly twice as nice as the craphole I had in MD. It's a trade off either way, but again, like you stated, different stages of life make the scales tip one way or the other. I think this area does have a great future ahead of it, and it's nice to feel like I can be a part of it. But I can also definitely see the advantages of a larger, different metro. Hope everything stays great for you in SE PA Eastside, and keep on posting here, cause it gives a few of us geeks something to blab about.
LOL thanks a lot, klingy04!

And yes, that is one thing that will always draw people to HBG: the cost of living is dirt cheap compared to the rest of the NE/Mid-Atlantic region! Even though Philly is not up there with DC standards, it is still WAY more expensive than Harrisburg for sure, and I can easily see why you would be able to find an apt. twice as nice as what you had in MD. Heck, for what we pay for our 2 BR apt. in the Philly area we could be renting a 3 BR HOUSE...literally!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 4:12 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingy04
Hey Eastside,

Oooo, I REALLY like that building! Thanks a lot, klingy04.

Quote:
LOL thanks a lot, klingy04!

And yes, that is one thing that will always draw people to HBG: the cost of living is dirt cheap compared to the rest of the NE/Mid-Atlantic region! Even though Philly is not up there with DC standards, it is still WAY more expensive than Harrisburg for sure, and I can easily see why you would be able to find an apt. twice as nice as what you had in MD. Heck, for what we pay for our 2 BR apt. in the Philly area we could be renting a 3 BR HOUSE...literally!

Best of luck to you too, klingy04, and please help keep this thread going and you, wrightchr, harrisburger, etc., need to be my new eyes and ears in Harrisburg.

Btw, if my memory serves me correctly, was it your wife that was having a tough time finding a job? If it was, I sure hope she did and is liking it!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 2:37 AM
joining the rail club

^ thanks dave. i'm working a lot lately, so i'm finding it hard to keep up with things on the forum. i think everytime i log on, you've already beaten me to posting stuff on here my wife was having a terrible time finding a job in her field, so now she decided to go back to school and get her teaching certificate. it may take her another year or so but she wants to be an elementary school teacher. i found out i'm going back on active duty for the army this october...5 month training school down in suburban DC (northern virginia).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations