HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:30 AM

Stadium District

http://azbex.com/asu-seeks-developer...d-use-project/

http://azbex.com/asu-seeks-innovatio...t-development/

This project was mentioned briefly a couple of weeks ago, but I think it deserves more attention. ASU is looking for developers to develop a new stadium district that includes/covers the current football stadium, basketball stadium, Karsten Golf Course, and loosely the land south of the lake and north of University Drive, along Rural Road.

I understand the stadium requires extensive repairs, but I just don't like the scale and expense of such a large development scheme. The project has the potential to add to the atmosphere of Downtown Tempe and the lake and connect the Tempe Marketplace development as a regional retail/shopping district.

I also think such a grand project has the potential to take away from Downtown Tempe, which is just finally starting to improve at a reasonable rate. Though ASU does state that the Stadium District will focus on spas and other sports related business opportunities. Taking away Karsten is also not ideal in my eyes, as ASU is one of four universities with an on campus golf course.

ASU's entire attitude on the project makes me uncomfortable as well. ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson has said "It's going to happen." And Mark Mitchell doesn't seem concerned enough for the life of Downtown Tempe. The whole project just seems dirty in my mind.

I'm interested in what everyone has to say on the topic.

This is also my first post, so Hello to everyone.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Arch Student View Post

This project was mentioned briefly a couple of weeks ago, but I think it deserves more attention. ASU is looking for developers to develop a new stadium district that includes/covers the current football stadium, basketball stadium, Karsten Golf Course, and loosely the land south of the lake and north of University Drive, along Rural Road.

I understand the stadium requires extensive repairs, but I just don't like the scale and expense of such a large development scheme. The project has the potential to add to the atmosphere of Downtown Tempe and the lake and connect the Tempe Marketplace development as a regional retail/shopping district.

I also think such a grand project has the potential to take away from Downtown Tempe, which is just finally starting to improve at a reasonable rate. Though ASU does state that the Stadium District will focus on spas and other sports related business opportunities. Taking away Karsten is also not ideal in my eyes, as ASU is one of four universities with an on campus golf course.

ASU's entire attitude on the project makes me uncomfortable as well. ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson has said "It's going to happen." And Mark Mitchell doesn't seem concerned enough for the life of Downtown Tempe. The whole project just seems dirty in my mind.

I'm finding it hard to be partial to Karsten though. If it really mattered then I don't think Coach Mickelson or his brother Phil would be involved with the Men's program. He had to know going in that this was the situation moving forward. Heck hardly any of the golf alums were involved prior to the hiring of Patterson but that's sort of been the MO for Sun Devil Athletics.

Not like the Athletic Department is financially fit either with one of the lowest revenues in the conference hence why they the Stadium District route. I think it also gives further reason for the Streetcar to head eastward on Rio Salado.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 4:37 AM

Quote:

Welcome Land Arch Student!
My thought about the whole athletic complex is why not? Karsten is very pretty to drive by, but being so close to Town Lake, and being between Tempe Marketplace and Downtown- well- the land has got to be pretty valuable. The Phoenix area has no shortage of golf courses for ASU students to play.
As far as detracting from Mill Avenue, I don't see that happening. I think increasing the activity level in the area, and bringing in more people and more businesses will only fuel the energy of the Mill Avenue area. Mill is Mill, and people will always go there to have a good night out. And if the Street Car does eventually connect Mill with the new athletic complex- and then Tempe Marketplace and the Cubs new Spring Training center- then I can foresee people using it for pub crawls and getting between all these hot spots.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you don't think Mark Mitchell cares about downtown? I got the opposite impression when I voted for him. One of his goals is to attract a convention center to Downtown Tempe and to continue attracting more and more diverse businesses to the area. I know he has some reservations about the Street Car- and frankly- so do I. I'm an advocate for public transportation, and I use Metro to go between Tempe and Phoenix frequently, but the Street Car route- as it stands: between Southern and Rio Salado completely puzzles me. Is there really that much of a demand to have a fixed rail system between Southern and downtown? Are they going to put in a park and ride at Southern? The area along Mill between Southern and Rio Salado is already pretty nice (for the most part) - so I don't see much in the way for redevelopment opportunities, unless the plan is to tear down all the existing stuff and densify further. The Orbit already runs this route- and it's free to use, so I honestly don't understand the logic behind the chosen route. Running it along Rio Salado makes sense to me. Connect Tempe Marketplace and Mesa Riverview. Those are high traffic- major draws. What is at Southern? The library and the History Museum yes- but hmm...
Anyway- sorry I'm rambling.. Those are my thoughts lol.
Again- welcome. Good question!!!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you don't think Mark Mitchell cares about downtown? I got the opposite impression when I voted for him. One of his goals is to attract a convention center to Downtown Tempe and to continue attracting more and more diverse businesses to the area. I know he has some reservations about the Street Car- and frankly- so do I. I'm an advocate for public transportation, and I use Metro to go between Tempe and Phoenix frequently, but the Street Car route- as it stands: between Southern and Rio Salado completely puzzles me. Is there really that much of a demand to have a fixed rail system between Southern and downtown? Are they going to put in a park and ride at Southern? The area along Mill between Southern and Rio Salado is already pretty nice (for the most part) - so I don't see much in the way for redevelopment opportunities, unless the plan is to tear down all the existing stuff and densify further. The Orbit already runs this route- and it's free to use, so I honestly don't understand the logic behind the chosen route. Running it along Rio Salado makes sense to me. Connect Tempe Marketplace and Mesa Riverview. Those are high traffic- major draws. What is at Southern? The library and the History Museum yes- but hmm...

Agree completely (except that I couldn't vote for Mitchell because I live in Phoenix). I'm not sure why Mitchell is seen as anti-Downtown and would like to hear some clarification. Likewise, I favor an east-west streetcar along Rio Salado over the currently proposed north-south one along Mill. South of Gammage and St. Luke's, Mill is mostly neighborhoods of single family homes without a lot of vacant lots that offer an opportunity for high-density development.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:49 AM

I didn't mean to say that Mitchell was anti-downtown, because everyone should be, what I meant was that I was slightly uncomfortable with how laxed he seemed in the article, and how confident Steve Patterson seemed. This large of a project will require a lot, A LOT, of collaboration between ASU, DTC, and the City Council. I also don't like that the project will pay no property taxes, which takes away from the entire Tempe community.

I understand that the streetcar is meant to alleviate Rural Road as a transportation corridor, along with connect people with downtown even more so. Really, in my opinion, either route would be great for Tempe in terms of increasing the diversity of transportation options for the people. Funding for the streetcar worries me too, especially since the Tempe budget is as it currently stands. However, I believe the thought is to get something permanent in the ground and then ask for federal funding to expand the route.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:54 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
I didn't mean to say that Mitchell was anti-downtown, because everyone should be
Huh?

Quote:
I also don't like that the project will pay no property taxes, which takes away from the entire Tempe community..
It doesn't benefit the Tempe community directly through property taxes, but it does benefit the community in a myriad of other ways. The project theoretically lets ASU be more competitive, if ASU is better at sports, especially football and basketball, that brings tons of money to Tempe.

If Sun Devil Stadium is in better shape, it means the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl won't ever be leaving. If the athletic complex happens, it means Tempe & PHX could jointly host the Pan American Games.

If Sun Devil Stadium has a shade structure and its tolerable heat wise, it means SDS can host World Cup soccer matches along w/ UofP next time the World cup comes to the USA.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:57 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean to say that Mitchell was anti-downtown, because everyone should be, what I meant was that I was slightly uncomfortable with how laxed he seemed in the article, and how confident Steve Patterson seemed. This large of a project will require a lot, A LOT, of collaboration between ASU, DTC, and the City Council. I also don't like that the project will pay no property taxes, which takes away from the entire Tempe community.

I understand that the streetcar is meant to alleviate Rural Road as a transportation corridor, along with connect people with downtown even more so. Really, in my opinion, either route would be great for Tempe in terms of increasing the diversity of transportation options for the people. Funding for the streetcar worries me too, especially since the Tempe budget is as it currently stands. However, I believe the thought is to get something permanent in the ground and then ask for federal funding to expand the route.
One misunderstanding perpetrated by conservatives is that this project will "takeaway" property taxes from the community. The fact of the matter is that because this property is owned by ASU it is not taxable to begin with. The government (and ASU is a government entity because it is owned by the State) does not typically tax itself; however, there will be taxes taken in by the state, county, and city in the form of sales taxes, hotel fees, etc. associated with businesses within the development. Furthermore, in lieu of the State collecting property taxes from developers (a scenario that would occur if the land was not ASU's), private developers will pay ASU fees for the right to develop on campus. These fees will be used to sustain campus facilities...especially athletic facilities which are state property. This would basically take the State off the hook for paying the cost of necessary upgrades for university buildings.

The Tempe Streetcar is not only a Tempe project but one that Valley Metro has a stake in...and yes, the federal government is likely to offer transportation dollars for the project (if Obama is reelected that is). I like that the streetcar will head south on Mill. For one, it will ensure that the street remains extremely pedestrian oriented. There is also dense development planned for Mill Ave with the most impressive projects planned north of University and in a circle around to Ash. Ensuring that adequate transportation is available will help to alleviate future needs and traffic congestion by offering an alternative to driving: alternative transportation (walking, biking, bus, shuttle, and Zipcar) is extremely popular in Tempe. A streetcar is much more reliable and headway more predictable than buses; see South Lake Union Trolley in Seattle. There was a cool PowerPoint and animation showing potential development along the streetcar corridor. I will try to find that.

EDIT: This video with Steve Banta (CEO, Valley Metro Rail) shows some of the potential for dense development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUrxvV2bfI

Here is a video (no audio) that was created to showcase the potential for a Rio Salado expansion of the streetcar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKFy...feature=relmfu

Found it:
http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up...tion_METRO.pdf

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Oct 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:49 AM

The Mill Ave District website shows that Block 12 is already under construction...

http://www.millavenue.com/business/under-construction

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
The Mill Ave District website shows that Block 12 is already under construction...

There are signs up at the property location - check out the page before this last one- I posted some pictures of those signs - but no ground has been broken just yet...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post

For Block 12, the design is still being finalized, so it might be a few more months before construction actually begins. But, I think it will end up looking pretty cool. It is not as tall as the preliminary schematic designs, but it still should make a great impact on College Ave. Architekton is doing a pretty awesome job at shapping downtown Tempe. I really like their work, and think it is pretty awesome that they have a little more than half a dozen projects in the Tempe core.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:40 PM

I agree with Hoover. The project should not be in direct competition with downtown, it is offering other services that are not present on Mill. First and foremost, it is bringing more residents to the downtown area, which would greatly benefit Mill and all of Tempe. The proposal is not geared towards student housing, but actualy bringing more office space and non-university residents. This would greatly benefit the restaurants and bars in Mill, even if the project itself also has restaurants within it. Since ASU is a dry campus, the bar scene would probably grow at Mill.

Tempe is landlocked, so increasing density is the only way for it to grow; both in population and economicaly. I think that adding as much population and office space to our urban core is a great idea. Especially if it is being done in a well thoughout development with a long range plan. Lets remember that the plan is ment to go up in phases, and can be adjusted as needed.

I think it would be awesome if in 20 to 30 years from now we could see a dense (mid and high rise) core extending from Farmer to McClintock.

Last edited by Arquitect; Oct 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 3:34 AM

Luxury student housing project nears completion

Quote:
With the recent addition of its 19th floor, the $42.6 million student housing project under way near Arizona State University in Tempe now towers over the adjacent Sun Devil Stadium.
The taxpayer-backed project, dubbed Hub on Campus, is now the second-tallest apartment structure in Tempe and the third student housing project serving ASU’s main campus that bears no direct affiliation with the university. It’s on the Metro light rail line at the southeast corner of College Avenue and Veterans Way.
The high-rise is expected to propel the city’s vision of urban living and economic growth for Tempe’s already bustling downtown ...
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...ect-nears.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 3:34 PM

Looks like fencing is up around the Gracie's site. The interior of the store looks like it has been gutted and hopefully they will be going vertical before too long.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 8:29 PM

Argo at Town Lake - Under way!

Argo at Town Lake is under way! I drove by today and saw one of the old office buildings being demolished.
I'm excited that this project is moving forward. Great location- right near the Tempe Center for the Arts and the Lake!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Looks like fencing is up around the Gracie's site. The interior of the store looks like it has been gutted and hopefully they will be going vertical before too long.
Great to see that this project is going forward! I was worried the neighbors were going to succeed at blocking it. I really like how Apache is becoming denser and denser.

Also really excited to see that Argo will actually be having retail facing the TCA. I hope it brings a lot more life to the area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:14 PM

I wonder if the Rio Salado EcoDistrict (th ASU Stadium District) is Tempe's best shot at getting an actual grocery store downtown. The guidelines talk a lot about creating a self sustaining environment, and getting people to walk and bike, so it would make sense to have a grocery store within the project.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I wonder if the Rio Salado EcoDistrict (th ASU Stadium District) is Tempe's best shot at getting an actual grocery store downtown. The guidelines talk a lot about creating a self sustaining environment, and getting people to walk and bike, so it would make sense to have a grocery store within the project.
Just curious, where do you see this grocery store going within the district? I've always imagined the "downtown grocery" being built on the vacant lot at Ash and University. A grocery store at that location could cater to all of the professional's working downtown as well as the downtown and "West Tempe" residents.

As for the Streetcar, I see it heading down Rio Salado, connecting Ash to McClintock while passing all the great office buildings and residential housing that line the lake on the North side. I really hope Karsten is the last to go - I think the North side should be completely developed first. Having the Streetcar go to Southern seems silly and way too long term for me.

The one area I can't envision is what will be built on Rural between Rio Salado and University. Has anyone heard any possibilities of what will replace Packard Stadium, the tennis courts, frat houses etc.?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Just curious, where do you see this grocery store going within the district? I've always imagined the "downtown grocery" being built on the vacant lot at Ash and University. A grocery store at that location could cater to all of the professional's working downtown as well as the downtown and "West Tempe" residents.

As for the Streetcar, I see it heading down Rio Salado, connecting Ash to McClintock while passing all the great office buildings and residential housing that line the lake on the North side. I really hope Karsten is the last to go - I think the North side should be completely developed first. Having the Streetcar go to Southern seems silly and way too long term for me.

The one area I can't envision is what will be built on Rural between Rio Salado and University. Has anyone heard any possibilities of what will replace Packard Stadium, the tennis courts, frat houses etc.?
I would really like to see it along Rio Salado, that way it could also be easily accessible by the RS street car line (if it were to become a reality). I personaly would love something on Ash and University, since it is walking distance from me.

I think that area you mention will be the first to be developed. The Frats have already began to be demolished, so I could really see ASU pushing for the development to be phased from the south side first (closest to campus) to the lake edge last. For right now, there are no concrete plans about anything that will go in the ecoDistrict. And there won't really be anything until February, when ASU picks who will design and develop the area. Although, they have released some guidelines to what they would like to see, which basicaly seems to create a very dense, pedestrian and bike friendly community, which has a ton of mix-use, and has cutting-edge sustainability components. This Power Point actualy shows what ASU is looking for:

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazon...esentation.pdf

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:16 AM

McCord Hall was topped off yesterday. (source)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:13 PM

Great to see a full shot of the Hub! Although, I die a little bit inside looking at the amenities package and realizing this is for undergrads and not mid-career professionals. No wonder nobody wants to leave college these days...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest